Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:GO PORTUGAL! YOU CAN DO IT! SAVE ONE PIECE!
Doubt it, but if it makes you feel better they started to sell this here
Here's the site: https://pt.salvat.com/cole%C3%A7oes/onepiece/#entregas

What makes it strange is that there's even a tv ad to it, something really rare nowadays around here when it comes to anime merchandising.

For Dragon Ball, looks like new stuff is coming too - http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1783
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:

What makes it strange is that there's even a tv ad to it, something really rare nowadays around here when it comes to anime merchandising.

For Dragon Ball, looks like new stuff is coming too - http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1783
That reminds me, Selecta Visión is releasing One Piece Film: Gold with Portuguese subtitles it seems.

Does this mean they are releasing it for retail in Portugal too? It doesn't have Portuguese dub though, it's Spanish, Catalan and Japanese. But those Portuguese subtitles have to mean some sort of Portugal retail release or they wouldn't be there. I don't think it's just done for the sake of Portuguese people going and buy it in their favourite online shop or in some random trip to Spain. It's the first time I noticed this in a Selecta Visión release I think (I know Jonu Media did include them in some of their releases back when they were still around).

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Just passing by to announce that if anyone wants to check out the SIC K website has the first 4 episodes of Season 2 of DBS (27-52) and will probably continue to upload them since they air more than 1 episode daily.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Wesker wrote: That reminds me, Selecta Visión is releasing One Piece Film: Gold with Portuguese subtitles it seems.

Does this mean they are releasing it for retail in Portugal too? It doesn't have Portuguese dub though, it's Spanish, Catalan and Japanese. But those Portuguese subtitles have to mean some sort of Portugal retail release or they wouldn't be there. I don't think it's just done for the sake of Portuguese people going and buy it in their favourite online shop or in some random trip to Spain. It's the first time I noticed this in a Selecta Visión release I think (I know Jonu Media did include them in some of their releases back when they were still around).
I don't think we ever had anything about One Piece movies here. I remember when the list of countries that would screen One Piece Film: Gold was released, Portugal was indeed there which I thought to be a mistake. And it's a fact that the movie didn't hit the theaters here.

It's actually strange but your reasoning makes sense. There's a first time for everything, I guess.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Wesker wrote:I don't think we ever had anything about One Piece movies here. I remember when the list of countries that would screen One Piece Film: Gold was released, Portugal was indeed there which I thought to be a mistake. And it's a fact that the movie didn't hit the theaters here.

It's actually strange but your reasoning makes sense. There's a first time for everything, I guess.
If Portugal was on that list but it didn't really hit the theaters there and now Selecta Visión is releasing the home video edition for Spain (and I suppose Portugal) including Portuguese subtitles, then my guess is that Selecta Visión back in the day got the license rights of One Piece Film: Gold for both Spain and Portugal, managed to make the movie hit the Spanish theaters thanks to the support of the cinema distribution company Alfa Pictures like they have done with all their previous movies screened on theaters on Spain until now (Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection "F", One Piece Film: Gold and currently Your Name), plus they also got the Catalan government to pay the Catalan dub and screen it in that language too in Catalonia theaters, and maybe they also tried convincing some Portuguese cinema distribution company to help them screen the film in Portugal (and I suppose, get a Portuguese dub done that way) but they couldn't, so they had to skip the theater screening plans for your country and now they have done these Portuguese translated subtitles for the retail home video edition as an afterthought to at least make some profits of the rights. The better confirmation for this will be if you ever see the Selecta Visión Home Video editions (DVD, BD and Collector's DVD+BD) of One Piece Film: Gold for sale in your country. But again, it's just my guess.

This is in fact the only One Piece movie released by Selecta Visión as for now which includes Portuguese language. Selecta Visión has also licensed the entire back catalogue of previous One Piece movies (13 of them including One Piece Film: Gold) and they are releasing them in couples every two months, starting from the first 2000 movie. But these old movies are being released by Selecta Visión including only Spanish and Japanese voiced languages with Spanish subtitles, no Catalan dub (something the Catalan fans have been and still are especially mad against Selecta) and no Portuguese subtitles. So I believe it's all related to a specific license of One Piece Film: Gold for Portugal that they got together with the Spanish one as a sort of market test to enter the Portuguese market, because I don't think they have ever released anything in your country before (Jonu Media, again, seemed like they did releases in Portugal back when they still around, because I have some anime releases from then that also featured Portuguese subtitles).

I haven't checked the Portuguese subtitles in my copy of One Piece Film: Gold, so I don't know how they are and if they are actually related to your One Piece dubbisms somehow (I don't know your One Piece dubbisms anyway, I only know some of your Dragon Ball dubbisms), but I suppose they aren't and it will be a sort of clean translation in Portuguese. The Spanish dub translation of the One Piece movies are already a clean translation anyway, not related to the dubbisms of the anime series at all.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Welp, the next BD (episode 73-84) will only release in 02 August 2017. That's much further than I expected. It may take some time until we get that one.
We are stuck at episode 52. FT Trunks arc ends at episode 67.

We could still have the rest of the episodes until there and then have the risk of running out of episodes again soon.
Don't know wat Toei will do, but I think it would be smarter if countries aired FT Trunks arc fully as soon as possible and then stop for a longer time between major arcs.

If the arc was DBZ long I could understand but since it isn't, stop in the "middle" just feels like a kick in the balls.

I hope Feist don't forget his characters registry, with so many important ones he has to do.

On the bright side, people are always showing impatience about the series return in that facebook page which is a great thing.
As for the reruns in SIC K, it's been a success. Kids keep loving it.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:12 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Welp, the next BD (episode 73-84) will only release in 02 August 2017. That's much further than I expected. It may take some time until we get that one.

We could still have the rest of the episodes until there and then have the risk of running out of episodes again soon.
Don't know wat Toei will do, but I think it would be smarter if countries aired FT Trunks arc fully as soon as possible and then stop for a longer time between major arcs.

If the arc was DBZ long I could understand but since it isn't, stop in the "middle" just feels like a kick in the balls.

I hope Feist don't forget his characters registry, with so many important ones he has to do.

On the bright side, people are always showing impatience about the series return in that facebook page which is a great thing.
Our best guess to know when will get Super back is with France. They just started the FT arc so if they don't start dubbing before June then so won't we. I just hope we get a good Zamas(u). Even I did some dubbing tests I was thinking about posting on Youtube and sending them to someone that works on Audio In but I don't know. I am an actor since I was 6 years old and although I haven't done any done any dubs I have been told by Simon Frankel (a famous dub actor) that I'm good at it, but I guess that's one of the things I feel someone got to do instead of me (Yes I'm talking about Gabriel Gonçalves and yes I'm jealous becouse instead of him I can act).

EDIT: I'm sorry I got derailed. I needed to get this out of my system.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:35 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Welp, the next BD (episode 73-84) will only release in 02 August 2017. That's much further than I expected. It may take some time until we get that one.

Our best guess to know when will get Super back is with France. They just started the FT arc so if they don't start dubbing before June then so won't we. I just hope we get a good Zamas(u). Even I did some dubbing tests I was thinking about posting on Youtube and sending them to someone that works on Audio In but I don't know. I am an actor since I was 6 years old and although I haven't done any done any dubs I have been told by Simon Frankel (a famous dub actor) that I'm good at it, but I guess that's one of the things I feel someone got to do instead of me (Yes I'm talking about Gabriel Gonçalves and yes I'm jealous becouse instead of him I can act).

I hope Audio In cast Romeu Vala as Zamasu. I think he has potential for the role.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Guys I just realised something. While rewatching some episodes from the Z dub I realised that they went back and used the same lines on the flashbacks. What do you guys think of this? I have to say that it's actually a great easter egg and way to keep consitency with the Z dub, a weir way but a cool way.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon May 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Tian wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:

I hope Audio In cast Romeu Vala as Zamasu. I think he has potential for the role.
I think that contract new actors to do the new roles would be the best. It will be really weird to they continue to dubbing the series until the end with only 10 people in the voice cast. Romeu Vala as Zamasu would end sounding more or less like Whis and Yamcha, that he is already doing.

Portugal is not a big place when comes to the dubbing industry, but the time with one guy doing 30 roles in a dub has passed. Fairy Tail and other anime series that were dubbed in Portugal shows that. Actors like Bruno Ferreira, Michel Simeao, Carla Garcia, Sofia Brito, Rogério Jacques, Sônia Neves, Ricardo Monteiro, Tiago Matias, Mario Bomba, Ana Vieira, Júlio Martin, Peter Michael and a few others could easily dub some characters in Dragon Ball Super, instead of having the same 10 actors doing all the characters for all the time.

Well, even with 10 actors is better than before, since that in the original series, the european portuguese dub had 7 actors only. 7 to 10 it's something, but it can get better than that. A lot.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon May 01, 2017 6:49 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Tian wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:

I think that contract new actors to do the new roles would be the best. It will be really weird to they continue to dubbing the series until the end with only 10 people in the voice cast. Romeu Vala as Zamasu would end sounding more or less like Whis and Yamcha, that he is already doing.

Portugal is not a big place when comes to the dubbing industry, but the time with one guy doing 30 roles in a dub has passed. Fairy Tail and other anime series that were dubbed in Portugal shows that. Actors like Bruno Ferreira, Michel Simeao, Carla Garcia, Sofia Brito, Rogério Jacques, Sônia Neves, Ricardo Monteiro, Tiago Matias, Mario Bomba, Ana Vieira, Júlio Martin, Peter Michael and a few others could easily dub some characters in Dragon Ball Super, instead of having the same 10 actors doing all the characters for all the time.

Well, even with 10 actors is better than before, since that in the original series, the european portuguese dub had 7 actors only. 7 to 10 it's something, but it can get better than that. A lot.
1. Yeah, I remember I read dubs in Portugal were forbidden from 1948 until 1994 because of law to protect the cinematographic industry in the country.

2. I don't think she could because she sadly died last year.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:I am an actor since I was 6 years old and although I haven't done any done any dubs I have been told by Simon Frankel (a famous dub actor) that I'm good at it, but I guess that's one of the things I feel someone got to do instead of me (Yes I'm talking about Gabriel Gonçalves and yes I'm jealous becouse instead of him I can act).
Oh, this is interesting. Where have you acted?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue May 02, 2017 2:34 am

Wesker wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:

That reminds me, Selecta Visión is releasing One Piece Film: Gold with Portuguese subtitles it seems.

Are you sure? The FNAC and DVDGO pages only mention Spanish and Catalan subtitles...

http://www.dvdgo.com/dvd-one-piece-gold---dvd--/5228493
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:01 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:I am an actor since I was 6 years old and although I haven't done any done any dubs I have been told by Simon Frankel (a famous dub actor) that I'm good at it, but I guess that's one of the things I feel someone got to do instead of me (Yes I'm talking about Gabriel Gonçalves and yes I'm jealous becouse instead of him I can act).
Oh, this is interesting. Where have you acted?
I'm part of a semi-professional theatre group and I've done shows through the entire country and right now I'm doing my first professional theatre job. I'm nowhere near as experienced as some in the cast but at least I'm a lot more experienced than others and I have proof. Sorry, getting derailed again.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Kingpin Books posted this on facebook:

Looks like they will kick off the DBS manga in our country, but just like the Full Color Volumes it's the english version.

It would be cool if some company translated the manga to portuguese and we had Toyotaro coming to our Comic Con to promote it, just how it happened with France and Italy.
That would finally make my trip to there be worth.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Kingpin Books posted this on facebook:

Looks like they will kick off the DBS manga in our country, but just like the Full Color Volumes it's the english version.

It would be cool if some company translated the manga to portuguese and we had Toyotaro coming to our Comic Con to promote it, just how it happened with France and Italy.
That would finally make my trip to there be worth.
The only way I would want a Portuguese version of the DBS manga is if it was made by Devir. Their editions are always top notch.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 06, 2017 5:50 pm

-DBS portuguese manga-

Iberanime is happening this weekened and Devir was there. I took the chance to ask them about it.

So this is what is happening. They have high interest in licensing DBS, but Shueisha is making it hard because for them to get DBS, they have to do DB first.
DB manga was already fully translated to portuguese by Planeta deAgostini, and years later ASA released a new version who got canceled in Volume 18 by unknown reasons.

Their problem with that requirement from Shueisha is that, the main generation that grew up with Dragon Ball in 90's may not have interest in the manga at all.
There are manga fans yeah, but the manga is nowhere near as popular as the anime and to have all that trouble just to get to DBS, what they really want, is keeping them away.
Especially when they can get easily other mainstream mangas like Tokyo Ghoul and One Punch Man and make money with them.

The reason why they are interested in DBS manga it's because it's a new series of the Dragon Ball franchise that didn't get touched by any other portuguese company yet, and because DBS is bringing a new generation to the franchise, who most of them know what a manga is.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat May 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Could they not just take the previous complete translation and do a quiet digital-only release on various storefronts (Kindle Store, Google Play, iBooks, whatever digital platforms for books are available in Portugal) just so they could say they did it and then move on to Super?

It wouldn't solve the issue of them having to spend extra money to license something that they aren't sure anyone actually wants to buy, but at least that way the production costs would be minimized.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Goddammit Shueisha!!! Why do you have to make things so complicated?! Just let Devir have the DBS Manga and bring Toyotaro to Portugal for Comic-Con. If Italy and France get it why can't we?
Theophrastus wrote:Could they not just take the previous complete translation and do a quiet digital-only release on various storefronts (Kindle Store, Google Play, iBooks, whatever digital platforms for books are available in Portugal) just so they could say they did it and then move on to Super?

It wouldn't solve the issue of them having to spend extra money to license something that they aren't sure anyone actually wants to buy, but at least that way the production costs would be minimized.
I don't think Devir does digital releases at all so that will probably never happen. And I would actually be happy if they released the DB Manga, I'm only getting into mangas now so I would love to buy them but I would probaby in the minority.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Sun May 07, 2017 11:57 am

Puto wrote:
Wesker wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Doubt it, but if it makes you feel better they started to sell this here

Are you sure? The FNAC and DVDGO pages only mention Spanish and Catalan subtitles...

http://www.dvdgo.com/dvd-one-piece-gold---dvd--/5228493
Very sure, as that picture comes from the back of my own copy of One Piece Film: Gold.

In case you may think that's a mistake, here's what I'm getting from the disc itself.

I don't know if you have a Portuguese DVDGO, but the fact of Spanish DVDGO (and also Spanish Fnac) omitting the presence of Portuguese subtitles in their product descriptions may be because Portuguese purchases are not among their potential sales after all and they are simply disregarding it. I'm aware of the existence of a Portuguese Fnac though, but funnily enough it doesn't list this Selecta Visión edition in their website, instead it lists the Italian edition by Koch Media.

So this is still not oficially available to purchase in Portugal in any way or form? Then I don't understand why Selecta Visión would bother with Portuguese subtitles for One Piece Film: Gold (the rest of One Piece movies releases don't include them as I already mentioned, and it's not the usual procedure in their other products either) if you are actually forced to buy it from Spanish shops after all.