Black's motivation

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Black's motivation

Post by pacz360 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:44 am

What we know so far is that goku black hates human for some reason which I'm wondering why?
Why would black could care about some weak race like humans where they never done anything to affect universe?

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Black's motivation

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:53 am

They haven't interfered much with the universe, but maybe their actions on Earth alone were enough to displease Black. He said he wants to create a paradise by eliminating the humans (and other races, possibly), so it just might be a grudge against malice as a whole in the human race, not because their actions affect the rest of the universe.

The bad side of the human nature was kind of touched in the last arc when we learned U6's Earth was completely destroyed by wars.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:25 am

pacz360 wrote:What we know so far is that goku black hates human for some reason which I'm wondering why?
Why would black could care about some weak race like humans where they never done anything to affect universe?
Don't think it's Humans, as in Earthlings specifically, but rather all the humanoid species that aren't Gods, cause in Dragon Ball "human" does not necessarily mean earthling.
Waiting for confirmation from those in the know.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:25 am

Yeah, Black seems to have something against either humans or just people in general. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has looked like Future Earth is actually pretty fine outside the dark clouds over West City. In Episode 51, in the flashback to Future Trunks vs Black, we see that the city's wrecked, but the countryside is fine. He might have a warped sense of justice and think that since people are responsible for things like pollution, they are God's mistake and should die.
Shoutout to speedsubs in the picture below (as far as I know it's not actually humans specifically):

So my current guess is that he hates people because he loves nature, and that he wants to destroy species that harm nature, or maybe just destroy all sapient life (I think that's what it's called).
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:36 am

Humans destroyed U6's earth so maybe he wants to prevent other earths from that fate so he's taken up the looks of earth's greatest hero to save it from them.

He reminds of of Ra's Al Ghul.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 am

Alruneia wrote:Yeah, Black seems to have something against either humans or just people in general. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has looked like Future Earth is actually pretty fine outside the dark clouds over West City. In Episode 51, in the flashback to Future Trunks vs Black, we see that the city's wrecked, but the countryside is fine. He might have a warped sense of justice and think that since people are responsible for things like pollution, they are God's mistake and should die.
Shoutout to speedsubs in the picture below (as far as I know it's not actually humans specifically):

So my current guess is that he hates people because he loves nature, and that he wants to destroy species that harm nature, or maybe just destroy all sapient life (I think that's what it's called).
I was been keeping this to myself for a couple of days now, but I think the similarities are strong enough to the point that I just can't really ignore it anymore. I was watching a playthrough of the Nintendo game, Kid Icarus Uprising, and one character from the game (Viridi, Goddess of Nature) seems to have VERY similar goals to what Black is trying to accomplish: The extinction of all mankind. Only difference is she's not as "vague" about her goals compared to Black. I just felt like I should bring it up.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:50 am

When Black Goku say human, I'm sure he means mortals. In the Buu Saga, I remember that the Supreme Kai and Kibito kept calling the Saiyans humans, while the dub just replaced the world with mortals or lower beings. Given how Black treats Trunks, his hatred isn't limited to just humans, especially since people thought he hated Saiyans until recently.

He also admitted to wiping out several other planets, so it's not just Earthlings he has a problem with.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 am

When he talks about humans he may be referring to humanoids? Although he didn't show any hate to saiyans or nameks.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:58 am

It all seems like an excuse though, because he says all this with a sadistic expression on his face, not a mournful or angry expression. He probably just wanted an excuse to kill loads of people.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:02 am

Is it far stretched to say Black had no motivation? Some times to me it felt like he was unaware of his life or being alive, like acting like he didn't know anything about that time ring. I think he just likes causing harm to others. Until he met Goku which became his motivation.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:10 am

Alee9977 wrote:When he talks about humans he may be referring to humanoids? Although he didn't show any hate to saiyans or nameks.
You're kidding? For weeks everyone thought Black had a hatred for Saiyans after he kept calling Trunks Saiyan and mocking how the Saiyans were supposed to be warrior race. He did it again this past episode. And never had the chance to proclaim his hatred for the Namekians since the only one he has seen is Piccolo, and he didn't acknowledge his existence.
Regarder wrote:It all seems like an excuse though, because he says all this with a sadistic expression on his face, not a mournful or angry expression. He probably just wanted an excuse to kill loads of people.
One can be a self-righteous psychopath who thinks they're fighting for a good cause. One Piece is filled with them. Heck, look at Death Note.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:23 am

HeroR wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:When he talks about humans he may be referring to humanoids? Although he didn't show any hate to saiyans or nameks.
You're kidding? For weeks everyone thought Black had a hatred for Saiyans after he kept calling Trunks Saiyan and mocking how the Saiyans were supposed to be warrior race. He did it again this past episode. And never had the chance to proclaim his hatred for the Namekians since the only one he has seen is Piccolo, and he didn't acknowledge his existence.
Black wasn't talking about saiyans when he said that, he was talking about Trunks and how dissapointed he was with him for not being like the other saiyans. He never said the saiyans were a mistake on God's perfect creation or something like that. I don't see any hate to saiyans from Black, he can hate Trunks only, but he showed respect to Goku and never insulted him, and he didn't said anything to Vegeta even though he recognized him.
And Black calling Trunks saiyan only means Black isn't one.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Black wasn't talking about saiyans when he said that, he was talking about Trunks and how dissapointed he was with him for not being like the other saiyans. He never said the saiyans were a mistake on God's perfect creation or something like that. I don't see any hate to saiyans from Black, he can hate Trunks only, but he showed respect to Goku and never insulted him, and he didn't said anything to Vegeta even though he recognized him.
And Black calling Trunks saiyan only means Black isn't one.
He said human which a broad term in Dragon Ball. Saiyans were called human in the Buu Saga. And Black only acted nice to Goku specifically. To Trunks he calls him Saiyan and called him pathetic.
Kanassa wrote:

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:19 pm

What if Black was the one who killed all the animal people

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Marco Polo wrote:What if Black was the one who killed all the animal people
:o

What a twist that would be.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:06 pm

In the Lucifer myth, very close to this one, he doesn't hate humans. Hate God.

I think Black (Zamasu?) motivation is not angst toward humans, but to display other gods they can be wrong (and so, I think gods did someone against him, in the past).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:00 am

Black is an all out bad guy. That's what I can sum up so far. Obviously he gave reasons but I think his personality makes him to where he cares less about the lives he ends.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:18 am

A being that is stronger than a Super Saiyan parading around for months slowly slaying the population doesn't make any sense in regards to his intent on ridding the universe of humans/sentient beings/mortals. What ever the reveal for his full intent might be, it will probably be less-than-stellar with a lot more questions lingering.

Also, the whole Mai things makes zero sense so far and I'm positive that the explanation they have for her role/age/existence will only prove to open up more plot holes.

So far the Black Arc is nothing more than an awkward, confusing re-tread of the Android Arc.

On a side note, I think it is so awesome that the franchise harbors so many supporters despite its insanely flawed execution thus far with Dragonball: Super.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:10 am

I'm guessing it's just mortals because of this line.
:clap:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:35 pm

Snail wrote:A being that is stronger than a Super Saiyan parading around for months slowly slaying the population doesn't make any sense in regards to his intent on ridding the universe of humans/sentient beings/mortals. What ever the reveal for his full intent might be, it will probably be less-than-stellar with a lot more questions lingering.

Also, the whole Mai things makes zero sense so far and I'm positive that the explanation they have for her role/age/existence will only prove to open up more plot holes.

So far the Black Arc is nothing more than an awkward, confusing re-tread of the Android Arc.

On a side note, I think it is so awesome that the franchise harbors so many supporters despite its insanely flawed execution thus far with Dragonball: Super.
How is the Future Trunks Saga a retread of the Android Saga outside of time travel and Trunks?
Kanassa wrote: