Jason Douglas Confirms Funimation Dub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Jason Douglas Confirms Funimation Dub?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Bullza wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:I don't see what's so surprising about Funimation dubbing the retellings. Aren't we long past the days of them chopping off part of GT?
I'd be pissed if they didn't dub the retellings.

Nah they'd never skip them like that, nor should they even consider it.
I agree the retellings may suck but the bridging for the movies was done well & consistency. Toei likely wouldn't allow FUNi not to release the retellings anyway as they likely want a year or so buffer of material ahead. By the time GT was licensed by FUNi. Japan had long since finished it wheras Super is still currently airing with no sign of ending anytime soon.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Once the license is owned by FUnimation it does not matter what toei allows or does not allow(which they cant do anyways after license agreement), this is totally funi's call to dub series from the start. What I am trying to say is that its nothing to do with anyone in Japan.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:36 pm

We are in 2016, not 2003 anymore guys. Sabat said that they are going to dub it from the very start. While I dislike the Black Star Dragon Ball Hunt in GT, I still didn't like it when they skip over it on Toonami at the time. The recap episode is pretty confusing and does not make much sense if you really look at it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:08 pm

NitroEX wrote:Doesn't this count as breaking NDA or something? Guess nobody gives a fuck anymore.
He probably went through Funimation's lawyers or something and got permission to post it. I doubt someone from Funimation would make this careless of a mistake, seeing how closed doors this agreement with Toei was.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Neat. I might actual watch it, I haven't watch an episode of Super since the 4th episode.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Well, it's been taken down now, but here's a mirror:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:22 pm

My guess we will get by the end of the year. It would be interesting if Toonami does not get Buu saga Kai and go straight into Super.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:My guess we will get by the end of the year. It would be interesting if Toonami does not get Buu saga Kai and go straight into Super.
Yeah end of 2016 is about the right timeframe judging from past anime licenses.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:31 pm

The instagram page is gone

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Nickolaus wrote:
NitroEX wrote:Doesn't this count as breaking NDA or something? Guess nobody gives a fuck anymore.
He probably went through Funimation's lawyers or something and got permission to post it. I doubt someone from Funimation would make this careless of a mistake, seeing how closed doors this agreement with Toei was.
Ah, were you not around when Sean Schemmel posted a picture of him dubbing BoG, but it was a frame from the extended TV cut? He just picked it randomly, sent it out, and only found out later that day that it was a give away picture and spoiled the surprise that FUNi had the extended cut for the home release.

Professionals are just as susceptible to posting the wrong things on social media as regular people are. They don't get clearance, they just go ahead to share the excitement and don't check in to see if their company's PR already revealed it or not, etc.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:35 pm

That's pretty exciting! If I had to guess we'll probably see something in the NYC Comic Con. While the English Dub ain't my cup of tea it's nice to see that they're (beginning?) producing it.

Now to wait until FOX Latin America gets right for Super as well.

...Any second now.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:My guess we will get by the end of the year. It would be interesting if Toonami does not get Buu saga Kai and go straight into Super.
Yeah end of 2016 is about the right timeframe judging from past anime licenses.
I'm really hoping they air Super and Kai alongside one another, I don't think it's impossible. Everyone who's a fan of "Z" has seen most of it by now, and if it introduces new fans even better, they'll have the old and new content.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Xeztin wrote: I'm really hoping they air Super and Kai alongside one another, I don't think it's impossible. Everyone who's a fan of "Z" has seen most of it by now, and if it introduces new fans even better, they'll have the old and new content.
Not everyone.

There are 14 year olds who are watching Kai on Toonami right now, just as you probably did 10+years ago. And those 14 year olds were toddlers when Z was airing in the US. This is all new to them.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Lol Chris just said dont get the wrong idea. There goes that.
https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 3786044416

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Sodhi wrote:Lol Chris just said dont get the wrong idea. There goes that.
Dude, Douglas tweeted that he was recording at OT5000 yesterday and it's clearly a shot from episode 1 of Super. Douglas took it down because of that.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:55 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Dude, Douglas tweeted that he was recording at OT5000 yesterday and it's clearly a shot from episode 1 of Super. Douglas took it down because of that.
Sabat also said nothing new in his status thingy, I think he's just frustrated over the leak. He also usually responds to comments on his tweets but he's not nor is he denying it was a leak.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:00 pm

He most likely was recording One Piece. He was there with Luci Christian and Mike McFarland.

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Haseowolf wrote:
Nickolaus wrote:
Ah, were you not around when Sean Schemmel posted a picture of him dubbing BoG, but it was a frame from the extended TV cut? He just picked it randomly, sent it out, and only found out later that day that it was a give away picture and spoiled the surprise that FUNi had the extended cut for the home release.

Professionals are just as susceptible to posting the wrong things on social media as regular people are. They don't get clearance, they just go ahead to share the excitement and don't check in to see if their company's PR already revealed it or not, etc.
Ah, you're right. I wasn't much involved with the community at the time that happened, but I did hear about it sometime after the leak. Sort of related, it looks like the Instagram post has been removed.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
He most likely was recording One Piece. He was there with Luci Christian and Mike McFarland.
No, Luci was at FUNi with Mike, Douglas was at OT5000. Plus, Aokiji (the character that Douglas voices in One Piece) doesn't show up a lot in Season 8 (where they are now) after the war.
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Dude, Douglas tweeted that he was recording at OT5000 yesterday and it's clearly a shot from episode 1 of Super. Douglas took it down because of that.
No, Luci was at FUNi with Mike, Douglas was at OT5000.
Oh do you have a link to tweet where he said he wad at Ot?

Edit- nevermind found it! Alls good now :)