Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

I've just watched the first episode again, only this time the pitch shift (yes, there was a pitch shift in the TV airing) was corrected.
It made Goku sound a little less young, which is good. I still think he sounds too young for the role, but hey, it's something.
The bad thing is it made me realise Goten's voice can't be blamed on the pitch shift.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Boing definitely doesn't give a damn fuck about any db series. I mean, when super was about to start, there were ads and all that but they didnt' appear ofently. When the series is going to start, there are no intros or anything like that to remind the viewer that super is about to start. Then you have series like Yokai Watch or the Powerpuff girls reboot with a lot of advertising weeks before they were released, and i remember how they didn't cut the credits in Yokai Watch.

In fact, i remember that when BoG was announced, it barely received any advertising or anything like that. Fuck you Boing, everything went downhill once they started to remove it's "mature" content.

Also, i just watched ep 2, Beerus's voice is allright but god damn it i just can't stant Whis's.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Even though it's only been an hour since episode 2 aired, someone has already corrected and uploaded a short clip. Vegeta and King Kai are back :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Ays3wgO0w
I don't know what's with Whis though. I haven't seen the episode yet, just this clip, but I don't remember him sounding so badly in BoG.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Amazingly, they managed to censor a kids shows, just like France. The really fucked up this time, I mean, DBS airs out at 22:30, when most kids are asleep. This worries me about the Latin American dub.

Here is Boing's response to recent complaints of the fans: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:Amazingly, they managed to censor a kids shows, just like France. The really fucked up this time, I mean, DBS airs out at 22:30, when most kids are asleep. This worries me about the Latin American dub.
Ikr, and what's worse is that a we all know, dbs was already censored in it's first sagas, it got more "mature" in the Black arc.
God damn it, i was excited thinking that it would be cool watching ep 11 or ep 6, ep 14, the Kaioken return and the Goku Black arc in the dub i grew up with, but this just killed my fanboy heart.
I feel bad for Selecta Vision because they were trying, they really were trying, but Boing fucked it up.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 pm

noham-el wrote:I'm glad you have a clean dubbing now... RIP Sangohanda, Hercule, Onda Vital,... and welcome in 2017 :clap:
We never had "Hercule" in the Spanish version. It was always "Satan" (now it has been readjusted to "Mr. Satan"), even when the episodes were translated from the French version script (and that's why Majin Boo was "Booboo", for example), thanks to the fact that the first time Mr. Satan appeared in the Spanish dub was in the Bojack film and that one was translated from the Japanese version script. The Spanish dub of the series was interrupted at that moment when the films were dubbed because of TV censorship issues, and when the series was brought up and unfortunately they went back to the French version script (the final episodes of the Freezer saga and all the Androids/Cell saga up to the Cell Game had been translated from the Japanese version script), but the director was the same person who dubbed Satan in the Bojack film and when he reprised the role in the series, he remembered the name it had in that film and changed it back despite the French version dub saying "Hercule" all the time. So that's why "Satan" was kept and it never was "Hercule" except from a couple of very minor misleads.

The clean dubbing has not just being reduced to removing "Son Gohanda" and "Onda Vital" by the way. There's much more than that which was already evidenced in the BOG and FNF movies.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:43 am

dbs fanboy wrote:Boing definitely doesn't give a damn fuck about any db series. I mean, when super was about to start, there were ads and all that but they didnt' appear ofently. When the series is going to start, there are no intros or anything like that to remind the viewer that super is about to start. Then you have series like Yokai Watch or the Powerpuff girls reboot with a lot of advertising weeks before they were released, and i remember how they didn't cut the credits in Yokai Watch.

In fact, i remember that when BoG was announced, it barely received any advertising or anything like that. Fuck you Boing, everything went downhill once they started to remove it's "mature" content.

Also, i just watched ep 2, Beerus's voice is allright but god damn it i just can't stant Whis's.
My gosh Whis' voice was annoying! The little I heard from Goku sounds all right.
YonedgeHP wrote:Amazingly, they managed to censor a kids shows, just like France. The really fucked up this time, I mean, DBS airs out at 22:30, when most kids are asleep. This worries me about the Latin American dub.

Here is Boing's response to recent complaints of the fans: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Well, I feel lucky now, since uncut DB super in France will air at that in the evening, starting tomorrow...

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:49 am

sangofe wrote:

Well, I feel lucky now, since uncut DB super in France will air at that in the evening, starting tomorrow...
So Spain is the only one that's truly fucked. Not only do they get bullshit responses but they don't have an uncut version airing.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:39 am

sangofe wrote:My gosh Whis' voice was annoying! The little I heard from Goku sounds all right.
I really don't understand why. Both Whis and Goten sounded fine in Battle of Gods, and they haven't been recast, and now they are annoying as hell. Whis sounds too flamboyant, and Goten doesn't even enunciate properly.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:So Spain is the only one that's truly fucked. Not only do they get bullshit responses but they don't have an uncut version airing.
Even if they never air an uncut version...it's probably going to be uncut for the dvds and blu-rays. Nobody predicted that the Funi dub of Kai would air uncut a few years after it finished its run on Nicktoons, but the series was always uncut on home releases.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:So Spain is the only one that's truly fucked. Not only do they get bullshit responses but they don't have an uncut version airing.
Even if they never air an uncut version...it's probably going to be uncut for the dvds and blu-rays. Nobody predicted that the Funi dub of Kai would air uncut a few years after it finished its run on Nicktoons, but the series was always uncut on home releases.
Oh yeah, I forgot dvds and blu-rays even existed sorry my bad.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 pm

The new Goku's first Kamehameha just aired, and even though I still think his speaking voice sounds too young, the scream is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMd-Je6dXd8

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:23 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:The new Goku's first Kamehameha just aired, and even though I still think his speaking voice sounds too young, the scream is pretty cool.
I really like this voice. He sounds energetic like Goku should!

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:The new Goku's first Kamehameha just aired, and even though I still think his speaking voice sounds too young, the scream is pretty cool.
He sounds a bit like Mario Castañeda :P
sangofe wrote:
My gosh Whis' voice was annoying! The little I heard from Goku sounds all right.
dbs fanboy wrote: Also, i just watched ep 2, Beerus's voice is allright but god damn it i just can't stant Whis's.
This is interesting, I've watched episode 3 and I didn't mind Whis. In contrast I do find his latin american voice to be annoying, I feel this spanish voice is more natural...

I like Beerus voice, he's so expressive :D
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Beerus-sama wrote:I like Beerus voice, he's so expressive :D
Beerus's VA has just become a big name actor in Spain after receiving our equivalent of an Oscar.
Then he said some things about voice acting I didn't like much, but hey, he's an awesome actor, and it shows.

By the way, the censorship continues. I haven't been able to watch any episode after 1 yet (and I don't think I'll watch them on TV anymore, since the pitched up audio is quite annoying), but people have been talking about it ever since it premiered. It seems it's a lot worse than the French version: they're censoring anything remotely violent, including swear words (they've censored the word "idiot", and I'm not kidding).

Unfortunately, the censorship isn't as well done as Funimation's. And I'm saying that without the slightest hint of irony, because unlike the American censorship, which would alter the image digitally or record an alternate line, Boing just cuts the clip.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:12 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Beerus's VA has just become a big name actor in Spain after receiving our equivalent of an Oscar.
Then he said some things about voice acting I didn't like much, but hey, he's an awesome actor, and it shows.

By the way, the censorship continues. I haven't been able to watch any episode after 1 yet (and I don't think I'll watch them on TV anymore, since the pitched up audio is quite annoying), but people have been talking about it ever since it premiered. It seems it's a lot worse than the French version: they're censoring anything remotely violent, including swear words (they've censored the word "idiot", and I'm not kidding).

Unfortunately, the censorship isn't as well done as Funimation's. And I'm saying that without the slightest hint of irony, because unlike the American censorship, which would alter the image digitally or record an alternate line, Boing just cuts the clip.
No, I can't believe this. I'm not just feeling sorry for you guys I'm actually getting mad. How can the censorship be worse thant the frnech version. Jesus Christ, praise the DVD and Blu-Ray releases.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:No, I can't believe this. I'm not just feeling sorry for you guys I'm actually getting mad. How can the censorship be worse thant the frnech version. Jesus Christ, praise the DVD and Blu-Ray releases.
I don't know exactly how much was cut in addition to the cuts in the French version, but I'm certain there are more cuts, since some of them depend on the dialogue, which doesn't always have the same wording in both versions. It also shows how shoddy they're being: they censored the word "idiots", but since they don't alter the video or audio streams, just cut footage, the initial "i" can be heard :lol:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:53 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:No, I can't believe this. I'm not just feeling sorry for you guys I'm actually getting mad. How can the censorship be worse thant the frnech version. Jesus Christ, praise the DVD and Blu-Ray releases.
I don't know exactly how much was cut in addition to the cuts in the French version, but I'm certain there are more cuts, since some of them depend on the dialogue, which doesn't always have the same wording in both versions. It also shows how shoddy they're being: they censored the word "idiots", but since they don't alter the video or audio streams, just cut footage, the initial "i" can be heard :lol:
Isn't there any way to give direct feedback to the channel or studio or was my dub just really really lucky? I'm hoping the first option is the right one.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:57 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:

Trust me. It can't be worse than the french version. Not worse than what it's been in the F saga anyway.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:Isn't there any way to give direct feedback to the channel or studio or was my dub just really really lucky? I'm hoping the first option is the right one.
Feedback can be and is given to the channel, but they don't give a damn about it. Even though the series is airing 20 minutes into the adult timeslot, Boing being a kids channel means that all of the timeslots it airs in must be "protected". As for the studio, they don't have anything to do with it.
sangofe wrote:Trust me. It can't be worse than the french version. Not worse than what it's been in the F saga anyway.
Oh trust me, it is. It has all of the cuts in the French version plus some extra ones made by the channel. A user in a Spanish forum about dubbing has made a list of them, and oh boy:

* King Kai insulting Goku because he broke his house.
* King Kai saying the other Kais mocked him.
* Bulma hitting Krillin.
* The words idiota (idiot), tonto (stupid) and zoquete (roughly "dimwit", but so mild I wouldn't consider it an insult).

I included the original words because it wouldn't be the first time a language barrier makes a somewhat mild expression seem more offensive than it actually is. Boing airs shows with similar, or even higher levels of swearing, if we can really call it that.

All of these have been cut. At this point, this is basically 4Kids, except with less budget.
Last edited by UltimateHammerBro on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.