Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

I dont like his work but could we stop treating Edson Matus like a blight upon humanity?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:27 am

Alee9977 wrote:This is the new Edson Matus it seems, it's a shame.
Something I didn't like from the trailer is that they are making Super look like a sitcom more than a fighting anime.
This is mostly due to the channel airing it. Their main target is younger children, and rumour says they didn't even want to air the series (they have been reducing their anime content over time) but contacts forced them to do so.

Again, it's only two sentences so far, but the whole affair was so toxic that I can't avoid being suspicious. At least, the rest of the original cast will be back, and DBS's page within the channel's website uses the name "Beerus".
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Something I didn't like from the trailer is that they are making Super look like a sitcom more than a fighting anime.
I t made super seem like a doraemon-like series. I hope that this doesn't affect the very little of seriousness in the early arcs
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Weird. Reminds me of a similar situation with that really shitty Powerpuff Girls reboot and how they got all the original voices except for those of the main three girls, which all three original voice actresses were upset that that they weren't asked.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
I t made super seem like a doraemon-like series. I hope that this doesn't affect the very little of seriousness in the early arcs
I don't think there'll be any problems with the series itself, since another company has the rights for home video distribution. It's just the way they market it.
Doraemon is the only anime I can think of that still airs in Boing. They used to air DBZ and premiere new episodes of One Piece, but they gradually retired them from their schedule.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Dont forget Yokai Watch! Or did they get rid of that too!?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:14 pm

That's true, I had forgotten about it. Last time I checked, they still aired it, but they kept repeating the same 26-ish episodes.

Unlike their Italian counterpart, they've focused on children, and it's quite obvious that they had little to no interest in anime aimed at older age groups. I used to joke that they were ashamed of airing DBZ back in the day: apart from the bumpers ("Next: DBZ", "DBZ will be back", that sort of thing) there wasn't a single commercial about the show, while they did their own commercials for all the other shows (much in the style of the DBS one).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:09 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:That's true, I had forgotten about it. Last time I checked, they still aired it, but they kept repeating the same 26-ish episodes.

Unlike their Italian counterpart, they've focused on children, and it's quite obvious that they had little to no interest in anime aimed at older age groups. I used to joke that they were ashamed of airing DBZ back in the day: apart from the bumpers ("Next: DBZ", "DBZ will be back", that sort of thing) there wasn't a single commercial about the show, while they did their own commercials for all the other shows (much in the style of the DBS one).
Wow I'm really sorry for spanish people, it really sucks how they are treating this serie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:56 am

emperior wrote:Wow I'm really sorry for spanish people, it really sucks how they are treating this serie.
Thanks, but I don't think it's that bad once we consider everything.

The original series has aired in many different channels and is widely available on home video: it's just some channels that try to screw with it. Even if I don't like the way one particular sentence heard in the trailer is worded, I don't think there'll be much meddling in the Super dub, since the same company which brought BoG and FnF has the rights to the new series. At most, there'll be some censorship on the TV airing, but I'm sure it'll be completely uncut on the home video release.

Plus, we're being extremely lucky when it comes to the manga, to the extent that they're planning to release a special edition of the Super manga designed to be a continuation of the first Spanish edition of the DB manga, published over 20 years ago :lol:

As far as anime releases in Spain go, all things considered, I'd say DB is slightly above average.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:02 am

It's sad something like this is happening to my neighbour country. Hopefully you don't get the censorship the French version has been getting.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:10 am

Gafonso6 wrote:It's sad something like this is happening to my neighbour country. Hopefully you don't get the censorship the French version has been getting.
I think I read the French are getting an uncut airing later in the evening :D
Some people have theorised that the Spanish airing will also be in the evening, so I think it will be either uncut or very lightly censored.
I don't really mind some editing if I know for a fact that the DVD release is uncut. It'd be a step up from the original DBZ, in which censored scenes were lost or never dubbed to begin with, and they had to do some crappy work for the DVD :lol:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:15 am

Well, this is the day. Dragon Ball Super premieres in Spain tonight at 10:30 pm.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:52 pm

They did it, they fucking did it, dbs was censored.
I mean, why? It airs at 22:30, at the time most of it's targeted audience is probable either asleep or about to go to bed.

God damn it, then what's going to happen once we reach episodes like 11 or the Black arc, or the tournament full of fight scenes?

Well the good news is that at least most of the RoF arc will be censored, so i won't have to suffer with #24, but...... whatever.

The voices were on point, i actually liked the new Goku (even thought Gavira was much better. However, Goten sounded weird and Whis as well.

dbgtFO wrote:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:56 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:They did it, they fucking did it, dbs was censored.
I mean, why? It airs at 22:30, at the time most of it's targeted audience is probable either asleep or about to go to bed.

God damn it, then what's going to happen once we reach episodes like 11 or the Black arc, or the tournament full of fight scenes?

Well the good news is that at least most of the RoF arc will be censored, so i won't have to suffer with #24, but...... whatever.

The voices were on point, i actually liked the new Goku (even thought Gavira was much better. However, Goten sounded weird and Whis as well.
How was it censored. Because as of now the French version is the most censored wth basically any violence being cut out, with the hebrew version being next with some cuts on the sexual scenes, and the portuguese version just because they cut off two scenes with sexual stuff and toned down just a little bit the sexual innuendos making them not so obvious but still very obvious.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:19 pm

So Super is censored in Spain.

They did it. They finally did it. It was a long way but they killed Dragon Ball in this country. I don't even know how I dared to believe they would do a decent job. BoG and RoF were awesome but they were films. Obviously they would not make a fucking good series. They didn't even do Kai. Fuck this shit, really.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:24 pm

MisteryOne wrote:So Super is censored in Spain.

They did it. They finally did it. It was a long way but they killed Dragon Ball in this country. I don't even know how I dared to believe they would do a decent job. BoG and RoF were awesome but they were films. Obviously they would not make a fucking good series. They didn't even do Kai. Fuck this shit, really.
The worse thing is that i was kinda expecting it. They didn't even wanted to aired in the first place.

dbgtFO wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Aww man that sucks for you guys :thumbdown: 10.30pm that just makes this odd-er. How often is this going to air in the week?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:53 pm

I'd recommend everyone to calm down. We Spaniards (and I'm the first to be guilty of it) tend to be really hot blooded when it's time to complain :lol:

I'm not really surprised by the censorship. The channel airing it is targeted to young children, and as it has already been said, didn't even want to air the series. However, the studio said that the dub itself is uncut, so there won't be any problem once it gets released on home video.

Everyone in the original cast is back, and all they sound right to my ears, even if the audio itself was pitched up.
However, my main complaints are Goten and Goku.
Even if Goten was voiced by his original actress, it was way off: he spoke too fast and seemed to have some diction slips. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

And regarding Goku... I want to make this clear: this is just MY opinion. The whole "new Goku vs old Goku" affair has become incredibly toxic: you can barely write anything about it online without being called a hater by either side. This said... I didn't like it. At all.
The new VA is a good actor, and everyone involved seems to agree that he's doing his best, but he sounds way too young for the role. I think he would have been a really cool voice for Gohan, or even for a younger Goku (in the Piccolo Jr. saga era), but not for Super Goku.

But hey, apart from Goku, Gohan, the censored scenes and the lack of a dubbed opening, the rest of the cast sounds good.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Aww man that sucks for you guys :thumbdown: 10.30pm that just makes this odd-er. How often is this going to air in the week?
It's going to be Monday to Thursday. Some of us thought that 10.30pm timeslot would allow the series to be uncut, but Boing is Boing.

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm really sorry for you, guys.
At 22:30, it's really scandalous. It's 2017, godammit!!

So... you can expect all that in the coming days: https://twitter.com/supalinocelosu/stat ... 5585506304
(on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBd40yi ... wT8MEOLZhN)

In France, we have the same version, the same opening, with the same type of censors and editing, with the same way of broadcasting (PAL Speedup and shit). Your version was also recorded in uncut version, and badly cut by the channel...
Clearly, this is not a problem with the French FCC/PEGI, or the Spain/Local FCC now. It really has to do with the mores, moral issues of Turner Europe.
[spoiler]F*ck them![/spoiler]

We're on the same boat now, again. Turner Europe is the new AB Productions :lolno:
---------------------
Aside censorship, that first episode was good. Your New Goku is really, really good, why he's in a controversy?! :lol:
I'm glad you have a clean dubbing now... RIP Sangohanda, Hercule, Onda Vital,... and welcome in 2017 :clap:
Last edited by noham-el on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sorry for my bad english."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:How was it censored. Because as of now the French version is the most censored wth basically any violence being cut out, with the hebrew version being next with some cuts on the sexual scenes, and the portuguese version just because they cut off two scenes with sexual stuff and toned down just a little bit the sexual innuendos making them not so obvious but still very obvious.
Don't forget the Bang Zoom dub, which removed sexual innuendo and some violence (the scene involving Beerus and King Vegeta for example)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.