Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:52 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:Isn't there any way to give direct feedback to the channel or studio or was my dub just really really lucky? I'm hoping the first option is the right one.
Feedback can be and is given to the channel, but they don't give a damn about it. Even though the series is airing 20 minutes into the adult timeslot, Boing being a kids channel means that all of the timeslots it airs in must be "protected". As for the studio, they don't have anything to do with it.
sangofe wrote:Trust me. It can't be worse than the french version. Not worse than what it's been in the F saga anyway.
Oh trust me, it is. It has all of the cuts in the French version plus some extra ones made by the channel. A user in a Spanish forum about dubbing has made a list of them, and oh boy:

*King Kai insulting Goku because he broke his house.
*King Kai saying the other Kais mocked him.
*Bulma hitting Krillin.
*The words idiota (idiot), tonto (stupid) and zoquete (roughly "dimwit", but so mild I wouldn't consider it an insult).

All of these have been cut. At this point, this is basically 4Kids, except with less budget.
Have you been watching every episode of the french dub?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 pm

sangofe wrote:Have you been watching every episode of the french dub?
Only some clips to take a look at what was cut.
All the information I'm giving here is second hand because I haven't checked it out myself, but when the series premiered, people started comparing it to the French version and found more cuts. I myself am more interested in the voice acting, but I decided to share it here because I saw you guys were interested.

Did the French version also cut out bits of video to censor the swear words?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 pm

I just checked part of the first episode on Youtube, and I must say I like the voices, specially the new Goku, once you slow down the audio to 23fps. They sound really wrong at 25fps as they are broadcasting it. Honestly I first thought the narrator was a new voice actor, even though he has been the same ever since DB's episode 26 or so, and I have watched the whole series millions of times. But Goten does sound super weird nonetheless, it's as if he's retarded or something, hard to describe.

Really annoyed about the stupid censorship, I fear the massacre they'll do on the Freeza and Black arcs. I guess we'll have to wait for the dvd/blurays to truly appreciate and enjoy watching Super in Spanish.
UltimateHammerBro wrote: Oh trust me, it is. It has all of the cuts in the French version plus some extra ones made by the channel. A user in a Spanish forum about dubbing has made a list of them, and oh boy:
I'm interested, could you tell me what forum is that? :)

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Bad news keep coming for Dragon Ball Super in Spain.

Alberto Hidalgo, the voice actor who has always performed the role of Vegeta in Castilian Spanish (except for the very first episodes of Dragon Ball Z when it was performed by the voice actor who later did and still does adult Gohan's voice, Alejandro Albaiceta, who had to stop working a while and then Alberto took the role up until today), has announced today through his Facebook profile his retirement from the dub industry to move onto public administration duties exclusively. He has dubbed Vegeta (and also old Kaioshin, also traditionally voiced by him except in Dragon Ball GT) in the first 52 episodes of Dragon Ball Super but it's assumed that the character/s will have to be recast from now on.

This is the language version which is probably suffering the most misfortunes since the dub started. Such a shame.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Wesker wrote:Bad news keep coming for Dragon Ball Super in Spain.

Alberto Hidalgo, the voice actor who has always performed the role of Vegeta in Castilian Spanish (except for the very first episodes of Dragon Ball Z when it was performed by the voice actor who later did and still does adult Gohan's voice, Alejandro Albaiceta, who had to stop working a while and then Alberto took the role up until today), has announced today through his Facebook profile his retirement from the dub industry to move onto public administration duties exclusively. He has dubbed Vegeta (and also old Kaioshin, also traditionally voiced by him except in Dragon Ball GT) in the first 52 episodes of Dragon Ball Super but it's assumed that the character/s will have to be recast from now on.

This is the language version which is probably suffering the most misfortunes since the dub started. Such a shame.
That sucks, did he say why he is leaving?
It's bad but nothing compares to what happened with Dragon Ball Kai here in LatAm, I hope nobody has to go though something similar to that, literally it was a revolution.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Alee9977 wrote:That sucks, did he say why he is leaving?
He didn't point out specifics, but he said in this message that he's "forced to leave this beautiful but mistreated profession" in which he experimented "both happiness and disgrace, sharing good moments with great partners, and suffering in intimacy the consequences of unfair shames". It seems to me like he's not going well as a dub actor, a profession he "loves deeply since 25 years ago", and needs to move into something else that will give him a higher revenue. Sadly, this is a common misfortune for many people who take part of the dub industry in Spain as their main job, especially if you don't live and do your job in either Madrid or Barcelona.
Alee9977 wrote:It's bad but nothing compares to what happened with Dragon Ball Kai here in LatAm, I hope nobody has to go though something similar to that, literally it was a revolution.
Well, at least that was just Dragon Ball Z Kai, and only up to the end of the Cell saga in fact. You have the full cast back for the new movies, for Dragon Ball Z Kai The Final Chapters and now for Dragon Ball Super so that's no longer an issue. Plus, Latin America doesn't really need Dragon Ball Z Kai, the Latin American Spanish version of Dragon Ball Z was already pretty good in terms of both translation and voice cast. I bet most people there go and watch Dragon Ball Z instead of Dragon Ball Z Kai which is actually more useful to other countries where the Dragon Ball Z localization was treated worse in some of these aspects.

In the case of the Castilian Spanish version, first you have the voice actor who did adult Goku the most in Dragon Ball Z (episodes 59-167) and absolutely all the Dragon Ball Z movies who hasn't been able to reprise the role in Dragon Ball Super despite his willingness and it seems he won't ever come back because of all the turmoil he originated the last summer with that fan movement to put him back in the role, being replaced by a totally new voice actor (there were others who did adult Goku, one who did it in Dragon Ball ep. 133-153 and Dragon Ball Z ep. 01-57, other who did it in Dragon Ball Z ep. 168-291 and other who did it in Dragon Ball GT, none of them couldn't reprise the role either for a number of different reasons). And now you have the voice actor of Vegeta who has done the character absolutely always except in Dragon Ball Z ep. 05-24 and who has actually taken part already in the first 52 episodes of Dragon Ball Super, and now they are forced to recast him too and also with a new actor probably because I don't think they are going to put back in the role the one who did it in Dragon Ball Z ep. 05-24 for the same reason they didn't put him to voice Goku again like he did in Dragon Ball GT, since he's the voice actor of Gohan and they don't want him to do different characters sounding the same (in Dragon Ball GT he did both Goku and Gohan but it was different, that was directed by someone else). They are no doubt the two main characters of Dragon Ball and their most recognizable Castilian Spanish voices won't come back because for some reason or another they aren't in the dub industry anymore, so this is affecting not just Dragon Ball Super, but everything new regarding Dragon Ball that comes from now on. It would also affect Dragon Ball Z Kai if that's ever dubbed some day. It's a big hit for a version that alleges bringing in all the old voice actors of the characters (and they did that perfect in both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F in fact) if it turns out you now have to use totally new voices for the two main characters of the series.

So, pretty much this is now a worse scenario that what happened with Latin American Spanish Dragon Ball Z Kai, since that one is not really needed by the Latin America fanbase and it's best ignored compared if you simply favor Dragon Ball Z over it. A Castilian Spanish version of Dragon Ball Z Kai, on the other hand would be far more useful because of the translation problems that Castilian Spanish Dragon Ball Z had, but now you won't have neither of those actors reprising the roles of Goku and Vegeta and it's also very difficult to bring in the voice actress of young Goku/young Gohan (she lives in Canada) whose presence hasn't really been necessary in the new movies and Dragon Ball Super but she would be essential in Dragon Ball Z Kai. So it may not be the same "revolution" if Dragon Ball Z Kai is ever dubbed in Castilian Spanish but it would affect two major roles in the whole series and also other one who's pretty much the same until the character grows up in the Boo saga where his voice actor could actually reprise him like he's doing now. So not really the best situation either and worse thing is: you can't simply revert it back by mere recasting to bring the old voice actors like it happened in Latin America.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:37 pm

You'd better not see what's Boing doing with the censorship of the "Fukkatsu no F" saga. Episodes 22 and 23 have been a cut fest travesty, and for episode 23 they even cut out the previous episode recap completely.

It's a shame because the dub quality so far is turning out pretty good, regarding both translation/terminology and voice acting. Even latinos are no longer so tiring with the dub as they were before, a stupid behaviour I have never understood because this Spanish dub has always been aimed for Spain, not for them.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm not following the dub, but I'm reading comments and anecdotes about it, and it's baffling, to say the least. They're saying that since the dub is uncut, and there's no video editing nor alternate lines involved, just cutting bits of the video, the censorship is incredibly jarring, even cutting some slight bits of sentences.
I've seen it called "the most censored anime in the history of Spain". After how many animes were aired with a previously made Italian censorship, that's saying something.

Some people are saying that the channel is censoring the series just because. After all, American animated series airing on the channel have worse stuff, which isn't cut. The edits only seem to apply to Japanese stuff. However, I think that they're just making the fact that they don't want to air the show extremely clear. They're contractually forced to air it, and after openly admitting that they did the censorship themselves, now they're placing the blame on the distributor, the same distributor which airs Super uncensored in France, Italy and Portugal. I can't help but laugh :lol:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Jesus, thank God Spain has DVD and Blu-Ray releases because if not you guys would be screwed! How the hell can they censor this show that much?!
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:12 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:Jesus, thank God Spain has DVD and Blu-Ray releases because if not you guys would be screwed! How the hell can they censor this show that much?!
Well, the hopes are not too high. The company in charge of the home video releases has said that they have no intention to pay for the dubbing of the series. If Boing decides to stop buying more episodes, which is something they seem to be trying to do, it looks like the release will stop entirely.

Wesker

Post by Wesker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:51 pm

Nah, Boing is having pretty good daily ratings with the Dragon Ball Super episodes up to now. They are among the best ones of the channel in fact, even taking into account the massive censorship they have performed and also the fact that these still are the early sagas of Dragon Ball Super we are talking about, which are not that great to be honest. I'm sure Boing won't cancel the show despite their reluctance to air it. And if that's the case, then Turner will force them through their contract to still buy and dub more episodes beyond the current 52 dubbed ones.

Selecta Visión can't say much about a possible home video release as of now. I'm sure there's a signed exclusivity time frame that both Turner and Boing are bound to enjoy airing the dubbed episodes in TV during a certain period of time before Selecta Visión can have the dubbed version open for a home video release. I say Selecta won't be able to release anything this year but maybe next year they can start with the batch of episodes that are now being aired, in uncut form of course, as they always do.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:51 am

Wesker wrote:It's a shame because the dub quality so far is turning out pretty good, regarding both translation/terminology and voice acting. Even latinos are no longer so tiring with the dub as they were before, a stupid behaviour I have never understood because this Spanish dub has always been aimed for Spain, not for them.
To be fair this goes both ways. I've seen Latinos making fun of Spanish dubs and Spaniards making fun of Latin dubs(on the YouTube comments section anyway). But when it comes to Dragon Ball, usually Latinos are the ones that are always mocking the Spanish dub. As a Latino, I have to admit that it does bother me when I read stupid comments from Latinos that say stuff like "¡Songohanda y su Onda Vital a todo gas!" etc. I mean what's the point of mocking a dub that is clearly not targeted for you?

It really sucks how they're treating Super in Spain. Hopefully the Selecta Visión Blu-rays will be uncut and uncensored.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 am

Looks like you guys have the same relationship the Portuguese and the Brazilians have when it comes to DB.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:46 am

Gafonso6 wrote:Looks like you guys have the same relationship the Portuguese and the Brazilians have when it comes to DB.
Pretty much. That's why I can look at YouTube wars between Funimation and Ocean fans and say "you guys are so cute" :lol:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 am

Gafonso6 wrote:Looks like you guys have the same relationship the Portuguese and the Brazilians have when it comes to DB.
I never actually thought about it like that. I guess it is a similar relationship. Both languages(Spanish and Portuguese) have a good dub from Latin America and a... well...not so good dub from Europe.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:01 am

Bajosexto wrote:
I never actually thought about it like that. I guess it is a similar relationship. Both languages(Spanish and Portuguese) have a good dub from Latin America and a... well...not so good dub from Europe.
Oh yeah definitely, the dubs from LatAm are obviously better for both languages and it's actually very similar with Super since for example I've seen a lot of Brazilians following the Portuguese Super dub because now it's actually good.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:28 pm

These are indeed some bad news.

He may not be the best Vegeta out there, but at least he made him sound like a true man! He had a unique style which I really liked.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Wow more censoring now here? Jeez, Super is already watered down as hell compared to Z! Honestly I would rather the U.K continue to not have Super then to air Super and have it be censored.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Do you guys think that boing may end up pulling a one piece and canceling super before the Black arc? (as it's the most "violent" one so far)
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:17 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:Do you guys think that boing may end up pulling a one piece and canceling super before the Black arc? (as it's the most "violent" one so far)
If they don't start airing the second season soon they may end up cancelling it before the RoF arc ends.