Dragon Ball Super air on Italy [UPDATE]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super air on Italy [UPDATE]

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 am

ciccioDM wrote:
ankokudaishogun wrote: Mai has become "Mei" out of nowhere. I guess they received scripts with the official spelling(Mey, IIRC) and didn't realized she's Future Mai.
I wonder if they'll change Little Mai's name as a result.
Mai has always been "Mey" in the italian Merak dub, from the beginning of Dragon Ball. Little Mai was already called like that at the beginning of Super.
It makes sense cause the true spelling would clash with the word "mai" which means never in Italian. Considering this is Dragon Ball where characters usually shout "I will never forgive you" that becomes "non ti perdonerò mai!" in Italian, changing Mai's pronunciation has always been the right thing to do.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 am

Excuse me, someone can tell me how they did translate that "pretty peas" thing for evocating the Super Dragon?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Gig wrote:Excuse me, someone can tell me how they did translate that "pretty peas" thing for evocating the Super Dragon?
It said "Da bravo, bravo drago" which is similar to how we treat pets in Italy. I don't really know how I would translate it in English, probably like telling your dog "good boy!".
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 pm

emperior wrote:
Gig wrote:Excuse me, someone can tell me how they did translate that "pretty peas" thing for evocating the Super Dragon?
It said "Da bravo, bravo drago" which is similar to how we treat pets in Italy. I don't really know how I would translate it in English, probably like telling your dog "good boy!".
Seems a funny solution... I think I may try to find the dragon evocation scene somewhere...

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Also worth to note they didn't translate the Language of Gods: it's still Reverse Japanese.
I wonder how it would have sounded as Reverse Italian, though

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 pm

The new episodes of Dragon Ball super will start on Italia 1 this January 2. They will be from 53 until 76. Here the announce from Italia 1:
Also they announced the Voice Actor of Gowasu that will be Oliviero Corbetta (Dr. Gelo and Babidy in Dragon Ball Z).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Awesome! Dragon Ball Super is a huge success in Europe! I wish it was treated better in Spain though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Awesome! Dragon Ball Super is a huge success in Europe! I wish it was treated better in Spain though.
Yeah, the censorship are really bad..

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 am

At least home media is uncut.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 am

Italia 1 has publishied a little scene of Zamasu and Gowasu in Italian. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0739898307
I think both are great. Zamasu will be voiced by Maurizio Merluzzo, a famous voice actor and also a youtuber.
The new episodes will start tomorrow.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 am

I must say the voice actors for Gowasu and Zamasu really nailed the voices. I am incredibly happy with their performances, really good choices by Mediaset! The new Goku, Claudio Moneta, also keeps growing on me. He will never be as good as Torrisi, but he's improving.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Zamasu's and Gowasu's voices are quite good IMHO. Maybe Gowasu did sound a little too detached but it still gave a good sense of "old master".

Super Saiyan Rosé became Super Saiyan Rosa, its translation.

Tomorrow we should get one of Zamasu's psycho-monologues IIRC. I hope the voice actor will deliver. It's weird to rewatch this arc knowing us going to be a greek tragedy

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm

CN Italia will premiere Super on January 29th at 8:45pm. It will be aired Monday to Friday like the Latin Spanish and Brazilian dubs.
https://www.regularcapital.com/2017/12/ ... ighlights/

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

A couple of quirks of the Italian dub:

Beerus' Hakai has been translated as "Disgregazione", which means crumbling\disintegration.

Goku knows with a kiss on mouth is from the movies, but still hasn't kissed Chichi.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm

The Goku has never kissed before scene was adapted quite well in my opinion. It nails Goku's simpleton character, and it's actually straightforward while the sub made it seem like there was a misunderstanding between Goku and Vegeta. Goku isn't disgusted in the Italian dub though, unlike in the original.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:43 pm

it's worth to note a cultural difference between Japan and Italy\West:
in Shigeru Mizuki's Yokai Encyclopedia(1981) the author, referring to a face-licking yokai, writes something like "It seems like kissing with the tongue is a thing in some western countries, but when I was young[Mizuki was born in 1922)] people would have thought of it only as icky"(paraphrased, I'll post the correct quote once I find again my Italian copy of the book)

So, it actually makes more sense in the context of Goku as an absolute country bumpkin.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am

Today it was aired the episode 68 here (the first filler after black goku saga). Unlike the other countries (france, spain, brazil and latin america) here will continues the trasmission, but from now the episodes will be only on saturday with 2 new episodes. This saturday there will be the episodes of Arale and that of Baseball.

Thordell

Post by Thordell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

I can't wait to watch the Italian dub of the Arale episode. I'm hyped for the baseball one too, especially since Yamcha's voice actor, Diego Sabre, is one of my favourites, but I can't control my heart, and my love for the Penguin Village folks is too strong. I hope they keep Pietro Ubaldi as the voice of Senbee, but considering that the guy voices almost every background character in Super, I don't really think that that is a risk.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Almost surely Pietro Ubaldi and Patrizia Scianca will come back back for Senbei and Arale. There is also Dr Mashirito that in Arale is voiced by Claudio Moneta (Goku) :lol: . The baseball episode is my favorite filler, and finally Sabre will have a little more part in the cast.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

So, I completed watching the whole Black Goku saga in Italian.

Generally, it has been dubbed well: the voice for the characters were spot-on, as well the acting.
The only issue I have is how Future Trunk's VA has been directed, forcing him to sound "deeper=older" than usual: it did result in sounding "fake", especially when angry. But it's at the end a very limited problem.
Surprisingly good has been Bulma's VA, especially in the emotive scenes involving Trunks.
Zamasu's VA has done a perfect work. Cannot think a better voice or acting.
Moneta's Black sounds less a psycho and more a serial killer compared to Japanese Black, but given the massive difference in voices between the Japanese VA and Moneta, I'd say it's perfect anyway.

Note: Vegetto(sadly still Vegeku in the dub) had double-voices instead of just Goku's voice like in the DBZ dub.

The dialogues had a number of small\stupid problems and changes, like most anime dubbed by Mediaset, but nothing game-breaking luckily.