Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:19 am

Yomi wrote:That's a pretty good sub. Mortals is pretty fitting.
The problem is that...well, even gods in DBZ are mortal.

The only real immortals are Future Zamasu and Garlic Jr.

It's more a problem of DBZ having weird definitions of mortality,
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:48 am

FUNI's dub names were annoying. "Supreme Kai sama" had me facepalming. But still the subs were alright for the most part.

- Travis

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:52 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:FUNI's dub names were annoying. "Supreme Kai sama" had me facepalming. But still the subs were alright for the most part.

- Travis
Don't get upset.

It's better than nothing, right?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:58 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if they will get the other episodes for Super? I hope CR does not use Funimation's spelling for Freeza.
Daisuki got the entire Trunks Saga (of what's out in Japan) up.

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:FUNI's dub names were annoying. "Supreme Kai sama" had me facepalming. But still the subs were alright for the most part.

- Travis
Don't get upset.

It's better than nothing, right?
It's better because it's better than the worst fansubs, but it's worse because it seems to me it's less good than the best fansubs. It's better because streaming sites put out whatever subs were out first, and many times it would be the really bad fansubs.

As for what I thought about the subs, here's a quote from what I wrote earlier (this is an early impression, I don't know if I'll go more into depth because I'm very busy, but I'm sure others I know will):
Well, I just wanted some of episode 57, and while I appreciate Goku's hick accent in the subs, the subtitles didn't flow very well and there seemed to be some weird wording choices... It's definitely a step down from the best fansubs, but one up from the worst, I feel, without having compared scripts in detail.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:16 am

Cipher wrote:They're going all-in on FUNimation dub terms and names. That ... is moderately off-putting, but I'm sure (or hope) FUNimation will do their own subtitle tracks for an eventual home release.
We haven't ruled out the possibility that these subs are by Toei. They quite frankly seem a lot better than what Toei themselves tend to put out, dub-names aside. I would not be surprised if this is what ends up on a future FUNi release... though hopefully without the dub names.
DB_Fan1991 wrote:To be fair FUNi's spelling of Freeza has shown up in some Japanese products before. As has calling the Artificial Humans, Androids.
"Androids" is actually the proper English equivalent of 人造人間... and "Artificial Human" is just a clunkier way of saying the same thing that doesn't even fix the underlying issue that half of them aren't actually androids. In any case, the blame for that lies entirely on Toriyama's choice of words.

Anyway, color me impressed. Other than the dub-names and opening-subs, these subtitles are actually quite good!

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:20 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Cipher wrote:They're going all-in on FUNimation dub terms and names. That ... is moderately off-putting, but I'm sure (or hope) FUNimation will do their own subtitle tracks for an eventual home release.
We haven't ruled out the possibility that these subs are by Toei. They quite frankly seem a lot better than what Toei themselves tend to put out, dub-names aside. I would not be surprised if this is what ends up on a future FUNi release... though hopefully without the dub names.
DB_Fan1991 wrote:To be fair FUNi's spelling of Freeza has shown up in some Japanese products before. As has calling the Artificial Humans, Androids.
"Androids" is actually the proper English equivalent of 人造人間... and "Artificial Human" is just a clunkier way of saying the same thing that doesn't even fix the underlying issue that half of them aren't actually androids. In any case, the blame for that lies entirely on Toriyama's choice of words.

Anyway, color me impressed. Other than the dub-names and opening-subs, these subtitles are actually quite good!
What's the problem with dub names? You're getting worked up over something minor.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:41 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:What's the problem with dub names? You're getting worked up over something minor.
Tell me, if the subtitles called Goku "Steve", would you honestly think that wasn't worth complaining about? Can you honestly say that you wouldn't get at least a little annoyed every single time the guy's name is mentioned and the subtitles have an entirely different name?

Because that is exactly what it's like seeing "Master Roshi" in these subs. At least if it were "Muten Roshi" then I could kinda accept it (though it still gives off the wrong impression that this is his name when it's actually just a title), but "Master Roshi" is completely wrong.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:51 am

I was at work so I didn't encounter any streaming problems via Crunchyroll premium.

The subtitles strike me as serviceable, the inconsistencies with names I find slightly annoying, but by no means a deal breaker. What I was impressed with was the quality of the stream, I'm on a 100mb connection and while there was some colour banding the bitrate was quite solid and held up really well on a 55" 4k Bravia.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:39 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:What's the problem with dub names? You're getting worked up over something minor.
Tell me, if the subtitles called Goku "Steve", would you honestly think that wasn't worth complaining about? Can you honestly say that you wouldn't get at least a little annoyed every single time the guy's name is mentioned and the subtitles have an entirely different name?

Because that is exactly what it's like seeing "Master Roshi" in these subs. At least if it were "Muten Roshi" then I could kinda accept it (though it still gives off the wrong impression that this is his name when it's actually just a title), but "Master Roshi" is completely wrong.
The dub name have been the official names for the character for over a decade, even out raking the Viz manga. This isn't the same as Goku suddenly being called Steve. Master Roshi isn't wrong. This is what Funi calls him and that is the official name in North America. You may not agree with it, but that is what it is.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:44 am

HeroR wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:

The dub name have been the official names for the character for over a decade, even out raking the Viz manga. This isn't the same as Goku suddenly being called Steve. Master Roshi isn't wrong. This is what Funi calls him and that is the official name in North America. You may not agree with it, but that is what it is.
Thank you! :D

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:49 am

I never liked torrenting things (especially after uTorrent started bundling its upgrades with malware programs a good while back), and I especially don't like going to shady "streaming" sites, so this is a godsend for me. Until now, I just saw what episodes I could find on YouTube in atrocious quality, and usually sped up or slowed down and mirrored. Now I can consistently keep up with the newest episodes, and that is awesome.

For some reason, for the longest time, Crunchyroll wouldn't work on my computer, and I thought it was due to using an older version of Flash, because I couldn't updated it because of a corrupted Flash install that I could never fix, but it's working now, and I'm Excitebike. I also couldn't update Firefox for the longest time, and it kept giving me errors, but it recently somehow updated on its own, and I guess that's gotten Crunchyroll working. Whatever. :crazy:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:53 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I never liked torrenting things (especially after uTorrent started bundling its upgrades with malware programs a good while back), and I especially don't like going to shady "streaming" sites, so this is a godsend for me. Until now, I just saw what episodes I could find on YouTube in atrocious quality, and usually sped up or slowed down and mirrored. Now I can consistently keep up with the newest episodes, and that is awesome.

For some reason, for the longest time, Crunchyroll wouldn't work on my computer, and I thought it was due to using an older version of Flash, because I couldn't updated it because of a corrupted Flash install that I could never fix, but it's working now, and I'm Excitebike.
You're an 80s NES game?

Also, Crunchyroll works like a charm on my Wii U.

I really hope the rest of the Franchise is added to Crunchyroll.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:57 am

HeroR wrote:The dub name have been the official names for the character for over a decade, even out raking the Viz manga. This isn't the same as Goku suddenly being called Steve. Master Roshi isn't wrong. This is what Funi calls him and that is the official name in North America. You may not agree with it, but that is what it is.
I don't care one iota what FUNimation calls him, it's still not a good translation. When watching the show in Japanese, what the English dub does should be irrelevant. And seeing the subtitles refer to a character by an incorrect name just because some dub somewhere called them that takes me out of the show every single time, whether it be the Turtle Sage being called Master Roshi, Beerus being called Bills as is the case in pretty much every non-English official translation, or to use a different show, Tailmon being called Gatomon. That might be what they're called in the dub, but I'm not watching the dub right now.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:07 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:You're an 80s NES game?
Yersh I'm am.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:47 am

The problem with the dub terms is that they are dub terms. It's completely inconsistent with the DB/Z/GT subs and is distracting. I'm not here to watch the dub. When I'm watching the Japanese version of DB, I don't want dubisms replacing the actual names of characters and attacks. The rest of the subtitles are fine, though. I'm still going to watch it on crunchyroll because it's the right way to do it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:45 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
HeroR wrote:The dub name have been the official names for the character for over a decade, even out raking the Viz manga. This isn't the same as Goku suddenly being called Steve. Master Roshi isn't wrong. This is what Funi calls him and that is the official name in North America. You may not agree with it, but that is what it is.
I don't care one iota what FUNimation calls him, it's still not a good translation. When watching the show in Japanese, what the English dub does should be irrelevant. And seeing the subtitles refer to a character by an incorrect name just because some dub somewhere called them that takes me out of the show every single time, whether it be the Turtle Sage being called Master Roshi, Beerus being called Bills as is the case in pretty much every non-English official translation, or to use a different show, Tailmon being called Gatomon. That might be what they're called in the dub, but I'm not watching the dub right now.
It doesn't matter. Those are the official dub names and most of the people who watched Dragon Ball watched the dub. Only a select group of fans watch the sub and know the names and the Japanese names. You don't like, well tough. Go watch a fan sub.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 am

There's at least a petty good chance that the subs will be touched up a bit for the official home release - if nothing else, they'll probably (I would hope anyway) correct names and terms to how they've been used in other subtitled DB products by FUNi - but for a free stream, not to mention the first legal one we've got? I'd say dealing with dub terms should be fairly manageable even for the most diehard subbed DB fan.

Though the 'Supreme Kai sama' bit I've seen people talk about is definitely a little...awkward looking. Especially cuz I thought there were supposed to be '-' between the names and the honorifics? Supeme Kai-sama, Whis-san, Son-kun. Like that, rather than Supreme Kai sama, Whis san, Son kun.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:56 am

And... Dragon Ball Super is already the 3rd most popular show on Crunchyroll, behind Naruto Shippiden at #1 and One Piece at #2

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:00 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:There's at least a petty good chance that the subs will be touched up a bit for the official home release
They'll probably be retranslated from scratch by Simmons.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:11 am

simtek34 wrote:And... Dragon Ball Super is already the 3rd most popular show on Crunchyroll, behind Naruto Shippiden at #1 and One Piece at #2
Are we surprised? I reckon that Super's premiere on CR last night was also partly responsible for the site's lag.
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!