"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:With Toonami being once a week, it is has been 8 months since they started pre prod and we are just now getting the conclusion of the first arc, a simuldub theoretically is a possibility, but I do think logistical problems with the fact Sean and Kyle are out of towners and have prominent roles in this arc is the reason why we won't have one.
Realistically, all they really need to do is set up time one week or so a month where Sean & Kyle can fly to Texas & knock out a bunch of episodes. Everyone else can be recorded when they're scheduled & able, since the rest of them still live in Texas & regularly do other dubs for FUNi. Since recordings are usually done for 2 hours a day in any given week, if they increase the amount of hours per day to, say, 4, & what scenes exactly that they work on, it could be beneficial if they would want to fast track the dub enough to get close to the current arc. Sabat's a smart director, as he splits up action scenes with a lot of yelling from the regular scenes with regular dialogue so the actors don't blow out their vocal chords prematurely. This could be how they could go about it.
A simuldub would be tough though, seeing as they'd need every main character's actor in Texas to pull it off & Sean & Kyle aren't residents. It would cost FUNi more than they might wanna spend to produce than they already are. If they were to move there, that'd be a different story, but Sean works with a few different companies for dubs in California & 4K Media for Yugioh while Kyle works with Viz for some of their dubs. It'd be better to record more with them when they're in Texas before the others do so they have everything ready to go rather than a simuldub.
They could potentially use stock grunts and screams from previous episodes to save time and vocal cords. I am pretty sure they do that with Nozawa, at least it sounds like they do.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They could potentially use stock grunts and screams from previous episodes to save time and vocal cords. I am pretty sure they do that with Nozawa, at least it sounds like they do.
Given that screams & grunts come out pretty much the same each time, that wouldn't surprise me. It's like Ryota Ozawa in Gokaiger. While I'm sure he recorded a lot of the grunts in ADR as needed, a lot of them sound either reused or like he was instructed to do exactly the same thing during a lot of the sessions. His "oriya!" grunt in particular. Although FUNi hasn't gotten in the habit of doing that, I believe. Only for flashbacks, like the prologue in Battle of Gods reusing a lot of the original dialogue from the DB & Z dubs, though Z's portion could've easily been from Kai, but they did flub Goku's "now" yell to Gohan during the Cell fight by accidentally putting a weird take of him just saying "Gohan" before Gohan finished Cell off. Aparently, from what I've read on TV Tropes, they reused Laura Bailey's dialogue as Trunks for the Kai flashback in Episode 2 rather than have Alexis Tipton rerecord it, that's how deep that goes. They don't wanna invoke the "flashback with the other darrin" trope for the most part. Though it might be smart to reuse some recordings here & there if needed, though Sean has the vocal power to continually do Goku's screams until he goes mute. I don't doubt they'll continue to do that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Ok so Funimation's YT channel just released two videos announcing Hero Academia and Attack on Titan simuldubs. I'm just waiting for Super video to pop up hopefully.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Ok so Funimation's YT channel just released two videos announcing Hero Academia and Attack on Titan simuldubs. I'm just waiting for Super video to pop up hopefully.
It's not happening. Literally almost a 0% chance. There's no way they're caught up given what we've known of the recording schedule so far. Maybe it'll happen someday, but not yet.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Ok so Funimation's YT channel just released two videos announcing Hero Academia and Attack on Titan simuldubs. I'm just waiting for Super video to pop up hopefully.
It's not happening. Literally almost a 0% chance. There's no way they're caught up given what we've known of the recording schedule so far. Maybe it'll happen someday, but not yet.
I still think it's coming, if wasn't Funimation would have taken DBS off the simuldubs page on their website.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not happening. Literally almost a 0% chance. There's no way they're caught up given what we've known of the recording schedule so far. Maybe it'll happen someday, but not yet.
Who says that they have to be caught up to do a simuldub? They could easily skip ahead to Universe Survival and fill in Future Trunks later as it's broadcast on Toonami. That's not to say that we'll necessarily get a simuldub, but it's not like it's impossible either.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:56 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I still think it's coming, if wasn't Funimation would have taken DBS off the simuldubs page on their website.
I have no clue what is going on there. Though I do believe that they are further on than what they would have us believe.
One Piece is also on the Simuldub page, which is baffling.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 am

Although I do believe simuldub could happen in the future, it's not gonna happen soon..

Either way, Japanese version has grown on me, not going back to dub super now
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:18 am

I'm just struggling to know what else forneverworld was hyping if not SD, doubt he'd act like that for BDs.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:One Piece is also on the Simuldub page, which is baffling.
Considering One Piece's dub is only a little over 250 episodes away from being caught up with Japan, they should get done dubbing those in a little over 2 years, depending on the licensing & recording schedules to release the DVDs. One Piece has also been on the table for discussion of a simuldub for a few years as well, so if they premiered the simuldub through their streaming service & release the DVDs as they would normally after a certain amount of episodes have been dubbed & they can release them on DVD after the Japanese releases. I just hope there isn't too long of wait. Space Dandy took FOREVER to release over here after it was initially dubbed & aired, which doesn't quite make sense as to why so long since the episodes aired overseas the day before the Japanese airings. Plus, as long as they read the manga, or at least skim it, they should know which characters appear & which out-of-towner voice actors to schedule to record, if they need them, since One Piece's main cast all live in Texas & it's only secondary & tertiary characters that are voiced by non-Texans, like Matthew Mercer & the like.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:43 am

FUNi have a panel today if it really is a SD then we will find out today.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am

Scsigs wrote:Plus, as long as they read the manga, or at least skim it, they should know which characters appear & which out-of-towner voice actors to schedule to record, if they need them, since One Piece's main cast all live in Texas & it's only secondary & tertiary characters that are voiced by non-Texans, like Matthew Mercer & the like.
Isn't Patrick Seitz Californian talent? Franky is a member of the main cast. Although yeah, reading the manga should keep them apprised of who they need and when, so it shouldn't be impossibly hard to pull off.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:38 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Plus, as long as they read the manga, or at least skim it, they should know which characters appear & which out-of-towner voice actors to schedule to record, if they need them, since One Piece's main cast all live in Texas & it's only secondary & tertiary characters that are voiced by non-Texans, like Matthew Mercer & the like.
Isn't Patrick Seitz Californian talent? Franky is a member of the main cast. Although yeah, reading the manga should keep them apprised of who they need and when, so it shouldn't be impossibly hard to pull off.
Yup, Seitz is based out there
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:09 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Right, forgot about him, but it would be easier than Super is all I'm saying, unless they get plot outlines that tell them which characters will be appearing from Toei or something. It's harder when it's a series made wholecloth than one based on a manga. Plus, isn't Seitz on the writing staff for the Super dub?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:37 am

After watching My Hero Academia in English, I think Chris Sabat's All Might voice would work for Toppo very well in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Funimation said on twitter that a part 1 of a new dub will be released on July 4th so maybe it's Super.

I think we'll know in a couple of days.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/8 ... 4820384768
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:57 pm

sintzu wrote:Funimation said on twitter that a part 1 of a new dub will be released on July 4th so maybe it's Super.

Nah, it's Hyouka.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:37 pm

kinisking wrote:
sintzu wrote:Funimation said on twitter that a part 1 of a new dub will be released on July 4th so maybe it's Super.

Nah, it's Hyouka.
It says that AND a new part 1 dub.

EDIT :

Looking at it again, I think you're right. I still think we'll get Super in July or August at the latest.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:42 pm

sintzu wrote:It says that AND a new part 1 dub.
EDIT :
Looking at it again, I think you're right. I still think we'll get Super in July or August at the latest.
Yeah, the wording of it is more in line with them saying the new dub's for that series. They just licensed it too, so it works more in that favor than Super.
It, honestly, wouldn't faze me if, once they start releasing Super it'll be around August or September for the first Part set for it, then probably every 2-3 months for each subsequent part, so they can air on Toonami beforehand & still be decently ahead. Unlike Kai TFC, this shit actually matters because of their deal with Toei probably restricting them from getting Super out on home media. Kai, it doesn't matter since the show's been done for almost 2 years & there's only 69 episodes in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Almost certain that FUNi left in Yamadera's scream in the recap at the start of Episode 14.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]