"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:20 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Which episode does the 3rd ending appear? I can't wait to listen to it dubbed.
I think it's the penultimate episode of the "F" arc, #26 as the ending change every cour (13 episodes).

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Which episode does the 3rd ending appear? I can't wait to listen to it dubbed.
I think it's the penultimate episode of the "F" arc, #26 as the ending change every cour (13 episodes).
Thanks!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Besides, I can't fathom how people can tolerate more than two or three seasons of that damn anime. It's basically the same crap all over again.
To be honest the same thing could be said about Dragon Ball in some ways.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:02 am

I rarely watch Super on Toonami (because I don't care for the retellings), but I did last night, and to me, the voices sounded oddly mixed. They all sounded quite tinny and hollow, like there wasn't much bass. It wasn't too bad, but seemed a bit "off" to me.

Also, what happened to R. Bruce Elliot's Ginyu? He sounded waaaay raspier here than he did in Kai. It was almost like he was trying to imitate Dale Kelly's take for some bizarre reason.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:21 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Also, what happened to R. Bruce Elliot's Ginyu? He sounded waaaay raspier here than he did in Kai. It was almost like he was trying to imitate Dale Kelly's take for some bizarre reason.
I watched a clip of Dale Kelly's Ginyu against this episode and tend to agree. He did sound quite similar. I always thought he was more like Dale Kelly than Brice Armstrong. I loved Armstrong's version in the redub even it was just his Lord Slug voice.

This is just my opinion of course but I've felt like the Super dub in general has been a mix of Z and Z Kai. Initially it was because of them using the 'Clown' term but Vegeta also uses that in Kai now. Other than that, bringing back McCoy as 18 is jarring for Kai viewers but not those who watched Z. Vegeta also sounds like a mix between his Kai and his raspier Z dub (Buu saga) version. I like that it feels like a mixture of both but again, it could be all in my head.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 am

Wow, Elliot's Ginyu sounded a LOT like his Whitebeard in this episode.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Wow, Elliot's Ginyu sounded a LOT like his Whitebeard in this episode.
He sounded more like Nappa.

Btw I liked whoever is currently voicing Kid Trunks, she sounds better than Laura Bailey, Gotenks now sounds likeable too.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

perucho1990 wrote: He sounded more like Nappa.

Btw I liked whoever is currently voicing Kid Trunks, she sounds better than Laura Bailey, Gotenks now sounds likeable too.
Eh, I don't hear it. But his Whitebeard voice sounds nearly 1:1 with it.

As for Trunks, yeah, Alexis Tipton is his new voice actress. She's pretty good IMO.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Besides, I can't fathom how people can tolerate more than two or three seasons of that damn anime. It's basically the same crap all over again.
At least the characters in Dragon Ball are more likable than the ones in Pokemon.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
At least the characters in Dragon Ball are more likable than the ones in Pokemon.
That's subjective. I agree with you though.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 am

Some pretty serious news about Chris Ayres: https://facebook.com/christopher.ayres. ... 2499650370
This is awful and I hope that can brave through it and get well soon. Apparently a back up Frieza has been found just in case but considering that the F arc has been dubbed since March and the Universe Survival arc won't be dubbed for a while, they may not be used unless there's a simuldub
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 am

My condolences, that is awful. I like Ayers' Freeza. I hope everything works out for him, health-wise.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 am

That's shocking...
I hope he gets better soon
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Some pretty serious news about Chris Ayres: https://facebook.com/christopher.ayres. ... 2499650370
This is awful and I hope that can brave through it and get well soon. Apparently a back up Frieza has been found just in case but considering that the F arc has been dubbed since March and the Universe Survival arc won't be dubbed for a while, they may not be used unless there's a simuldub
Wow I hope he's able to pull through this and get better.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Some pretty serious news about Chris Ayres: https://facebook.com/christopher.ayres. ... 2499650370
Oh God! Nonono... This is very saddening. Even though they have a backup Freeza, noting can top Chris. All I hope is that the backup is not Linda Young.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 am

simtek34 wrote:
Oh God! Nonono... This is very saddening. Even though they have a backup Freeza, noting can top Chris. All I hope is that the backup is not Linda Young.
Worst case scenario, and Chris is no longer able to perform, Funi will probably use Greg Ayers. He's already voicing Frost for Super, and if he lowers his voice a little bit it could sound extremely similar Chris Ayers Frieza.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 am

simtek34 wrote:
I'm kinda hoping it's Little Kuriboh, or at least someone who can do a similar voice-match to Chris' Frieza voice. It's not particularly hard to imitate his Frieza voice tone, or accent, if you listen to it enough, but I hope he can continue with doing the voice for several more years.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Would Little Kuriboh be able to do it? Is he still in the UK?
I know Schemmel moved away from Texas, but I don't know if he records remotely or if they fly him back to voice Gokû and Kaio.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:30 pm

This is awful news. I hope and pray Chris gets well soon.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Chuquita wrote:Would Little Kuriboh be able to do it? Is he still in the UK?
I know Schemmel moved away from Texas, but I don't know if he records remotely or if they fly him back to voice Gokû and Kaio.
I heard that he moved from the UK a while ago on Twitter.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34