"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Puto wrote:So apparently some people already have the first BD set, and this is what I know so far:
- Subtitles for the episodes were completely re-translated by Simmons (as opposed to using the subtitles from Crunchyroll), but for some reason the opening song's subtitles are still the lyrics for the Engrish version.
- Opening is in Japanese for both the dub and Japanese version.
- Ending song was dubbed.
Do we get the next episode previews dubbed?
Yeah Ajay confirmed on twitter and posted one of them and it was great as I was hoping. I love NEPs.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Can anybody transcribe the English lyrics to Hello, Hello, Hello? I can't make them out at all.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=zaKj-kWnDD8
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Oh crap, I just remembered! Champa and Vados appear in Episode 25. I'm really curious to see how the shit-talking between Beerus and Champa is in the English dub since this is the first time we'll see it happen.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:07 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Can anybody transcribe the English lyrics to Hello, Hello, Hello? I can't make them out at all.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=zaKj-kWnDD8
This is what I could make out. Feel free to correct/add to it if you were able to make out any other lyrics:

I see all these kids as I walk to school
Their colorful backpacks are looking cool
I can't help but wonder which color I'd choose
If I still were a kid
Where would I run off to?

Oh, Hello Hello Hello
??? (I think the word "adult" is at the end?)
Hello Hello Hello
Do I look like I'm proud of who I've finally become?

And I know I've made mistakes
But I'm trying to get it right
And I'm willing just to wait (?)
For the moment I can shine
It's simple, (???) this is the story of all time (???)
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:40 pm

I believe it's:

Their colorful backpacks so unique and cool

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:06 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:I believe it's:

Their colorful backpacks so unique and cool
Listening to it again, yeah, you're right. Thanks!

My YouTube

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:26 am

Something interesting I just noticed. When Goku goes SSJBlue in Resurrection 'F, Sean Schemmel uses his SSJ3 voice but when he goes SSJBlue in episode 24, he's using his regular Goku voice.

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 am

I lowered instrumental a bit to hear the lyrics better but I still can't transcribe the lyrics properly in some parts. If anyone has better skill in transcribing here's the isolated vocals:

https://mega.nz/#!A9U3BC4I!u2fb-oTuGV-d ... raJ3drJaP8

Overall, I like the english version of the Ending 1 even though it's badly mixed. Ending 2 is also not bad.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:21 am

The best I could get out of it

I see all these kids, as I walk to school, their colorful backpacks are unique and cool
I can't help but wonder which color I'd choose, if I still were a kid, where would I fall off too? Ohhh
Hello, hello, hello
I am not a kid now but I have beliefs of an adult, Ohhh
Hello, hello, hello
Do I look I'm powerful, I've finally become
Oh I know I made mistakes, but I'm trying to get it right and I'm willing just to wait for the moment I can shine
This is a, is a story of all time
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 am

yugidmx5 wrote:I lowered instrumental a bit to hear the lyrics better but I still can't transcribe the lyrics properly in some parts. If anyone has better skill in transcribing here's the isolated vocals:

https://mega.nz/#!A9U3BC4I!u2fb-oTuGV-d ... raJ3drJaP8

Overall, I like the english version of the Ending 1 even though it's badly mixed. Ending 2 is also not bad.
Thanks for that! That helps a lot. Listening to just that on repeat, I THINK the lyric after the first "Hello Hello Hello" is "How am I looking now that I've turned into an adult?" I could be wrong, but that's my best guess for the moment.

My YouTube

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:30 am

I think I've got it down now

I see all these kids, as I walk to school, their colorful backpacks are unique and cool
I can't help but wonder which color I'd choose, if I still were a kid, where would I fall off too? Ohhh
Hello, hello, hello
How am I looking now that I have beliefs of an adult, Ohhh
Hello, hello, hello
Do I look like I'm powerful, I've finally become
Oh I know I made mistakes, but I'm trying to get it right and I'm willing just to wait for the moment I can shine
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I think I've got it down now

Hello, hello, hello
Hello, hello, hello
Nice take on the lyrics and props to you for deciphering first verse of a chorus, I personally couldn't make a word out of that one. I hear some of the words differently than in your take though I may be wrong:

their colorful backpacks so unique and cool
if I still were a kid, where would I roll off too?
This anthem, is a story of all time

Also, I noticed that the ending of the instrumental in the english version doesn't have the drum finish like the original version and only abruptly cuts just to the guitar though that may be just me.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm

yugidmx5 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I think I've got it down now

Hello, hello, hello
Hello, hello, hello
Nice take on the lyrics and props to you for deciphering first verse of a chorus, I personally couldn't make a word out of that one. I hear some of the words differently than in your take though I may be wrong:

their colorful backpacks so unique and cool
if I still were a kid, where would I roll off too?
This anthem, is a story of all time

Also, I noticed that the ending of the instrumental in the english version doesn't have the drum finish like the original version and only abruptly cuts just to the guitar though that may be just me.
I took another listen to it and you're right on what you heard except for the "roll off too" part. So all in all, it'd go like this

I see all these kids, as I walk to school, their colorful backpacks so unique and cool
Hello, hello, hello
Hello, hello, hello
Oh I know I've made mistakes, but I'm trying to get it right and I'm willing just to wait for the moment I can shine
This anthem, is the story of all time

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 pm

I have a gut feeling once #26 finished airing we'll get some sort of announcement from FUNi regarding the dub and FUNiNow. The original press release for Toonami stated that the first 26 episode Season 1 would air, we now know with Buu Kai that FUNi can power through with the releases well ahead of Toonami, it also explains why they are (seemingly) already at the stage of dubbing the Trunks arc. Maybe FUNi will release dub episodes in batches? Or maybe we now won't be reliant in Toonami and it's schedules anymore..

But something interesting here the Horikawa press release for AX mentions this:
...There’s a lot in store in 2017 for fans of this epic franchise including more power, new characters, more
broadcast episodes on Adult Swim
and a new home video release (part one) on July 25th!
http://toei-animation-usa.com/press-rel ... -Final.pdf

Hmm.... Unless it just means a Season 2 announcement? Or will it air more than just Toonami?

Or am I reading too much into all this and it doesn't mean a thing (likely)? :P

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Holy crap this dub is freaking amazing!!!!! The episode still looked bad but not as bad as I was expecting. The end with Freeza talking about SSGSS killed me :lol: brilliant.
At least in the funimation dub some of our theorys are correct. SSJB is indeed SSG going SSJ.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I have a gut feeling once #26 finished airing we'll get some sort of announcement from FUNi regarding the dub and FUNiNow. The original press release for Toonami stated that the first 26 episode Season 1 would air, we now know with Buu Kai that FUNi can power through with the releases well ahead of Toonami, it also explains why they are (seemingly) already at the stage of dubbing the Trunks arc. Maybe FUNi will release dub episodes in batches? Or maybe we now won't be reliant in Toonami and it's schedules anymore..

But something interesting here the Horikawa press release for AX mentions this:
...There’s a lot in store in 2017 for fans of this epic franchise including more power, new characters, more broadcast episodes on Adult Swim and a new home video release (part one) on July 25th!
http://toei-animation-usa.com/press-rel ... -Final.pdf

Hmm.... Unless it just means a Season 2 announcement? Or will it air more than just Toonami?

Or am I reading too much into all this and it doesn't mean a thing (likely)? :P
My biggest thing with all of what you're saying is that I think you're missing a few things.
1. There's no saying they don't have more episodes licensed at this time & are dubbing them as fast as they can with their cast members. They license hundred episode batches of One Piece to dub every year, so it'd make sense if they did the same with DBS. Plus, they said they signed a multi-year deal to dub the series, so that must mean they have more than the initial 26 to dub, especially since 27 is where the 2nd arc ends.
3. They only got through Kai TFC as fast as they did because they dubbed all of the episodes. They could've easily released all 3 sets at once if they wanted, but they decided to do a 3-month thing to get it out of the way. Plus, Toei has the stipulation in place that they have to air the show first, or at least start airing it, before they can release it & with Super, I imagine they also wanna air the episodes before releasing them on home media, as well as the TV deal. I have a feeling they'll keep the show on TV for a while.
4. As far as future dubbed episodes go, they might release episodes early on their streaming service, but we'll need to wait & see. I have a feeling Forneverworld was probably excited about whatever cast announcements he was informed of, like Jason Marsters...Or he could've been bullshitting about knowing anything really major. Whether he said anything new since, I don't know. I stopped watching Fornever-ending-clickbait after his spat with Double4Clickbait months ago because he got boring to me. In any case, we'll have to wait till an official statement is made.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:45 am

Scsigs wrote: My biggest thing with all of what you're saying is that I think you're missing a few things.
1. There's no saying they don't have more episodes licensed at this time & are dubbing them as fast as they can with their cast members. They license hundred episode batches of One Piece to dub every year, so it'd make sense if they did the same with DBS. Plus, they said they signed a multi-year deal to dub the series, so that must mean they have more than the initial 26 to dub, especially since 27 is where the 2nd arc ends.
3. They only got through Kai TFC as fast as they did because they dubbed all of the episodes. They could've easily released all 3 sets at once if they wanted, but they decided to do a 3-month thing to get it out of the way. Plus, Toei has the stipulation in place that they have to air the show first, or at least start airing it, before they can release it & with Super, I imagine they also wanna air the episodes before releasing them on home media, as well as the TV deal. I have a feeling they'll keep the show on TV for a while.
4. As far as future dubbed episodes go, they might release episodes early on their streaming service, but we'll need to wait & see. I have a feeling Forneverworld was probably excited about whatever cast announcements he was informed of, like Jason Marsters...Or he could've been bullshitting about knowing anything really major. Whether he said anything new since, I don't know. I stopped watching Fornever-ending-clickbait after his spat with Double4Clickbait months ago because he got boring to me. In any case, we'll have to wait till an official statement is made.
Did you miss a 2 out? Anyway:

1. I am aware FUNi have a multi-year deal but I am referring to the Toonami announcement, Toei said that the first 26 episodes were gonna air on Toonami, my point was is this only an exclusivity for Toonami and once the 26 episode season is up on Toonami FUNi are free to do what they like, perhaps that is why FUNi started releasing Buu Kai in April and not sooner as a certain amount of episodes had to air before FUNi were allowed to release.

4. I dunno if he has said anything since then as I don't follow him but I do remember seeing a tweet on my TL where he said he wanted Zamasu to be Mercer, so I don't think it is the Marsters thing. I do not think he was BSing as he had a legit FUNi link but I don't know what to think now.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:29 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: My biggest thing with all of what you're saying is that I think you're missing a few things.

1. I am aware FUNi have a multi-year deal but I am referring to the Toonami announcement, Toei said that the first 26 episodes were gonna air on Toonami, my point was is this only an exclusivity for Toonami and once the 26 episode season is up on Toonami FUNi are free to do what they like, perhaps that is why FUNi started releasing Buu Kai in April and not sooner as a certain amount of episodes had to air before FUNi were allowed to release.

4. I dunno if he has said anything since then as I don't follow him but I do remember seeing a tweet on my TL where he said he wanted Zamasu to be Mercer, so I don't think it is the Marsters thing. I do not think he was BSing as he had a legit FUNi link but I don't know what to think now.
Ugh, yeah, I did. I'm usually good with double checking myself when typing.
I'm just trying to say that I think they're going to continue airing the series on Toonami as long as the Toonami staff sees fit to air it, but, like you're saying, they'll be free to do other things with it to get the episodes out as fast as they can. Gotta remember Toei's timings as well, as well as Toei's worries about reverse importation (though that didn't stop them from releasing the 7th One Piece movie on blu-Ray overseas BEFORE Japan & letting them release Resurrection F only a few weeks after the Japanese release). It'd just make sense for those that do have cable, but don't, or cant, get the Blu-Rays, or afford an account for their streaming service. Plus, it'd be kinda weird to air Kai TFC without Super airing right before.
Hmm, then maybe he was hyped about any release plans they have if he heard anything. They're probably not letting him know too much outside of that.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Ugh, yeah, I did. I'm usually good with double checking myself when typing.
I'm just trying to say that I think they're going to continue airing the series on Toonami as long as the Toonami staff sees fit to air it, but, like you're saying, they'll be free to do other things with it to get the episodes out as fast as they can. Gotta remember Toei's timings as well, as well as Toei's worries about reverse importation (though that didn't stop them from releasing the 7th One Piece movie on blu-Ray overseas BEFORE Japan & letting them release Resurrection F only a few weeks after the Japanese release). It'd just make sense for those that do have cable, but don't, or cant, get the Blu-Rays, or afford an account for their streaming service. Plus, it'd be kinda weird to air Kai TFC without Super airing right before.
Hmm, then maybe he was hyped about any release plans they have if he heard anything. They're probably not letting him know too much outside of that.
That would be the 8th movie, they never released the 7th movie in North America

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I'm just trying to say that I think they're going to continue airing the series on Toonami as long as the Toonami staff sees fit to air it, but, like you're saying, they'll be free to do other things with it to get the episodes out as fast as they can. Gotta remember Toei's timings as well, as well as Toei's worries about reverse importation (though that didn't stop them from releasing the 7th One Piece movie on blu-Ray overseas BEFORE Japan & letting them release Resurrection F only a few weeks after the Japanese release). It'd just make sense for those that do have cable, but don't, or cant, get the Blu-Rays, or afford an account for their streaming service. Plus, it'd be kinda weird to air Kai TFC without Super airing right before.
That would be the 8th movie, they never released the 7th movie in North America
Yes. Sorry, I just woke up.