"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I meant sacrifice one of those and have Super air for an hour at 11 then push everything after back that way.

Huh people are being weary? But it is Dragon Ball... how dare they feel that way. :P Perhaps when Kai ends that is what they could do then?
Yeah, they could do that, especially if Super proves to be a rating smashed hit, but the Toonami's fans are indeed weary of Dragon Ball consuming everything. They also resent Dragon Ball for Kai getting a lot ratings and then everyone leaving when the next show airs. It happening now since you noticed that Buu Kai for the most part retains and some times surpasses Super's ratings, yet there is a nice drop-off after Buu Kai airs. Look at poor JoJo. The best shows that retained Kai's viewers was One Punch Man (I think it beat Kai one time), Kill La Kill, and that show the assassins that I am blanking out on.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am

It'd be cool if Funimation got Drummond to play Copy Vegeta.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Good thing Funi will remove the ATATATATATATA yells, right? It would make the fights more enjoyable.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:It'd be cool if Funimation got Drummond to play Copy Vegeta.
Yeah, that would be pretty cool.
Caulifla best girl! :)

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I meant sacrifice one of those and have Super air for an hour at 11 then push everything after back that way.

Huh people are being weary? But it is Dragon Ball... how dare they feel that way. :P Perhaps when Kai ends that is what they could do then?
Yeah, they could do that, especially if Super proves to be a rating smashed hit, but the Toonami's fans are indeed weary of Dragon Ball consuming everything. They also resent Dragon Ball for Kai getting a lot ratings and then everyone leaving when the next show airs. It happening now since you noticed that Buu Kai for the most part retains and some times surpasses Super's ratings, yet there is a nice drop-off after Buu Kai airs. Look at poor JoJo. The best shows that retained Kai's viewers was One Punch Man (I think it beat Kai one time), Kill La Kill, and that show the assassins that I am blanking out on.
I think when Kai ends, either My Hero Academia or One Punch Man Season 2 take its place.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I love how everyone says "But Super cant air for an hour" when right now its airing for Hour and a half. LOL
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I love how everyone says "But Super cant air for an hour" when right now its airing for Hour and a half. LOL
We're taking about two new epsoides a week. Not reruns.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I know. Then its even worse because 1 hour is essentially wasted on reruns. Why would an hour of Premieres be "Taking over Toonami" in a way that 1 hour of reruns isnt?

And Toonami is bleeding viewers, like it or not, something must be done about it before some higher up says its curtains for Toonami.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know. Then its even worse because 1 hour is essentially wasted on reruns. Why would an hour of Premieres be "Taking over Toonami" in a way that 1 hour of reruns isnt?

And Toonami is bleeding viewers, like it or not, something must be done about it before some higher up says its curtains for Toonami.
Because no show on Toonami ever got an hour of new episodes and Toonami can only run so many shows since it's a limited block once a week. They already limited on new shows they can bring now since they have several long running shows with HxH having at least another year before it finishes its run and Super is ongoing so they can't even break between seasons like JoJo or Swords Arts Online and it's over 100 epsoides.

And "curtains for Toonami"? Even with these ratings, Toonami is CN's highest rated block.
Kanassa wrote:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Sorry to say this but look at this.

July 30th:
"Rickmancing the Stone": 2,860,000 (1.48)

August 6th:
"Pickle Rick": 2,310,000 (1.26)

When was the last time AS got ratings that high?

You are indeed right in that CN is doing even worse than Toonami but Adult Swim is doing much much much better than both CN and Toonami...combined.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Sorry to say this but look at this.

July 30th:

August 6th:

You are indeed right in that CN is doing even worse than Toonami but Adult Swim is doing much much much better than both CN and Toonami...combined.
Is that even remotely surprising? Now that Teen Titans Go has reached Spongebob-levels of constant reruns & timeslots over better shows that deserve them, because the show's shit, I wouldn't be surprised if CN's gonna be hemorrhaging watchers eventually. They've already lost MY viewership as a longtime fan of the channel since childhood. Without AS, or Toonami, I'd have abandoned the channel altogether by now. Both are WAY better blocks than CN right now & that's a fact. I'm pretty sure it's up to AS if Toonami stays or not & since it's not hurting at all to keep it, I don't think they're in any rush to end it right now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Sorry to say this but look at this.

July 30th:

August 6th:

Even if that is true, how is airing Super twice going to match those ratings when one new episode of Super is lucky to break a million at the moment? Even Kai at its peak only broke two million once.
Kanassa wrote:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 am

To be honest, I dont really know. My only hope is that getting to the Juicy Zamasu arc could help the ratings. Despite all my doomsaying, I love Toonami and I dont want it to go away. I only suggested what came to mind.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 am

It's only sad how badly Toonami is doing right now. Super is hitting it's stride, Kai has an amazing dub to carry it, JoJo is at Stardust Crusaders now which is new content for the dub and the most well known JoJo, Hunter X Hunter is coming off York New Arc and will be at Chimera Ant soon (Which is hell to watch weekly but I digress.), new Lupin the 3rd dub stuff. And they're just coming of a simulcast of Attack on Titan S2. Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto and Ghost in the Shell are the only real filler on the block, Ghost in the Shell is basically a stable of Toonami at this point so I see why it stays and Tokyo Ghoul won't be on for much longer.

The only way Toonami could get stronger is putting My Hero Academia on it, it's that good of a line-up right now.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 am

Thoughts on Brina Palencia voicing Zeno,

I know it's probably too obvious but I think her chopper voice could be pretty decent for the grand dictator.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

I noticed when last week's episode aired but I didn't know for sure that it was a thing until now but, they pronounced Champa differently a few times in last week's episode. In some parts it was pronounced "Shampa" so anyone with a Twitter may want to let Sabat know about it
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I noticed when last week's episode aired but I didn't know for sure that it was a thing until now but, they pronounced Champa differently a few times in last week's episode. In some parts it was pronounced "Shampa" so anyone with a Twitter may want to let Sabat know about it
Technically, the name can be pronounced as either "Champa," as it's spelled, or "Shampa." I've heard both in some different situations.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Uh, none of you guys answered Krillin1994's question.
Caulifla best girl! :)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I noticed when last week's episode aired but I didn't know for sure that it was a thing until now but, they pronounced Champa differently a few times in last week's episode. In some parts it was pronounced "Shampa" so anyone with a Twitter may want to let Sabat know about it
Technically, the name can be pronounced as either "Champa," as it's spelled, or "Shampa." I've heard both in some different situations.
They don't start calling Beerus "Beers" though. It's an inconsistency that Sabat needs to know about so it doesn't plague the rest of the dub. I went back and it seems that they only said it like "Shampa" once so it's not as bad but I could be hearing it wrong
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:Thoughts on Brina Palencia voicing Zeno,

I know it's probably too obvious but I think her chopper voice could be pretty decent for the grand dictator.
I'd like someone else other than Brina to voice Zen-Oh because she already voices Chiaotzu and Puar