"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Episode 37 dub was great, though the next couple of episodes are what I'm anticipating the most. I've been wanting to hear SSB Kaioken dubbed ever since I watched the episode for the first time. Sean Schemmel is going to be yelling like crazy in Episode 39.
His SS3 in Buu Kai was utterly excellent, definitely lived up to the expectations and I'm like everyone really anticipating #39!! It's hard to describe but it feels like there are layers to his screams now, it doesn't feel like he's just going into the booth and just yelling on top of his lungs and then leaving. He's improved across the board in every department it's really astonishing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Samurai Jack Marathon 28/10...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
http://adultswim.x10.mx

Goku vs Hit will be now 4/11!

Guess Halloween holiday? Two more breaks for Thanksgiving and Xmas I assume. Not upset over the break as it should always be expected but means we'll have to wait an extra week for Kaioken... :(

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I hate this channel...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Simere wrote:I hate this channel...
Don't hate Toonami or Adult Swim. They only do a marathon of a show once in a while & they only do it for their better shows. It's not like they're their daytime counterparts at CN who constantly spam marathons of that shitty Teen Titans reboot that actively pisses in the faces of the older fans of the original series, is surprised when it gets the backlash it does, then tries to pull an Anita Sarkeesian & plays the victim card. That show's the worst & it's partially because of the constant marathons CN gives it for no other reason than it's disproportionately popular to how it's written.
I will say, though, that AS should marathon shows on other nights rather than Saturdays, like Fridays or something, but that's the only real complaint I have towards them right now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:18 pm

I do think that they should air 2 episodes the following week as an apology. Make Buu Kai wait a week since the whole thing can be bought easily.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 am

Just finished watching episode 35 of the dub and what in the hell was Funimation thinking while they dubbing Magetta? His voice sounds hilarious in the dub lol. And is it me or does it sound like he drops the f bomb every time he makes a sound?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Just finished watching episode 35 of the dub and what in the hell was Funimation thinking while they dubbing Magetta? His voice sounds hilarious in the dub lol. And is it me or does it sound like he drops the f bomb every time he makes a sound?
It does sound like it, but I am pretty sure he is saying "thwack".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Just finished watching episode 35 of the dub and what in the hell was Funimation thinking while they dubbing Magetta? His voice sounds hilarious in the dub lol. And is it me or does it sound like he drops the f bomb every time he makes a sound?
I've said the same thing to someone else.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 am

37 dub was absolutely awesome. Cabba's voice actor is perfect for his role. Super has done an excellent job with casting I haven't hated a single new voice yet.

But... that dubbed ending... oh my god that was the worst official piece of dubbing a song I have ever heard in my life. How did they let that air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDr1IPeQBQ

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 am

nato25 wrote:But... that dubbed ending... oh my god that was the worst official piece of dubbing a song I have ever heard in my life. How did they let that air.

I literally cannot understand a damn thing that is being said.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:18 am

The next few episodes are going to be absolutely fantastic.
Everything from the Hit fights to the introduction of Xeno, can't wait to watch it all in English.
"Oh dear...."

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 am

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
See, I'm not the only one hearing it. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It does sound like it, but I am pretty sure he is saying "thwack".
See, I'm not the only one hearing it. :lol:
I meant that I said he's saying "thwack," not the other word. I don't even get how you'd hear that one rather than what he's actually saying.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 pm

nato25 wrote:But... that dubbed ending... oh my god that was the worst official piece of dubbing a song I have ever heard in my life. How did they let that air.

I haven't liked any of the dubbed ending songs so far, but this is easily the worst yet. I wish they would've run the Japanese one at least a few times like they did the other endings, because I really liked the original song.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Scsigs wrote:It's weird how much Chapin sounds like a slightly higher-pitched Yuri Lowenthal.
He sounds like the lovechild of Yuri Lowenthal and Johnny Yong Bosch. I like his take on Cabba. Still really curious as to who they'll cast for Caulifla.

Can't wait to hear more of Hit soon. I always liked that ED so I also like the dubbed version but yeah the lyrics are basically incomprehensible and the vocals are blaring.

What do you guys think of them possibly leaving it as Hakai instead of Destroy/Destruction?

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Is there any word of Part Three's BR release?

I know Part One was July (late June?), Part Two was two weeks ago. In theory, Part Three should be December yeah?

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Is there any word of Part Three's BR release?

I know Part One was July (late June?), Part Two was two weeks ago. In theory, Part Three should be December yeah?
Pre-orders for January went up today (or yesterday?), and nothing. Super Part 3 and One Piece Season 9 Part 4 are both conspicuously absent. It's a little weird.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 am

Asura wrote:
Scsigs wrote:It's weird how much Chapin sounds like a slightly higher-pitched Yuri Lowenthal.
He sounds like the lovechild of Yuri Lowenthal and Johnny Yong Bosch. I like his take on Cabba. Still really curious as to who they'll cast for Caulifla.

Can't wait to hear more of Hit soon. I always liked that ED so I also like the dubbed version but yeah the lyrics are basically incomprehensible and the vocals are blaring.

What do you guys think of them possibly leaving it as Hakai instead of Destroy/Destruction?
"Hakai" sounds better imo, plus sounds more unique than "destroy". Caulifla is calling out for Marchi, I would be shocked if she wasn't cast!
Theophrastus wrote:

Pre-orders for January went up today (or yesterday?), and nothing. Super Part 3 and One Piece Season 9 Part 4 are both conspicuously absent. It's a little weird.
Jan typically isn't a big month for FUNi and looks like they just used it to fill out more of theirs and CR's backlog of titles, so the rest of the year shouldn't be bogged down by them. Hopefully we get Part 3 in Feb and 4 in April.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:47 am

Theophrastus wrote:

I hate waiting for these haha. I haven't been watching on TV because of no cable, don't feel like downloading or streaming so I've been buying the blu-rays to binge watch and I like to buy the home release. Of course the home releases end before the arc ends and that bothers me so much!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:"Hakai" sounds better imo, plus sounds more unique than "destroy". Caulifla is calling out for Marchi, I would be shocked if she wasn't cast!
But that wouldn't be faithful to the spirit of the original Japanese. Remember; "破壊" is nothing special to Japanese folk. To them, it's just a normal word; so for the dub, it'd be most accurate to use a word that we Americans consider a "normal word" too. So I'm hoping for "Destroy" myself.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".