"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sean on twitter:
"I’ve spent this entire week in Texas recording Goku, Goku Black and Rosé. I am confident these eps are gonna be off the hook! I can’t wait to hear the final mix! #exhausted #youallwillloveit!"
The fact that he distinguished Black from Rosé in that tweet has me a *little* nervous. I assume they were radically different in Xenoverse 2 because they were locked into that first take for Goku Black, and Rose would be more reflective of the final performance for the whole character. They shouldn't be separate characters in the show, the performance should be consistent. Still hoping that's the case, and I'm optimistic on the whole. I reckon Sean's got it in him to pull off a great villainous performance for Goku Black.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
"I’ve spent this entire week in Texas recording Goku, Goku Black and Rosé. I am confident these eps are gonna be off the hook! I can’t wait to hear the final mix! #exhausted #youallwillloveit!"
The fact that he distinguished Black from Rosé in that tweet has me a *little* nervous. I assume they were radically different in Xenoverse 2 because they were locked into that first take for Goku Black, and Rose would be more reflective of the final performance for the whole character. They shouldn't be separate characters in the show, the performance should be consistent. Still hoping that's the case, and I'm optimistic on the whole. I reckon Sean's got it in him to pull off a great villainous performance for Goku Black.
Have to remember Sean always does different voices for Goku's forms it's nothing to worry about, and some of those have subtle nuisances. Should be fine.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Have to remember Sean always does different voices for Goku's forms it's nothing to worry about, and some of those have subtle nuisances. Should be fine.
Well, yeah, but they're always subtle variations of his normal Goku voice. His Goku Black performance has, so far, been inconsistent & certainly NOT subtle.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:53 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Even in the Japanese version, Black sounds a bit different once he become Rose. His voice become rougher, ruder, and takes on more of Goku's mannerisms.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Have to remember Sean always does different voices for Goku's forms it's nothing to worry about, and some of those have subtle nuisances. Should be fine.
Only Super Saiyan 3 and 4 have a different voice for Goku. Goku did deepen Super Saiyan for Kai, but no other Super Saiyan forms have a different 'voice'.

Well, he did originally give Super Saiyan God a deep voice in Battle of Z, but then he changed it for the movie onward.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:07 am

HeroR wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Even in the Japanese version, Black sounds a bit different once he become Rose. His voice become rougher, ruder, and takes on more of Goku's mannerisms.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Have to remember Sean always does different voices for Goku's forms it's nothing to worry about, and some of those have subtle nuisances. Should be fine.
Only Super Saiyan 3 and 4 have a different voice for Goku. Goku did deepen Super Saiyan for Kai, but no other Super Saiyan forms have a different 'voice'.

Well, he did originally give Super Saiyan God a deep voice in Battle of Z, but then he changed it for the movie onward.
I've been to a few panels with Sean in Australia. Hes definitely said he gives each form a slightly deeper tone so I imagine he will do the same with Rose.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 am

nato25 wrote:
I've been to a few panels with Sean in Australia. Hes definitely said he gives each form a slightly deeper tone so I imagine he will do the same with Rose.
The different much be extremely subtle since there is no real change in his voice between Super Saiyan 1 and 2, and Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan sounds about the same. Except Goku tends to sound more cocky with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 am

Kataphrut wrote:
his rose voice is not good either its just less terrible from the horrible batman lookalike voice they had in the begining. he will never top nozawa.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:33 am

puar wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
his rose voice is not good either its just less terrible from the horrible batman lookalike voice they had in the begining. he will never top nozawa.
It's not about "topping" Nozawa. Sean himself has said he doesn't like making comparisons to her, positive or negative. It's about putting on a good performance within the expectations of the role, and I think he can pull it off.

And we only have Xenoverse 2 to go on for his Rose performance, and Xenoverse 2's dub was a mixed bag even for the established characters, let alone a brand new character. But since they keep having to debut new characters in that game (at least whoever they cast as Jiren will have an easy ride), I think they've pretty much settled on it being a kind of practice run for the main series.

To be honest, of the three "big" performances they need to get right this arc, Sean as Goku Black is the one I'm least worried about. If he gets Black's debut in #47 right, it'll be smooth sailing afterward. I'm more concerned about Eric Vale and James Marsters. Vale is a great actor, but I have issues with the raspy version of Trunks' voice he uses nowadays. He needs to be able to carry a dramatic arc.

Meanwhile, Marsters is an unknown but I just hope he's sincere about putting the effort in. Right now, there's a dangerous whiff of stunt casting about the whole thing. His Xenoverse performance felt phoned-in in places, but there was the potential for something good there.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:45 am

Kataphrut wrote:
It's not about "topping" Nozawa. Sean himself has said he doesn't like making comparisons to her, positive or negative. It's about putting on a good performance within the expectations of the role, and I think he can pull it off.

And we only have Xenoverse 2 to go on for his Rose performance, and Xenoverse 2's dub was a mixed bag even for the established characters, let alone a brand new character. But since they keep having to debut new characters in that game (at least whoever they cast as Jiren will have an easy ride), I think they've pretty much settled on it being a kind of practice run for the main series.

To be honest, of the three "big" performances they need to get right this arc, Sean as Goku Black is the one I'm least worried about. If he gets Black's debut in #47 right, it'll be smooth sailing afterward. I'm more concerned about Eric Vale and James Marsters. Vale is a great actor, but I have issues with the raspy version of Trunks' voice he uses nowadays. He needs to be able to carry a dramatic arc.

Meanwhile, Marsters is an unknown but I just hope he's sincere about putting the effort in. Right now, there's a dangerous whiff of stunt casting about the whole thing. His Xenoverse performance felt phoned-in in places, but there was the potential for something good there.
Marsters is the least worrisome since we know what to expect by looking at his Dragon Ball Evolution performance. While the film is widely hated, Marsters' performance as Piccolo is called very good and the only redeeming thing about the film. He also wants to put in a good performance for Zamasu since he's a Dragon Ball fan and doesn't want to be known for his role in Evolution.
Kanassa wrote:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:55 am

puar wrote:his rose voice is not good either its just less terrible from the horrible batman lookalike voice they had in the beginning. he will never top Nozawa.
Sean's not in the business to top Nozawa. Watch any video on YouTube from back in 2013 where they did some con panels together. He respects her so much, even at one point admitting to not being Goku when a fan asked them to give a greeting as their respective Gokus. Personally, I feel he doesn't give himself enough credit. To the majority of the English speaking world, he will always be Goku. His Goku voice is the most wide-spread when it comes to the English dubs, so it'd be tough to beat. Not only that, but he's said himself that he really doesn't take much influence from her. Only on some things, like Super Saiyan God, has he actually taken a cue from her performance. I think that also goes for his most recent evolution of his Goku voice, where he goes more high in pitch for when Goku's not being too serious. It's the only explanation I can think of, really. Personally, I think he matches Nozawa pretty well most of the time. Each have their pros & cons as VAs.
His Goku Black voice DID need work after Xenoverse 2, though. I'm hoping he watched some of the episodes & really took notes on the character to inform his performance. We'll see. That's what he's been doing for the last decade as Goku, so I have full confidence in his ability to do the role justice.
Kataphrut wrote:It's not about "topping" Nozawa. Sean himself has said he doesn't like making comparisons to her, positive or negative. It's about putting on a good performance within the expectations of the role, and I think he can pull it off.

You said yourself that Xenoverse 2's dub isn't really a good basis to go off of for what will eventually be in the dub of Super. The only recast from that game's dub so far has been Hit, one that I think Sabat wanted from the beginning but couldn't get at the time. Matthew Mercer's certainly better, no doubt, but every other choice has been set. No doubt that they're also getting better direction than what was allowed for the game, since they have the animation to work off of rather than just the dialogue & some bland direction notes.
Personally, I love that kind of casting in dubs. It shouldn't be about matching the vice in the original language, but finding a voice that fits the character in both design & personality. I mean, that's why I like the diversity in Dragon Ball's dub cast from the beginning of the season 3 DBZ dub to now. They didn't care about matching the Japanese in pitch. They chose VAs who could fit the roles of the characters. Though they also had to find VAs who could imitate the Ocean actors too, but they eventually found their own voices for the characters. I mean, that's why I love the casting of Franky in One Piece's dub, even though I've never heard the Japanese VA outside of maybe 1 or 2 clips. I know Seitz sounds NOTHING like the Japanese VA & it's great because his portrayal still fits the character.
As for Vale, I feel the rasp helps Trunks' character sound wartorn, which he is. I get how it can be a bit annoying, but it's still the same basic voice nonetheless.
Marsters just needed better direction & understanding of the character. Also, he can't really scream. I'm sure he'll be able to do better in the show, but his dying scream when Trunks sliced Zamasu in half was kinda half-assed, but then again, he doesn't usually voice act for Shonen anime, so I don't know if he has any practice with screaming. He IS a singer, though, so maybe he can have a good performance if he needs to scream again.

Also, can someone explain to me how it was found out that Marsters is Zamasu, please? I don't remember if anyone ever explained it before.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Any chance it's Brian Drummond playing copy Vegeta?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 pm

DHM211 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Holy shit. Sabat's tweet would make a lot more sense too. Wowza.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
What tweet?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
What tweet?
" I just want you to know we’re taking you all waaaaay back with us on Saturday. #DragonBallSuper @FUNimation"

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 8156230656

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Yep, it was Brian Drummond!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Yep, Copy Vegeta is Drummond.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Brian Drummond, fuck yes! And credited under his own name too. I thought he was a union actor. Then again, they've gotten Scott McNeil for One Piece, so it's no surprise, I guess. I'm not an Ocean dub fan by any means, but this was a FANTASTIC casting choice. I always DID like that voice for a villain, even if I prefer Sabat for Vegeta. This is GREAT!
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 am

Aw man, a Chris Sabat Brian Drummond off? That's actually really clever. It made me tune in and I don't even watch Super's dub.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

And they got the tweet clip out in record time. Wonder if they'll upload THIS ONE to YouTube in the next few days as well...
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 6356331521

"Your father was an average fighter, but a BRILLIANT scientist."

to

"This is why you're weak!"

GREAT line delivery.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 am

Some people are just never going to let Sean lived down Xenoverse 2 with Black and get all nervous because he refers to Black and Black Rose as different voices. I mean, do people not realize that even in the Japanese sub that Black Rose's vocal changes?
Kanassa wrote: