"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:42 am

puar wrote:he will never top nozawa.
Uhh...can we please not? Don't come to the dub topic and just start making fanboy comments like that. No one is claiming that he will or will not top Nozawa, and it literally doesn't matter. The performance can be good without "topping Nozawa".
Kataphrut wrote:
Vale is a great actor, but I have issues with the raspy version of Trunks' voice he uses nowadays. He needs to be able to carry a dramatic arc.
I think Vale has gotten worse at doing Trunks over the years. He really overacts certain lines nowadays. Everything sounds like he's in the most intense situation of his life.

"Hey, do we have anymore toilet paper?"

*Literally sounds like he's about to die*

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:02 am

HeroR wrote: Some people are just never going to let Sean lived down Xenoverse 2 with Black and get all nervous because he refers to Black and Black Rose as different voices. I mean, do people not realize that even in the Japanese sub that Black Rose's vocal changes?

are you sure about that? it dosent change at all at the japanse. I've watched it a milion times. the voice dosent change in japanse from base to rose

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:05 am

puar wrote:
HeroR wrote: Some people are just never going to let Sean lived down Xenoverse 2 with Black and get all nervous because he refers to Black and Black Rose as different voices. I mean, do people not realize that even in the Japanese sub that Black Rose's vocal changes?

are you sure about that? it dosent change at all at the japanse. I've watched it a milion times. the voice dosent change in japanse from base to rose
Yes, there is a change. Black Rose speaks rougher than base Black and is ruder. In other words, Black becomes more like Goku, while before he's noticeable more polite and uses proper Japanese.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:18 am

Scsigs wrote:And they got the tweet clip out in record time. Wonder if they'll upload THIS ONE to YouTube in the next few days as well...
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 6356331521

"Your father was an average fighter, but a BRILLIANT scientist."

to

"This is why you're weak!"

GREAT line delivery.
Are you implying that the "scientist" line wasn't delivered amazingly?

Anyway, I'm so happy to hear about that little Drummond cameo! The more of the superior Vegeta the better! Can't wait until these episodes come out on DVD!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am

Yo, Brian Drummond is actually voicing Copy Vegeta! This is a dream come true! The hype is Over 9000!!!!
Caulifla best girl! :)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:32 am

This made me fanboy the fuck out. I'm so happy that they casted Brian Drummond to play Copy Vegeta. Now I may actually enjoy this mini arc.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:10 am

You know, I remember saying somewhere in this thread that the dub actually made me enjoy the movie recaps and wondered if it could do the same for the Copy Vegeta arc.

This? This is how you make that happen.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:23 am

LOL, FUNImation just made the Copy Vegeta arc actually watchable.

I never thought I would say that. Or rewatch these eps ever again. Wow.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:54 am

It's an awesome casting gag to have Drummond and Sabat voice two Vegetas in the same show. :clap: :thumbup:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:58 am

TheQuazz wrote:
Scsigs wrote:And they got the tweet clip out in record time. Wonder if they'll upload THIS ONE to YouTube in the next few days as well...
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 6356331521

"Your father was an average fighter, but a BRILLIANT scientist."

to

"This is why you're weak!"

GREAT line delivery.
Are you implying that the "scientist" line wasn't delivered amazingly?

Anyway, I'm so happy to hear about that little Drummond cameo! The more of the superior Vegeta the better! Can't wait until these episodes come out on DVD!
No. The scientist line, while being everything I hate about late-90s/early 2000s anime dubbing, was delivered really well. He's gonna try to send regular Vegeta to the next dimension!
Too bad it's Sunday, though. There'd be a lot more people in that dimension tomorrow.
Ah, Phelous.

By the way, just found out that the Japanese team had a bit of a fun casting gag too, with the guy who played Tarble (who also plays Whis also) as Copy Vegeta in Japanese...after Horikawa played him in episode 44...odd...
Still, at least FUNi's being more consistent with it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 am

Now I love Sabat even more. He fucking got Drummond to play Copy Vegeta.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 am

Preview for #45
https://youtu.be/s3CtIC4ugSw

This. Is. Amazing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Preview for #45

This. Is. Amazing.
Good god never thought I'd see the day. Drummond and Sabat in a Dragon Ball dub together? Too awesome to be true.

Definitely see this becoming one of the dub's highlights.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:59 am

I haven't been following the Dragon Ball Super dub at all, but getting Brian Drummond to play Copy Vegeta is pretty amazing.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:34 am

HeroR wrote:
puar wrote:are you sure about that? it dosent change at all at the japanse. I've watched it a milion times. the voice dosent change in japanse from base to rose
Yes, there is a change. Black Rose speaks rougher than base Black and is ruder. In other words, Black becomes more like Goku, while before he's noticeable more polite and uses proper Japanese.
Pretty sure you're making this up, Black Rosé saying things like "I have reach the height of beauty" and classifying his enemies as appetizers or main dishes is not very Goku-like and I don't see how Base Black is ruder either, he was polite in his first fight with Goku, "Strongest fighter of the great warrior race, show me more of your power." and I not talking only about his lines, but his voice tone remais the same
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 am

Ya know I’m not even an ocean dub fan but Brian Drummond as Copy Vegeta is brilliant

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am

Brain Drummond being cast as "Copy Vegeta" has to be the most wonderfully meta and ironic casting for any character in an animated TV show I've ever come across.

I can't wait. :P

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 am

HeroR wrote:
puar wrote:

thats not a voice change this is a langauge change. do you know the diffrence?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:00 am

Noah wrote: Pretty sure you're making this up, Black Rosé saying things like "I have reach the height of beauty" and classifying his enemies as appetizers or main dishes is not very Goku-like and I don't see how Base Black is ruder either, he was polite in his first fight with Goku, "Strongest fighter of the great warrior race, show me more of your power." and I not talking only about his lines, but his voice tone remais the same
You're going to say I'm making up something and provide no proof that I'm. Wow.

Yes, Black speaks less polite and starts to use ore, much like Goku. His speech pattern is 'ruder', but he never completely stops being polite.
puar wrote:
HeroR wrote:
puar wrote:[/b]

thats not a voice change this is a langauge change. do you know the diffrence?
Yes I do, thank you and Black's vocal patterns do change once he goes Rose.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ricno924

Post by Ricno924 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Preview for #45

This. Is. Amazing.
Good Lord, that's great. I've always liked Drummond's Vegeta - glad to see him returning to the role, in a way.