"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by yugidmx5 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 pm

I was very satisfied with the Schemmel voice here. It didn't sound too posh nor too deep and growly but he still kept a bit of the posh accent which makes sense since the Black is not evil Goku in the literal meaning, but the Zamasu in the Goku's body. Though I felt his lines were too rushed in this episode. Anyway can't wait to hear more!

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm

I have a few nitpicks definitely, but overall I had a blast watching this episode in English. I've decided that it's just not worth my time to be upset or annoyed, at any of the small changes or voices. I'd much rather just have fun and how with the flow. Hell at this point, I don't even care if the British accent comes back when Rose' shows up, I'm weirdly used to it now.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Heres a comparison of Goku Blacks english voice if anyone's curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GynTp59mx7w

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Just watched the latest episode. I found Black's voice decent. Nothing special or noteworthy about it. I'm glad he doesn't have a silly accent like the video games.

Does this Trunks have the same VA as the one from Xenoverse? I remember finding his Xenoverse voice far too raspy. He sounds noticeably better now.

Rooting for James Marsters to put in a great show in the coming weeks. Big fan of his work.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:08 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Someone uploaded Trunks vs Merged Zamasu from ep 66.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ekYfzaZWQ
How is this possible?
These episodes were likely recorded months back - Sean Schemmel recently recorded his lines just before Christmas.

This footage was taken from Anime Expo/New York Comic Con where the winners of the Future Trunks Arc Puzzle Hunt were taken to a private room, and shown footage of Trunks defeating Zamasu (dub version).
Vale and Marsters likely recorded months ago, and Sean was last to record (Mike McFarland did some too, just before Christmas) to my knowledge.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm

AloversGaming wrote:Just watched the latest episode. I found Black's voice decent. Nothing special or noteworthy about it. I'm glad he doesn't have a silly accent like the video games.

Does this Trunks have the same VA as the one from Xenoverse? I remember finding his Xenoverse voice far too raspy. He sounds noticeably better now.

Rooting for James Marsters to put in a great show in the coming weeks. Big fan of his work.
Yep. Eric Vale’s Trunks in Xenoverse and Super.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Damn, Sean Schemmel nailed this one finally. :clap:
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 pm

puar wrote:
mint0h wrote:Harry Price uploaded the clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-gEjOwxtIo
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

what the hell was that? too think weve waited so long. for this? its just goku voice talking. what the hell? I'm sorry but this is terrible. so now everytime in the ARC where black goes from base to rose hes gonna change his voice compleatly to his xenoverse 2 voice? because the xenoverse 2 voice was good. i mean the rose one. i expected this to be the voice of both base and rose. but that is just stupid as hell. this is just goku voice. same thing. even the rough goku black base voice from xenoverse was better then this. damm. this clip ruined my hype so much. to think I've waited for this arc dub for this long for nothing. way to go funimation.

also the ''you killed herrrrrrrrrrrrrr'' by trunks sound so cringey. like the new over 9000 meme or something. what the hell went trough their head when they decided to put that cringey line instead of bastard. why does vale has to drag it so long??? i know from my posts that I'm a big fan of vale but this is bad. really bad
What the hell did you expect? Black IS GOKU. So of course he's going to sound like him...I've seen this complaint a lot and I just don't get it. What do you want? Nozawa as Black sounded like Goku, just deeper, and so does Sean. It would be beyond stupid for him to put on same silly forced voice.

And even then, there's a way to criticize something without coming off like such an asshat. Chill out. There's no need to be so toxic.
puar wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:Episode 48 Preview https://youtu.be/aY5EaD2vKcE
ok now its confimred. black dub voice suck balls. thats exectly the same voice as goku. wtf? there is no variation whatsovever. cant believe funimation is lazy. way to kill all the style of the original black.
And I think you need to get your hearing checked if you think that sounds identical to Goku. It's very CLEARLY not the same.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:34 am

Blacks voice was just what I imagined it would sound like, sinister but still clearly Goku. I'm looking forward to the scene were Trunks explains how he stopped Buu from hatching, I wanna see how that sounds in English.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Artorias wrote:
puar wrote:
mint0h wrote:Harry Price uploaded the clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-gEjOwxtIo
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

what the hell was that? too think weve waited so long. for this? its just goku voice talking. what the hell? I'm sorry but this is terrible. so now everytime in the ARC where black goes from base to rose hes gonna change his voice compleatly to his xenoverse 2 voice? because the xenoverse 2 voice was good. i mean the rose one. i expected this to be the voice of both base and rose. but that is just stupid as hell. this is just goku voice. same thing. even the rough goku black base voice from xenoverse was better then this. damm. this clip ruined my hype so much. to think I've waited for this arc dub for this long for nothing. way to go funimation.

also the ''you killed herrrrrrrrrrrrrr'' by trunks sound so cringey. like the new over 9000 meme or something. what the hell went trough their head when they decided to put that cringey line instead of bastard. why does vale has to drag it so long??? i know from my posts that I'm a big fan of vale but this is bad. really bad
What the hell did you expect? Black IS GOKU. So of course he's going to sound like him...I've seen this complaint a lot and I just don't get it. What do you want? Nozawa as Black sounded like Goku, just deeper, and so does Sean. It would be beyond stupid for him to put on same silly forced voice.

And even then, there's a way to criticize something without coming off like such an asshat. Chill out. There's no need to be so toxic.
puar wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:Episode 48 Preview https://youtu.be/aY5EaD2vKcE
ok now its confimred. black dub voice suck balls. thats exectly the same voice as goku. wtf? there is no variation whatsovever. cant believe funimation is lazy. way to kill all the style of the original black.
And I think you need to get your hearing checked if you think that sounds identical to Goku. It's very CLEARLY not the same.
Mm yes it is. Its goku voice when hes searious. There is no variation whatsoever and therefore it sucks

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm

puar wrote:Mm yes it is. It's Goku voice when he's serious. There is no variation whatsoever and therefore it sucks
Well, for one, we've only gotten a small collection of his lines so far. You really can't judge the voice from that, similar to how we couldn't judge Schemmel's early performance from Xenoverse 2 to the Super dub because it would get more nuanced from his & Sabat's research into the character.
Second, you REALLY need to listen to his Goku Black VS his Goku again if you really think there's no variation whatsoever in the voices. Goku Black is somewhere between SS3 & SS Blue in his voice range. It's an entirely new voice tone he devised for the character. With Sean's voice for Goku, you're not gonna get the hugely stark contrast that Nozawa did because he doesn't do all of what she does, but there IS a difference. His Goku HAS evolved to be more lighthearted & goofy than it was in Z when in normal scenes, but it's a different performance than Nozawa. Nozawa plays Goku like he's a child in an adult's body, while Schemmel plays up Goku's more carefree aspects, rather than being a man-child. However, Sean also plays up Goku's more heroic aspects when in the more serious moments, where Nozawa just gets more confidence in the voice. Neither are invalid interpretations of how to play the character, but both are very different approaches.
Their Goku Blacks are similar in this situation. Nozawa gave the character a more soft-spoken, threatening, tone & speaks in regular Japanese, while Schemmel gives his Goku Black a more deeper voice & speaks in ways Goku wouldn't, since Goku doesn't normally talk like a hick in the English dub, plus is more serious outside of fights. There's also a bit of a rasp there that normal Goku doesn't have unless he goes SS3 or 4, but it doesn't overwhelm the voice like the initial portrayal in Xenoverse 2 does. Again, 2 very different interpretations of how to play the character, but both are valid.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:Mm yes it is. It's Goku voice when he's serious. There is no variation whatsoever and therefore it sucks
Well, for one, we've only gotten a small collection of his lines so far. You really can't judge the voice from that, similar to how we couldn't judge Schemmel's early performance from Xenoverse 2 to the Super dub because it would get more nuanced from his & Sabat's research into the character.
Second, you REALLY need to listen to his Goku Black VS his Goku again if you really think there's no variation whatsoever in the voices. Goku Black is somewhere between SS3 & SS Blue in his voice range. It's an entirely new voice tone he devised for the character. With Sean's voice for Goku, you're not gonna get the hugely stark contrast that Nozawa did because he doesn't do all of what she does, but there IS a difference. His Goku HAS evolved to be more lighthearted & goofy than it was in Z when in normal scenes, but it's a different performance than Nozawa. Nozawa plays Goku like he's a child in an adult's body, while Schemmel plays up Goku's more carefree aspects, rather than being a man-child. However, Sean also plays up Goku's more heroic aspects when in the more serious moments, where Nozawa just gets more confidence in the voice. Neither are invalid interpretations of how to play the character, but both are very different approaches.
Their Goku Blacks are similar in this situation. Nozawa gave the character a more soft-spoken, threatening, tone & speaks in regular Japanese, while Schemmel gives his Goku Black a more deeper voice & speaks in ways Goku wouldn't, since Goku doesn't normally talk like a hick in the English dub, plus is more serious outside of fights. There's also a bit of a rasp there that normal Goku doesn't have unless he goes SS3 or 4, but it doesn't overwhelm the voice like the initial portrayal in Xenoverse 2 does. Again, 2 very different interpretations of how to play the character, but both are valid.
LISTEN TO 1:53 IN THIS VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFQAddGc_M

NOW LISTEN TO HIS VOICE HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY5EaD2vKcE

SAME VOICE EXECTLY.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 pm

puar wrote: LISTEN TO 1:53 IN THIS VIDEO

SAME VOICE EXECTLY.
Of course it's the same voice. It's Goku's body! A different soul is inhabiting the body, that doesn't mean the vocal chords have changed. In fact that's my biggest complaint with Ginyu's body change is the voice going with the soul makes no bloody sense. The differences between Goku and Black that Sean has done don't relate to the voice, it's meant to be the same voice. It's the delivery and nuance. Black is different from Goku in his speaking manner, his vocabulary, his tone when speaking to people. There is more to acting then just the voice.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm

puar wrote:LISTEN TO 1:53 IN THIS VIDEO

SAME VOICE EXECTLY.
And? It's SUPPOSED to be the same voice tone. The biggest problem with your argument here is thus, though, is that the instance Goku develops a slight gruffness in his voice is AFTER he integrated Kaioken into the mix. Goku Black talks like that most of the time is what I've gleamed from the released voice clips. You're kinda grasping at straws because in that moment, Goku was under intense physical body stress from the Kaioken, which he's always experienced from it. Considering Schemmel ALWAYS adds a bit of a rasp when Goku's fighting, this isn't surprising. He even has it here when Goku's fighting Frieza as SSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1I3hWRn1I.
However, when only talking as SSB, he's just serious as Goku, though can drift into the rasp when going more serious, but that's on the sliding scale of SSB, but then again, that's how he's been going with Super Saiyan as the levels increase https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynXz0P03ag. Black is that even more because that's his personality overall. I see why you think it's not good, but I also think you're overanalyzing this &/or not going into this with the right mindset. You're expecting a Nozawa-type performance where there's such a stark contrast between the 2, but Schemmel's NOT Nozawa & he rarely takes influence from her. More so, he prefers to do his own takes on the characters he voices. It's an entirely serious Goku voice, so this was what you should've expected.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 am

Just wanted to chime in and say that I L-O-V-E Sean`s voice for Black in super! It was pretty jarring at first, because, well, it sounds like Goku, AS IT SHOULD! This was not a british version of Goku or a deep, gruff version of Goku, it was evil Goku! It was really jarring hearing Goku say such evil things, but it worked!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:35 pm

I forgot how great the vegetable training scene was! Goten's "why" reaction to studying cracked me up :lol:.

Perfectly mirrored what was happening in Trunks' TL just seeing these characters doing mundane things is the most enjoyable thing ever.

Also again just more proof Goku is a good family man, but sadly that misconception is still a thing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I forgot how great the vegetable training scene was! Goten's "why" reaction to studying cracked me up :lol:.

Perfectly mirrored what was happening in Trunks' TL just seeing these characters doing mundane things is the most enjoyable thing ever.

Also again just more proof Goku is a good family man, but sadly that misconception is still a thing.
He's a good family man, but those instances are only shown in short bursts, unfortunately. I mean, he, obviously, cares for Chichi, or he wouldn't put up with her as much as he does, he cares for Gohan because he immediately wanted to save him from Raditz, trained him to be an even more powerful fighter than him, let him study when they were waiting for the Cell Games, he cares for Goten (unfortunately, though, we don't get enough screen time with Goten to see how), & he cares for Pan. It's a shame, though, that we see him care more for Pan than Goten, but then again, Toriyama kinda treats Goten like an afterthought, which is a shame, seeing the untapped potential there.
It's also, unfortunately, overshadowed by his other traits, though, since he shows his stupidity & fighting prowess far more than he does his caring for his family. It's there, but buried under those most of the time. People believing Team Four Star's exaggerations also doesn't help since they're a PARODY & not the official thing (though some jokes & other things in Super seem to be inspired by them, but that's besides the point).

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm

So, in the Fighterz credits, Masters is listed with the pseudonym "Sam Majesters" and not David Gray. I think that David Gray may be an alternate pseudonym
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:37 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:So, in the Fighterz credits, Masters is listed with the pseudonym "Sam Majesters" and not David Gray. I think that David Gray may be an alternate pseudonym
Most likely, but I wonder why the inconsistency. It's the same guy as Xenoverse 2, right? Maybe they're doing it on purpose to really hint at the behind-the-scenes stuff that they can't mention at present.
On top of that, I wonder why they didn't just credit Marsters sunder his own name, since the voice recording most likely was a union/nonunion production like the others.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 am

Schemmel and Sabat are doing a reddit AMA for the release of FighterZ. Sean's voice for Goku Black came up and he confirmed it will be British accent for Rose'. Among other things...
Sean Schemmel wrote:Goku's voice as Goku Black Rose will still have an accent. That's because it's based on the voice the actor playing Zamasu gave him. So, goku black will sound like goku basically, just mean and evil acting style, and Rose will have a more "proper" accent but not truly British. this is because more of the zamasu power channels through him and to also suspend disbelief in the sense that when goku black rose and zamasu are next to each other it should feel like the same type of spirit is inhabiting both bodies.
Lippti wrote:That isn't what happens though. Rosé occurs because Goku Black is Zamasu, not because "more of his power channels through him". It doesn't make sense for him to suddenly get an accent when he transforms.
Sean Schemmel wrote:So I guess we are just wrong and you are right. We are going to change it instantly. #artisticlicense. Go get a job where someone constantly criticizes your work as if they know more or have a better understanding of than you, just because they are a fan. It's not like I bust my ass as hard as possible to do as good a job as possible. Of course I don't expect constant praise or any praise. But once you get criticized for 18 years it really starts to wear on you.
Sean Schemmel wrote:I get to do whatever, the licensor, and my director allows me to do. We work hard with very little data to interpret the original source material and preserve it to the best of our ability whilst making it palatable for English speaking audiences.
Our very own mod Ajay even chimed in.
Slut_Muffin wrote:Yes, you are wrong. You are dubbing an existing show, you don't get 'artistic license'. This isn't the 90s, Mr Hope of the Universe.
Sean Schemmel wrote:Yes we do actually. It's called localization.
So yeah Sean is still not a very nice person, but now instead of him misunderstanding Goku as a character, he misunderstands Goku Black as a character. Guess we can look forward to hearing British Black...
Last edited by NintendoBlaze53 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/