"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I remember everyone complaining about Chris Ayres’ Freeza when we first heard him now he’s one of the most beloved dub voices.
That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I remember everyone complaining about Chris Ayres’ Freeza when we first heard him now he’s one of the most beloved dub voices.
That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
I seem to remember most of the hate coming from his first few lines where Freeze makes his first appearance at the end of the episode. He sounded quite different from even the episode that came after.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Since the Aussie's/Kiwi's don't have their own dedicated thread any of you that are following this one a question how well is DBS selling over there?

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Since the Aussie's/Kiwi's don't have their own dedicated thread any of you that are following this one a question how well is DBS selling over there?
Here in Australia, it seems to fly off the shelves the day it releases at JB Hi-Fi, et al

But at the same time too, there's no legal way to watch the dub due to international licensing agreements (FUNimation, Toonami, Adult Swim, etc aren't accessible without a VPN), aside from the DVD/BR releases once every three or four months.

People still find a way, but that's all I'll say about that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:Bulma's hair color is different from both the anime and manga, yet no one commented on it. For some reason, fans act like Trunks' hair is the only dye job.

As Toriyama freely admitted in an interview, he doesn't give a damn about color consistency since he doesn't see it as important.
1. No one gives 2 shits about Bulma's hair color difference. It was originally meant to be purple & only Path to Power got it right. Her name is supposed to be Romanized as "Bluma/Blooma" but no one cares about that either, not even Toriyama, since he romanized it HIMSELF as "Bulma" in the manga. The reason no one's throwing a fit about it is because it's not a continuity error within the anime shows & movies. Her hair started out a shade of teal, now it's blue, but n one cares because it's close enough & doesn't present any problems.
2. Trunks' hair was supposed to be the same color as Bulma's in the manga, but it was already set in stone in the anime. If it was supposed to be blue, it should've been colored that way back in the 90s to match Bulma's, but I don't think the animators knew who he was at the time. Plus, kid Trunks still has the purple hair, so it's both a continuity error AND an inconsistency in the show itself. If kid Trunks has blue hair, Future Trunks should as well. It only draws attention to itself because of the visual inconsistency. Everyone ELSE is perfectly on-point with their colors, so HE should be too.
3. I don't think Toriyama gives a shit about ANYTHING Dragon Ball related anymore, given some of the story & character decisions he's made, as well as letting the anime staff make. He just comes up with plots & lets the storytellers of the anime & manga go to town. In any case, his not caring about color consistency was ok for the manga, since it was always in black & white & Toriyama has always issues keeping a consistent continuity within Dragon Ball anyways. This is an anime TV series. Colors are ALWAYS part of anything animated & keeping a consistent continuity of coloring going is one of the things the animators need to do. Toriyama only does the storylines & character designs, so his input means jackshit to the animation staff passed the character designs & any new outfits they may have. Hair colors & the designs of their costumes from the past shows should be already known to them & they should be able to keep those consistent.
And even then, someone actually corrected Toriyama when he was drawing some of the character designs for Battle of Gods, since he forgot 18 was a blonde & kid Trunks' hair was purple, so I have NO idea why he thought that Future Trunks having blue hair was acceptable, or why the animators or producers did. It's a continuity gaff with the past shows & movies, it breaks this show's internal continuity just by itself, & it's a bad decision. If anything, one of the anime staff should've pointed out everything I just did & they should've corrected it before the episodes aired. If you honestly don't see this as a problem, you don't get how new TV shows in an established franchise should work.
So you're basically admitted that people are being needless nitpicking. And Toriyama does gives a shit since the reason why he came back to Dragon Ball was because he didn't want DBE to be the one thing everyone remembers. He even talks about how he couldn't stop himself about caring about Dragon Ball. He just doesn't give a damn about hair color since he sees it as unimportant.

No, I don't see the big deal since at it's just hair color, not someone's life's story being retcon.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:04 am

shadowmaria wrote:But at the same time too, there's no legal way to watch the dub due to international licensing agreements (FUNimation, Toonami, Adult Swim, etc aren't accessible without a VPN), aside from the DVD/BR releases once every three or four months.

Madman do actually have the first 26 episodes of the dub available on their AnimeLab streaming service.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:26 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:But at the same time too, there's no legal way to watch the dub due to international licensing agreements (FUNimation, Toonami, Adult Swim, etc aren't accessible without a VPN), aside from the DVD/BR releases once every three or four months.

Madman do actually have the first 26 episodes of the dub available on their AnimeLab streaming service.
That's true, but that's also only after the DVD/BR releases, so I threw that in with those without saying it

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Since the Aussie's/Kiwi's don't have their own dedicated thread any of you that are following this one a question how well is DBS selling over there?
Here in Australia, it seems to fly off the shelves the day it releases at JB Hi-Fi, et al

But at the same time too, there's no legal way to watch the dub due to international licensing agreements (FUNimation, Toonami, Adult Swim, etc aren't accessible without a VPN), aside from the DVD/BR releases once every three or four months.

That's good to hear! It's doing super well in the U.S and over here in Atlantis - I mean the UK too. Got to say fair play to the DB community supporting the show through good and bad especially when retellings of said movies are already out and available cheaply heck most people probably already own them!

I watch the dub through other means which is why I got the retellings part of me felt guilty, I was initially gonna skip to Part 3. But I'm glad anyway looks better on your shelf to start from Part 1 unlike my Kai which is FUNi Part 2 (BD) Part 3 (DVD) Part 4 (BD) then UK S3&4 BD's then FUNi's TFC BD's. It's very odd lol.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 am

From that leaked video, I can say the final battle of the arc was done well, especially Trunks' lines

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 am

If Schemmel's "accent" is more akin to his Vegetto one I'll be pretty satisfied.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm

OLKv3 wrote:From that leaked video, I can say the final battle of the arc was done well, especially Trunks' lines
pretty sure that was confirmed fake.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:From that leaked video, I can say the final battle of the arc was done well, especially Trunks' lines
pretty sure that was confirmed fake.
Considering that that was clearly Eric Vale as Trunks, I can't see why anyone would say that.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If Schemmel's "accent" is more akin to his Vegetto one I'll be pretty satisfied.
Yeah, I could see that working. One that's there, but is more uppercrust than outright British like Sabat's Vegeta has. I'm hoping that that's how it's turned out.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 pm

How did someone even get that footage? It seemed like every other clip using XV quotes but that was different

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:How did someone even get that footage? It seemed like every other clip using XV quotes but that was different
Before it was taken down, that guy said that he recorded the clip after some sort of scavenger hunt in NYC (I believe that was the city he named) & the people there were able to see some short clips of the upcoming episodes along the way.
As for the whole "clips using XV quotes" part, there's no way that that's what that was. For 1, XV doesn't have those lines from Eric Vale in it & I don't think any game does right now, & 2, The closest we've gotten to a good dub of that scene is TFS' version that parodies it from after that episode premiered in Japan last year. On top of that, if it WAS one of those, 1, why would that person record it off a flatscreen TV in a crowded room of people who wouldn't shut up, & 2, why would it be taken down for copyright not 24 hours after it was uploaded when the actual fan edits are still up & viewable right now months after they were uploaded? That alone lets you know it's legit the real deal.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:How did someone even get that footage? It seemed like every other clip using XV quotes but that was different
Before it was taken down, that guy said that he recorded the clip after some sort of scavenger hunt in NYC (I believe that was the city he named) & the people there were able to see some short clips of the upcoming episodes along the way.
As for the whole "clips using XV quotes" part, there's no way that that's what that was. For 1, XV doesn't have those lines from Eric Vale in it & I don't think any game does right now, & 2, The closest we've gotten to a good dub of that scene is TFS' version that parodies it from after that episode premiered in Japan last year. On top of that, if it WAS one of those, 1, why would that person record it off a flatscreen TV in a crowded room of people who wouldn't shut up, & 2, why would it be taken down for copyright not 24 hours after it was uploaded? That alone lets you know it's legit the real deal.
I know its legit now that I saw it. I hadn't seen it before that, I was going by what I heard. What I meant that there were tons of Black arc scenes using XV voice clips in the past pretending to be official so I was just suspicious. The TFS version wasnt really that good in my opinion but okay.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
As for the whole "clips using XV quotes" part, there's no way that that's what that was. For 1, XV doesn't have those lines from Eric Vale in it & I don't think any game does right now, & 2, The closest we've gotten to a good dub of that scene is TFS' version that parodies it from after that episode premiered in Japan last year. On top of that, if it WAS one of those, 1, why would that person record it off a flatscreen TV in a crowded room of people who wouldn't shut up, & 2, why would it be taken down for copyright not 24 hours after it was uploaded? That alone lets you know it's legit the real deal.
I know its legit now that I saw it. I hadn't seen it before that, I was going by what I heard. What I meant that there were tons of Black arc scenes using XV voice clips in the past pretending to be official so I was just suspicious. The TFS version wasnt really that good in my opinion but okay.
Is the clip still up? Haven't seen it

Also, on the subject of lines not being heard in Xenoverse. Remember, there's actually surprising amount of unused lines from a lot of characters in the files.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I know its legit now that I saw it. I hadn't seen it before that, I was going by what I heard. What I meant that there were tons of Black arc scenes using XV voice clips in the past pretending to be official so I was just suspicious. The TFS version wasn't really that good in my opinion but okay.

Also, on the subject of lines not being heard in Xenoverse. Remember, there's actually surprising amount of unused lines from a lot of characters in the files.
Are they alternate takes of dialogue in the game, or just alternate dialogue altogether? Because I doubt lines like the ones in that clip were sourced from XV2, to be honest.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I know its legit now that I saw it. I hadn't seen it before that, I was going by what I heard. What I meant that there were tons of Black arc scenes using XV voice clips in the past pretending to be official so I was just suspicious. The TFS version wasn't really that good in my opinion but okay.

Are they alternate takes of dialogue in the game, or just alternate dialogue altogether? Because I doubt lines like the ones in that clip were sourced from XV2, to be honest.
Alternate dialogue and different Super Moves/Transformations.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Is that leak still around? Anyone got a link to it?

Never rated this saga anyways but maybe the dub can make it better?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
You REALLY shouldn't have said it was "confirmed fake" when you yourself wasn't sure. That's how misinformation spreads to begin with
Jean0987654321 wrote:
Is that leak still around? Anyone got a link to it?

Never rated this saga anyways but maybe the dub can make it better?
I can't find it anymore, it got taken down pretty quickly once it spread