"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Spider-Man » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:I personally can't wait to hear the official English voice of Zamasu, my favourite character in Dragon Ball. I wonder if we will hear his voice this week in the preview for episode 53.
Me too I can't wait to hear his English voice.
    Asura wrote:
    Yeah, sure there's nothing we can do about it but I think what pisses me off the most about the whole Rosé British accent thing is Schemmel's explanation which makes absolutely zero sense. I know he often talks about other people telling him how to do his job, but headcanon, and more specifically completely nonsensical headcanon shouldn't be part of his job description if you ask me.
    Yeah I don't really understand why he have a British accent in Rose it doesn't make any sense.

TheOtherDude
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 pm

I was once again reminded how much better the Z animation was when Trunks reacted to Gohans death as opposed to Super.

Yeah it was from a special so they had more time, but it still lacks some of the detail. It just looks so plain.. Almost as if it’s a slideshow

mint0h
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 pm

There are moments where Trunks' facial expression seems off, like the gap between his eyes is too wide in shots.

EDIT: Pay attention to the NEP during Buu Kai, Zamasu and Gowasu will probably speak.

OLKv3
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 am

mint0h wrote:There are moments where Trunks' facial expression seems off, like the gap between his eyes is too wide in shots.

EDIT: Pay attention to the NEP during Buu Kai, Zamasu and Gowasu will probably speak.
    I'm guessing we didn't get it, since there's no buzz about it

mint0h
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:57 am

OLKv3 wrote:
    mint0h wrote:There are moments where Trunks' facial expression seems off, like the gap between his eyes is too wide in shots.

I'm guessing we didn't get it, since there's no buzz about it
    Yeah that's strange.

TheOtherDude
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 am

He doesn’t look nearly as mature as he was in Z. Looks like he’s a couple years older than kid Trunks :/

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 am

TheOtherDude wrote:

He doesn’t look nearly as mature as he was in Z. Looks like he’s a couple years older than kid Trunks :/
    He actually grew into an adult in Z, that's why

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 am

This episode was pretty decent, but the only thing I have with it on a writing level is why is present Trunks suddenly interested in Mai? He showed 0 interest beforehand & his alternate future self showing up wouldn't really change that, realistically. There's no setup for it either & it comes out of nowhere. It's kinda like Kevin & Gwen in the later Ben 10 shows. Kinda hate when writers don't understand how relationships work. I realize saying that when discussing Dragon Ball probably doesn't make much sense, but whatever.
    Towards the dub, everyone's still on-point. It's too bad that the History of Trunks isn't animated better, since I think Vale actually does a good young Future Trunks now. His performance in History of Trunks wasn't awful, but I seriously wish that special would get redubbed, since I don't think it was that good either. His performance here is radically improved from when that special first got dubbed.
    Hearing Kyle Hebert as Future Gohan was something to be expected, since he's voiced the character in the games for years now. At first, I thought that they reused Dameon Clarke's recordings from the special, since his performance was weird at first, but then he evened out & I recognized his Gohan voice. Another reason I wish they'd redub the special.
    I also appreciate the later half of this episode dubbed on a meta level. We have Eric Vale voicing Future Trunks, who also voices Sanji in One Piece, a chef, though Eric's a bit of a chef in his personal life too from what I understand, telling Videl she's a good chef. High praise coming from Sanji.
    All around another great one. Next week we're getting James Marsters as Zamasu, baby, taking on canon non-Justin Chatwin Goku. Hype!
    TheOtherDude wrote:

Trunks in Super is only around 10 years older than he was in Z. On top of that, Saiyans stop aging after a certain age so they can keep fighting for a while. I think Vegeta said that at the end of Z. Hell, Goku's looked basically the same since he was 18, same with Gohan at 16. Present Trunks in Super in this arc's around 12 or so years old, given he was 8 in the Buu Saga & it's been, at the very least, 4-5 years since then.
    Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
    Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
    https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheOtherDude
    Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:47 am

Scsigs wrote:This episode was pretty decent, but the only thing I have with it on a writing level is why is present Trunks suddenly interested in Mai? He showed 0 interest beforehand & his alternate future self showing up wouldn't really change that, realistically. There's no setup for it either & it comes out of nowhere. It's kinda like Kevin & Gwen in the later Ben 10 shows. Kinda hate when writers don't understand how relationships work. I realize saying that when discussing Dragon Ball probably doesn't make much sense, but whatever.
    Towards the dub, everyone's still on-point. It's too bad that the History of Trunks isn't animated better, since I think Vale actually does a good young Future Trunks now. His performance in History of Trunks wasn't awful, but I seriously wish that special would get redubbed, since I don't think it was that good either. His performance here is radically improved from when that special first got dubbed.
    Hearing Kyle Hebert as Future Gohan was something to be expected, since he's voiced the character in the games for years now. At first, I thought that they reused Dameon Clarke's recordings from the special, since his performance was weird at first, but then he evened out & I recognized his Gohan voice. Another reason I wish they'd redub the special.
    I also appreciate the later half of this episode dubbed on a meta level. We have Eric Vale voicing Future Trunks, who also voices Sanji in One Piece, a chef, though Eric's a bit of a chef in his personal life too from what I understand, telling Videl she's a good chef. High praise coming from Sanji.
    All around another great one. Next week we're getting James Marsters as Zamasu, baby, taking on canon non-Justin Chatwin Goku. Hype!
    TheOtherDude wrote:

Trunks in Super is only around 10 years older than he was in Z. On top of that, Saiyans stop aging after a certain age so they can keep fighting for a while. I think Vegeta said that at the end of Z. Hell, Goku's looked basically the same since he was 18, same with Gohan at 16. Present Trunks in Super in this arc's around 12 or so years old, given he was 8 in the Buu Saga & it's been, at the very least, 4-5 years since then.
    You guys seem to misunderstand what I’m saying. Trunks looks like a child right now compared to how mature he looked in Z. He actually looked like an adult unlike now. It has nothing to do with the aging process of Saiyans. I’m well aware of that. The animation style here makes him look much younger than what he really is.

SSGSS Goku
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 am

Zamasu and Gowasu dub voices https://youtu.be/lAPBGkniz2I

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:02 am

SSGSS Goku wrote:Zamasu and Gowasu dub voices https://youtu.be/lAPBGkniz2I
    He sounds exactly like Xenoverse
    Also, Trunks likes Mai because Toriyama's outline is obviously based off the BoG and RoF scripts where he had them as a couple

The Patrolman
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:04 am

Dear lord Zamasu English voice is so mediocre. I wish they gotten Jerry Jewel to voice him
    The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:48 am

TheOtherDude wrote:You guys seem to misunderstand what I’m saying. Trunks looks like a child right now compared to how mature he looked in Z. He actually looked like an adult unlike now. It has nothing to do with the aging process of Saiyans. I’m well aware of that. The animation style here makes him look much younger than what he really is.
    Well, in the new animation style, everyone looks younger than they did in Z, so it's just par for the course, I guess.
    OLKv3 wrote:
    He sounds exactly like Xenoverse
    Also, Trunks likes Mai because Toriyama's outline is obviously based off the BoG and RoF scripts where he had them as a couple.
    I don't remember them ever being a couple in those movies. In BOG, everyone mistook them for being a couple because Trunks had them pretend to be after someone asking them if they were & RF, Mai was only in the beginning & Trunks was nowhere to be seen. In Super's version of the events, they didn't even have a scene together, did they? I don't remember them doing so. And did they have any scenes together in U6?
    Ugh! This is why I hate watching a serialized show weekly rather than binging it. I can't remember shit!
    Anyways, that seemed more like ship teasing if anything to me, just something to help the comedy along. Future Mai I could buy being in a relationship with Future Trunks, since it's obviously been a while since she's seen Shou & Pilaf & she's a different person than present Mai due to the timeline changes by the androids & Black. I mean, I get they want present Trunk & Mai to get together, but it needs proper development that nothing other than a timeskip can bring.
    The Patrolman wrote:Dear lord Zamasu English voice is so mediocre. I wish they gotten Jerry Jewel to voice him.
    I'd actually say Gowasu's voice is kind of mediocre. I mean, it's not bad, but it kinda sounds like Saul from One Piece. It sounds a touch too deep or old or something. Zamasu I'm giving a chance because Marsters now had proper direction by Sabat, understanding of Zamasu's personality, scripts, & the animation to work with, just like Schemmel. His performance in XV2 was hindered by not having any of those things to work with. It's also his first anime dub voice work, so I think cutting him a little slack for the first few episodes he's in is in order.
    I mean, Maxie Whitehead wasn't good as Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but after a few episodes, she finally nailed down a perfect imitation of how Aaron Dismuke sounded as a kid from the first show's dub, which is also how she voices Dende in Kai, so we don't know. Maybe Marsters could improve a lot in the coming episodes, since he has to switch up his performance from how Zamasu is played in the next episode to a more evil & sinister tone. That's how his Japanese VA did it, right? I watched the flashback of how Zamasu switched bodies with Goku in the sub from a clip on YouTube & he played him before he did anything evil as a normal guy, right? That's the impression I got at least & his performance switched really noticeable. We'll see how Marsters matched that.

SupremeKai25
    I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 am

Nice, so it's exactly as I predicted and we had a preview of Zamasu's voice this week.

I think I have to get used to it. Shin-ichiro Miki was quite different, his voice was more high-pitched and younger, whereas in the English dub Zamasu has a more mature and deeper voice (even though he's supposed to be a very young Shinjin, so that's awkward). But, hey, I'll wait before jumping to conclusions.

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:54 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Nice, so it's exactly as I predicted and we had a preview of Zamasu's voice this week.

I think I have to get used to it. Shin-ichiro Miki was quite different, his voice was more high-pitched and younger, whereas in the English dub Zamasu has a more mature and deeper voice (even though he's supposed to be a very young Shinjin, so that's awkward). But, hey, I'll wait before jumping to conclusions.
    Someone actually complained in the comments of one of the uploads that he hated Zamasu calling Goku "mortal," apparently not realizing or knowing that he has the habit of saying "ningen" in the sub, which the Crunchyroll subs render as "human" instead (even though that makes no sense for the Saiyans, or the entirety of the mortal realm).

SupremeKai25
    I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:59 am

Scsigs wrote:
    SupremeKai25 wrote:Nice, so it's exactly as I predicted and we had a preview of Zamasu's voice this week.

Someone actually complained in the comments of one of the uploads that he hated Zamasu calling Goku "mortal," apparently not realizing or knowing that he has the habit of saying "ningen" in the sub, which the Crunchyroll subs render as "human" instead (even though that makes no sense for the Saiyans, or the entirety of the mortal realm).
    They'll have to get used to it, because if the Japanese sub is any indication, they'll be hearing the word 'mortal' roughly 65 times throughout the arc.

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:36 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
    Scsigs wrote:

They'll have to get used to it, because if the Japanese sub is any indication, they'll be hearing the word 'mortal' roughly 65 times throughout the arc.
    Yep.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 am

Trunks and Mai are cozying together watching the stars at the end of BoG
    Mai calls Trunks her boyfriend in the beginning of RoF
    Toei removed all instances of the Trunks/Mai shipping from their remakes of the movies, and that made it awkward when the FT arc script had their shipping as part of the story

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 am

OLKv3 wrote:Trunks and Mai are cozying together watching the stars at the end of BoG
    Toei removed all instances of the Trunks/Mai shipping from their remakes of the movies, and that made it awkward when the FT arc script had their shipping as part of the story
    Huh. Never noticed those in the movies. Guess I'll have to rewatch them then.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 am

Scsigs wrote:
    OLKv3 wrote:Trunks and Mai are cozying together watching the stars at the end of BoG
    Huh. Never noticed those in the movies. Guess I'll have to rewatch them then.
    I'll never understand why Toei made it a point to remove their relationship/shipping. Maybe they didn't like it?