"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 am

Rosé turned out...all right, I guess. He's still got some sort of something going on there, though, and seems inconsistent with how he's using it (though I feel the tone of the voice has been inconsistent from the start of the arc; sometimes he just sounds like an angry Gokuu, other times feels like he's channeling that "poshness" of Zamasu). Based on the video game clips, it's definitely better than what it could have been, but probably would've been best for him to pick one speech style and stick with it throughout, regardless of whether his character has pink hair or not.

Shame on me, I didn't comment yet on Zamasu's performance in episode 55. He's definitely working well for me in those evil scenes, that's for sure. When I first heard his speech at the end of episode 55 in Japanese, that's when I really started to fall for him. The dub is making me fall in love all over again :wink: ♥ Excited for his further descent into darkness, bringing more chilling speeches (also just became curious how they'll treat the scene where he admits that he doesn't care if anyone's listening to his speeches, he just loves to hear himself talk...it's comedy gold even when played completely straight, so hope they don't feel the need to [insert jokes so you can really tell this is a funny scene])
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:For reference, this is what Black and Vegeta say in the sub.
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

I could easily see the translators thinking "Well gee, that doesn't sound like a very good come back to being called the 'opening act' " and making, what they felt, was an appropriate change to a non plot sensitive line.
Oh yes, cause "Crumble into dust" is exactly the same thing as "I'm the star of this show" lol
It doesn't matter if they thought that Vegeta line was "not a very good come back" they should still be faithful to the original script.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:People are still grasping at straws to find reasons to bash the dub I see.
Don't they always? They treat Kai's dub as a dub that was exactly in-line with the Japanese, then say Super should be taking Kai's lead, when Kai's dub had the exact same dub team behind it that Super does & took, arguably, almost as many liberties as Super has thus far, just not even remotely as many as Z's dub did back when they didn't know what they were doing.
I think people hold Kai's dub in high regards because it's such a vast improvement from Z's after a decade of that dub aging poorly, & not being good in the first place, that it created this hype for Super's dub that's causing people to nitpick the hell out of the newer dub, even though that it's translated & scripted just as well as Kai's, if not more because of the groove they've gotten into with scripting the dub. Realistically, it's more the casting & acting choices that are more suspect than the scripts. Any script changes generally don't come from a stupid dub joke or a dumbing down of the source material like Z. It comes from the dub team understanding the material enough to write lines different from the Japanese, but they're only slight tweaks that still make sense. Honestly, people worry about the script for no reason.
People worry about the script because some changes are unnecessary.

What the heck is the point of having Vegeta say "Let's go see Yamcha"? It feels like a disservice to how Vegeta is originally written in the Japanese version.
Exactly. They're going for the memes and leaving how the characters actually act in the dust. People say "As long as it doesn't alter the plot it's fine" but that's ridiculous. We know how these characters are and when they're inconsistent it's distracting and frustrating. Vegeta calling Bulma "babe" is the exact moment I knew something was up (I hadn't watched the dub up until I saw that scene on YouTube and I was like "Funi, I thought you learned").

And yes, the Kai dub did things like this, but it was more specifically the Kai TFC dub which is far less faithful accuracy wise than Kai 1.0. Vegeta saying "lame show" was incredibly stupid, but that's just one example. And for people saying this is nitpicking, would you have been upset had they translated the lines more faithfully? No? Well then we both could've been happy. Instead of just you.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Forte224 wrote:And for people saying this is nitpicking, would you have been upset had they translated the lines more faithfully?
In this case? I would have been apathetic at best due to the nature of the dialogue in question. At worst, I probably would have disliked it if it was "corrected" because the Japanese line came across as a generic non-comeback statement that you'd hear frequently repeated in a fighting game or something.

That's exactly why this particular example comes across as nitpicky -- it's just such an insignificant, short, throwaway line even in the original Japanese script and it wasn't even revised in a way that was especially out-of-character for Vegeta. If even something as inconsequential as this is subject to scathing criticism, what's stopping you from condemning most shonen dubs in general that implement some degree of creative adaptation for English-speaking audiences?

There are some valid criticisms of the dub, but this is just being blown out of proportion at this point.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:And for people saying this is nitpicking, would you have been upset had they translated the lines more faithfully?
In this case? I would have been apathetic at best due to the nature of the dialogue in question. At worst, I probably would have disliked it if it was "corrected" because the Japanese line came across as a generic non-comeback statement that you'd hear frequently repeated in a fighting game or something.

That's exactly why this particular example comes across as nitpicky -- it's just such an insignificant, short, throwaway line even in the original Japanese script and it wasn't even revised in a way that was especially out-of-character for Vegeta. If even something as inconsequential as this is subject to scathing criticism, what's stopping you from condemning most shonen dubs in general that implement some degree of creative adaptation for English-speaking audiences?

There are some valid criticisms of the dub, but this is just being blown out of proportion at this point.
That is totally ridiculous. You're saying if the dub had translated the line accurately in the first place, you woudlve sat back and thought "Man I wish they would've done that differently"? Get real.

It's not accurate, and it's not something Vegeta would say. End of story. And I do criticize most shonen dubs for their "creative adaptation" particularly when there's no reason for it.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Forte224 wrote:That is totally ridiculous. You're saying if the dub had translated the line accurately in the first place, you woudlve sat back and thought "Man I wish they would've done that differently"? Get real.
Wait, you mean in the first place? Obviously in that case it wouldn't have come to my mind because there would have been nothing to compare it to. Your rebuttal here doesn't even make sense.

If you compare the two as they are now, then yes, I do think that the dub's adaptation is quite a bit more entertaining than the original for this small throwaway line even if you don't interpret it as some sort of meta/meme reference. Vegeta always thinks he's the "star of the show", so to emphasize that in response to Black's theatrical analogy makes perfect sense. If anything, I'm surprised he didn't do it in the original script.
Forte224 wrote:and it's not something Vegeta would say.
Why? Because you said so? If anything, I think you're the one being utterly ridiculous because that sounds exactly like something Vegeta would say.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:08 pm

That is main the problem I have the Japanese version of DBS quite a bit of the dialogue is just generic.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:42 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Why? Because you said so? If anything, I think you're the one being utterly ridiculous because that sounds exactly like something Vegeta would say.
Then quote one time in the manga Vegeta made a similar point to the line used on the dub.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That is main the problem I have the Japanese version of DBS quite a bit of the dialogue is just generic.
Like every shounen anime ever.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:03 pm

I'd rather have that generic dialogue over that unnecessary dialogue that the Funimation dub has.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 pm

"Shatter into pieces" is what the sub posted on sites such as crunchyroll states.

"Cumble into dust" is from a fan added subtitle

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Yedis wrote:"Shatter into pieces" is what the sub posted on sites such as crunchyroll states.

"Cumble into dust" is from a fan added subtitle
They're both basically the same thing in spirit, though, just with different terms.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 pm

There are plenty of times this dub has made changes that are much worse, in my opinion. “I’m the star of this damn show” is no harm done. We already saw how determined Vegeta was to be the one to defeat Black. Yeah, it’s not what he said, but it’s also not distracting or damaging in the slightest.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:54 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:Why? Because you said so? If anything, I think you're the one being utterly ridiculous because that sounds exactly like something Vegeta would say.
Then quote one time in the manga Vegeta made a similar point to the line used on the dub.
Well in Neko Majin, Vegeta did say he didn't want to be apart of another gag manga ever again. Also in the Super Anime, he disliked the slump crossover. So in gag instances, he had broke the fourth wall.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 am

God, Schemmel sounds awful. When did he start straining his voice so much? He's trying waaaaay too hard.

Was he always like this? I haven't watched anything dubbed since Battle of Gods, so maybe Nozawa's just driven Schemmel out of my head, but I remember him sounding way better in the past.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:God, Schemmel sounds awful. When did he start straining his voice so much? He's trying waaaaay too hard.

Was he always like this? I haven't watched anything dubbed since Battle of Gods, so maybe Nozawa's just driven Schemmel out of my head, but I remember him sounding way better in the past.

I'm with ya on that. His voice these past few episodes are a little bit annoying to hear after watching Nozawa on the same episodes.

I've always been more of a fan of Schemmel's but right now I'm really digging Nozawa. Let's hope Schemmel's voice is better on the upcoming episodes!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm

I know I'm a week late on this, but here's my opinion on the Rose voice:

The voice is obviously better than the games, but it's still not that great in my opinion. It doesn't sound natural for Sean AT ALL. Like, you can clearly tell he's teetering on the edge with every line. He keeps slipping in and out of the "fancy" accented voice and the standard grovely one he had for base Black. It sounds really forced, which is a shame because his base Black sounded pretty damn incredible. It's definitely a downgrade, even though it's far better than I thought it'd be. Maybe it'll improve over time...?

Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for gods sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 pm

So, watching this episode, Sean's really reigned the accent in. He seems to only really turns it up during Black's more arrogant moments, which I'm completely fine with. Otherwise, it's barely there, which is what I was expecting out of this performance. As long as he keeps it like this, I don't see any problems.

Also, Marsters' performance is still really good.

Edit: Trying to figure out why Sean's voice was so low for Black's Kamehameha.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 pm

Gotta say; I'm surprised we're getting an episode tonight

Usually if Adult Swim has an April fool's prank in mind the entire Toonami block is affected, before and after midnight

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Gotta say; I'm surprised we're getting an episode tonight

Usually if Adult Swim has an April fool's prank in mind the entire Toonami block is affected, before and after midnight
Except April Fool's is tomorrow, not today. Expect something tomorrow.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:Gotta say; I'm surprised we're getting an episode tonight

Except April Fool's is tomorrow, not today. Expect something tomorrow.
They've done it the night before after midnight before