"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:44 pm

"Whis catch me!" Hahaha. That scene made me laugh quite a bit.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:03 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Firebolt wrote:I really wish they would have used "Destroy" instead of "Hakai". I'm sure some younger viewers will be consfused as to what the meaning of it is.

Masters' Zamasu voice is growing on me now. I kinda get why people like him so much.

Also I really didn't enjoy Vegetto in dubbed Kai. His lines and performance made him seen like a really cringy 90's cool kid. I hope FUNimation takes a different approach this time around.
That's why context is a thing. Beerus says Hakai and Zamasu is killed, not really difficult for anyone to piece the puzzle here. It's not like it happened off screen and Beerus said he Hakai'd him that would be different.
I agree with you. I see no problem with what Funimation did.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am

I think the English version is absolutely killing it so far. Specifically Zamasu and Vegeta's voices. Vegeta is the MVP of the series every time he speaks in this. Hit's voice actor was also nailing it. And Sean is killing Black tbh, the "mighty sword" line gave me chills. But Zamasu and Vegeta have the most impactful dailogue thus far. Vegeta's "Let it ignite you." speech to Cabba, masterful. Zamasu is just charming, but evil charming. Like Alucard in a way.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:56 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Zero Mortals Plan is Project Zero Mortals.
Such a pointless change.
It's just a different translation choice. Plan, project, scheme, and other similar ideas are all acceptable ways to interpret "keikaku". They just didn't choose the one that most fans are used to (didn't Viz also use project, or am I remembering wrong?)

The Hakai thing is...sigh...whatever. Made up attack names not being translated is one thing (though even in those cases, honestly, I prefer Viz's approach of trying to make some sense of them, even if I don't always agree with their specific choices). Hakai is just an ordinary Japanese word, so having him say "destroy" would've been just fine and I don't understand the arguments that it would've been awkward. Like, screaming out attack names is already an awkward thing that people don't do in real life; would anyone really be bothered enough to say, "oh, 'destroy' sounds weird, they should've picked something else"? They call him Beerus the Destroyer, so yeah, him saying "destroy" just goes along with his name.

Seeing reactions on the internet to it, I'm clearly in the minority on this, so meh. It's not used much anyway (at least, it doesn't come up again for many episodes...when we get that far in the dub, I'm sure this'll trigger me again :P )

This episode was also the debut of the love shack hideout. With Zamasu sounding bored and Black being inconsistent in his tone and accent, can't say I'm too into the English dynamic between these two yet. I'm just waiting to see how 61 turns out :wink:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:07 am

Jason Douglas commented on the use of Hakai. https://twitter.com/MrJasonDouglas/stat ... 5794395139

Basically, it's iconic, carries a certain weight and just sounds cool. Can't argue with any of that.

Let's be honest, "hakai" in the context it's best known for in the series IS an attack name. You can't look at Toppo throwing his "hakai" balls around in the next arc and not see that. And while the English dub has always been inconsistent as to what gets translated, hakai at this point is iconic enough that they almost had to use it. At least this is better than that one Xenoverse 2 line where he says "I'll hakai you." So long as it's kept as a noun and not a verb, I'd say it's fine.

As for "Project Zero Mortals", I'm 99% certain that's lip flaps. Whenever you get a change that seems pointless in a dub, chances are it's because of that. And that isn't pointless, that's actually very important because making sure the characters words fit their mouth movement is a higher priority than making it fit the original subtitles.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:48 am

Kataphrut wrote:Jason Douglas commented on the use of Hakai. https://twitter.com/MrJasonDouglas/stat ... 5794395139

Basically, it's iconic, carries a certain weight and just sounds cool. Can't argue with any of that.

Let's be honest, "hakai" in the context it's best known for in the series IS an attack name. You can't look at Toppo throwing his "hakai" balls around in the next arc and not see that. And while the English dub has always been inconsistent as to what gets translated, hakai at this point is iconic enough that they almost had to use it. At least this is better than that one Xenoverse 2 line where he says "I'll hakai you." So long as it's kept as a noun and not a verb, I'd say it's fine.

As for "Project Zero Mortals", I'm 99% certain that's lip flaps. Whenever you get a change that seems pointless in a dub, chances are it's because of that. And that isn't pointless, that's actually very important because making sure the characters words fit their mouth movement is a higher priority than making it fit the original subtitles.
It also sounds way better that way in English, "Zero Mortals Plan" sounds too clunky.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:01 am

ernesth100 wrote:I think the English version is absolutely killing it so far. Specifically Zamasu and Vegeta's voices. Vegeta is the MVP of the series every time he speaks in this. Hit's voice actor was also nailing it. And Sean is killing Black tbh, the "mighty sword" line gave me chills. But Zamasu and Vegeta have the most impactful dailogue thus far. Vegeta's "Let it ignite you." speech to Cabba, masterful. Zamasu is just charming, but evil charming. Like Alucard in a way.
Yea idk if it's because they try to simplify things while translating but the dialogue in the dub is miles better. Like it's not close

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Right. When it comes to subtitles, translation is part factual, part creative interpretation. A good example of this would be comparing the subtitled versions of the first three DBZ movies as found on the Pioneer/Ocean DVDs VS the FUNimation DVDs. On both sets of DVDs, the subtitled versions are competent and accurate. However, Steve Simmons made creative decisions like using the word "ain't," and dropping the "g" in the "ing"'s of Goku's dialogue, in order to give a rough equivalent of how he would come across if he was speaking his lines in English. Similar deal with dub scripts, except that they also have the added problem of lip flaps to look after.

So, there are some changes that bother me, but "Project Zero Mortals" isn't one of them. It's not like they completely changed the name, it just makes a little more sense to say it that way in English. It's vaguely similar to how, in the original Japanese version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, the pilots of the Evas were called the "First(/Second/Third) Children." Like, "She is the First Children." It made all the sense in the world for the dub to change it to, "First Child."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:43 am

Scsigs wrote:
Exline wrote:Don't wanna be rude, but is anyone dissatisfied with Goku's English VA? I think he does well voicing Goku Black, but his voice acting for Goku just sounds so unbearable. Sean Schemmel imo is really trying too hard to pull off that goofy side of Goku that Masako captures, but he doesn't really do it well at all. He sounds so annoying and cringy.

I'm fine with everyone else's voice acting like Sabat's and the guys who voice Zamasu and Gowasu. But Schemmel, I just feel that he's become worse at it or maybe his recordings are rusehd, like the script. The script is also boring for most of the cast. Goku's especially. Does anyone else feel this way about his actor? Or is it just me? It really hinders my enjoyment of the dub.
I mean, this isn't my prefered voice acting for Sean as Goku, but I think he's trying to go more with the comedy by having his voice for him be a bit higher in pitch so that when Goku gets serious or something, you feel it. Personally, I think it works decently, but I do prefer when he just talks normally as Goku. He's had this since Kai TFC (I don't like to say Res F because that dub was recorded after TFC. I just thought that this was a natural evolution for him, since that's how real life voices tend to work in different situations, which is what helps us determine other people's emotions. He does seem like he tries a little too hard, but I don't think it's that bad. I get if you hate it, though.
Buu Kai was recorded before Resurrection ‘F’. That was dub was literally done for years.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:41 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Exline wrote:Don't wanna be rude, but is anyone dissatisfied with Goku's English VA? I think he does well voicing Goku Black, but his voice acting for Goku just sounds so unbearable. Sean Schemmel imo is really trying too hard to pull off that goofy side of Goku that Masako captures, but he doesn't really do it well at all. He sounds so annoying and cringy.

I'm fine with everyone else's voice acting like Sabat's and the guys who voice Zamasu and Gowasu. But Schemmel, I just feel that he's become worse at it or maybe his recordings are rusehd, like the script. The script is also boring for most of the cast. Goku's especially. Does anyone else feel this way about his actor? Or is it just me? It really hinders my enjoyment of the dub.
I mean, this isn't my prefered voice acting for Sean as Goku, but I think he's trying to go more with the comedy by having his voice for him be a bit higher in pitch so that when Goku gets serious or something, you feel it. Personally, I think it works decently, but I do prefer when he just talks normally as Goku. He's had this since Kai TFC (I don't like to say Res F because that dub was recorded after TFC. I just thought that this was a natural evolution for him, since that's how real life voices tend to work in different situations, which is what helps us determine other people's emotions. He does seem like he tries a little too hard, but I don't think it's that bad. I get if you hate it, though.
Buu Kai was recorded before Resurrection ‘F’. That was dub was literally done for years.
Unless I'm missing something, he did acknowledge that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:33 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Right. When it comes to subtitles, translation is part factual, part creative interpretation. A good example of this would be comparing the subtitled versions of the first three DBZ movies as found on the Pioneer/Ocean DVDs VS the FUNimation DVDs. On both sets of DVDs, the subtitled versions are competent and accurate. However, Steve Simmons made creative decisions like using the word "ain't," and dropping the "g" in the "ing"'s of Goku's dialogue, in order to give a rough equivalent of how he would come across if he was speaking his lines in English. Similar deal with dub scripts, except that they also have the added problem of lip flaps to look after.

So, there are some changes that bother me, but "Project Zero Mortals" isn't one of them. It's not like they completely changed the name, it just makes a little more sense to say it that way in English. It's vaguely similar to how, in the original Japanese version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, the pilots of the Evas were called the "First(/Second/Third) Children." Like, "She is the First Children." It made all the sense in the world for the dub to change it to, "First Child."
You know that is one of the reasons I tend to only watch anime dubbed. With subbed you are basically at the sword of the subtitles, if something is inaccurate one won't know unless they understand Japanese to me that is no different to watching something dubbed, the subtitles like you said have to be adapted too I remember Ajay on twitter being annoyed Simmons didn't adapt a joke King Kai made in DBS meanwhile compared to Dragon Team who did. More recently in the Toei subs Vegeta called Jiren a faceless mask or something but Herms said something different was said in Japanese where Vegeta gave the specific name of the mask, Toei adapted that line for westerners to get a better grasp of what is being said.

I also think along the way people have forgotten the dub or dubs in general are meant to be adapted for western audiences, they gotta make sure people understand what is being said, make sure it flows well in English and add their own flair to it, people get way to pent up over any slight change. BZ dub is the best example as it just sounds incredibly clunky thanks to poor scripting thus also hindering the actors we know the BZ dub had some incredible talent but barely any of them could show it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 am

Project Zero Mortals sounds a bit sci-fi-ish to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Right. When it comes to subtitles, translation is part factual, part creative interpretation. A good example of this would be comparing the subtitled versions of the first three DBZ movies as found on the Pioneer/Ocean DVDs VS the FUNimation DVDs. On both sets of DVDs, the subtitled versions are competent and accurate. However, Steve Simmons made creative decisions like using the word "ain't," and dropping the "g" in the "ing"'s of Goku's dialogue, in order to give a rough equivalent of how he would come across if he was speaking his lines in English. Similar deal with dub scripts, except that they also have the added problem of lip flaps to look after.

You know that is one of the reasons I tend to only watch anime dubbed. With subbed you are basically at the sword of the subtitles, if something is inaccurate one won't know unless they understand Japanese to me that is no different to watching something dubbed, the subtitles like you said have to be adapted too I remember Ajay on twitter being annoyed Simmons didn't adapt a joke King Kai made in DBS meanwhile compared to Dragon Team who did. More recently in the Toei subs Vegeta called Jiren a faceless mask or something but Herms said something different was said in Japanese where Vegeta gave the specific name of the mask, Toei adapted that line for westerners to get a better grasp of what is being said.

I also think along the way people have forgotten the dub or dubs in general are meant to be adapted for western audiences, they gotta make sure people understand what is being said, make sure it flows well in English and add their own flair to it, people get way to pent up over any slight change. BZ dub is the best example as it just sounds incredibly clunky thanks to poor scripting thus also hindering the actors we know the BZ dub had some incredible talent but barely any of them could show it.
You nailed why I generally prefer to watch anime dubbed, as well. I'm not anti-subs by any means, I'll still check out the subbed version of shows with a dub that I like (and in some cases, where the dub is just atrociously produced, acted, and written, I'm not above forgoing the dub entirely). The ideal way to watch an anime, I guess, is to actually be fluent enough in Japanese that one doesn't need subtitles. Since I'm not at that point, I generally prefer a dub. Whether the dub is good or bad, at least I can tell that it's good or bad because it's my own language, and hence, none of the subtle touches are lost on me.

While I won't comment on which performances--in either the BZ or FUNimation dub--that I don't like, I will say that you're also right that some adaptation is required in order for the dub to be enjoyable. I once read a review of the Inu-Yasha dub by a native Japanese speaker, who said that, "While it is true that some dubs are bad because too much is changed, sometimes dubs are bad because not enough is changed." The idea being that, if a dub script is...I don't want to say "too loyal," because that's not what I mean, but too literal...then it forces the actor to deliver their lines in awkward, unpleasant-sounding ways in order to fit the lip flaps. Bad script adaptations can sink what would otherwise be a good performance. Same deal with bad directing.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:12 pm

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I mean, this isn't my prefered voice acting for Sean as Goku, but I think he's trying to go more with the comedy by having his voice for him be a bit higher in pitch so that when Goku gets serious or something, you feel it. Personally, I think it works decently, but I do prefer when he just talks normally as Goku. He's had this since Kai TFC (I don't like to say Res F because that dub was recorded after TFC.) I just thought that this was a natural evolution for him, since that's how real life voices tend to work in different situations, which is what helps us determine other people's emotions. He does seem like he tries a little too hard, but I don't think it's that bad. I get if you hate it, though.
That's exactly what I typed.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 pm

I guess whatever issues Funimation was having getting episodes to Adult Swim ahead of time have resolved
First time in a while we got the next episode preview the same night

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm

The scenes taken when the co. go into the future look, smooth, regarding the art. Rather outlined and stuff.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 pm

They kept [spoiler]the line about Goku never kissing Chichi[/spoiler] and TV Tropes when uterly bonkers.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:00 am

How was Ending 6 handled?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:They kept [spoiler]the line about Goku never kissing Chichi[/spoiler] and TV Tropes when uterly bonkers.
That line still makes no sense no matter the dub.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:06 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:How was Ending 6 handled?
It was alright other than the fact that they shortened it way too much imo. Here it is though https://youtu.be/p91yzbuTuHw