"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 am

They sound great! The Xenoverse 2 Dub Voice Testing Laboratory has yielded positive results.

Also, you can tell Caulifla's voice actor is perfect for the role because she sells being excited about Super Saiyan Blue. That's dedicated radio shilling.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OYsGW ... outu.be&a= Here's more of them. Kale wants Super Saiyan Rose. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:41 am

I'm more in love with Caulifla and Kale now then I was before. Their English dubbed voices are on fucking point.
BlueBasilisk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OYsGW ... outu.be&a= Here's more of them. Kale wants Super Saiyan Rose. :lol:
"Pink's the best! It's strong AND cute!"

Goku Black be watching this on GodTube be like...

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

Huh... Now I'm thinking Caulifla might be Luci Christian (Nami in One Piece, Uraraka in MHA, Wrath in FMA '03). It's a deeper voice than she usually does, though. Not sure on Kale yet, but I don't think it's Stephanie Sheh.

Edit: That said, I'm not super confident. I may be WAAAY off here.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:09 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OYsGW ... outu.be&a= Here's more of them. Kale wants Super Saiyan Rose. :lol:
I am team Caulifla all the way on this debate!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 am

Cursemark505 wrote:The opening is trash. Why do they keep dubbing the songs? All of the dubbed songs sound awful. Why can't they just leave them be? They don't do this with any other series.
Well, those words are all kinds of wrong.

Also, Kale sounds like Stephanie Sheh.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Thank you Funimation for pronouncing "Caulifla" correctly, you know like actually pronouncing it like the vegetable it's based off of. Hopefully this will finally, finally put the "Cuh-LEE-Fluh" pronunciation, like Wiz Khalifa, to bed.
Caulifla best girl! :)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:38 pm

The only thing I have to say about that video is that I saw at least a few comments saying that Baby sounds like Mark Hamill’s Joker, which is a comparison that never even crossed my mind before.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The only thing I have to say about that video is that I saw at least a few comments saying that Baby sounds like Mark Hamill’s Joker, which is a comparison that never even crossed my mind before.
That's what I thought as well. It sounds like when Joker takes over the PA in Arkham Asylum.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:The opening is trash. Why do they keep dubbing the songs? All of the dubbed songs sound awful. Why can't they just leave them be? They don't do this with any other series.
Oh really now. Never watched "Show By Rock" I take it either? Also when characters sing, it's odd if they suddenly change languages so that's why dubbing songs happens. After all, when 20 years ago when Lion Ou was playing in Japan, it might've been odd for Simba-kun to be speaking Japanese, then his voice changes and starts, "I'm gonna be a mighty king...".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:27 am

Sabat tweeted Elizabeth Maxwell is Cauli and Dawn Bennett is Kale!

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 am

My brother correctly guessed Elizabeth Maxwell based on a character she played in some Rooster Teeth show. I know her best as Sae from Persona 5, so there’s no way in hell I’d have pegged her as Caulifla.

Don’t know Dawn from anything, but I checked her IMDB page and it’s a laundry list of Funimation, Rooster Teeth and other Texas based shows, as expected. Either way, she sounds great as Kale and I’m glad we got some spot on sounding actors for these two.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 am

Yep, I was waaaaaay off on my guesses, haha. Still, the casting is pretty spectacular so I'm not complaining!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:Huh... Now I'm thinking Caulifla might be Luci Christian (Nami in One Piece, Uraraka in MHA, Wrath in FMA '03). It's a deeper voice than she usually does, though. Not sure on Kale yet, but I don't think it's Stephanie Sheh.
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one thinking it might've been Luci for Caulifla. It sounded just enough like her, but her doing a voice that removes that...Luci Christian-ish quality that a lot of her roles have, closer to like Psiren in the first FMA. Wasn't thinking Sheh for Kale though, my money had been on Alexis Tipton.

So as it turns out, I was entirely wrong on both counts. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Looks like Funimation's started announcing cast members for the upcoming arc on Twitter. We've got Greg Dulcie as Sidra, Derick Snow as Ro, Jeff Plunk as Basil, Chris Guerrero as Lavender and Marcus Stimac as Bergamo. Looks like the goal is to have Universe team cards showing the cast for all the teams, including the gods.

Chris Guerrero has actually done work for Team Four Star before, he's their Gero, Cooler and Maxwell from Hellsing Ultimate. Cool to have him in a role in the official dub.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Looks like Funimation's started announcing cast members for the upcoming arc on Twitter. We've got Greg Dulcie as Sidra, Derick Snow as Ro, Jeff Plunk as Basil, Chris Guerrero as Lavender and Marcus Stimac as Bergamo. Looks like the goal is to have Universe team cards showing the cast for all the teams, including the gods.

Chris Guerrero has actually done work for Team Four Star before, he's their Gero, Cooler and Maxwell from Hellsing Ultimate. Cool to have him in a role in the official dub.
I'm happy that someone from TFS officially got to be in the dub without troubles.

Infact, this is the only dub on the planet to now have GeneralIvan, Brian Drummond, "David Gray" and Matthew Mercer in the same show.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:07 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Looks like Funimation's started announcing cast members for the upcoming arc on Twitter. We've got Greg Dulcie as Sidra, Derick Snow as Ro, Jeff Plunk as Basil, Chris Guerrero as Lavender and Marcus Stimac as Bergamo. Looks like the goal is to have Universe team cards showing the cast for all the teams, including the gods.

I'm happy that someone from TFS officially got to be in the dub without troubles.

Infact, this is the only dub on the planet to now have GeneralIvan, Brian Drummond, "David Gray" and Matthew Mercer in the same show.
It's not his first role with Funimation. He was also Ichiya and Nichiya in Fairy Tail, and Gecko Moria of the Seven Warlords of the Sea.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:09 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:

That's an oddly specific collection of actors there.

Chris Guerrero is one of those actors that gained recognition through TFS but has since gone on to be part of the regular Texas talent pool, so him landing a role isn't surprising. I expect we'll probably also see Amber Lee Connors, Howard Wang, and Justin Briner as well. It's a big arc with a lot of characters, plenty of spots to fill.

Only ones from TFS who might be difficult are the ones that were involved in The Scene From Kai That Doesn't Exist. So as cool as it would be, I wouldn't get my hopes *too* high for Lanipator as a Universe 6 Namekian.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:

Chris Guerrero is one of those actors that gained recognition through TFS but has since gone on to be part of the regular Texas talent pool, so him landing a role isn't surprising. I expect we'll probably also see Amber Lee Connors, Howard Wang, and Justin Briner as well. It's a big arc with a lot of characters, plenty of spots to fill.

Only ones from TFS who might be difficult are the ones that were involved in The Scene From Kai That Doesn't Exist. So as cool as it would be, I wouldn't get my hopes *too* high for Lanipator as a Universe 6 Namekian.
Justin Briner was in the dub. But as Kid Vegeta.

Sink that in that Midoriya voiced All Might as a Kid.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:39 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote: I'm happy that someone from TFS officially got to be in the dub without troubles.

Justin Briner was in the dub. But as Kid Vegeta.

Sink that in that Midoriya voiced All Might as a Kid.
When did Briner voice Vegeta as a kid? I'm pretty sure he was voiced by Laura Bailey as a kid most recently in Kai.

Edit: Never mind. Checked DB wiki & looked up a clip. Been a while since I've seen that episode.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs