"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jaden » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:50 pm

The Null Realm? Seriously? Couldn't they just stick to World of Void? They will always find something to change, that's for sure...
Anyways Roh's voice sounds very familiar to me. I just can't remember where I've heard it before.
Anyone know who Roh's VA is?

On a side note, next episode will finally have Toppo, Khai and Belmod speak. Now, will they go with Top or Toppo? Belmod, Vermod, Vermouth? :think:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 am

Jaden wrote:The Null Realm? Seriously? Couldn't they just stick to World of Void? They will always find something to change, that's for sure...
Anyways Roh's voice sounds very familiar to me. I just can't remember where I've heard it before.
Anyone know who Roh's VA is?

On a side note, next episode will finally have Toppo, Khai and Belmod speak. Now, will they go with Top or Toppo? Belmod, Vermod, Vermouth? :think:
World of Void sounds WAY too literal a translation of the Japanese wording, so I'm all for tweaking it. You may think it's too far, but I think it's fine. If you want a dub like early Naruto, where there's really weirdly translated, but extremely accurate, lines, good for you, but I'd rather a dub that actually takes the time to make things sound comfortable in English. Super's dub only changes wordings to make them sound more comfortable to an English-speaking audience & this is just par for the course. Personally, I think "Null Void" would've worked better, but I don't think they would've been able to use that, since it's been used for over a decade in Ben 10.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:21 am

Funimations casting has been superb in my opinion. Love all the new voices that debuted in 78. In my mind they haven't put a foot wrong with how a characters voice sounds. You could argue the liberty taken with lines and some of the translations have been a bit off, but not once have I been like, nope that voices isn't working for me.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am

Jaden wrote:The Null Realm? Seriously? Couldn't they just stick to World of Void? They will always find something to change, that's for sure...
But that really isn't a change, just a different way of saying the same thing. It's not like they changed the name to "Cotton Candy World" or something. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they got "Null Realm" from Simmons (though we can't be sure until the BD set with this episode comes out). Translation isn't an exact science, after all, and there are many different ways a translator might choose to translate a term depending on what they think will best preserve the meaning.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:34 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Guys, we have a new voice announcement. And it's of a very familiar face, or voice, whatever. This person originally voiced a certain popular character in a certain video game, but then that character got recasted in the anime, and it was said by Chris Sabat, that we would hear this guy's voice again sometime soon, we just didn't know when. But now, he just announced on Twitter that he will be returning to the anime as the voice of Khai, the Universe 11 Kaioshin. So guess who's back? Our old friend, Aaron Roberts!

https://twitter.com/AaronRobertsYes/sta ... 30112?s=19
Ahh. Interesting they spelt it Cae was left so confused when the credits came on! Guess that answers people's question from wayback when people were wondering what FUNi would do with a Kai named Kai.
nato25 wrote:Funimations casting has been superb in my opinion. Love all the new voices that debuted in 78. In my mind they haven't put a foot wrong with how a characters voice sounds. You could argue the liberty taken with lines and some of the translations have been a bit off, but not once have I been like, nope that voices isn't working for me.
Definitely agree, castings have been on par and in some rare cases, such as Copy Vegeta, better than the Japanese!

I know some fans still dislike Martin's Fat Buu but I love it, so perfect in episodes like these. Rager of course always A+, hearing Herbert's Gohan again is great no disrespect to Nozawa but I found her adult Gohan in DBS not great and I am sure the Goku vs Gohan fight coming up will be infinitely better in the dub. Of course the big one getting to hear Huber as #17 again soon! (I did find the Japanese VA for #17 to be very good, he and Kusao as Future Trunks really surprised me how great they were).

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, how were the new voices?
Mostly meh, but I appreciate the effort.
Jaden wrote:The Null Realm? Seriously?
Hey, at least is not the Shadow Realm :D but yea still dumb tho
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Noah wrote:
Meh, if that was the name they'd have to call the GodPad the Millenium Tablet :lol:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Noah wrote:
Meh, if that was the name they'd have to call the GodPad the Millenium Tablet :lol:
Haha that made me laugh. I feel they will stick to GodPad for that one. Null Realm is a bit strange I admit, I think The World of Void of the Void World could have worked better but it's nothing to me really.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 pm

https://youtu.be/eHsixJScw_c?t=187

Was Champa's voice even heard in the Japanese here?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Heads up guys, starting 9/29, Super is moving to 11:00 because Toonami is expanding to 9:00 and moving things around. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8039583372

Also Kai is returning, but it's not clear if it's from the beginning or the Final Chapters.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:01 am

Was Toppo's Funimation voice actor revealed yet? I believe that Andy Chandler who played the role of Bakken from "Yu Yu Hakusho" is a nice option.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 pm

So apparently, the rerun for Kai is from the Saiyan Saga, just fyi.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 am

Green_Goblin wrote:Was Toppo's Funimation voice actor revealed yet? I believe that Andy Chandler who played the role of Bakken from "Yu Yu Hakusho" is a nice option.
No

But I'm at a convention with Sabat tomorrow, so I'll ask him if we can expect more pre-air casting announcements

In other news, are we still 100% certain that James Marsters voiced Zamasu?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:48 am

shadowmaria wrote: In other news, are we still 100% certain that James Marsters voiced Zamasu?
What makes you think he isn't Zamasu?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:Was Toppo's Funimation voice actor revealed yet? I believe that Andy Chandler who played the role of Bakken from "Yu Yu Hakusho" is a nice option.
No

But I'm at a convention with Sabat tomorrow, so I'll ask him if we can expect more pre-air casting announcements

I don’t think there’s much of a question over that at this point. If you go over to Behind the Voice Actors.com and listen to his Lex Luthor voice from DC Universe Online, you’ll notice that it sounds identical to Zamasu’s English voice.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
No

I don’t think there’s much of a question over that at this point. If you go over to Behind the Voice Actors.com and listen to his Lex Luthor voice from DC Universe Online, you’ll notice that it sounds identical to Zamasu’s English voice.
Not just that either, his audio book narrations also have him sounding like that as well.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm

You know, I hope when Episode 83 comes out, they can finally get Bra's name right, and finally put "Bulla" to bed. I mean if they're going to be saying the bad "b" word every 5 or so episodes, I don't see any problem with them naming a character after an undergarment that holds boobs.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know, I hope when Episode 83 comes out, they can finally get Bra's name right, and finally put "Bulla" to bed. I mean if they're going to be saying the bad "b" word every 5 or so episodes, I don't see any problem with them naming a character after an undergarment that holds boobs.
Sorry to disappoint you but even in the original they called her Bulla

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Trio de Dangers is now "Trio of Danger."

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 pm

mint0h wrote:Trio de Dangers is now "Trio of Danger."
Just heard it Myself, I prefer "De" Danger cause it gave theme a More Unique taste and theme to their name, French Like, flowed better too. "Of " is alright, but not as good as "De".
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker