"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Tian wrote:
shadowmaria wrote: In other news, are we still 100% certain that James Marsters voiced Zamasu?
What makes you think he isn't Zamasu?
Because strictly speaking, we've never been told it IS Marsters and nobody has (to my knowledge) flat-out asked him and/or Sabat and gauged their reactions on a psychological and body language basis.
WittyUsername wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:Was Toppo's Funimation voice actor revealed yet? I believe that Andy Chandler who played the role of Bakken from "Yu Yu Hakusho" is a nice option.
No

But I'm at a convention with Sabat tomorrow, so I'll ask him if we can expect more pre-air casting announcements

In other news, are we still 100% certain that James Marsters voiced Zamasu?

I don’t think there’s much of a question over that at this point. If you go over to Behind the Voice Actors.com and listen to his Lex Luthor voice from DC Universe Online, you’ll notice that it sounds identical to Zamasu’s English voice.
For those curious; the questions asked were pre-picked from Social Media and it was all the usual ones asked instead of more interesting questions. "Who would win between Vegeta and All Might? How do you be a Voice Actor?", and so forth.
Scsigs wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
No

But I'm at a convention with Sabat tomorrow, so I'll ask him if we can expect more pre-air casting announcements

In other news, are we still 100% certain that James Marsters voiced Zamasu?
I don’t think there’s much of a question over that at this point. If you go over to Behind the Voice Actors.com and listen to his Lex Luthor voice from DC Universe Online, you’ll notice that it sounds identical to Zamasu’s English voice.
Not just that either, his audio book narrations also have him sounding like that as well.
These are voice actors. See my first response in this post for what I said regarding this.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 am

shadd21 wrote:https://youtu.be/6LrONzfcqJw

I think I like Lavender’s dub voice more than his original..
All the dogs are pretty good! They're nailing the laughs so much.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 am

This might lowkey be one of my favourite episodes of Super. How great is it to see former powerhouse Majin Buu who smashed around our heroes like nothing be on our side fighting at full power.

That being said in terms of dub I think for the most part it was great but it probably had one of my first dub line changes that really annoyed me. Gohan says to Goku in the dub he's never been stronger. I'm like, this is before he even does all the training so that has to be wrong. I go check the subs on animelab (australian version of crunchyroll) and indeed this was a rather major change. In the sub Gohan just says something like check out how strong I am now. A much better line considering there is no way this weakened Gohan is stronger than in the Buu saga and the upcoming episode is only going to make him look ridiculously foolish when SSJ is the best he can muster.

Also Top over Toppo is just a dumb translation. I don't speak Japanese but is this kind of like how they could have gone with Zamas over Zamasu because the last syllable is more of a Japanese only thing?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Recent Kanzenshuu podcast goes into the Toppo/Top thing. Very very interesting. Herms basically says it's like Viz using Vegerot for Vegetto in making the pun obvious for English speakers.

But I don't think the "Top" pun is that more obvious anyway (how many people are gonna guess that Top is supposed to be Pot rearranged?) so I think they should have just stuck with "Toppo".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:22 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
Because strictly speaking, we've never been told it IS Marsters and nobody has (to my knowledge) flat-out asked him and/or Sabat and gauged their reactions on a psychological and body language basis.
For those curious; the questions asked were pre-picked from Social Media and it was all the usual ones asked instead of more interesting questions. "Who would win between Vegeta and All Might? How do you be a Voice Actor?", and so forth.
These are voice actors. See my first response in this post for what I said regarding this.
I don't see why these being voice actors discounts audio book narrations. It takes the same talents at the end of the day. It's, basically, the same job.
In terms of having proof, no one's asked them, but there ARE big clues. One being Marsters talking to Sabat about having a role in Super. Another being how there's no actor actually credited under the name "David Gray." Then there's the crediting of "Sam Magesters," which is a bigger clue. Why he couldn't use his real name for the game, I don't know, but it's an anagram of his name, just drop one of the "r's". There's also Sean saying that the guy that they got to be Zamasu's voice actor is really cool at a convention when he explained how they tweaked his Black voice for the anime. And, I know this probably isn't the greatest source, but Wikipedia has basically dropped all pretense of hiding who voices Zamasu in the English dub of the series. Other people who know behind the scenes info like Geekdom101 also have dropped all pretense of it, so it's basically accepted as fact by now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
I don't see why these being voice actors discounts audio book narrations. It takes the same talents at the end of the day. It's, basically, the same job.
In terms of having proof, no one's asked them, but there ARE big clues. One being Marsters talking to Sabat about having a role in Super. Another being how there's no actor actually credited under the name "David Gray." Then there's the crediting of "Sam Magesters," which is a bigger clue. Why he couldn't use his real name for the game, I don't know, but it's an anagram of his name, just drop one of the "r's". There's also Sean saying that the guy that they got to be Zamasu's voice actor is really cool at a convention when he explained how they tweaked his Black voice for the anime. And, I know this probably isn't the greatest source, but Wikipedia has basically dropped all pretense of hiding who voices Zamasu in the English dub of the series. Other people who know behind the scenes info like Geekdom101 also have dropped all pretense of it, so it's basically accepted as fact by now.
I'm simply undertaking a conversation, but I'd be curious to see how those involved in production would react to the question.

Regarding the bolded: :lol: Geekdom101 does not have 'insider information', as it were. :lol: He simply does his research :lol: :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 pm

shadowmaria wrote:I'm simply undertaking a conversation, but I'd be curious to see how those involved in production would react to the question.

Regarding the bolded: :lol: Geekdom101 does not have 'insider information', as it were. :lol: He simply does his research :lol: :lol:
Yeah, he does his research, but he does have friends at some of the dubbing companies as well.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Didn’t Chris Sabat also suggest that the person who plays Zamasu is a fairly big deal? James Marsters isn’t exactly an A-list actor in Hollywood, but he would definitely qualify as being “big” in comparison to most of the other actors FUNimation works with (though they did get Peter Mayhew for their dub of the GT special, which was pretty cool).

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Didn’t Chris Sabat also suggest that the person who plays Zamasu is a fairly big deal? James Marsters isn’t exactly an A-list actor in Hollywood, but he would definitely qualify as being “big” in comparison to most of the other actors FUNimation works with (though they did get Peter Mayhew for their dub of the GT special, which was pretty cool).
Yeah, that's what Sabat said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcA5t2G4D-Q
Ian Sinclair backed him up.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
mint0h wrote:Trio de Dangers is now "Trio of Danger."
Just heard it Myself, I prefer "De" Danger cause it gave theme a More Unique taste and theme to their name, French Like, flowed better too. "Of " is alright, but not as good as "De".
Also Spanish, no? :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Noah wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
mint0h wrote:Trio de Dangers is now "Trio of Danger."
Just heard it Myself, I prefer "De" Danger cause it gave theme a More Unique taste and theme to their name, French Like, flowed better too. "Of " is alright, but not as good as "De".
Also Spanish, no? :think:
Most of the romance languages, I believe.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 am

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:I'm simply undertaking a conversation, but I'd be curious to see how those involved in production would react to the question.

Yeah, he does his research, but he does have friends at some of the dubbing companies as well.
And none of those friends should be leaking information under their contract's and NDA's because they could be sued

Source: I've been a performer for over 20 years; I know how NDA's and contract's work :wink:

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 am

WittyUsername wrote:though they did get Peter Mayhew for their dub of the GT special, which was pretty cool.
This just blew my mind. I'd never noticed that before

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:08 am

I don’t like their recent decisions at all. They changed Grand Priest to Grand Minister, and while that is a cool name, i doubt english dub fans are suddenly going to call him Grand Minister now over Grand Priest. We’ve gotten too used to it. You don’t change something so big and something that people are so used to. Though in this case, i don’t really mind. What i’m more upset about is changing Toppo to Top. Like, Wtf!? Top does not sound good at all! Top sounds so incomplete and unfinished, it’s like, once you say the word “Top” you automatically want to finish it by saying Toppo. Bad choice!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:53 am

As I've said time and time again, changes like 'Grand Minister', 'Null Realm' and 'Zen Expo' are almost certainly done to better match up with lip flaps. Toppo to 'Top' is going to be harder to take, but it's keeping in consistency with not using 'Kakarotto' or 'Hitto'. It feels weird now because the fanbase has gotten so used to the original sub terms, but ultimately it's no different to what the older generation dealt with things like 'Tien' 'King Kai' and 'Destructo Disc' all those years ago. Watch out for when 'Ultra Instinct' gets changed to something different, then we'll really be in for it.

On an unrelated note, it was nice of Funimation to reanimate the corpse of Peter Lorre and get him on the show. His voice is a natural fit for Lavender.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 am

Kataphrut wrote:but it's keeping in consistency with not using 'Kakarotto' or 'Hitto'.
We specifically address how it's not equivalent to those changes in our most recent podcast episode (name discussion begins exactly at the three-minute mark).

Long story short, the "o" vowel sound is used as the dropped-vowel in approximating foreign consonant endings, except in the case of "p-" and "d-" sounds, where the "u" vowel sound is used as the dropped-vowel. Listen in for additional context, comparisons, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Oniman
Banned

Post by Oniman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

I wish they got someone like David Hayter to voice a character in Super.
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am

Kataphrut wrote:As I've said time and time again, changes like 'Grand Minister', 'Null Realm' and 'Zen Expo' are almost certainly done to better match up with lip flaps. Toppo to 'Top' is going to be harder to take, but it's keeping in consistency with not using 'Kakarotto' or 'Hitto'. It feels weird now because the fanbase has gotten so used to the original sub terms, but ultimately it's no different to what the older generation dealt with things like 'Tien' 'King Kai' and 'Destructo Disc' all those years ago. Watch out for when 'Ultra Instinct' gets changed to something different, then we'll really be in for it.

On an unrelated note, it was nice of Funimation to reanimate the corpse of Peter Lorre and get him on the show. His voice is a natural fit for Lavender.
I doubt UI will be changed, transformations don't get those kinds of alterations.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:I don’t like their recent decisions at all. They changed Grand Priest to Grand Minister, and while that is a cool name, i doubt english dub fans are suddenly going to call him Grand Minister now over Grand Priest. We’ve gotten too used to it. You don’t change something so big and something that people are so used to. Though in this case, i don’t really mind. What i’m more upset about is changing Toppo to Top. Like, Wtf!? Top does not sound good at all! Top sounds so incomplete and unfinished, it’s like, once you say the word “Top” you automatically want to finish it by saying Toppo. Bad choice!
Remember; we're not the target audience. And neither are folks who've already watched the entire thing subbed on Crunchyroll. Rather, FUNimation is (by necessity) going to appeal to the other 90% of casual fans; the sort who are finding all of this completely brand new.

They're not going to be "used" to anything one way or the other.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:but it's keeping in consistency with not using 'Kakarotto' or 'Hitto'.
We specifically address how it's not equivalent to those changes in our most recent podcast episode (name discussion begins exactly at the three-minute mark).

Long story short, the "o" vowel sound is used as the dropped-vowel in approximating foreign consonant endings, except in the case of "p-" and "d-" sounds, where the "u" vowel sound is used as the dropped-vowel. Listen in for additional context, comparisons, etc.
Fun fact, I was just in the middle of listening to it when you replied to me.

Fair dos, I'll admit I was generalising with the above comment. It was a good listen.