"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jaden » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Is there any chance Chris Ayres will be dubbing Frieza in the ToP arc? Or only in the upcoming movie?
I remember reading somewhere that Daman Mills will replace Ayres in ToP but I'm not sure if that's true

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Man, I wanted Scott McNeil to play Quintela so badly. Well, at least I hope they get him to play one of those two Universe 6 Namekians.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Justin Briner is Kuru, the U4 Supreme Kai. Who I'm sure has maybe four lines in the whole thing, seems like a waste.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 pm

Jaden wrote:Is there any chance Chris Ayres will be dubbing Frieza in the ToP arc? Or only in the upcoming movie?
I remember reading somewhere that Daman Mills will replace Ayres in ToP but I'm not sure if that's true
There's been no statement on this for anything. Ayres has said he will voice Freeza as long as he's able to, but that means it's really up to his health whether he does or doesn't, not something we fans can really observe. It's possible that Mills may take over if he's having trouble, or may just do the early parts with Ayres taking over lategame. It's not exactly a short tournament so depending on how his recovery is going it could really be anything. He recorded for the Broly trailer with something like 15% lung capacity so making sure he's still, y'know, alive should take priority.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Jaden wrote:Is there any chance Chris Ayres will be dubbing Frieza in the ToP arc? Or only in the upcoming movie?
There's been no statement on this for anything. Ayres has said he will voice Freeza as long as he's able to, but that means it's really up to his health whether he does or doesn't, not something we fans can really observe. It's possible that Mills may take over if he's having trouble, or may just do the early parts with Ayres taking over lategame. It's not exactly a short tournament so depending on how his recovery is going it could really be anything. He recorded for the Broly trailer with something like 15% lung capacity so making sure he's still, y'know, alive should take priority.
Yeah. A movie is only 2 or so hours long & they have almost 3 months to record his parts, so they can schedule his sessions accordingly. Super has 40 episodes with Frieza in them, so it's gonna be a longer production time. I'm sure he can do it & we'll have to wait for the first episode with Frieza to air, so it's gonna be interesting to see.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Chris Sabat talked about the Ayres situation (so many Chrises in this cast) in a recent interview: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-featur ... to-himself

Basically it sounds like they're game to have him record Freeza as much as he can. The issue is he might have to drop it at any time if a donor comes in or something else happens. That's doable for a movie, but for the arc it could be tricky.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:05 pm

All the love in the world for Chris Ayres, and I hope that donor comes ASAP.

With regards to the Jump Festa announcement, if they are indeed confirming Super's return to TV, then I hope Funimation won't have to negotiate for the new episodes again.
It likely won't return until June. Kitaro is due for at least 50 episodes so with breaks, you're looking at the end of May for it to finish.
The Universe Survival Arc is due to finish next December on Toonami, so hopefully they would have enough time to record these episodes so they don't have to take a hiatus, but I don't know how far in advance they need to get them done for TV.
It would be amazing if they can keep within 6 months of Japan.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:36 pm

As far as the Frieza situation it seems like the most ideal situation would be to have Ayers do what he can and hve Mills cover for what he struggles with
Which I'd imagine would most likely be the screaming

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:40 pm

I got to give it to Funimation, they did a Really Nice job choosing the Voice Actors for the Trio-De-Dangers, Lavender's voice actor is hitting his character right on point and out of the Park! 8) :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 pm

I like the southern US accent they gave Lavender.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 pm

shadd21 wrote:I like the southern US accent they gave Lavender.
I am glad I was not the only one heard a slight southern Accent to Lavender as well, always like it when voice actors give characters unique voices with different accents like that. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 am

AzuraRacon wrote:As far as the Frieza situation it seems like the most ideal situation would be to have Ayers do what he can and have Mills cover for what he struggles with, which I'd imagine would most likely be the screaming.
I said the same thing on Twitter.
DBZ_Lee wrote:All the love in the world for Chris Ayres, and I hope that donor comes ASAP.

With regards to the Jump Festa announcement, if they are indeed confirming Super's return to TV, then I hope Funimation won't have to negotiate for the new episodes again.
It likely won't return until June. Kitaro is due for at least 50 episodes so with breaks, you're looking at the end of May for it to finish.
The Universe Survival Arc is due to finish next December on Toonami, so hopefully they would have enough time to record these episodes so they don't have to take a hiatus, but I don't know how far in advance they need to get them done for TV.
It would be amazing if they can keep within 6 months of Japan.
I mean, if you do the math, the Super dub of the TOP is slated to last till about October next year at the least, though we don't know how many more breaks it'll have that'll delay that even further. Hopefully Toei will see the logic in licensing it out in less time than a year & a half, especially with 2-3 months or so of lag time. Hell, Attack On Titan has aired over here within several weeks with a broadcast dub after the Japanese airing. Sure, we'd have to wait slightly longer for the DVDs & Blu-Rays for those episodes, but that's fine with me, especially if they can finally release the Season sets we've been waiting for.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:26 am

Adult Swim and LatAM Cartoon Network would be especially interested in seeing more Super, the ratings are really hot and they are now airing it like crazy!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 am

Woah. Did my ears deceive me or did I hear Goku call it "Senzu" and not "Senzu Bean"?

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Woah. Did my ears deceive me or did I hear Goku call it "Senzu" and not "Senzu Bean"?
Is that significant?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:52 pm

shadd21 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Woah. Did my ears deceive me or did I hear Goku call it "Senzu" and not "Senzu Bean"?
Is that significant?
Since Senzu I believe means Sage Beans then saying Senzu Beans has always been redundant.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Is that significant?
Since Senzu I believe means Sage Beans then saying Senzu Beans has always been redundant.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Is that significant?
Well, we still have Master Roshi, which translates to Master Master.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:12 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
shadd21 wrote: Is that significant?
Well, we still have Master Roshi, which translates to Master Master.
Except that they're not gonna change that now. It's too engrained into the dub's nomenclature at this point.