"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:He's definitely out of the question for Funimation. He's a member of an Actors Guild I think.
Normally I'd 100% agree, but...JESUS if that doesn't sound EXACTLY like Horvitz. :shock: If it's not, I'm incredibly curious to know who it actually is. And if it is, HOW IN THE HELL DID THEY GET HIM.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm

I was also admittedly hesitant about Horvitz due to possible union conflicts. Admittedly a stretch, but Horvitz does have some sort of connection to Funimation through his mentee, Dawn Bennett (Kale's VA). It could be possible for him to go uncredited (which wouldn't surprise me for a mobile game), or use a pseudonym.

That being said, I'll agree if that's a really good sound-like! Fitting for Chilled's demeanor and stature. :D

On another note, it seems that Elizabeth Maxwell's equally excited for her anime debut as Caulifla.
Last edited by UltraPrimus22 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:He's definitely out of the question for Funimation. He's a member of an Actors Guild I think.
Horvitz has worked outside of the union before, though. Back in the 90s, he did Alpha 7 (as well as in 2002 for a cameo) in Power Rangers. He's willing to take lower pay if he likes the role, it seems. Plus, this is a video game, which seem to have different regulations than shows.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Isn't James Marsters part of an Actors Guild as well? FUNimation had him use a pseudonym.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Super excited about tonight's Dub episode! Because this episode will have the English speaking debut of the one, the only, the first female Super Saiyan, and literally my avatar: Caulifla. Tell me, are you guys excited about best girl?
Best girl? But I haven't heard Ribrianne dub voice yet
She's third best girl for me.
Glad to Hear Ribrianne is your 3rd Best Girl Dragon Ball Gus! :thumbup:

I am inching ALLOT to Finally Hear My #1 Girl, Ribrianne/Brianne's Dub Voice Finally, but I have to wait until December 15th for that, but until then I am REALLY, REALLY hyped to Finally Hear Kale and Caulifla!

Congratzs on Finally being able to Hear them tonight for your Best Girl Dragon Ball Gus! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 am

James Marsters was playing an incredibly major role, plus he was a fan of the series and had a unique history with it. You can see why they'd go to the effort to bring him in. I'd be very surprised if they got someone like Richard Horvitz to play a character from a special that was never dubbed, for a mobile game.

It could be anyone, maybe even Mills or Ayres doing a different voice. Remember when everyone was trying to figure out who was playing Kefla in Xenoverse 2 and nobody got it right because nobody knows modern Texas dub actors? It's probably going to be another situation like that.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:06 am

Are my ears deceiving me or is that Luci Christian as Yurin?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:17 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Are my ears deceiving me or is that Luci Christian as Yurin?
I think so. Also, I think Bryan Massey was Oolong. I guess Brad Jackson was unavailable.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:19 am

I bet Yurin really likes money, tangerines, and navigating.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 am

So far, I am absolutely loving Elizabeth Maxwell as Caulifla. She captures her personality perfectly. And by the way CJ, get more excited for Ribrianne, because she's gonna be making her English debut in 2 weeks! Hopefully, there isn't any break to ruin that.
Caulifla best girl! :)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So far, I am absolutely loving Elizabeth Maxwell as Caulifla. She captures her personality perfectly. And by the way CJ, get more excited for Ribrianne, because she's gonna be making her English debut in 2 weeks! Hopefully, there isn't any break to ruin that.
Indeed, I have to 1st off say Major Congratz's on Elizabeth Maxwell's Talent given to Caulifla Dragon Ball Gus, it was such a Smooth, Mature-Sassy style that Fits Amazingly and the way her Voice flows with the style and animation of Caulifla's character was spot-on Amazing and Fun! :clap: :shh:

I am way happy that Caulifla and her Main Fans like you that she got such a good voice for her English Dubbed debut, it is going to be a joy to listen to Liz and how she evolves the character threw-out the Arc! :thumbup:

Also Caulifla was one of my Favorites to come out of the ToP arc as well, so I share the Fandom's love for this voice. :angel:

I forgot the Kale did not speak in this episode, so sadly we have to wait longer to hear Kale, but Caulifla made up for that wait we still need to have.

Also have to say this episode was WAY Better in English Dub form, if that was Luci Christian as Yurin, then Nami brought her A-Game tonight and made her a fun and enjoyable for sadly a 1 time showing character at this point.

Also, YES Thank You, I am Really Inching to hear My Girl Brianne/Ribrianne's Voice, who they picked and her work history to compare what she might do with her character! The Break killed me in having to wait longer, I am hoping for no more sudden ones, LOL! But indeed right now 2 weeks Away, Thank You for your hype for her as well! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:25 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Super excited about tonight's Dub episode! Because this episode will have the English speaking debut of the one, the only, the first female Super Saiyan, and literally my avatar: Caulifla. Tell me, are you guys excited about best girl?
I agree with her next to 18 and bulma it would be for me.
What can I say warrior women >>> housewives?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:20 am

Caulifla voice was alright. More importantly, HOLY SHIT VIC MIGNOGNA IS ROHAN IN JOJO PART
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 am

Ooof Oolong sounded rough, they've been chasing his voice a lot lately who was it this time? "What you talkin' about Oolong" was a bit too much of a liberty for me.

Tien's voice actor is always on point.

Yu-reen is an interesting choice but probably a wise one.

Damn I forgot how cringe Roshi was this episode, really hard to watch. This episode might be my least favourite from any Dragon Ball medium *definitely Super at least), it truly is terrible. Not just cause of the Roshi stuff, the art and animation is also at a low here.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 am

UltraPrimus22 wrote:What, no love for Yurin? Well, maybe not from a certain master.

Also, this is more so Legends-related, but I doubt we're getting a dub of Episode of Bardock in the near-future. So...

Lord Chilled got his first English dub in that game, and it sounds like Funimation got Richard Steven Horvitz (Zim from Invader Zim, KAOS from the Skylanders series, Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) to provide his vocals. It sounds like some good typecasting if you're familiar with the first two roles I listed.
DAMN IT!!! Now, I want an English dub of Episode of Bardock even more! Considering France FINALLY got the Episode of Bardock and Hatchiyack specials dubbed this year as part of their Golden Box release, maybe we'll see them eventually by Funimation since Kai's Buu Saga was released a few years in France prior to Funimation's version. Same with Super DBH on Switch possibly getting released in North America due to Australia's listing for it. No hope for the 2008 special it seems, but that's already obvious. Funny enough I made a post about my hope for 2019's Funimation releases (doesn't seem to be getting any traction so I'll just delete it) yesterday and now I learn Chilled has a dub voice. This only increases my interest in a dub.

I need to stop doing this to myself, though. I keep hoping for the undubbed OVA's when everyone else has already moved on because it's obvious it's not going to happen anytime soon, if at all. Just curious, though. Is anyone else interested in the 2008 special, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, and Episode of Bardock receiving Funimation dubs? I'm a completionist so I just want to own all the major DB content physically and dubbed, but I understand Super is Funimation's main concern right now. Explanations from VegettoEX and others from the DB community have also already explained the specials can't be dubbed due to complicated reasons, but a small part of me still holds hope for it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:59 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
UltraPrimus22 wrote:What, no love for Yurin? Well, maybe not from a certain master.

Also, this is more so Legends-related, but I doubt we're getting a dub of Episode of Bardock in the near-future. So...

Lord Chilled got his first English dub in that game, and it sounds like Funimation got Richard Steven Horvitz (Zim from Invader Zim, KAOS from the Skylanders series, Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) to provide his vocals. It sounds like some good typecasting if you're familiar with the first two roles I listed.
DAMN IT!!! Now, I want an English dub of Episode of Bardock even more! Considering France FINALLY got the Episode of Bardock and Hatchiyack specials dubbed this year as part of their Golden Box release, maybe we'll see them eventually by Funimation since Kai's Buu Saga was released a few years in France prior to Funimation's version. Same with Super DBH on Switch possibly getting released in North America due to Australia's listing for it. No hope for the 2008 special it seems, but that's already obvious. Funny enough I made a post about my hope for 2019's Funimation releases (doesn't seem to be getting any traction so I'll just delete it) yesterday and now I learn Chilled has a dub voice. This only increases my interest in a dub.

I need to stop doing this to myself, though. I keep hoping for the undubbed OVA's when everyone else has already moved on because it's obvious it's not going to happen anytime soon, if at all. Just curious, though. Is anyone else interested in the 2008 special, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, and Episode of Bardock receiving Funimation dubs? I'm a completionist so I just want to own all the major DB content physically and dubbed, but I understand Super is Funimation's main concern right now. Explanations from VegettoEX and others from the DB community have also already explained the specials can't be dubbed due to complicated reasons, but a small part of me still holds hope for it.
Well, those OVAs (as well as 2008's Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return, I believe) were made for tie-in stuff in Japan. Plant o Eradicate the Saiyans was originally part of a video game, then remade into just the OVA. It might be due to rights issues, since the original was made with Tose & published by Bandai, so it's not just Toei that owns the rights to it. Still, I don't get how they couldn't at least have FUNi dub it for when Raging Blast 2 came out with the OVA on the disc & Hatchihyack was a villain in the game with a dub voice. It'd solve the problem of having a dub for it at least. Episode of Bardock was made, I think, for Jump Festa, which for some reason brings in its own can of worms. My point also stands for why they couldn't have dubbed this for the game Dragon Ball Kinect, which had Bardock as a Super Saiyan in it & this OVA on it. Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return was made in conjunction with Jump Festa, I think, as well.
I won't claim to know how distribution rights work in Japan, but there's obviously some kind of agreement somewhere that makes it hard to license & distribute these OVAs outside of Japan, especially since they require different licensing agreements than the TV shows & movies.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Oh boy, Oolong's voice was not good....

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm

So Brianne de Chateau is going to be played by Veronica Taylor. Unless this is some weird coincidence and an unknown actor happens to share that name with her, she will indeed be played by the original English Ash Ketchum.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:57 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:So Brianne de Chateau is going to be played by Veronica Taylor. Unless this is some weird coincidence and an unknown actor happens to share that name with her, she will indeed be played by the original English Ash Ketchum.
That's really cool if it is her. I wonder if Sean Schemmel helped swing that, they're mates and he's always going on about how they never should have dropped the original Pokemon cast.

With C&K over, Ribiranne's got to be the last big voice reveal left from this arc. A part of me is afraid Funimation is going to miss the point and give her transformed state an obnoxious 'fat girl' voice. Hiring a beloved VA like Veronica Taylor would suggest they're hopefully going to do right by her. That and stave off the inevitable second backlash she's going to get.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:24 am

OmegaRockman wrote:So Brianne de Chateau is going to be played by Veronica Taylor. Unless this is some weird coincidence and an unknown actor happens to share that name with her, she will indeed be played by the original English Ash Ketchum.
Back in March 2018, this happened on Twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/theveronicat ... 24?lang=es

This could mean she actually auditioned for the part and got the role.