"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 am

Kataphrut wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:So Brianne de Chateau is going to be played by Veronica Taylor. Unless this is some weird coincidence and an unknown actor happens to share that name with her, she will indeed be played by the original English Ash Ketchum.
That's really cool if it is her. I wonder if Sean Schemmel helped swing that, they're mates and he's always going on about how they never should have dropped the original Pokemon cast.

With C&K over, Ribiranne's got to be the last big voice reveal left from this arc. A part of me is afraid Funimation is going to miss the point and give her transformed state an obnoxious 'fat girl' voice. Hiring a beloved VA like Veronica Taylor would suggest they're hopefully going to do right by her. That and stave off the inevitable second backlash she's going to get.
WELLLLLLLL..........this News Just ROCKED MY NIGHT! :shock: / :lol:

I mean........As a Fan for Brianne/Ribrianne all I can say is WOW, just WOW I am Floored, if this Turns out to be True, that they got such a BIG Name to Voice Brianne/Ribrianne!

With the reveal of How Good also Caulifla's Voice was and now with the Reveal that Veronica Taylor Might be Brianne's actress, I am Amazed and Proud that it sounds like so far that Funimation is putting allot of work into getting great actress for these parts and taking them both seriously and respectively! :thumbup:

Again I am waiting to know as well that the Veronica Taylor New is True, but so far is sound by what you are all saying that is is happening.

I also looked up and besides Ash Ketchum, even More Major of a Voice she did that is important for Brianne/Ribrianne's Character is that Veronica Taylor was also the voice of SAILOR PLUTO for the New Viz English Dub of Sailor Moon, So Brianne will be Voice by a Legit Sailor Guardian/Magical Girl Voice Actress, If True! :D

Links below to hear, Veronica sounds Heavenly as Sailor Pluto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsyNOhQFXBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6toQk0TPZ_Y
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 am

Scsigs wrote: Episode of Bardock was made, I think, for Jump Festa, which for some reason brings in its own can of worms. My point also stands for why they couldn't have dubbed this for the game Dragon Ball Kinect, which had Bardock as a Super Saiyan in it & this OVA on it. Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return was made in conjunction with Jump Festa, I think, as well.
I won't claim to know how distribution rights work in Japan, but there's obviously some kind of agreement somewhere that makes it hard to license & distribute these OVAs outside of Japan, especially since they require different licensing agreements than the TV shows & movies.
Just because material has been created for Jump Festa, it does not it cannot be released outside of Japan (or dubbed, for that matter).
VIZ dubbed and released the Naruto Jump Festival 2004 Special - Mission: Protect the Hidden Waterfall Village. I have the DVD.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:41 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Episode of Bardock was made, I think, for Jump Festa, which for some reason brings in its own can of worms. My point also stands for why they couldn't have dubbed this for the game Dragon Ball Kinect, which had Bardock as a Super Saiyan in it & this OVA on it. Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return was made in conjunction with Jump Festa, I think, as well.
I won't claim to know how distribution rights work in Japan, but there's obviously some kind of agreement somewhere that makes it hard to license & distribute these OVAs outside of Japan, especially since they require different licensing agreements than the TV shows & movies.
Just because material has been created for Jump Festa, it does not it cannot be released outside of Japan (or dubbed, for that matter).
VIZ dubbed and released the Naruto Jump Festival 2004 Special - Mission: Protect the Hidden Waterfall Village. I have the DVD.
Yes, but there's a TON of legal shenanigans involved with it & I think it would probably be very expensive to do.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am

I've always thought Veronica Taylor (along with a few other NY based VA's like Rachael Lillis and Dan Green) were actually really freakin' good and kind of wasted on a lot of the stuff 4Kids was using them on, so if it turns out that that is her as Ribrianne, I'd be ecstatic. :mrgreen:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:22 am

Veronica Taylor? As Ribrianne?

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Veronica Taylor as Ribrianne? Cool, looking foward to hear her voice cause her performance on Ash and May we're really good.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:So Brianne de Chateau is going to be played by Veronica Taylor. Unless this is some weird coincidence and an unknown actor happens to share that name with her, she will indeed be played by the original English Ash Ketchum.
That would be cool. I never got back into Pokemon after the cast change, but nice to know Taylor will be back for a paycheck on a role she will surely be remembered for after all these years. Hopefully she'll use a voice similar to what she used for Delia as that would suit Ribrianne very well I'd say.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Spider-Man wrote:Veronica Taylor as Ribrianne? Cool, looking foward to hear her voice cause her performance on Ash and May we're really good.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
That would be cool. I never got back into Pokemon after the cast change, but nice to know Taylor will be back for a paycheck on a role she will surely be remembered for after all these years. Hopefully she'll use a voice similar to what she used for Delia as that would suit Ribrianne very well I'd say.
I am Very Happy to be hearing this is getting such a positive Response from all of you and other parts the Fanbase I have seen online so far! :thumbup:

Its brings a Star Actress to the DB Franchise to add to her Resume and be part of the DB Mythos, but even more by the choice of Veronica Taylor, it seems to be doing Wonders in the Positive-Sense for Brianne/Ribrianne's Character with parts of the Fansbase I have seen and that is all I have Every Want for My Favorite Girl Brianne/Ribrianne, Makes Me Very Happy! :cry: :)

Thanks to a Poster on DeviantArt, Fankindess, the Response has been Pretty Incredible on Twitter, this is one of the Biggest New Voice Casting Chooses it seems for the ToP arc and it is for Brianne/Ribrianne! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see what Veronica Taylor brings to the Character, Link to the Twitter Below! 8)

https://twitter.com/dragonballsuper/sta ... 8940923904

--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Would laugh if Dan Green was going to voice Jiren
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:09 am

It makes me so happy to see FUNi using NY voice actors. First Mike Pollock and now her. Amazing. Who will be next? Marc Thompson? J. David Brimmer? Bella Hudson? :think:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 am

Tian wrote:It makes me so happy to see FUNi using NY voice actors. First Mike Pollock and now her. Amazing. Who will be next? Marc Thompson? J. David Brimmer? Bella Hudson? :think:
Well, she moved to LA several years ago to get more roles, since 4Kids went belly-up. Notably, she's Sailor Pluto in Sailor Moon's newest dubs, which is probably why Sabat cast her for this character, since Ribrianne is a reference to Sailor Moon.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 am

Woah woah wait, my boy Dr Eggman is on this show? Who is Mike Pollock voicing?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:39 am

Shaddy wrote:Woah woah wait, my boy Dr Eggman is on this show? Who is Mike Pollock voicing?
He's not voicing anyone in Dragon Ball. He voiced a character in another anime dubbed by FUNimation, Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 am

Ah. Darn. Plenty of the other Sonic cast members do lots of anime dub work, but Pollock is easily my favorite out of them all, and I'd love to hear him ham it up in Dragon Ball. Though I guess Toppo was already cast so he's missed out on the truly perfect role.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:23 pm

New english VA for Dragon Ball Super: Broly:

Emily Neves as Gine
Erica Lindbeck as Cheelai
Bruce Carey as Lemo
Veronica Taylor as Berryblue
Sonny Franks as Kikono
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Has FUNimation completed the Boo arc on Kai 2.0?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Noah wrote:Has FUNimation completed the Boo arc on Kai 2.0?
Yes. That was completed quite some time ago.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Veronica Taylor as Berryblue
Veronica Taylor is voicing a second character? I was under the impression FUNimation wasn't giving cast members more than one DB role these days, outside of pre existing characters of course.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 am

That was really weird and inconsistent to change Oolong's voice in the middle of the series, since Brad Jackson had returned for Super. Hopefully by the time the blu ray comes out they redub it for consistency.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:15 am

Noah wrote:Has FUNimation completed the Boo arc on Kai 2.0?
Not only have they completed it, its about to be available on Blu-Ray in all English speaking countries as Manga UK are set to release the final part.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: