"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?
To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Alright guys, so with Episode 83 coming out this week, anyone else hope Funimation will finally start calling Vegeta's daughter Bra, and finally end the days of "Bulla"? I don't see any problem with them doing it at this point since they're going to call a character Top, and have it perfectly match the lip flaps, and use the word "bitch" every 5 or so episodes. At this point, there's just absolutely no excuse for them not to call her Bra. They can say whatever the fuck they want now (Excuse my language), they're shortening names but still having them perfectly match the lip flaps. It's time to drop "Bulla", guys, there's no point in calling her that anymore. Call her Bra, simple as that. Sorry I kinda went on a rant there guys, I just had to get this off my chest. And also start a discussion on this topic. With that said, give me you guys' thoughts on this!
They called her "Bulla" even in the subbed version. Also most dub fans know her as bulls so I don't seem them changing it just to appeal "Bra" fans lol

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Nokra wrote:They called her "Bulla" even in the subbed version. Also most dub fans know her as bulls so I don't seem them changing it just to appeal "Bra" fans lol
When was she ever called "bulls"? Also, there are two official sub versions: Toei's subs, which appear on services like FuniNow, Crunchyroll, and AnimeLab, that use Funi terminology most of the time; and the Simmons subs, which are only available on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. I'm fairly sure that the Simmons subs of the episode in question will call her Bra.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Nokra wrote:They called her "Bulla" even in the subbed version. Also most dub fans know her as bulls so I don't seem them changing it just to appeal "Bra" fans lol
When was she ever called "bulls"? Also, there are two official sub versions: Toei's subs, which appear on services like FuniNow, Crunchyroll, and AnimeLab, that use Funi terminology most of the time; and the Simmons subs, which are only available on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. I'm fairly sure that the Simmons subs of the episode in question will call her Bra.
I met "Bulla" not "Bulls". Also I was mostly referring to the dub calling her Bulla even though the crunchyroll sub called her Bulla too.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm

TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote: To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
My JROTC instructors were referred as "Top," so I can vouch this.

I'm not sure Toriyama or Toyotaro was even aware of the lingo, but the coincidence is amusing.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am

Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
Now? They been doing that since Kai. Didn't Z Japanese do that as well? Getting to your point its probably to add more impact to the screams.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:40 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
Now? They been doing that since Kai. Didn't Z Japanese do that as well? Getting to your point its probably to add more impact to the screams.
Japanese Z did it but they were actually like a real echo in an empty room. Here it seems like they just overlay two voice tracks over one another. It sounds bad.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time yeah it doesn't. Initially I wasn't too bothered by it when it first happened in the BoG arc but by now it is definitely annoying.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm

What echos?

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 am

I love the echo. It adds a lot more impact to the action going on screen.
"Oh dear...."

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 am

It's quite silly to name a character Top when the arc is addressed by same way :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time yeah it doesn't. Initially I wasn't too bothered by it when it first happened in the BoG arc but by now it is definitely annoying.
I like the echoes, my problem is that they been using it too much so it feels less special.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 am

TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote: To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.

Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:18 am

Noah wrote:It's quite silly to name a character Top when the arc is addressed by same way :)
The same thing happens with King Vegeta, Planet Vegeta and Vegeta :lol:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Simere wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:

Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.
Yeah guys like you probably can’t appreciate something like that. It’s fine though. Whether or not it’s a coincidence, it’s very possible it was intentional. You’ll probably never know the truth, so go ahead and believe whatever you like.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 pm

TheOne wrote:
Simere wrote:
TheOne wrote: If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Yeah guys like you probably can’t appreciate something like that. It’s fine though. Whether or not it’s a coincidence, it’s very possible it was intentional. You’ll probably never know the truth, so go ahead and believe whatever you like.
Wow. Condescending much, pal?

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:46 pm

MrTennek wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Simere wrote: Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.
Wow. Condescending much, pal?
Wasn’t meant to be condescending. To completely disregard the similarities of the Pride Troopers and the military is just asinine. Pride Troopers are a fighting organization with a clear military like structure, with Kahseral literally being named General (a military rank) and Top meaing the leader of enlisted soldiers in the military.

To have some guy say I don’t care about the similarities and pretends that the writers wouldn’t possibly think about something like that really... makes me question people’s understanding and willingness to get out of their own heads. Which is part of the problem with the dragon ball fandom.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Haven’t bought the DLC pack myself so I wouldn’t know but, is it true that Funimation gave Kefla a Latino accent in Xenoverse 2?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:11 pm

shadd21 wrote:Haven’t bought the DLC pack myself so I wouldn’t know but, is it true that Funimation gave Kefla a Latino accent in Xenoverse 2?
No
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie