"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HybridSaiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Probably because Sabat thinks his narrator voice doesn't fit anymore.
That's stupid. He did a mighty fine job! The new one is worse. D:
Well, the narrator is supposed to sound like a wise old man not some rock concert announcer. Doc Morgan as Narrator is the best re-casting alongside Ayres as Freeza.
I find Doc Morgan's Narrator voice to be rather boring. There's no hype, or excitement in his tone at all. Sabat trying to follow the Japanese way of things Is a bad choice in my opinion, DBS should be westernized along with bringing back BF.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Well, the narrator is supposed to sound like a wise old man not some rock concert announcer. Doc Morgan as Narrator is the best re-casting alongside Ayres as Freeza.
I find Doc Morgan's Narrator voice to be rather boring. There's no hype, or excitement in his tone at all. Sabat trying to follow the Japanese way of things Is a bad choice in my opinion, DBS should be westernized along with bringing back BF.
Not about excitement it's about narrating and Morgan's narration has more character then Herbet's, some of Morgan's deliveries and inflection are brilliant.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Well, the narrator is supposed to sound like a wise old man not some rock concert announcer. Doc Morgan as Narrator is the best re-casting alongside Ayres as Freeza.
Not about excitement it's about narrating and Morgan's narration has more character then Herbet's, some of Morgan's deliveries and inflection are brilliant.
I perfer the narrator they had in Dragon Ball if they were going to switch.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Brice Armstrong retired in 2009 which was why Ginyu got recast in Kai.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Brice Armstrong retired in 2009 which was why Ginyu got recast in Kai.
Same guy? Wow, I would never guess. He always made Dragon Ball sound like a fairytale.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Doc Morgan is best suited to the mythical and adventurous feel of Dragon Ball, more so than any other narrator we've ever had. It's a slow burner but the excitement is there.

Honestly I think the Super dub has been westernized as much as it should be, i.e. not by much, mostly just subtle nods to American fans while remaining faithful to the Japanese, with things like Roshi's Blu-Ray joke and Vegeta slagging Bulma about Yamcha.

Bruce Faulconer isn't coming back. Funimation does not do replacement scores anymore, and they certainly won't hire a composer that sued them for 13 million dollars in the past again.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 am

#32 title: "Matches Begin! We're All Off To the "Planet With No Name!"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Why doesn't Kyle Hebert do the Narrator voice anymore? :|
Probably because Sabat thinks his narrator voice doesn't fit anymore.
Here's how I've head them compared. Kyle was good for what they turned DBZ into & his narrator voice went with the Rock music score Falconer made. However, with FUNi no longer making replacement scores & Dragon Ball's music being more relaxed & the tone being more mature, Doc Morgan's voice goes more with that tone for the show. Given Kyle's narrations at the beginning of the extended version of Battle of Gods, I don't disagree. While his narrating the series would be consistent with the Z dub, it wouldn't be as fitting as Morgan. Morgan's more in-line with Armstrong's narrations anyways, so I don't see the problem outside of preferences anyways.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Mercer is Hit... Holy shit! Well happy. Cris George is Pooh Bear and Mills is Big Nipples.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mercer is Hit... Holy shit! Well happy. Cris George is Pooh Bear and Mills is Big Nipples.
I'm quite surprised they actually recasted Hit. Don't get me wrong, the guy in Xenoverse wasn't really that good, but I guess when they actually got into the Universe 6 arc, they thought "Oops, we casted the wrong guy." But they kept that guy in Xenoverse just for consistency's sake, kinda like why Goku Black's base form sounds different from his Rose form, though I consider that consistent and inconsistent at the same time, if you know what I mean.

Also did anyone else notice that Magetta didn't get an English voice reveal? Does that mean they're gonna keep Magetta's voice in Japanese?!
Caulifla best girl! :)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mercer is Hit... Holy shit! Well happy. Cris George is Pooh Bear and Mills is Big Nipples.
I'm quite surprised they actually recasted Hit. Don't get me wrong, the guy in Xenoverse wasn't really that good, but I guess when they actually got into the Universe 6 arc, they thought "Oops, we casted the wrong guy." But they kept that guy in Xenoverse just for consistency's sake, kinda like why Goku Black's base form sounds different from his Rose form, though I consider that consistent and inconsistent at the same time, if you know what I mean.

Also did anyone else notice that Magetta didn't get an English voice reveal? Does that mean they're gonna keep Magetta's voice in Japanese?!

You really shouldn't base anyone on their Xenoverse performance.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:

Technically Hit isn't a recast as XV2 is not Dragon Ball Super. Mercer is a super busy guy so it makes sense someone else would fill the role for him in a game.

Yes I noticed was odd. But does Magetta even speak? I can't remember if he just makes noises could be they're using the JPN sounds.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:45 pm

MERCER IS HIT AND DAMAN MILLS IS MONAKA
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
This arc's dub is going to be great
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Here is a question does Zamasu get recasted? The reception to him was not great just like to Hit, so should we expect a recast? Also Marsters is not known for anime roles and i see him being a pretty busy dude to be able to be available for an entire arc :shock:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:17 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Here is a question does Zamasu get recasted? The reception to him was not great just like to Hit, so should we expect a recast? Also Marsters is not known for anime roles and i see him being a pretty busy dude to be able to be available for an entire arc :shock:
I don't know if he will, but if he does, the question should be who should voice him? Before we heard Marsters, a lot of people thought Mercer would be a great choice for Zamasu, but since now Mercer is voicing Hit, who's left for any replacement for Zamasu, that will actually be good?
Caulifla best girl! :)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Here is a question does Zamasu get recasted? The reception to him was not great just like to Hit, so should we expect a recast? Also Marsters is not known for anime roles and i see him being a pretty busy dude to be able to be available for an entire arc :shock:
They seem certain that he will be Zamasu and Marsters was the one who wanted to be in Super so they won't recast him. They never said that for Aaron Roberts as Hit
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 pm

I doubt it. He went to Funi to get a role in Super to redeemed himself for Evolution.
Kanassa wrote:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:53 pm

HeroR wrote:I doubt it. He went to Funi to get a role in Super to redeemed himself for Evolution.
Did he actually said that? :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 pm

I think Marsters makes an excellent Zamasu. I just like the voice from what I've heard from Xenoverse, so I assume he will be even better when the episodes roll around. So I sincerely hope he doesn't get recast.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Noah wrote:
HeroR wrote:I doubt it. He went to Funi to get a role in Super to redeemed himself for Evolution.
Did he actually said that? :D
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Some interesting tidbits about Marsters, he went to see Sabat back in December for help on a voice reel but he had an ulterior motive and wanted to be apart of Super regardless of the size of the role he wanted to something to wash people's taste of DBE.

http://vidiotsonline.com/blog/2016/12/2 ... -in-texas/
Kanassa wrote: