"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Shaddy wrote:goddamn Chris Thorndyke holding a blank sign
That was not entirely 4kids' fault. The sign was already pre-wiped on TMS's international masters, as seen on the French dub (which, occasional use of the Jetix replacement intro aside, was completely unrelated to 4kids' dub) and 4kids/Saban's uncut Japanese with subtitles videos that were on Hulu. If 4kids never knew what was on the sign to begin with, what were they supposed to do, paint it out completely?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Point taken, I didn't know that. Still, it's one outlier in a show full of horrible localization changes, I'd have to believe most of them aren't like this.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Some of the painting over words was done by TMS (mostly ones with Japanese text) and some was done by 4kids' (IIRC mostly ones with English text for some reason). But yeah, the show did have horrible localization changes... we're getting off-topic, aren't we?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:03 pm

1345521 wrote:What do you mean "act"? Funi dub back in the day could act very well and produced some of the most boss lines in db history. They acted fine and are better WAY BETTER then they are today. I guess if "acting" means being nothing more then being non serious entertainment figures instead of also adding being figures on the tv that inspires youth...that good riddance to you. Because this convo is over. This is my issue with today's entertainment, WAY to much meme culture that has been embodied into it. Gone are the days where popular cartoons and show could actually take itself really seriously and meant to inspire. Now meme culture has eroded it into you're nothing but just mere entertainment, it takes away from being that much invested into the show, and makes things lose it's intrinsic value since it's nothing but "fake entertainment, don't take yourself seriously - "That's bad acting"". Ugh, such words so truly irritate.
This conversation is over. I'm starting to lose my cool when you say old funi dub can't "act" simply because there's not enough sillyness (even though funi dub did have its light hearted sillyness).
Hmph
So much...

What do YOU mean by "act"? I'm meaning the ability to convey emotions well & be believable. Also doing so consistently.

No. They couldn't. If you pay attention, back then they had so many problems with their acting. They even say THEMSELVES that they were a bunch of amateurs, which they were. FUNi literally auditioned people who'd never done professional acting work before off the streets to do the work & carry on the work of professional Canadian voice actors at that. Again, you are thinking of the redubs they did for the orange brick DVDs, or, & this is worse, nostalgia. I've watched the entire Buu Saga of Z with that dub & it is just bad. It's the best they did, but bad. The Buu Saga of Kai is MUCH better in the acting department, sorry. Everything just sounds & feels better to me. Z's dub felt rushed & forced, which in many ways, it was. Kai's is the opposite. It feels comfy & relaxed the whole way through. Helped by that are the scripts & development time for the dub, not just the actors being better & Sabat being a better director.

You're literally talking about the worst aspect of the Z dub; the script changes. I don't care how the script gets changed, accuracy is everything. If you have to change the characters so drastically, add awful dialogue where there was none in the first place, & feel the need to pander to a base demographic to sell a product by doing so, you shouldn't be dubbing a show in the first place. I know most studios in Japan don't care as long as their shows get aired on TV in other countries, just look at how many shows 4Kids dubbed before they finally died, leading 4K Media to pick up Yugioh in their stead because Konami owns the franchise & doesn't care about ANYTHING if it's not related to money, just as any fan of Metal Gear. Their dubs CAN be enjoyable, just look at the fact that Yugioh Abridged existed initially for the sole purpose of mocking it, but they're hardly the best dubs out there by a longshot. For the longest time, the Z dub was a source of mockery by fans of the Japanese version, including the cast. Now, we don't hear those complaints a lot outside of the odd line scripting here & there, or if there's a hardcore Japanese dub fan who just doesn't like the English dub.

And, no, I don't mean the fact that they don't try to be inspirational anymore. That's not Dragon Ball's focus in the first place. It exists as entertainment. Flawed entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless. I mean, Goku isn't Jesus. He isn't this symbol for hope or whatever. He's a guy who loves his friends & family (unless someone who only accepts the jokey way he's been portrayed in memes & TFS' abridged series, as well as a bit in Super, then he's an uncaring bastard), loves food, & loves to get stronger & face stronger opponents while doing so. He's a simple man, but that's always been his character. He's also book dumb. Not to the levels of mental retardation TFS make him, but just book dumb. That alone can sum up my feelings here.

You think DB was meant to inspire people? You think meme culture has ruined that? That makes NO SENSE, dude. Sabat was aware of the mistakes made in Z for YEARS before Kai even started being dubbed. His years of working on dubs that actually took themselves seriously & also working on better dubs of DB material for the video games taught him that. Seriously, look to the fact that in the first arc, Oolong wished for panties. Look to the fact that Roshi is a 300-year-old perverted old man who constantly hits on hot young women. Look to the fact that Goku & Vegeta keep letting their Saiyan instincts keep them from taking care of problems before they start constantly in Z (which I'm glad that Trunks actually was scripted to comment on that in Super). Look to the fact that, at the beginning of the series, Bulma wanted the perfect boyfriend & Yamcha was so scared of women, so they wanted to use the Dragon Balls to solve their problems. Look at the fact that Bulma is a terrible person prior to having Trunks & becoming a mother. Many of these things were played for comedy. Many of these things were stupid. Dragon Ball is not a series meant to inspire. It's a series meant for entertainment. No dub is going to change that.

A dub is meant to introduce a new audience to a product in another language & country so they'd be comfortable watching it. A dub is meant to be as accurate to the original version as possible. Z's dub screwed that up a LOT. Kai's dub more than made up for it. Hell, even DB & GT's dubs are better than Z's. Super's is also better than Z's, even when people on here act like it's on the same level. Minus the odd line, it's still better than what it COULD be if FUNi didn't evolve as a dubbing company after Z's dub finished by a landslide. I'm sorry, but if you are this blinded by your fanboyisms for the Z dub, I can't talk to you. Yeah, end this conversation. This is just getting annoying.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:40 am

shadowmaria wrote:Why do people become vegan's when humans have inherently evolved to be omnivores? Same thing; choice.
I'll credit them with persistance as I think I could never do it. Love barbecue.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 am

1345521 wrote:Can someone PLEASE explain to me why some people only watch Sub versions of Dragon ball and can't stand dub and yet they speak english and only english? Like cmon...
I can get OLD dub (Which to me is GOAT DUB) but they can't even stand the new modern kai-ish dub for super?
Sean schemal goku irrataes you? you can't stand sabat vegeta?
I don't know, it seems weird.
What's so hard to understand? People have different preferences. Some like anime dubbed, some like anime its orginal Japanese language, and some like both. I happen to like both the Japanese verison and the Latin American dub. But I don't like or care for the FUNi dub(s). Why? Well there's several reasons why, but the main one is that I didn't grow up with those dubs. I have no attachment to them. And they're radically different to the version I grew up with. The original Japanese version however, is essentially the same show I grew up watching but in Japanese. It has the same music, same dialogue, and same character personalities as the Latin American dub. That's why I like it. Not to mention that it has great voice acting. But anyway, back to your question. The simple answer is that people just like what they like.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:06 pm

I know I've already said this about "the star of this damn show" but can "time to make the donuts" get it's own thread

Kinda tired of seeing this thread get absolutely /dominated/ by complaints about line changes the very few times the occur

Hell just give line changes their own thread at this point

It's been what
Two, three weeks now?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:28 am

Toonami does full OP's now right? So LBxS won't be butchered in a few weeks?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:29 am

AzuraRacon wrote:I know I've already said this about "the star of this damn show" but can "time to make the donuts" get it's own thread

Kinda tired of seeing this thread get absolutely /dominated/ by complaints about line changes the very few times the occur

Hell just give line changes their own thread at this point

It's been what
Two, three weeks now?
Are people still bringing up that donut line? It seems to have died down by now. I didn’t like the line, but it’s time to move on.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Toonami does full OP's now right? So LBxS won't be butchered in a few weeks?
Only for Super currently, though that may change soon as MHA will be talking the time slot before it.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm

"look up in the sky, it's great saiyaman"

I'm actually kinda surprised the dub didn't go further with that part and add in someone saying "it's a bird, it's a plane" to make a Superman reference, lol

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:14 pm

As expected, I thoroughly enjoyed these past two episodes

Looking forward to the next two with Krillin and Goku training. I hope that Linda Young reprises her role as Fortunesmeller Baba Fortuneteller Baba

And then we'll finally be in the Universal Survival Arc. Can't wait to hear all the new casting announcements; sincerely hoping that the Trio de Dangers has a French twang to their voices.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:54 am

shadowmaria wrote:I hope that Linda Young reprises her role as Fortunesmeller Baba Fortuneteller Baba
Yeah, I also hope she voices Freeza Baba again.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:36 pm

shadowmaria wrote:As expected, I thoroughly enjoyed these past two episodes

Looking forward to the next two with Krillin and Goku training. I hope that Linda Young reprises her role as Fortunesmeller Baba Fortuneteller Baba

And then we'll finally be in the Universal Survival Arc. Can't wait to hear all the new casting announcements; sincerely hoping that the Trio de Dangers has a French twang to their voices.
I wonder how much dub Ribrianne will annoy people...

Also, it’s probably not going to happen, but I think Chris Sabat would make a pretty good Toppo.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Ribrianne wasn't annoying, so your statement confuses me :crazy:
Ya know what an opinion is? Or subjectivism?

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 pm

MrTennek wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Ribrianne wasn't annoying, so your statement confuses me :crazy:
It is pretty much the best way to put it, No Matter their will be fans that like and dislike any character, usally the main truth is to respect each others side the best we can and relize both sides of the fandom have a rights to enjoy who they like.

I have excitement for Ribrianne's Voice Actress and the Maidens, it is going to be interesting WHO they get and their Veteran status with what they have worked on and style. It will mostly be determined if the voice actress gets down Ribrianne/Briannes's high energy and enthusiasm in her character's style down right. :)

After the whole Portugal's dub controversy with an original voice actress sounding bad it made fans go up in arms about a voice that did not respect the characters persona. This gives me hope that fans do care that each character is indeed done right to have the dub the best that it can be. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 am

MrTennek wrote:
Considering I studied linguistics for five years, I do in fact

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

https://twitter.com/toonamisquad/status ... 40416?s=21

There’s going to be marathon of season 1 My Hero Academia on September 1st, So there’s going to be a bit of a wait between the first and second episode of the ToP arc.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Since there hasn’t been much discussion lately, I’m guessing that FUNimation’s handling of the mini arc with Great Saiyaman was serviceable? Nothing too controversial?