"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:09 pm

If someone has to replace Chris it should be Greg. Sabat does not need to pander to fans of the old dub.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm

I believe Chris is coming back. He can beat this, I know he can.
If they need a fill in, how about LittleKuriboh? he's pretty close.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:41 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I believe Chris is coming back. He can beat this, I know he can.
Well he did come up with the voice first technically.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I believe Chris is coming back. He can beat this, I know he can.
That'd be great, but could they get passed Toei on it? It'd be interesting to find out since, while he IS a member of TFS, he's only a voice actor in DBZA as the narrator & Freeza, plus Yugioh Abridged is partly hosted on their website, so that'd be interesting to find out. All hed have to do is alter his Frieza voice pitch slightly & it'd be a perfect match for Chris'.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Scsigs wrote: I'm kinda hoping it's Little Kuriboh, or at least someone who can do a similar voice-match to Chris' Frieza voice. It's not particularly hard to imitate his Frieza voice tone, or accent, if you listen to it enough, but I hope he can continue with doing the voice for several more years.
I like LK but for him to actually play Freeza instead of a parody / joke version he'd have to alter the voice pretty heavily. Plus if one TFS voice bcomes the voice of the character for the dub, we'll NEVER hear the end of it from other TFS fanboys about having the whole cast be dubbed by TFS

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 pm

If they do have to switch out Chris Ayres, it'll probably go to someone else in FUNimation instead. But, hopefully, it won't come to that. I wish Chris Ayres the best

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:54 am

Thoughts on this weeks episode? I think this was the god awful Piccolo sacrafice one?

Also AoT marathon next week....yay!!! :roll:

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Thoughts on this weeks episode? I think this was the god awful Piccolo sacrafice one?

Also AoT marathon next week....yay!!! :roll:
I loved it. Schemmel's Goku was heaps intense this week. I preferred his delivery here than in the movie (the lines they reused I mean).

I watched the episode in Japanese last week, so all the changes were noticeable. Vegeta killing Ginyu came across way more ruthless here, and Goku was more annoyed at him killing him.

The Jaco line about Vegeta looking like a villain was changed to "Your husband sure looks scary, I can't imagine the pillow talk". I thought that was quite funny.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Saw the episode, yeah the episode itself was not great at all. Cracking dub as per usual but maaaaan almost there to the U6 stuff not long left!

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Tagging for those who are dub-only;

[spoiler]On a more positive note, I think I've figured out why Goku Black speaks in a British accent.

With James Marsters (a British actor) playng Zamasu, it makes sense that Zamasu's consciousness would speak through Goku's vocal chords with a British accent.

Listening to XV2, it does sound as though Marsters is opting to use (even just a slight) British accent for Zamasu, and Schemmel stated that his reasoning for the British accent was a creative choice that he made.

I've tweeted him about it, but nothing so far (if he interacts with the tweet at all); but I figured this is a great explanation that also adheres to science[/spoiler]

Basically, this makes sense, and it works and I love it, and haters should stop hating if this is the creative choice that the actor has made.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Tagging for those who are dub-only;

[spoiler]On a more positive note, I think I've figured out why Goku Black speaks in a British accent.

With James Marsters (a British actor) playng Zamasu, it makes sense that Zamasu's consciousness would speak through Goku's vocal chords with a British accent.

Listening to XV2, it does sound as though Marsters is opting to use (even just a slight) British accent for Zamasu, and Schemmel stated that his reasoning for the British accent was a creative choice that he made.

I've tweeted him about it, but nothing so far (if he interacts with the tweet at all); but I figured this is a great explanation that also adheres to science[/spoiler]

Basically, this makes sense, and it works and I love it, and haters should stop hating if this is the creative choice that the actor has made.
[spoiler]James Marsters is American, he just played a British character in Buffy.[/spoiler]

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:34 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Tagging for those who are dub-only;

[spoiler]James Marsters is American, he just played a British character in Buffy.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]You're right, I've only ever seen him speak with a British accent, so please forgive my oversight.

Never the less, could be an explanation?[/spoiler]

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:44 pm

shadowmaria wrote:You're right, I've only ever seen him speak with a British accent, so please forgive my oversight.
Never the less, could be an explanation?
That's only an explanation in that it's a reference to the role that made him famous. The thing about it is that it STILL doesn't make any sense in-universe even WITH that explanation, though. We're going with in-universe explanations, not just behind-the-scenes, here.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 am

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:You're right, I've only ever seen him speak with a British accent, so please forgive my oversight.
That's only an explanation in that it's a reference to the role that made him famous. The thing about it is that it STILL doesn't make any sense in-universe even WITH that explanation, though. We're going with in-universe explanations, not just behind-the-scenes, here.
I'm actually referring to the behind the scenes creative decision made :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:38 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I'm actually referring to the behind the scenes creative decision made :thumbup:
My point still stands.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:43 am

Can't wait for the Black arc to hear more of Marsters! Sabat said not to worry about Goku Black & we'll like it, I trust him and I ain't.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 am

[spoiler]I actually love the idea of Black speaking with a different accent to Goku, due to being Zamasu's mind with Goku's vocal chords. British accents for villains may be an overdone trope, but that's because it somehow works really well so I'm not complaining about that choice either.[/spoiler]

Also, terrible news about Chris Ayres. Hope he'll be okay.

If a replacement is needed, I really do think Little Kuriboh, with some adjustment of his Freeza voice (lowering the pitch, mostly), could pull off a good serious Freeza. I love both of their takes on the character.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:14 pm

I haven't seen much of the dub yet, but are they dubbing the Goku Black arc now?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I haven't seen much of the dub yet, but are they dubbing the Goku Black arc now?
Not yet, they're still on the Freeza arc. They have dubbed the recent Xenoverse 2 DLC, however, which has a lot of Goku Black arc content.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I haven't seen much of the dub yet, but are they dubbing the Goku Black arc now?
If you mean if they're dubbing and not airing then it's highly plausible they started dubbing the Black arc yes. Schemmel said he was on hiatus and resumed dubbing last month so presumably that hiatus was at the end of dubbing the Champa arc.