"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I have to say filling in for Chris Ayres can't be easy from anyone's perspective. Mills for the performance and Sabat for casting, but I'm impressed with what we got. It's not perfect, but it was a good performance all things considered. I like how Mills has his own take but its still very much the Kai-era dub Freeza. I do hope Ayres recovers and we can have him back for the Universal Survival arc, but if god forbid we can't Mills will suffice. So good to know we have two solid English Freezas. [spoiler]....potentially three, hope whoever can bring Ocean Kai out of its vault is reading.[/spoiler]
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Not honestly too keen about Daman Mills as Frieza: his "You're always more fun" delivery seemed a bit forced, the impression itself is OK, but his performance doesn't really live up to the grand one Chris Ayres established to me thus far.

I'm in the minority as well here, but honestly, not a big fan of his voice acting here: I too hope Chris Ayres recovers so Plan B doesn't last too long or permanently.
Last edited by Singh is King on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm so glad we have the Bang Zoom dub now especially with Derek Stephen Prince (an actor with actual talent might I add) as Freeza. I may do a fan edit where I replace Mills with Prince. By the way Mr. Mark I am a very passionate fan which is why I think FUNi made a mistake here. I hate when good actors are replaced with actors who can't act. It happened with Pokémon 11 years ago and it's happening again here with Freeza.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Singh is King wrote:Not honestly too keen about Daman Mills as Frieza: his "You're always more fun" delivery seemed a bit forced, the impression itself is OK, but his performance doesn't really live up to the grand one Chris Ayres established to me thus far.

I'm in the minority as well here, but honestly, not a big fan of his voice acting here: I too hope Chris Ayres recovers so Plan B doesn't last too long or permanently.
It is a bit unfair to judge him on this episode as he had to mimic Ayres as Ayres was still doing stuff in the very episode! Similar to Tipton's Trunks I think we should wait and give him the opportunity to make the voice his own. So I think we as fans owe Mills at least that don't you think?
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I'm so glad we have the Bang Zoom dub now especially with Derek Stephen Prince (an actor with actual talent might I add) as Freeza. I may do a fan edit where I replace Mills with Prince. By the way Mr. Mark I am a very passionate fan which is why I think FUNi made a mistake here. I hate when good actors are replaced with actors who can't act. It happened with Pokémon 11 years ago and it's happening again here with Freeza.
You may do fan edit, but there is no material for you edit...as the BZ dub is MIA as no one has recorded it!

Also I feel you are being too harsh, it cannot be easy for an actor no matter how experienced brought in to fill for an fellow actor on the same episode! Especially this abrupt.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Yep, he can't act because apparently he's a jerk in real life according to pokemon fans, seems legit.

I personally still need to hear more of him in the role, but from what little I did hear I found nothing particularity wrong or bad in the delivery. Sure it's not exactly the same delivery as what Chris would do, but that is to be expected.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:58 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Yep, he can't act because apparently he's a jerk in real life according to pokemon fans, seems legit.

I personally still need to hear more of him in the role, but from what little I did hear I found nothing particularity wrong or bad in the delivery. Sure it's not exactly the same delivery as what Chris would do, but that is to be expected.
Eh, his acting has not been very stellar in or outside of Pokemon from what I've heard of his Media Blasters work either, so I'm also disappointed in FUNi's choice here to have Mills understudy Ayres, but his delivery can use some work, I'm lukewarm on his VA work regardless of my opinion on him as a person. Regardless, I do hope Mills fine tunes his performance, it has potential but the delivery could use work in places imo.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Singh is King wrote:Not honestly too keen about Daman Mills as Frieza: his "You're always more fun" delivery seemed a bit forced, the impression itself is OK, but his performance doesn't really live up to the grand one Chris Ayres established to me thus far.

It is a bit unfair to judge him on this episode as he had to mimic Ayres as Ayres was still doing stuff in the very episode! Similar to Tipton's Trunks I think we should wait and give him the opportunity to make the voice his own. So I think we as fans owe Mills at least that don't you think?
Tipton as Trunks, I found to be a very seamless replacement for Bailey, but this doesn't quite hit that mark for me as an initial impression: of course I'll give him a chance, but I'm not keen on this casting choice and the performance as is doesn't leave me elated, either (I don't hate it, but I don't particularly love it either, so far).
Last edited by Singh is King on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I'm so glad we have the Bang Zoom dub now especially with Derek Stephen Prince (an actor with actual talent might I add) as Freeza. I may do a fan edit where I replace Mills with Prince. By the way Mr. Mark I am a very passionate fan which is why I think FUNi made a mistake here. I hate when good actors are replaced with actors who can't act. It happened with Pokémon 11 years ago and it's happening again here with Freeza.
You may do fan edit, but there is no material for you edit...as the BZ dub is MIA as no one has recorded it!

Also I feel you are being too harsh, it cannot be easy for an actor no matter how experienced brought in to fill for an fellow actor on the same episode! Especially this abrupt.
Once I get the materials I will.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Well I guess Chris Ayers gave him some acting pointers because he seems to have studied his portrayal at least somewhat. I doubt Chris Sabat or whoever would hire him unless he was impressed with him. I don't watch Pokemon so I have no say on those matters, only that I like what I'm hearing so far with his Freeza.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:09 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Well I guess Chris Ayers gave him some acting pointers because he seems to have studied his portrayal at least somewhat. I doubt Chris Sabat or whoever would hire him unless he was impressed with him. I don't watch Pokemon so I have no say on those matters, only that I like what I'm hearing so far with his Freeza.
I'll say this his character called his Pokémon the wrong name.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Wait what? What does this even mean and what does it have to do with his acting?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Wait what? What does this even mean and what does it have to do with his acting?
Poor direction for one. He called a Houndour, Houndoom his evolved form.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Ok, well a actor certainly can't be blamed for something that is the directors fault, or script errors, or anything else that are beyond there control.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:52 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Wait what? What does this even mean and what does it have to do with his acting?
The Pokemon dub actually didn't have a director for a little while.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 pm

TheAldella wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:
That particular episode was one of them.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 am

Ok you are having way too much of a hateboner dude. Calm down.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:12 am

Here's a higher quality upload of Daman's Frieza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebPM73k5U0
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 am

TheAldella wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:
Where can I find more info on this? I'm interested
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:07 am

If anyone has received Part One BD mind snapping pics of the back and inside cover?

Decided I'll wait until October and buy Part 1&2 together.

Tidbit-
RS are out of stock already and it's #1 best selling on Amazon... A retelling set this is btw. Super's success cannot be denied!! Plenty of people love the show.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 pm

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:07 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I think that Daman Mills' Freeza is just meh. It was jarring within the episode to go from The amazing Chris Ayres to the meh Daman Mills. As far as soundalikes go he's OK, but not as good as Alexis Tipton is as Trunks. There is a personal reason though why I don't like him. He is very notorious in the Pokémon fan base for being very rude to people who don't like the current English dub and will attack anyone who doesn't like his BFF Michele Knotz as Jessie. Yes I know separate the person from the art, but this is one of the few times where I can't. I really hope Chris Ayres gets better soon so we can hear him in the Universal Survival arc otherwise Daman will have to really fine-tune the voice in order to please people who like Chris Ayres. To me the only thing he has going for him is that at least it isn't Linda Young again.
So, you basically hate Mills' performance because he's a jerk? That's a dumb reason to not like a performance.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.