"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:23 am

Z&G sound great!

I maybe wrong but I don't think our next break is until May.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Trunks and Mai are cozying together watching the stars at the end of BoG
Mai calls Trunks her boyfriend in the beginning of RoF
Toei removed all instances of the Trunks/Mai shipping from their remakes of the movies, and that made it awkward when the FT arc script had their shipping as part of the story
Huh. Never noticed those in the movies. Guess I'll have to rewatch them then.
I'll never understand why Toei made it a point to remove their relationship/shipping. Maybe they didn't like it?
They can't write Goku's character passed him being a manchild as opposed to how he's actually supposed to be, so I don't know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Whelp, Zamasu may be ruined in the dub. I know it's early, but couldn't they hire a talented VA?

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 pm

precita wrote:Whelp, Zamasu may be ruined in the dub. I know it's early, but couldn't they hire a talented VA?
Knee-jerk reaction much? The episode hasn't even aired yet.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Zamasu and Gowasu sounds great in the dub.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Whaaaaaat. A flashblack/plot point to the Copy Vegeta arc? But but but I thought it was "filler"?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Vale has this strange ability to make Trunks sound constantly smarmy, sarcastic, annoyed, and overall just unlikeable, when that's completely out of character. He's supposed to be humble and respectful in these recent scenes, yet I think he just kinda comes off as a little shithead in a lot of the quieter moments, like the one ice cream scene I saw from 52. There was just no chemistry whatsoever between him and Hebert as Gohan in that scene. Really not a fan of modern Vale.

Also, Gowasu sounds AWFUL. My god, that is just genuinely bad acting, no two ways about it. Zamasu....sounds fine I guess. The voice actor doesn't capture the youth that Zamasu has but I feel like he'll nail the holier-than-thou pretentiousness pretty well.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Artorias wrote:Vale has this strange ability to make Trunks sound constantly smarmy, sarcastic, annoyed, and overall just unlikeable, when that's completely out of character. He's supposed to be humble and respectful in these recent scenes, yet I think he just kinda comes off as a little shithead in a lot of the quieter moments, like the one ice cream scene I saw from 52. There was just no chemistry whatsoever between him and Hebert as Gohan in that scene. Really not a fan of modern Vale.

Also, Gowasu sounds AWFUL. My god, that is just genuinely bad acting, no two ways about it. Zamasu....sounds fine I guess. The voice actor doesn't capture the youth that Zamasu has but I feel like he'll nail the holier-than-thou pretentiousness pretty well.
Some people are just determined to constantly shit all over this dub...It's pathetic... :roll:

SaiyanSoul

Post by SaiyanSoul » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Let's just hope we get Kevin Conroy as Jiren.
PSN Tag: FalconDeathPunch

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:16 pm

MrTennek wrote:
Artorias wrote:Vale has this strange ability to make Trunks sound constantly smarmy, sarcastic, annoyed, and overall just unlikeable, when that's completely out of character. He's supposed to be humble and respectful in these recent scenes, yet I think he just kinda comes off as a little shithead in a lot of the quieter moments, like the one ice cream scene I saw from 52. There was just no chemistry whatsoever between him and Hebert as Gohan in that scene. Really not a fan of modern Vale.

Some people are just determined to constantly shit all over this dub...It's pathetic... :roll:
So people aren't allowed to criticize the dub?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:44 pm

MrTennek wrote:

I'm not "determined" whatsoever. I usually DEFEND the dub. Just because I'm shitting on it this ONE TIME doesn't mean anything. Try understanding who you're talking about before you start throwing shade.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whaaaaaat. A flashblack/plot point to the Copy Vegeta arc? But but but I thought it was "filler"?
What do you mean by this?
Caulifla best girl! :)

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:41 pm

MrTennek wrote:Some people are just determined to constantly shit all over this dub...It's pathetic... :roll:
You should be open for other points of view, man.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:54 am

I don't know what it is about Gowasu's dub voice but it makes me laugh. Hoping it's better during the actual episode.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whaaaaaat. A flashblack/plot point to the Copy Vegeta arc? But but but I thought it was "filler"?
He's sarcastically pointing out that the anime references previous scenes even though some detractors called those scenes filler.
Of course he's discussed this many times before, but seeing it in the dub again, apparently compelled him to post this aimless, non-contributory remark even though there are no detractors in sight and there was no discussion about it for at least the last couple of pages.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
He's sarcastically pointing out that the anime references previous scenes even though some detractors called those scenes filler.
Of course he's discussed this many times before, but seeing it in the dub again, apparently compelled him to post this aimless, non-contributory remark even though there are no detractors in sight and there was no discussion about it for at least the last couple of pages.
So, it's a...Big-Lipped Alligator Moment!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 am

Apparently, someone went and extracted clips from the latest Xenoverse 2 update. Meet dub Jiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeGtKlFlHiM

Not bad if legit. Kind of sounds more like I'd expect Toppo to sound though.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:51 am

What's up with Eric Vales voice nowadays? It's beyond raspy and makes me feel uncomfortable. His performance In Z was way better, It sounded natural too.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 am

Kataphrut wrote:Apparently, someone went and extracted clips from the latest Xenoverse 2 update. Meet dub Jiren:

Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Apparently, someone went and extracted clips from the latest Xenoverse 2 update. Meet dub Jiren:

Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.
Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/