"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Can someone with the Part 2 Blu-ray confirm if this is true?
Nope, that must be photoshopped.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:09 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Can someone with the Part 2 Blu-ray confirm if this is true?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Nope, that must be photoshopped.
Yeah strangely people seem to be uploading the broadcast episodes with OP and EDs by Groot and then adding his credit in after. The whole thing is bizarre to me, seems extra effort for no reason at all.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Anime News Network reviewed Part 1 of Dragon Ball Super.

Here's how they graded it:
Overall (dub) : B-
Overall (sub) : B-
Story : B-
Animation : C+
Art : C+
Music : B-

Okora

Post by Okora » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:06 am

HeroR wrote:
Okora wrote: Yes and no. The thing about xenoverse is that they couldn't actually edit it to make the lip flaps work it didn't have to do with direction. And for xenoverse the english scrip was very rushed I think Schemmel said on twitter that they only had a few days to record everything
TFS talked about their experience. They more or less said they were handed a script and told to read with no context.
Tfs did the voices of time patrollers not the actual storyline scripts. But thats not really my point my point was the lipsinking issue had nothing to do with the direction it was because they didn't edit any of the cutscenes

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 am

Okora wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Okora wrote: Yes and no. The thing about xenoverse is that they couldn't actually edit it to make the lip flaps work it didn't have to do with direction. And for xenoverse the english scrip was very rushed I think Schemmel said on twitter that they only had a few days to record everything
TFS talked about their experience. They more or less said they were handed a script and told to read with no context.
Tfs did the voices of time patrollers not the actual storyline scripts. But thats not really my point my point was the lipsinking issue had nothing to do with the direction it was because they didn't edit any of the cutscenes
It isn't just TFS. The Funi cast said more or less the same thing.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Hmm seems Hakai will be left untranslated if this is anything to go by:
https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/ ... 4652770304

Like kamehameha and Kaioken think it's a good choice to leave this untranslated.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

It seems as though Italy are currently airing the Future Trunks Arc, France start in a few weeks and even Latin America are about to start - the latter surprises me, as I don't think I've ever known their dubs air before Funimation's.

Looks like that Simuldub is coming then lol. Joking aside though, I honestly believe they are up to something.

Toei won't want the English dub too far back - it is Funi's biggest license, perhaps the only one they would really want Simuldubbed if possible.

It isn't as if Chris Sabat is doing a lot right now - Restaurant to another world is done, MHA is now done, so that leaves just Super, and Rawly Pickens is also directing, so it is entirely plausible they are simuldubbing.

Burgmeier and Hedges haven't had any further work recently, either - it has to be because they have been told to only work on Super, as they were 70 odd episodes behind.
This would require them to dub a season (26 episodes) over the course of 8 weeks, a schedule similar to home video recording ala One Piece, and they'd be up to date before the end of this year.
Then of course, they'd need to mix it all, then put it on Funinow.

At the start of June, Eric Vale randomly signed into his facebook page - which he had been abscent for years - and changed his cover photo to Goku, Trunks and Vegeta. Hasn't been seen since.

Forneverworld creates a Youtube video in early April saying something huge was about to happen for Super and it was in relation to a dub.
I interpret that as they were about to start dubbing on a schedule in order to catch up.
At the start of July, Schemmel mentions recording for episode 47 at Anime Expo.

That would suggest they dubbed Champa around April through May, then started Future Trunks in June, following a brief hiatus.
They are now likely dubbing the current season (if I'm right) we'll have to wait.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:00 pm

The Part One Blu-ray I ordered had shrink wrap covering the slip cover. Each disc holder has eight teeth instead of three. Goku is displayed on both discs one and two (no Beerus on two). The undersides of the discs are black. The slip cover is still holographic. Am I correct in assuming I got a bootleg? I didn't expect those to be a thing yet, considering it was only released in July. I didn't find any Google results regarding Part One bootlegs, either.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:06 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:The Part One Blu-ray I ordered had shrink wrap covering the slip cover. Each disc holder has eight teeth instead of three. Goku is displayed on both discs one and two (no Beerus on two). The undersides of the discs are black. The slip cover is still holographic. Am I correct in assuming I got a bootleg? I didn't expect those to be a thing yet, considering it was only released in July. I didn't find any Google results regarding Part One bootlegs, either.
Pictures?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:18 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:The Part One Blu-ray I ordered had shrink wrap covering the slip cover. Each disc holder has eight teeth instead of three. Goku is displayed on both discs one and two (no Beerus on two). The undersides of the discs are black. The slip cover is still holographic. Am I correct in assuming I got a bootleg? I didn't expect those to be a thing yet, considering it was only released in July. I didn't find any Google results regarding Part One bootlegs, either.
Viz does the same stuff with putting the shrinkwrap over the slipcovers of their releases, maybe FUNi's started doing the same thing. They've also changed the cases they use to ship the discs of the One Piece sets slightly, plus, it's not unheard of for companies to use different kinds of disc cases over a while. It might've been a side effect of them switching up the cases they use in the packaging process. Watch an unboxing video & compare. If all that's different os the disc holders on the case, then your fine. You did order it from a first party seller, right? If so, then you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Now, I only argue differently with this next one to offer a different perspective.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Toei won't want the English dub too far back - it is Funi's biggest license, perhaps the only one they would really want Simuldubbed if possible.
Perhaps, though considering the large amount of characters in the Universe Survival Arc reaches next to One Piece levels, it'd be very hard, or next to impossible/improbable, depending on who they cast. Don't get me wrong, I like thinking positively about these things, but I'm also a realist.
DBZ_Lee wrote:It isn't as if Chris Sabat is doing a lot right now - Restaurant to another world is done, MHA is now done, so that leaves just Super, and Rawly Pickens is also directing, so it is entirely plausible they are simuldubbing.
He's still doing his regular roles in some of the shows they're dubbing, so it's not like he's doing nothing. Though, he's most likely directing the Future Trunks Arc at the very least. Maybe he's also watching the Super simulcast for the current arc, though he has stated that he prefers to binge longrunners that have arcs after their done, which I don't blame him for, as I feel the same way with many shows.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Burgmeier and Hedges haven't had any further work recently, either - it has to be because they have been told to only work on Super, as they were 70 odd episodes behind.
This would require them to dub a season (26 episodes) over the course of 8 weeks, a schedule similar to home video recording ala One Piece, and they'd be up to date before the end of this year.
Yeah, but it's not like they're going to. Seeing as the TV broadcast has gone passed the initial 26 episodes they said they had the rights to in December, we can assume that, while they're working on future episode scripts, FUNi's not gonna force them to go overtime just to try to simuldub the show.
DBZ_Lee wrote:At the start of June, Eric Vale randomly signed into his facebook page - which he had been absent for years - and changed his cover photo to Goku, Trunks and Vegeta. Hasn't been seen since.
Probably because he got word that they were gonna have him dub Future Trunks' lines in the arc soon & he wanted to update it, nothing more.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Forneverworld creates a Youtube video in early April saying something huge was about to happen for Super and it was in relation to a dub.
I interpret that as they were about to start dubbing on a schedule in order to catch up.
Could be, but he hasn't elaborated on what he was excited about. What it could actually be is him excited about castings, release schedules, or something else. He did say he was excited about stuff coming up in the future, but never said much further than what he did. It could be anything, really.
For Sean, yeah, he most likely has recorded all his Goku/Goku Black/Vegito lines. He's most likely the person that records the majority of his dialogue before the others, since he both lives in California & apparently records his dialogue over the internet, minus his screams I assume. I think he said on Twitter, or at least hinted, that he records his screams in Texas towards the end of recording the arcs, which is how Sabat tends to record the DB dubs, as Chris Ayres has said, which is smart.
DBZ_Lee wrote:That would suggest they dubbed Champa around April through May, then started Future Trunks in June, following a brief hiatus.
They are now likely dubbing the current season (if I'm right) we'll have to wait.
Highly likely. It would make sense since, unlike their Japanese counterparts, they have the added bonus of recording the arcs in chunks after the scriptwriting is complete for them. The they have to finalize everything with the mixers.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hmm seems Hakai will be left untranslated if this is anything to go by:

Like kamehameha and Kaioken think it's a good choice to leave this untranslated.
Well, "Kamehameha," though it translates to something, I'm sure, is actually a reference to one of Hawaii's rulers, so it makes sense on multiple levels. "Kaioken" as well makes more sense to leave untranslated, since "World King fist," or "King Kai Fist" is just stupid, not that mispronouncing it as "Kayoken" is any better though.
Okora wrote:
HeroR wrote:
As the other guy said, TFS, specifically Lani, Taka, & Kaiser, were a part of the cast, & they helped Taka to do his recordings in Xenoverse 1, & they had to go through the same process, just not as extensive as the rest of the cast. They've stated that they, & everyone else, were only instructed to match the Japanese timings rather than do their own interpretations to the cutscenes. This is why the lip movements don't match the English dialogue better. Chris Rager similarly complained in his interview with Geekdom101 from last year. He specifically said that he wanted Bandai Namco to send them the cutscenes to dub rather than just the dialogue so they, "don't look like shit," as he said.
And here's the thing, many game developers actually care to match the lip movements to the various dubs of their games. Bandai Namco just don't care apparently, since the same shit has been happening in the Naruto games & that's if the games are lucky enough to get dubs at all. The last One Piece games didn't & neither did J-Stars, which I'm doubting rights issues were the reason, since Video Game, Comic, TV Show, & Movie rights are completely different & nothing was holding them back from doing it if they could release the game overseas without a problem other than them not wanting to do it. They could have even released a free downloadable voice pack & patched the game to use it if they wanted to do it. With the DLC they have, you download it & it just acts like keys to let you access what they patch into the games anyways, judging from how many megabytes/kilobytes they are, so any new castings in the future could easily be patched out, but I guess they're a bit too cheap.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Viz does the same stuff with putting the shrinkwrap over the slipcovers of their releases, maybe FUNi's started doing the same thing. They've also changed the cases they use to ship the discs of the One Piece sets slightly, plus, it's not unheard of for companies to use different kinds of disc cases over a while. It might've been a side effect of them switching up the cases they use in the packaging process. Watch an unboxing video & compare. If all that's different os the disc holders on the case, then your fine. You did order it from a first party seller, right? If so, then you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Now, I only argue differently with this next one to offer a different perspective.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Toei won't want the English dub too far back - it is Funi's biggest license, perhaps the only one they would really want Simuldubbed if possible.
Perhaps, though considering the large amount of characters in the Universe Survival Arc reaches next to One Piece levels, it'd be very hard, or next to impossible/improbable, depending on who they cast. Don't get me wrong, I like thinking positively about these things, but I'm also a realist.
DBZ_Lee wrote:It isn't as if Chris Sabat is doing a lot right now - Restaurant to another world is done, MHA is now done, so that leaves just Super, and Rawly Pickens is also directing, so it is entirely plausible they are simuldubbing.
He's still doing his regular roles in some of the shows they're dubbing, so it's not like he's doing nothing. Though, he's most likely directing the Future Trunks Arc at the very least. Maybe he's also watching the Super simulcast for the current arc, though he did state he prefers to binge longrunners that have arcs after their done, which I don't blame him for, as I feel the same way with many anime shows.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Burgmeier and Hedges haven't had any further work recently, either - it has to be because they have been told to only work on Super, as they were 70 odd episodes behind.
Yeah, but it's not like they're going to. Seeing as the TV broadcast has gone passed the initial 26 episodes they said they had the rights to in December, we can assume that, while they're working on future episode scripts, FUNi's not gonna force them to go overtime just to try to simuldub the show.
DBZ_Lee wrote:At the start of June, Eric Vale randomly signed into his facebook page - which he had been absent for years - and changed his cover photo to Goku, Trunks and Vegeta. Hasn't been seen since.
Probably because he got word that they were gonna have him dub Future Trunks' lines in the arc soon & he wanted to update it, nothing more.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Forneverworld creates a Youtube video in early April saying something huge was about to happen for Super and it was in relation to a dub.
Could be, but he hasn't elaborated on what he was excited about. What it could actually be is him excited about castings, release schedules, or something else. He did say he was excited about stuff coming up in the future, but never said much further than what he did. It could be anything, really.
For Sean, yeah, he most likely has recorded all his Goku/Goku Black/Vegito lines. He's most likely the person that records the majority of his dialogue before the others, since he both lives in California & apparently records his dialogue over the internet, minus his screams I assume. I think he said on Twitter, or at least hinted, that he records his screams in Texas towards the end of recording the arcs, which is how Sabat tends to record the DB dubs, as Chris Ayres has said, which is smart.
DBZ_Lee wrote:That would suggest they dubbed Champa around April through May, then started Future Trunks in June, following a brief hiatus.
Highly likely. It would make sense since, unlike their Japanese counterparts, they have the added bonus of recording the arcs in chunks after the scriptwriting is complete for them. The they have to finalize everything with the mixers.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hmm seems Hakai will be left untranslated if this is anything to go by:

Well, "Kamehameha," though it translates to something, I'm sure, is actually a reference to one of Hawaii's rulers, so it makes sense on multiple levels. "Kaioken" as well makes more sense to leave untranslated, since "World King fist," or "King Kai Fist" is just stupid, not that mispronouncing it as "Kayoken" is any better though.
Okora wrote:
HeroR wrote:
As the other guy said, TFS, specifically Lani, Taka, & Kaiser, were a part of the cast, & they helped Taka to his recordings in Xenoverse 1, & they had to go through the same process, just not as extensive as the rest of the cast. They've stated that they, & everyone else, were only instructed to match the Japanese timings rather than do their own interpretations to the cutscenes. This is why the lip movements don't match the English dialogue better. Chris Rager similarly complained in his interview with Geekdom101 from last year. He specifically said that he wanted Bandai Namco to send them the cutscenes to dub rather than just the dialogue so they, "don't look like shit," as he said.
And here's the thing, many game developers actually care to match the lip movements to the various dubs of their games. Bandai Namco just don't care apparently, since the same shit has been happening in the Naruto games & that's if the games are lucky enough to get dubs at all. The last One Piece games didn't & neither did J-Stars, which I'm doubting rights issues were the reason, since Video Game, Comic, TV Show, & Movie rights are completely different & nothing was holding them back from doing it if they could release the game overseas without a problem other than them not wanting to do it. They could have even released a free downloadable voice pack & patched the game to use it if they wanted to do it. The DLC they have you download just acts like keys to let you access what they patch into the games anyways, judging from how many megabytes/kilobytes they are so any new castings in the future could easily be patched out, but I guess they're a bit too cheap.
Sean records everything in LA
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:42 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Sean records everything in LA
And you couldn't have just quoted the one part where I said he didn't?

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:58 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Pictures?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:20 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Pictures?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Where/who did you order this from? The second disc is supposed to have Beerus, not another Goku, as can be seen here https://youtu.be/uYdmrJrw7V0?t=2m14s.
Not only that, but it seems like the lines aren't as dark as they should be. Yeah, I think you got a bootleg.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Scsigs wrote:
SSJ Electric Fury wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Pictures?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Where/who did you order this from? The second disc is supposed to have Beerus, not another Goku, as can be seen here https://youtu.be/uYdmrJrw7V0?t=2m14s.
Not only that, but it seems like the lines aren't as dark as they should be. Yeah, I think you got a bootleg.
The cover also looks faded and the Super logo and the discs doesn't look right. Looks like they used a BD-R disc which is 100% a red flag, damn man that is unlucky SSJ Electric Fury, hope you get a refund.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 pm

I can't remember if I asked or not but if I did the answer's buried with no notification about it by now and it's slightly better to ask with two sets out anyway
Is the Japanese Chouzetsu Dynamic on the part sets?
Either on the dub or sub audio track?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:I can't remember if I asked or not but if I did the answer's buried with no notification about it by now and it's slightly better to ask with two sets out anyway
Is the Japanese Chouzetsu Dynamic on the part sets?
Either on the dub or sub audio track?
Yes. It's in Japanese on both the Japanese and English tracks. The ED songs are all dubbed on the English track, however.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Interesting that you guys say those. I was about to ask if it weirded anyone else out that they use the Engrish version for the TV broadcast, but switch back to Japanese for the home releases. Does it? I mean, it's kinda inconsistent. I'd love to have it on there, but if they started doing it with the 3rd set, it'd be even weirder because it'd be a further inconsistency.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Scsigs wrote:Interesting that you guys say those. I was about to ask if it weirded anyone else out that they use the Engrish version for the TV broadcast, but switch back to Japanese for the home releases. Does it? I mean, it's kinda inconsistent. I'd love to have it on there, but if they started doing it with the 3rd set, it'd be even weirder because it'd be a further inconsistency.
It's pretty common for funimation to dub openings of shows that are broadcast from what I've seen
Especially if they're geared towards younger audiences (ie: Kai, Super in its earlier time slots and One piece's earlier seasons)
But since I'm guessing the Japanese company that owns the song wouldn't let them, using the Japanese-produced alternate was the only other option

Glad to hear its Japanese on the sets at least

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Interesting that you guys say those. I was about to ask if it weirded anyone else out that they use the Engrish version for the TV broadcast, but switch back to Japanese for the home releases. Does it? I mean, it's kinda inconsistent. I'd love to have it on there, but if they started doing it with the 3rd set, it'd be even weirder because it'd be a further inconsistency.
It's pretty common for funimation to dub openings of shows that are broadcast from what I've seen
Especially if they're geared towards younger audiences (ie: Kai, Super in its earlier time slots and One piece's earlier seasons)
But since I'm guessing the Japanese company that owns the song wouldn't let them, using the Japanese-produced alternate was the only other option

Glad to hear its Japanese on the sets at least
That's not what I was talking about, though. I assume that they can put the Engrish version on the discs, it's just weird that they haven't. Yet they apparently have subtitles that are the lyrics to the Engrish version rather than a more direct translation of the Japanese version, though I do imagine the Engrish version is still pretty accurate in its translation, so I'm jsut thinking it's weird that they're not using it, even though they used the Engrish theme song & ending for Kai TFC, though they had no choice, since there weren't Japanese versions of them available due to TFC being put together specifically for overseas distribution in the first place.