"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:SSGSSKKx10 dubs comparison:

Schemmel easily wins, followed by the Italian dub, I love Nozawa but damn she sounds pretty lackluster here to be honest.
Not really. Nozawa still Top #1 as none of the others VAs surpassed her "JU BAI DA" scream with Castañeda coming close as #2, Schemmel screams were good but a bit over the top, I still would put him in #3 though.
Nozawa sounds like she's doing a generic power up and not something as intense as the 10x Kaioken. Compared to her work on Z it's incredibly lackluster. Her JuBaiDa cry has no intensity or weight to it at all.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:SSGSSKKx10 dubs comparison:

Schemmel easily wins, followed by the Italian dub, I love Nozawa but damn she sounds pretty lackluster here to be honest.
Not really. Nozawa still Top #1 as none of the others VAs surpassed her "JU BAI DA" scream with Castañeda coming close as #2, Schemmel screams were good but a bit over the top, I still would put him in #3 though.
Nozawa sounds like she's doing a generic power up and not something as intense as the 10x Kaioken. Compared to her work on Z it's incredibly lackluster. Her JuBaiDa cry has no intensity or weight to it at all.
That's definitely not true, her scream is intense and powerful. The whole point that guy made about the Kaioken putting the body under a lot of stress and the voice reflecting that makes sense, but is not something that's necessary and isn't something that we've seen out of Schemmel before when he's done the Kaioken in the past.

Personally I think they both sound great. People often forget Nozawa is 81 years old, but even with that factored in she still does an awesome job. I view Schemmel and Nozawa as equals and don't necessarily prefer one over the other, so that's also how I view this scene.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Asura wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
That's definitely not true, her scream is intense and powerful. The whole point that guy made about the Kaioken putting the body under a lot of stress and the voice reflecting that makes sense, but is not something that's necessary and isn't something that we've seen out of Schemmel before when he's done the Kaioken in the past.

Personally I think they both sound great. People often forget Nozawa is 81 years old, but even with that factored in she still does an awesome job. I view Schemmel and Nozawa as equals and don't necessarily prefer one over the other, so that's also how I view this scene.
She is awesome but I dunno after hearing Schemmel last week going back to Nozawa it felt off and Mark's video explained how I felt about it, I couldn't put my finger on why I felt that way until I watched the video.

I think the JPN vocal direction has been pretty poor on the whole to be honest, examples already given like Nakao voicing Frost the same as Freeza but even instances like Rumoosh's VA not matching what the character doing on screen the char seemed far more livelier than what the actor was doing (fortunately the character isn't important) there's also been many instances of lip flaps not matching. Miki as Z was good but there were instances where I felt he went a little too overboard. Also the "atatatatatata's". It's a far cry from the Z days even accounting the age of the cast. People were like the JPN VA were bored for Kai but I don't think so given DBS, I think it's the vocal direction.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Nozawa still has Goku Black. So far nobody has managed to match her.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: She is awesome but I dunno after hearing Schemmel last week going back to Nozawa it felt off and Mark's video explained how I felt about it, I couldn't put my finger on why I felt that way until I watched the video.

I think the JPN vocal direction has been pretty poor on the whole to be honest, examples already given like Nakao voicing Frost the same as Freeza but even instances like Rumoosh's VA not matching what the character doing on screen the char seemed far more livelier than what the actor was doing (fortunately the character isn't important) there's also been many instances of lip flaps not matching. Miki as Z was good but there were instances where I felt he went a little too overboard. Also the "atatatatatata's". It's a far cry from the Z days even accounting the age of the cast. People were like the JPN VA were bored for Kai but I don't think so given DBS, I think it's the vocal direction.
Don't think it is since even the most hardcore critics of Super said nothing about the vocal direction being off or bad, and these are from people who grew up with the subs, not the dubs. We even have people who lived in Japan like Herms who said nothing about the vocals. In fact, even the people who don't like Super praised the vocal work like with Zamasu. The only real criticisms I've heard about the voices are Kale and Zen'o. Nakao voicing Frost was more of a complaint on casting than his performance.

The "atatatatatata's" complaint is weird since for some reason this didn't become an issue until 90, now everyone suddenly notices it and get triggered. Lip flaps not matching is also more on animation.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: She is awesome but I dunno after hearing Schemmel last week going back to Nozawa it felt off and Mark's video explained how I felt about it, I couldn't put my finger on why I felt that way until I watched the video.

Don't think it is since even the most hardcore critics of Super said nothing about the vocal direction being off or bad, and these are from people who grew up with the subs, not the dubs. We even have people who lived in Japan like Herms who said nothing about the vocals. In fact, even the people who don't like Super praised the vocal work like with Zamasu. The only real criticisms I've heard about the voices are Kale and Zen'o. Nakao voicing Frost was more of a complaint on casting than his performance.

The "atatatatatata's" complaint is weird since for some reason this didn't become an issue until 90, now everyone suddenly notices it and get triggered. Lip flaps not matching is also more on animation.
So since it hasn't been critiqued before means I can't critique it or the subject can't be critiqued?

And I'm not saying performances or actors are bad just direction has been questionable, the voice direction team were responsible for casting Nakao as Frost and then having him sound the same, you're right it's not the actors fault and I'm not saying that I'm calling out the voice direction. Also I'm fairly sure the JPN cast record to finished or almost finished animation so there isn't an excuse to not match flaps. I already said Miki was good and besides Z and Black how often is vocal work praised in regular DBS discussion? Not very much.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: So since it hasn't been critiqued before means I can't critique it or the subject can't be critiqued?

And I'm not saying performances or actors are bad just direction has been questionable, the voice direction team were responsible for casting Nakao as Frost and then having him sound the same, you're right it's not the actors fault and I'm not saying that I'm calling out the voice direction. Also I'm fairly sure the JPN cast record to finished or almost finished animation so there isn't an excuse to not match flaps. I already said Miki was good and besides Z and Black how often is vocal work praised in regular DBS discussion? Not very much.
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say that at all.

I was making an objective statement that people who grew up with the sub or are very more familiar with the Japanese voice actors and actresses never said that Super's vocal direction was questionable outside of maybe Kale and Frost's casting. And these are the same people who were critical of Kai, so I see no reason for them not to have the same or similar complaints about Super if the same hold true here. Also as a nitpick, Nakao as Frost doesn't sound the same as Freeza or even Cooler. You can talk to someone more familiar with the subs about the subtile different because I remember the podcast here talked about it. Although even they admit that having Nakao do Frost wasn't the best casting choice.

Actually, the person who does Goku's voice said that animation and voice works are not always done at the same time and they some times do vocal work on incomplete episodes.

Also, the vocal work in Super is praised, but the reason you don't hear it a lot is because the Japanese's actors are expected to sound good. Like most things, people don't tend to say anything unless something is extremely bad or extremely good. Like you don't hear a lot about the voice work in One Piece, but fans will tell you that for all of the problems in the One Piece anime, the voice work isn't one of them and is one of the high points of the anime.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Asura wrote:
Scsigs wrote:So, um, anyne wanna discuss Totally Not Mark's video on the dub VS the sub? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtImDcJj4VE
I think he makes a lot of great points.
He makes some good points but I feel like his bias for the dub is quite obvious, especially evident by him saying no one cares about Magetta's voice and his JP voice is "stupid" anyway so it's good that it's been changed.
I'm more of the opinion that it doesn't matter what exactly they do with Magetta because the character doesn't matter, & doesn't speak worth a damn. His Japanese voice IS kinda just there because of those reasons.
My issue is the Microsoft Sam voice doesn't feel like it's coming from the show. It's very detached from what is happening. Heck, even if they did give that first, I'd probably still feel like the Microsoft Sam voice doesn't belong. Yeah, the "Shi-po!" is goofy and Magetta is just a throw away character. But it fits the show. It's not a big deal. But the change is strangely off-putting.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm

I am more curious if anyone asked Funi why they made the change. Like, was it because to make the joke that Magetta wasn't a robot, but everyone thought he was more apparent? Everyone is coming up with theories, instead of asking the people behind the change.
Kanassa wrote:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Okay, Episode 40, let's see how they handle this one. Only one more week left until we hear Zeno's voice (unless he talked in this episode, i forget, does he?) and fingers crossed they don't cut out the dick joke.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:51 pm

AAAAH!!! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!! OH MY GOSH!!!
Guys! Funimation just posted on their Twitter, an early look at Zeno's English voice, and.... Oh my gosh, he sounds so CUUUUUTE! I'll post it down here, so that you guys can hear the cuteness!

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 7757459457

PS: They spelled it as "Zeno", not "Zen-Oh".
Caulifla best girl! :)

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Galactic King: That's a, highly sensitive organ

So, Penis joke got changed I guess?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:AAAAH!!! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!! OH MY GOSH!!!
Guys! Funimation just posted on their Twitter, an early look at Zeno's English voice, and.... Oh my gosh, he sounds so CUUUUUTE! I'll post it down here, so that you guys can hear the cuteness!

Holy crap, they're going with Zen-Oh AND Omni King! That's... pretty dope!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:15 pm

WOW! she's awesome! so very close to the Japanese version, and that is perfect.
Zen-Oh and Omni King? I love this decision, great casting again from Mr. Sabat.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Sarah Wiedenheft is the actor lending her voice to this delightful abomination. Great casting choice, she makes him sound cute and just a bit creepy as well. I love the lines too. Lots of short, simple sentences. Very childlike.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 am

Zeno sounds so friggin cute. I just wanna hug the little shit.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:03 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:AAAAH!!! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!! OH MY GOSH!!!

Oh Kami! That voice is really CUTE! It almost made me want to hug the monitor.

I bet CureDragon255 will like it.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 am

Zen-Oh and Omni King? Oh I like this compromise. :mrgreen: Whoever the voice actor is, she sounds one-to-one with the Japanese, great casting.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 am

Great casting loved that entire clip. This week was also great, I don't think Super has put a foot wrong in terms of casting so far. My favourite new addition is still Ian Sinclair as Whis, so spot on to the Japanese and always acting perfectly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:39 am

nato25 wrote:Great casting loved that entire clip. This week was also great, I don't think Super has put a foot wrong in terms of casting so far. My favourite new addition is still Ian Sinclair as Whis, so spot on to the Japanese and always acting perfectly.
Except that Ian hasn't been "new" since 2014 when he was in Battle of Gods.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs