"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MrTennek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:17 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:That “It’s time to make the doughnuts” line did not fit at all. I get that they were referencing what he said in Xenoverse 2, but c’mon. It ruined a really cool and serious moment.
Yeah, that line was horrid. :sick:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 am

"Okay Matt, everyone said your version of Hit is way cooler than Aaron's and it's hurting his feelings."
"Oh, that's a shame."
"Yeah. So to make it square, we're gonna make you say the same stupid line we made him say."
"Why? It's completely out of character."
"People will think it's funny."
"Fine. Let's get this over with, I've got DnD on later."

I feel like I'm in one of those sitcoms where a character is defending his slacker best friend, and then it immediately cuts to the guy he's sticking up for doing something hilariously stupid.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:58 am

This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we're back to a point where I'm not even discussing the same show with someone who watched it dubbed.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 am

Ajay wrote:This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we're back to a point where I'm not even discussing the same show with someone who watched it dubbed.
I mean... I wouldn't say it's that bad, but they're certainly taking too many liberties here compared to something like Kai or Resurrection 'F'.

It's these awkwardly placed jokes and references that kinda hinder the experience for me. I just watch it and go "Ha... I get it. But a bunch of other people won't, so what's the point?" It just comes off as really unprofessional. They're having too much fun with this show. I won't completely write the dub off, but I do wish we had something more like Kai.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 am

Ajay wrote:This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

Bit of an exaggeration. It means exactly the same thing, "make some donuts" and "going to work". It's nothing like the 90s dub at all.

You're acting like they changed the line to make Hit say something completely different and wild it, retains the exact same meaning as the Japanese it's far from a "different show".

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:21 am

Okay, now I'm starting to understand why people are frustrated with the fashion of how FUNimation take liberties with how they dub Super.

There is a time and place where you make the occasional mention of a meme or throw in a punched up line or two, usually in a comedy oriented episode, but Episode 71 of Dragon Ball Super was not a comedy oriented episode. It's the episode where Hit fucking kills Goku. This is so not the kind of episode where spiced up dialogue should be inserted. It just creates a tonal disruption of the plot of the episode and ruins any drama that story is trying to create.

Seriously, how in the fuck do lines like, "Maildude", "Now it's time to do the donut," and "Do not interrupt the grill master" end up in a the English dub of a Dragon Ball anime in 2018? I mean, they were taking liberties before in Kai, Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F, but never to this jarring and inappropriate extent.

FUNimation are having too much fun with their dub of Super and need to tone this shit down, because with this mentality they have, I fear what will become of the Universal Survival arc when FUNimation start dubbing that arc. I swear to God, if they fool around with the dubbing of that arc as well...
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Bit of an exaggeration. It means exactly the same thing, "make some donuts" and "going to work". It's nothing like the 90s dub at all.

You're acting like they changed the line to make Hit say something completely different and wild it, retains the exact same meaning as the Japanese it's far from a "different show".
Hit didn’t quote 90’s/80’s ads in the Japanese version like some sort of jokester.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:28 am

People are overreacting. Some people actually like that kind of stuff. Not everyone is obsessed with purity of subtitles like most of you guys.

There are plenty of casual watchers who like the corny humor etc. it’s part of why dragon ball was popular in the 90s. Too many stuck up people who constantly indulge in Japanese anime/manga have a condescending attitude towards this stuff. Nobody is making you watch it.
How i predict the tournament will end:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:37 am

Funimation, you aren't funny. At all.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 am

TheOne wrote: People are overreacting. Some people actually like that kind of stuff. Not everyone is obsessed with purity of subtitles like most of you guys.

There are plenty of casual watchers who like the corny humor etc. it’s part of why dragon ball was popular in the 90s. Too many stuck up people who constantly indulge in Japanese anime/manga have a condescending attitude towards this stuff. Nobody is making you watch it.
Not overreacting when we just want a faithful product. Of course I get your point, but these jokes should be a thing of the past.

Why must the casual audience take priority over the people who actually keep interest and buy their stuff, are long-time fans and all? And they're not going to redub it either, so in 5 or 10 years from now when someone will want to rewatch Super dubbed, they'll have to go through the cringy jokes of the past.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Okay, now I'm starting to understand why people are frustrated with the fashion of how FUNimation take liberties with how they dub Super.

There is time and place where you make the occasional mention of meme or throw in a punched up line or two, usually in a comedy episode, but Episode 71 of Dragon Ball Super was not a comedy originated episode. It's the episode where Hit fucking kills Goku. This is so not the kind of episode where spiced up dialogue should be inserted. It just creates a tonal disruption of the plot of the episode and ruins any drama that story is trying to create.

Seriously, how in the fuck do lines like, "Maildude", "Now it's time to do the donut," and "Do not interrupt the grill master" end up in a the English dub of a Dragon Ball anime in 2018? I mean, they were taking liberties before in Kai, Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F, but never to this jarring and inappropriate extent.

FUNimation are having too much fun with their dub of Super and need to tone this shit down, because with this mentality they have, I fear what will become of the Universal Survival arc when FUNimation start dubbing that arc. I swear to God, if they fool around with the dubbing of that arc as well...
Episode 70 also reminded me of what they did to Magetta...

This dub honestly did not live up to anything they did in the previous movies and Kai. Every week it seems like they have to change something for the sake of changing it. “It’s just one or two lines!” Well, now it’s probably over a 100 lines.

And the show still has 60 episodes to go.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 am

MajinMan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Okay, now I'm starting to understand why people are frustrated with the fashion of how FUNimation take liberties with how they dub Super.

There is a time and place where you make the occasional mention of a meme or throw in a punched up line or two, usually in a comedy oriented episode, but Episode 71 of Dragon Ball Super was not a comedy oriented episode. It's the episode where Hit fucking kills Goku. This is so not the kind of episode where spiced up dialogue should be inserted. It just creates a tonal disruption of the plot of the episode and ruins any drama that story is trying to create.

Episode 70 also reminded me of what they did to Magetta...

This dub honestly did not live up to anything they did in the previous movies and Kai. Every week it seems like they have to change something for the sake of changing it. “It’s just one or two lines!” Well, now it’s probably over a 100 lines.

And the show still has 60 episodes to go.
Oh, they way they've handled Magetta as a whole in FUNi dub has been a goddamn travesty. Whoever decided that it would be the best for Magetta to have that synthesised text-speech voice should be fired. It's horrific.

Like I say before, I'm dreading about what they're gonna do in the Universal Survival (an arc that I REALLY like). If they start throwing in memes and shit in that arc, I'm so fucking done.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 am

It's an awful adaptation of a line, no doubt, and while it does technically mean the same thing in essence, the connotation that comes with the line completely devoids the scene with any of its proper gravitas; I immediately lost the tone of the scene with the reference, and while Funimation has taken liberties, that's been when appropriate. And to make it known, I've been entirely fond of Funimation taking liberties for Kai and the two theatrical films, it enriches and justifies the differences between the two mediums of sub and dub, but those liberties have always been at least faithful. However, this Hit instance... it's not particularly egregious. It's a throw-away line in a throw-away (but still strong) episode. Instances I find incredibly more insulting are with characters like Magetta, where a prominent secondary character is completely and utterly shafted for some sort of justification I'll never begin to understand. Genuinely, to this day, I continue to consider why in their right minds would a character be completely rewritten and replaced with something specifically contradictory to their origins. Hit's donut line is incredibly idiotic, but I can at least see the justification behind putting it in; there are plenty of other glaring dub changes I truly find more glaring.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

Lord Beerus wrote: FUNimation are having too much fun with their dub of Super and need to tone this shit down, because with this mentality they have, I fear what will become of the Universal Survival arc when FUNimation start dubbing that arc. I swear to God, if they fool around with the dubbing of that arc as well...
Why wouldn't they continue to mess with that arc as well? Chris Sabat is a huge fan of DBZA, and as long as he's in charge of the English dub, expect these types of alterations to stay where they are at best, or become more and more frequent at worst.
Last edited by DHM211 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:21 am

Will anyone still even remember this meme when they rewatch this dub ten years from now?
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 am

You guys need to relax, a few silly lines here and there shouldn't get you so upset. I thought some were kind of funny myself.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 am

Dogasu wrote:Will anyone still even remember this meme when they rewatch this dub ten years from now?
No. And that's what make the inclusion of that line all the more infuriatingly inappropriate and unnecessary. It's joke that meant to certain audience, but do that audience even watch the dub of Super every week?

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 am

That line sounds really dumb. Sounds like the dub sucks eh? I’ve been waiting on the season BRs before diving into the dub but god damn I don’t think I will now.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 am

TheOne wrote:Not everyone is obsessed with purity of subtitles like most of you guys.
You're watching the wrong show if you're not obsessed with retaining what the writers originally intended.

This is not Funimation's product to do with as they please.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Oh, they way they've handled Magetta as a whole in FUNi dub has been a goddamn travesty. Whoever decided that it would be the best for Magetta to have that synthesised text-speech voice should be fire. It's horrific.
Oh god, I forgot about that. Why the hell did they even "dub" Magetta? Other than Chu-Po, he doesn't say anything!