"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TRIZACK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TRIZACK wrote:Definitly looking forward to Goku's epic Blue transformation tonight even if the episode overall was the ugliest we've had in Super so far.
I still remember the exact moments of my life when watching #24 live when it aired in Japan. A fairly large family gathering was over and while everyone was trickling out, there I was exhausted and then decided to put the stream on and good lord it was painful, literally face palming and deeply sighing all over the place... yeah not great. I actually didn't hate #5 that much even pre BD corrections, I even made an avatar with gifs from #5 to show my support of it but #24 nope, just nope.
Yeah same I didn't complain about episode 5 and for the most part bad art here and there or bad animation doesn't really bother me. This episode was an exception to the rule for me. But the episode is saved by the transformation scene for me imo it's even better than the movie version.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:17 pm

TRIZACK wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TRIZACK wrote:Definitly looking forward to Goku's epic Blue transformation tonight even if the episode overall was the ugliest we've had in Super so far.
I still remember the exact moments of my life when watching #24 live when it aired in Japan. A fairly large family gathering was over and while everyone was trickling out, there I was exhausted and then decided to put the stream on and good lord it was painful, literally face palming and deeply sighing all over the place... yeah not great. I actually didn't hate #5 that much even pre BD corrections, I even made an avatar with gifs from #5 to show my support of it but #24 nope, just nope.
Yeah same I didn't complain about episode 5 and for the most part bad art here and there or bad animation doesn't really bother me. This episode was an exception to the rule for me. But the episode is saved by the transformation scene for me imo it's even better than the movie version.
I actually love the SSGSS transformation in the movie the music with the quite piano drove home the whole calmness factor of the transformation, I still remember when that scene played in the theatre's I had goosebumps! It wasn't over the top crazy with screams just so serene. Absolutely love it. Yamamuro did a good job there easily the best directed moment of the film, in my opinion.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TRIZACK wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I still remember the exact moments of my life when watching #24 live when it aired in Japan. A fairly large family gathering was over and while everyone was trickling out, there I was exhausted and then decided to put the stream on and good lord it was painful, literally face palming and deeply sighing all over the place... yeah not great. I actually didn't hate #5 that much even pre BD corrections, I even made an avatar with gifs from #5 to show my support of it but #24 nope, just nope.
I actually love the SSGSS transformation in the movie the music with the quite piano drove home the whole calmness factor of the transformation, I still remember when that scene played in the theatre's I had goosebumps! It wasn't over the top crazy with screams just so serene. Absolutely love it. Yamamuro did a good job there easily the best directed moment of the film, in my opinion.
I liked it too but the Blue theme in Super puts it a step up for me. Watching it now not quite as ugly as I remember so far but it still looks really rough.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 am

I didn't notice any really off-model shots in tonight's episode.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:14 am

Scsigs wrote:I didn't notice any really off-model shots in tonight's episode.
Are you being sarcastic??

This episode looks like it was made on Paint.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:34 am

Hit!! wrote:

You must have some serious skills with paint then
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:43 am

Hit!! wrote:

No. I, seriously, I didn't notice anything that was egregiously awful. Then again, I'm used to seeing the actual really bad shots in this show, so I don't know.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 am

Scsigs wrote:
Hit!! wrote:

No. I, seriously, I didn't notice anything that was egregiously awful. Then again, I'm used to seeing the actual really bad shots in this show, so I don't know.
Did you watch it on a TV? Because I've noticed that when you the episodes on TV you don't notice the bad art as much as you do when you watch it on your PC.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:55 am

Holy crap this dub is freaking amazing!!!!! The episode still looked bad but not as bad as I was expecting. The end with Freeza talking about SSGSS killed me :lol: brilliant.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 am

So apparently some people already have the first BD set, and this is what I know so far:
- Subtitles for the episodes were completely re-translated by Simmons (as opposed to using the subtitles from Crunchyroll), but for some reason the opening song's subtitles are still the lyrics for the Engrish version.
- Opening is in Japanese for both the dub and Japanese version.
- Ending song was dubbed.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 am

TRIZACK wrote: I liked it too but the Blue theme in Super puts it a step up for me. Watching it now not quite as ugly as I remember so far but it still looks really rough.
Yeah that theme is pretty great. And same experience for me regarding it's not as bad as I remember, I guess maybe since we were expecting it and the blow was lessened?
Puto wrote:So apparently some people already have the first BD set, and this is what I know so far:
- Subtitles for the episodes were completely re-translated by Simmons (as opposed to using the subtitles from Crunchyroll), but for some reason the opening song's subtitles are still the lyrics for the Engrish version.
Okay cool, opening in Japanese in both languages is awesome, and think we all expected Simmons to re-sub everything so cool on that too.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 am

Apparently the opening and ending subtitles match CR exactly, whereas the episodes themselves are completely retranslated.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Dragon Ball Super Part 1 is officially releasing in Australia! Still no TV airing of this show which is a goddamn shame. Was really hoping we'd get it sometime soon.

Still bugs me that Part 1 doesn't include Episode 14, which concludes the Battle of Gods arc. Really strange.
Maybe because Australia doesn't have many db fans?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:08 am

Shinda Forever wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Dragon Ball Super Part 1 is officially releasing in Australia! Still no TV airing of this show which is a goddamn shame. Was really hoping we'd get it sometime soon.

Still bugs me that Part 1 doesn't include Episode 14, which concludes the Battle of Gods arc. Really strange.
Maybe because Australia doesn't have many db fans?
Nah we've got plenty. Dragon Ball is pretty big here, to the point where both Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' got extended theatrical releases thanks to the amount of ticket sales the movies received here.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:09 am

Hey guys, Ajay posted the full English version of "Hello Hello Hello" on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/884065550279872512
Caulifla best girl! :)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:26 pm

So, time to ask who did the subs the best, Dragon Team, Toei, or Steve Simmons?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 pm

One guy complained that America couldnt handle songs about Backpacks or whatever, but here it is, clear as day.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Danfun64 wrote:So, time to ask who did the subs the best, Dragon Team, Toei, or Steve Simmons?
Definitely Simmons, DT subs can be incredibly clunky at times.

Anyway I doubt I'd ever watch Super subbed ever again when the BDs are out, so subs weren't really a big concern for me.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 am

Puto wrote:So apparently some people already have the first BD set, and this is what I know so far:
Do we get the next episode previews dubbed?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:40 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Do we get the next episode previews dubbed?
Why wouldn't we?