"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Here's what Frost and Cabba sound like for anyone who hasn't played XV2. Frost starts at 1:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7spLtuFnLM
Chapin is perfect can't see much need for change, but Ayres man I am really liking it! That Hohoho laugh is perfect! That has sold me! Can't wait to hear these guys with proper directionand all that, I was already fan of Liebrecht but he has gone up a whole new level in Super!
I really like Greg's take on Frost. If you listen you can definitely hear Frieza in him, but they don't literally have the same voice like the Japanese versions do.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:15 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Here's what Frost and Cabba sound like for anyone who hasn't played XV2. Frost starts at 1:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7spLtuFnLM
Chapin is perfect can't see much need for change, but Ayres man I am really liking it! That Hohoho laugh is perfect! That has sold me! Can't wait to hear these guys with proper directionand all that, I was already fan of Liebrecht but he has gone up a whole new level in Super!
I really like Greg's take on Frost. If you listen you can definitely hear Frieza in him, but they don't literally have the same voice like the Japanese versions do.
Yeah that's always bothered me about the JPN obvious I am hearing with English ears not Japanese but if there is any difference in inflections and such in Nakao's Frost then it isn't obvious. But it seems to be a pattern of Toei to have JPN cast members play similar roles or relatives, not sure why.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:14 pm

They got Mercer for Hit, huh? Cool.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:02 pm

The ED wasn't dubbed, so maybe they're waiting longer than 5 episodes, and Zuno was Daniel Penz and Geppuman was Vic Mignogna.

This episode was hilarious
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:16 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The ED wasn't dubbed, so maybe they're waiting longer than 5 episodes, and Zuno was Daniel Penz and Geppuman was Vic Mignogna.

Whoa. Well that's a surprise. Maybe it'll get dubbed next week. Also, how was Daniel Penz as Zuno?
Caulifla best girl! :)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The ED wasn't dubbed, so maybe they're waiting longer than 5 episodes, and Zuno was Daniel Penz and Geppuman was Vic Mignogna.

Whoa. Well that's a surprise. Maybe it'll get dubbed next week. Also, how was Daniel Penz as Zuno?
It's possible that they could be waiting longer to show the dub of it due to ED 3 not lasting as long as the other endings. Zuno was perfect, it's the type of voice that I expected him to have
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Just a quick reminder, guys, this week will be the debut of the *official* English version of "Light Pink/Usubeni", and no, it's probably not gonna be the JorporXx (Mark De Groot) version, unfortunately.

Why do I know this? Because knowing them, they always like to debut English covers of the endings 5 episodes after they already debuted.
Looks like you were wrong about this one...

Maybe next week?
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Edit- #33 title....
"Surprise, Universe 6! This Is Super Saiyan Son Goku!"
"Son"...
Ay, looks like they're going to use Son Goku again
I hope so. I can't imagine Zamasu addressing Goku without "Son" in front.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Kai marathon is next week. As for ED 3 not being dubbed honestly it should only be in Japanese as any English version won't be as good as Mark's.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Kinda nice that tonight's episode had a flashback to when Bulma was a toddler...but since most of the western public hasn't read the manga, and there isn't an OVA for Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, there's no real impact to that flashback.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Kai marathon is next week. As for ED 3 not being dubbed honestly it should only be in Japanese as any English version won't be as good as Mark's.
Does that mean no Super episode next week? :thumbdown:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 am

Did I mishear things or did they call Super Shenron Zalama in this episode? :think:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Did I mishear things or did they call Super Shenron Zalama in this episode? :think:
Yeah I heard that as well. Definitely a screw up. Hope they fix that before the Blu-ray releases.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:00 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Did I mishear things or did they call Super Shenron Zalama in this episode? :think:
Yeah I heard that as well. Definitely a screw up. Hope they fix that before the Blu-ray releases.
People should let Sabat know about it on Twitter

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:29 pm

How do you think Funimation will handle the new announced special ? it's a main part of the current arc so will they just released it alongside the normal episodes or give it its special release, making the actual show a bit disconnected ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:57 pm

sintzu wrote:How do you think Funimation will handle the new announced special ? it's a main part of the current arc so will they just released it alongside the normal episodes or give it its special release, making the actual show a bit disconnected ?
The "special" is just two new episodes that air airing back to back, so they'll be released as part of the show because they're two episodes of the show that FujiTV is just deciding to air back to back

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:01 am

sintzu wrote:How do you think Funimation will handle the new announced special ? it's a main part of the current arc so will they just released it alongside the normal episodes or give it its special release, making the actual show a bit disconnected?
If you're thinking of how they're doing the One Piece specials, those specials do not fall in between the episodes they aired with in Japan. This is why I'm fine with them having released the 2 Z specials in separate releases. They, technically, don't fall when they were aired continuity-wise, so having them separate makes sense, despite what MistareFusion might say. Even episodes from One Piece that are, technically, specials feel oddly disconnected when put in their original aired order on the home releases, mainly the Shiki/Movie 8 4-episode filler episodes is what I'm talking about here. Realistically, they should've been slotted in between Thriller Bark & Sabaody if you ask me. FUNi will do the same here, whether they're 2 separate episodes, or one double-length one when they dub & release them over a year from now, & release them in between the episodes they aired with. To not do so would be stupid.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:15 am

Scsigs wrote:If you're thinking of how they're doing the One Piece specials, those specials do not fall in between the episodes they aired with in Japan.
The difference is that Super's will introduce Goku's new form and start his final battle.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 am

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If you're thinking of how they're doing the One Piece specials, those specials do not fall in between the episodes they aired with in Japan.
The difference is that Super's will introduce Goku's new form and start his final battle.
This time, it isn't a "special" for One Piece, it's the same as Super - 2 episodes pretty much joined together.
The scene with Luffy and Sanji is from the manga.