"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
mint0h wrote:Wow, they ruined Zamasu's "Son Goku!" scream, er, in the dub's context, the "GOKU!" scream.
It's like they forget Goku has a family name.
I agree and though Masters was pulling a decent Zamasu on this arc, too bad he wasted the chance of turning this iconic like the original.
Again there is absolutely nothing iconic about a villain saying "Son Goku" it was the way Miki delivered it. If so then every time Jiren calls Goku "Son Goku" in the next arc is that supposed iconic? Is the dub gonna ruin Jiren because he isn't calling Goku "Son Goku".

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:02 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Again there is absolutely nothing iconic about a villain saying "Son Goku" it was the way Miki delivered it. If so then every time Jiren calls Goku "Son Goku" in the next arc is that supposed iconic? Is the dub gonna ruin Jiren because he isn't calling Goku "Son Goku".
Is not just the word said, but the moment: Jiren and Toppo made annoyingly repetitive, but back with Zamasu it was an arc reaching its climax, you could feel his hatred by screaming the protagonist full name, it was more imposing and menaceful.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Again there is absolutely nothing iconic about a villain saying "Son Goku" it was the way Miki delivered it. If so then every time Jiren calls Goku "Son Goku" in the next arc is that supposed iconic? Is the dub gonna ruin Jiren because he isn't calling Goku "Son Goku".
Is not just the word said, but the moment: Jiren and Toppo made annoyingly repetitive, but back with Zamasu it was an arc reaching its climax, you could feel his hatred by screaming the protagonist full name, it was more imposing and menaceful.
But again, does it really make any bit of difference whether he says "Son" or not? He's literally just yelling his name. That's it. It's the delivery that makes the line "iconic."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 pm

This is the second time the dub used the term “ Son of a bitch” :crazy:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
You can equally hear the hatred in the dub too, they just didn't say 'Son'. And from what I have seen, only the sub fans are complaining about the lack of 'Son', while most people loved the line. Along with Zamasu's 'I just want you dead!" line to Vegetto.
shadd21 wrote:This is the second time the dub used the term “ Son of a bitch” :crazy:

Given what happened, it feels like the right thing to say.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 pm

shadd21 wrote:This is the second time the dub used the term “ Son of a bitch” :crazy:
And? What's the problem? "Son of a bitch" is PG-levels of cursing. You people are acting like the characters are dropping f-bombs left right and center. :roll:

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:05 am

God I hate this episode, such a bizarre ending. I like moments from it, I just wish the circumstances surrounding them were different, all in all the farewell to Trunks is still nice. A part of me still wishes he stuck around in the present though, would have liked to see him and Gohan have a moment in the tournament.

Oh well, onto the Tournament of Power, but much more importantly the baseball episode. :wink:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:42 am

Damn, this made me realize Toppo's "Son Goku" line will be ruined in the dub. When he says it as Ultra Instinct Omen Goku is walking towards Jiren in 110

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:05 am

Indeed, Such a disrespectful term. Those guys are pathetic losers if they cannot even accept defeat with composure and elegance. Zamasu also lost several times, but it's not like he started throwing obscene insults at people. There is this thing called 'dignity'. But what do stupid mortals like them know. Sigh. I cannot be too mad at them. After all, petty insults were the only weapon they had against such an overwhelmingly powerful enemy.

Well, I am pretty sure that these losers never used that insult against Frieza, Cell or Buu, so this proves that Zamasu truly was the most dangerous and annoying villain for the protagonists. They couldn't even defeat him and had to retreat cowardly as Grand Zeno destroyed the entire timeline. So funny and miserable at the same time.

Rewatching this episode was such a breath of fresh air, and it felt so, so good. To watch Trunks pay dearly for that stupid asspull of the previous episode, of course.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:00 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Indeed, Such a disrespectful term. Those guys are pathetic losers if they cannot even accept defeat with composure and elegance. Zamasu also lost several times, but it's not like he started throwing obscene insults at people. There is this thing called 'dignity'. But what do stupid mortals like them know. Sigh. I cannot be too mad at them. After all, petty insults were the only weapon they had against such an overwhelmingly powerful enemy.

Well, I am pretty sure that these losers never used that insult against Frieza, Cell or Buu, so this proves that Zamasu truly was the most dangerous and annoying villain for the protagonists. They couldn't even defeat him and had to retreat cowardly as Grand Zeno destroyed the entire timeline. So funny and miserable at the same time.

Rewatching this episode was such a breath of fresh air, and it felt so, so good. To watch Trunks pay dearly for that stupid asspull of the previous episode, of course.
Thanks, I needed a good laugh. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:49 am

MrTennek wrote:
And? What's the problem? "Son of a bitch" is PG-levels of cursing. You people are acting like the characters are dropping f-bombs left right and center. :roll:
Exactly plus it's a nice change of pace from over using "bastard and damn". I generally don't like cursing but even I use "son of bitch" and "bastard" without feeling the need to censor.
Kaio_Krazy wrote:God I hate this episode, such a bizarre ending. I like moments from it, I just wish the circumstances surrounding them were different, all in all the farewell to Trunks is still nice. A part of me still wishes he stuck around in the present though, would have liked to see him and Gohan have a moment in the tournament.

Oh well, onto the Tournament of Power, but much more importantly the baseball episode. :wink:
Oh man definitely would have loved it if he stayed in the present or at least for the ToP.

The post Trunks arc episodes have a lot too look forward too actually:
More U6 bonding and more Goku and Hit relationship building (and that subtle UI tease).
Arale episode should be a tonne of fun.
Herbert doing some great Saiyaman shenanigans.
Finally some nice Goku and Krillin time.

Nice little package before we head into this massive arc.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 am

Why does Funimation keep adding dialogue? Trunks little message at the end about hope didn't exist at all in the original, he just said "Thanks everyone" and goodbye

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:18 am

I don't like how Funimation uses Herm's translation "Omni King" for Zenou. Of course "Omni" is right as "Omni" means "All" and Zenou means All King but I highly doubt they would have ever used that without it being a fan term present for so long now.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:30 am

Yup, still hate that ending. Such a nonsensical conclusion to that arc.

It wasn't even the timeline's erasure that annoyed me, but the whole restoration and "Two Trunks and Mais" bullshit. I mean, what the fuck?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Yup, still hate that ending. Such a nonsensical conclusion to that arc.

It wasn't even the timeline's erasure that annoyed me, but the whole restoration and "Two Trunks and Mais" bullshit. I mean, what the fuck?
Look, sometimes there's just nothing you can do against something as overwhelming as Infinite Zamasu. It's the most anti-DBZ ending ever, but...that's part of why it works. There are limits to what even Goku can do on his own; that's a good life lesson to learn.

As for Trunks, the lesson there is learning to make the best of what you've been dealt; even when your life comes apart. Again; very good lesson :) .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:53 pm

As for Trunks, the lesson there is learning to make the best of what you've been dealt; even when your life comes apart. Again; very good lesson :) .
The lesson here is learning not to travel through time. A lesson that the foolish Trunks learned the hard way, It would seem.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
The lesson here is learning not to travel through time. A lesson that the foolish Trunks learned the hard way, It would seem.
On the other hand, there's also an important lesson in learning when to quit, Zamasu. I mean, you technically won, but...

Was that abomination up there really what you wanted? To destroy the very thing you were trying to "purify" :P ?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 pm

MrTennek wrote:
Just a bit jarring I guess and the second time it happened in two episodes. Only because people aren't used to it.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:03 pm

I can’t wait for Vegeta to call Toppo a “candy ass faggot” in the Tournament of Power.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:57 pm

MrTennek wrote:
Honestly, I would argue that using the word “bitch” in a Dragon Ball dub is a bit out of place. Sure, it would be a lot worse if Mai dropped an f-bomb, but “bitch” still feels a bit too harsh for what is technically a kid’s show.