"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 pm

So, who's ready to watch Super Episode 43 on Toonami, after witnessing the big disappointment that was Super Episode 119? You know, to wash away the bad taste we got from that episode, with a cute Pan-centered episode.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, who's ready to watch Super Episode 43 on Toonami, after witnessing the big disappointment that was Super Episode 119? You know, to wash away the bad taste we got from that episode, with a cute Pan-centered episode.
Saw a preview of tonights dub episode. It looks like it's gonna be a bad one again like the last one. I'll still watch it because I don't mind being proven wrong in these cases, but I'm not setting my hopes high again until Future Trunks.

Edit: Ok, that line about Bulma's boobs being "too saggy" was HILARIOUS.

Also, is that Arale's original FUNi VA, or a new one? I've only really heard her in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 & that didn't sound like the annoying tone I remember. (Just found out that she had 2 different VAs between DB & BT3; Linda Young & Brina Palencia. Wonder which one it was for this episode).

Ok, this episode's turning out really good. It's DEFINITELY a step up from the last one. Piccolo's lines, & Sabat's delivery, are really good here.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, who's ready to watch Super Episode 43 on Toonami, after witnessing the big disappointment that was Super Episode 119? You know, to wash away the bad taste we got from that episode, with a cute Pan-centered episode.
Saw a preview of tonights dub episode. It looks like it's gonna be a bad one again like the last one. I'll still watch it because I don't mind being proven wrong in these cases, but I'm not setting my hopes high again until Future Trunks.

Also, is that Arale's original FUNi VA, or a new one? I've only really heard her in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 & that didn't sound like the annoying tone I remember. (Just found out that she had 2 different VAs between DB & BT3; Linda Young & Brina Palencia. Wonder which one it was for this episode).

Ok, this episode's turning out really good. It's DEFINITELY a step up from the last one. Piccolo's lines, & Sabat's delivery, are really good here.
Did you watched this episode when it originally aired. It's a fan favorite.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:41 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

No, I didn't. I don't keep up with the sub outside of watching clips on YouTube, or what I hear from others.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:24 am

I've been looking forward to this episode since the dub was announced how was it?

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Saw a preview of tonights dub episode. It looks like it's gonna be a bad one again like the last one. I'll still watch it because I don't mind being proven wrong in these cases, but I'm not setting my hopes high again until Future Trunks.

No, I didn't. I don't keep up with the sub outside of watching clips on YouTube, or what I hear from others.
what? what kind of dragon ball fan only watch dub and dont watch the new content?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm

puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:Did you watched this episode when it originally aired. It's a fan favorite.
what? what kind of dragon ball fan only watch dub and dont watch the new content?
Someone who doesn't care about the sub enough to tune in every week. I do the same with One Piece, where I wait to get the Collection sets so I can binge them. I'd do the same for Super if they didn't NEED the TV airings & could just release the show direct-to-DVD like One Piece. Hell, that's what I did with Kai. For the first 98 episodes, once I found out it was a thing, I got the season sets & binged, then did the same for TFC. Not just for anime either. I plan to binge the last 2 seasons of The Walking Dead once Season 8 gets on Netflix next year because I hate AMC's business practices when it comes to that show & the wait between episodes is so artificially done that I'd rather cut the wait time down.
I prefer the dub &, while I'll keep up with some things, I'd like to watch the dub when I watch the episodes for the first time. That's just how I am, sorry. I mean, I love DB as a piece of entertainment, but it's the same with all anime to me; I like to watch a good dub over the sub most of the time.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Loved Episode 43 back when I first watched it and I love it even more now in the English dub. When Goku yelled out "Pan" and started choking up, that really got to me. One of my favourite episodes.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:19 pm

All the scenes with Pan are incredibly heartwarming. I forgot how much I loved this episode. But man, Goku is one colossal asshole! :lol:

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:34 am

Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote: No, I didn't. I don't keep up with the sub outside of watching clips on YouTube, or what I hear from others.
Someone who doesn't care about the sub enough to tune in every week. I do the same with One Piece, where I wait to get the Collection sets so I can binge them. I'd do the same for Super if they didn't NEED the TV airings & could just release the show direct-to-DVD like One Piece. Hell, that's what I did with Kai. For the first 98 episodes, once I found out it was a thing, I got the season sets & binged, then did the same for TFC. Not just for anime either. I plan to binge the last 2 seasons of The Walking Dead once Season 8 gets on Netflix next year because I hate AMC's business practices when it comes to that show & the wait between episodes is so artificially done that I'd rather cut the wait time down.
I prefer the dub &, while I'll keep up with some things, I'd like to watch the dub when I watch the episodes for the first time. That's just how I am, sorry. I mean, I love DB as a piece of entertainment, but it's the same with all anime to me; I like to watch a good dub over the sub most of the time.
so your telling you still dident watched the future trunks arc?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:13 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:All the scenes with Pan are incredibly heartwarming. I forgot how much I loved this episode. But man, Goku is one colossal asshole! :lol:
How is Goku a colossal asshole here?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 am

A nicely dubbed episode, but my god one of the ugliest. A complete assault on the eyes.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 am

That episode was such a nice treat to watch dubbed after the disappointment that was the latest subbed episode. Schemmel nailed the sweetness of Grandpa Goku. I would say the same of Sabat as Piccolo, except I can't help but hear All Might when he goes into "dad mode" these days.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 am

puar wrote:so your telling you still didn't watched the future trunks arc?
I kept up with it & watched the episode with Vegito & clips on YouTube, but no, I didn't watch it in full yet.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 am

HeroR wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:All the scenes with Pan are incredibly heartwarming. I forgot how much I loved this episode. But man, Goku is one colossal asshole! :lol:
The way he was throwing shade at Bulma when he accidentally appeared in her bedroom. There was also some of it between him and King Kai. It was played purely for comedy of course.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
HeroR wrote:
The way he was throwing shade at Bulma when he accidentally appeared in her bedroom. There was also some of it between him and King Kai. It was played purely for comedy of course.
I think it was more of Goku being blunt with no tack than being an asshole. To me, asshole requires malice intent.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Loved Episode 43 back when I first watched it and I love it even more now in the English dub. When Goku yelled out "Pan" and started choking up, that really got to me. One of my favourite episodes.
Yup that was one of the scenes that struck me too! I also loved the Piccolo Goku talk. It's episodes like this that you realise why you love the show.

But like Asura said unfortunately the episode wasn't pleasant to look at.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm

saw it just now. what a usless episode. terrible. simply terrible. the dub was fine. besides the pilaf gang who are dubbed horribly and annoying as hell. well i guess that just another week until the future trunks arc

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But like Asura said unfortunately the episode wasn't pleasant to look at.
How so?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Loved Episode 43 back when I first watched it and I love it even more now in the English dub. When Goku yelled out "Pan" and started choking up, that really got to me. One of my favourite episodes.
Yup that was one of the scenes that struck me too! I also loved the Piccolo Goku talk. It's episodes like this that you realise why you love the show.

But like Asura said unfortunately the episode wasn't pleasant to look at.
It's passable at best. It's a victim of too many off model shots, unfortunately.