"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:54 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:They reused footage from Kai that showed Future Trunks with purple hair...so.....
Why? This wasn't on the original right? They have no reason to do so.
What? If you're referring to the reuse of footage, it was in the Japanese broadcast too. If you're not, what ARE you talking about?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:If you're referring to the reuse of footage, it was in the Japanese broadcast too.
This. My theory is that if Toei wanted to flash back to a scene that appeared in Kai, they reused the Kai footage. If Toei wanted to flash back to a scene that wasn't in Kai, they reanimated it for Super.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:23 pm

OK on Twitter people are going crazy (in a negative way) about this episode and the dub of Super in general. I don't even know what was so wrong about this weeks episodes. Added dialogue? Its to cover lip flaps. Changed dialogue? Nothing in the script is changing the overall story of the arc.
Maybe its the opposite, they wanted Faulconer back along with Mondo Cool and Hope of the universe.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
OK on Twitter people are going crazy (in a negative way) about this episode and the dub of Super in general. I don't even know what was so wrong about this weeks episodes. Added dialogue? Its to cover lip flaps. Changed dialogue? Nothing in the script is changing the overall story of the arc.
Maybe its the opposite, they wanted Faulconer back along with Mondo Cool and Hope of the universe.
I still get legitimately surprised any time I see someone complaining that they didn't bring Faulconer back
I thought we were past the era of Replacement soundtracks

Hell the only thing in recent memory that's had its soundtrack replaced internationally is Pokemon and that got a ton of backlash

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:13 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
I still get legitimately surprised any time I see someone complaining that they didn't bring Faulconer back
I thought we were passed the era of Replacement soundtracks

Hell, the only thing in recent memory that's had its soundtrack replaced internationally is Pokemon and that got a ton of backlash
The most recent incarnations of Yugioh & Digimon dubbed by 4K Media & Saban also had their soundtracks replaced as well, if I'm not mistaken. Hell, even Digimon Tri had 'Butter-Fly' replaced with a terrible song that tries to emulate the Digi Rap, but isn't even as 'so bad, it's good' as the Digi Rap, but only on the American releases. On the UK & Australian releases, they mixed 'Butter-Fly' back into the dub where it belongs. It's baffling that they did that, since Koji Wada fought off his cancer long enough to rerecord the song specifically for the films, so it's kinda disrespectful, no matter if they were trying to cater to the nostalgia of fans of the original series' dub (I also find 'Butter-Fly' to be a better song than the Digi Rap in general, so that doesn't help).
It's mainly that, though. Nostalgia brats upset & throwing tantrums that their outdated ways of anime dubbing aren't being upholded from a bygone era of replacement scores to save money on licensing costs. Falconer & FUNimation burned bridges years ago & no one but the most hardened dub fans love the Falconer music. I don't even have any interest in seeing the dub with the replacement music, but from the clips I've seen, it's bad synthesized music. Thankfully they didn't use it for Kai &, thankfully, they're not using it for Super either. No one's clamoring for the Falconer score besides those people, so why satiate them? Fandoms are vast & make absolutely no sense. Like, there are fangirls of Fall Out Boy & All Time Low that'll defend their latest albums to the death even though they're not good whatsoever, nor will they even entertain the ideas that they're bad. It's all stupid.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 am

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
I thought we were passed the era of Replacement soundtracks

Hell, the only thing in recent memory that's had its soundtrack replaced internationally is Pokemon and that got a ton of backlash
The most recent incarnations of Yugioh & Digimon dubbed by 4K Media & Saban also had their soundtracks replaced as well, if I'm not mistaken. Hell, even Digimon Tri had 'Butter-Fly' replaced with a terrible song that tries to emulate the Digi Rap, but isn't even as 'so bad, it's good' as the Digi Rap, but only on the American releases. On the UK & Australian releases, they mixed 'Butter-Fly' back into the dub where it belongs. It's baffling that they did that, since Koji Wada fought off his cancer long enough to rerecord the song specifically for the films, so it's kinda disrespectful, no matter if they were trying to cater to the nostalgia of fans of the original series' dub (I also find 'Butter-Fly' to be a better song than the Digi Rap in general, so that doesn't help).
It's mainly that, though. Nostalgia brats upset & throwing tantrums that their outdated ways of anime dubbing aren't being upholded from a bygone era of replacement scores to save money on licensing costs. Falconer & FUNimation burned bridges years ago & no one but the most hardened dub fans love the Falconer music. I don't even have any interest in seeing the dub with the replacement music, but from the clips I've seen, it's bad synthesized music. Thankfully they didn't use it for Kai &, thankfully, they're not using it for Super either. No one's clamoring for the Falconer score besides those people, so why satiate them? Fandoms are vast & make absolutely no sense. Like, there are fangirls of Fall Out Boy & All Time Low that'll defend their latest albums to the death even though they're not good whatsoever, nor will they even entertain the ideas that they're bad. It's all stupid.
I know we've had our differences and dont always see eye to eye, BUT I LOVE YOU. Yes its extremely disrespectful to Koji Wada that his swan song was replaced. Luckily I think the Seven ending remains.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:44 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:The most recent incarnations of Yugioh & Digimon dubbed by 4K Media & Saban also had their soundtracks replaced as well, if I'm not mistaken. Hell, even Digimon Tri had 'Butter-Fly' replaced with a terrible song that tries to emulate the Digi Rap, but isn't even as 'so bad, it's good' as the Digi Rap, but only on the American releases. On the UK & Australian releases, they mixed 'Butter-Fly' back into the dub where it belongs. It's baffling that they did that, since Koji Wada fought off his cancer long enough to rerecord the song specifically for the films, so it's kinda disrespectful, no matter if they were trying to cater to the nostalgia of fans of the original series' dub (I also find 'Butter-Fly' to be a better song than the Digi Rap in general, so that doesn't help).
I know we've had our differences and dont always see eye to eye, BUT I LOVE YOU. Yes its extremely disrespectful to Koji Wada that his swan song was replaced. Luckily I think the Seven ending remains.
I may be argumentative & a bit of a prick at times (aren't we all), but I have points to what I say.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 am

I know! That's what I said. You are awesome.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:25 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know! That's what I said. You are awesome.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:07 am

So relieving not to have Goku's epic rage moment ruined by the stupid atatatatatatata's. Also you could hear the pain in Goku's voice as Black uses his Shinretsuzan attack, Schemmel killed it this episode as Goku and Black, loving the voice cracks he is doing lately much more realistic. Vale for the first time has matched Kusao, very good performance by Vale at the end. Marsters well not much more I can say what others haven't already.

Vegeta's moment next to look forward too then #65&66 Merged Zamasu goodness!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Ending 6 is sung in English by Elliot Coleman.

Source: https://twitter.com/elliotcoleman/statu ... 24544?s=21
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 pm

What's with Funimation using reverb effects on Schemmel whenever he screams? They feel absolutely unnecessary.

That being said, he did a great job in that rage scene.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What's with Funimation using reverb effects on Schemmel whenever he screams? They feel absolutely unnecessary.

Funimation has been applying heavy reverb to screams ever since Kai. This is nothing new.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What's with Funimation using reverb effects on Schemmel whenever he screams? They feel absolutely unnecessary.

Personally, I think it adds to the atmosphere.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat May 05, 2018 7:02 pm

The english dub was pretty solid on the scene when Goku is mad against Black and Zamasu. I liked Nozawa's performance in there, but I think Schemmel was better when compared, as I saw in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUTDr9kOQag

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 pm

You know what I'm wondering while this episode is airing? How will Funi handle the Mafuba now? Will they untranslate it like with "Hakai", or will they keep it as "Evil Containment Wave"? We'll find out in a few minutes.
Caulifla best girl! :)

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know what I'm wondering while this episode is airing? How will Funi handle the Mafuba now? Will they untranslate it like with "Hakai", or will they keep it as "Evil Containment Wave"? We'll find out in a few minutes.
Well you got your answer. Do you like it?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know what I'm wondering while this episode is airing? How will Funi handle the Mafuba now? Will they untranslate it like with "Hakai", or will they keep it as "Evil Containment Wave"? We'll find out in a few minutes.
I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, I'm not against them translating it, even though "Containment" sounds weird when the characters actually perform it. But on the other hand, "Mafuba" sounds more like a technique than "Containment".
Caulifla best girl! :)

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun May 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, I'm not against them translating it, even though "Containment" sounds weird when the characters actually perform it. But on the other hand, "Mafuba" sounds more like a technique than "Containment".
Takeshi Kusao saying "Mafuba" over and over was pretty funny, just for how odd it sounds when repeated like that. I can't imagine "Containment" will sound as funny, but it might be saved by Vale's inflection.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun May 06, 2018 6:32 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Ending 6 is sung in English by Elliot Coleman.

Source: https://twitter.com/elliotcoleman/statu ... 24544?s=21
I see they've opted for professional singers now, compared to the days of Kai.

Anyways, Turtle/Umigame was listed to be voiced by Sabat, not Cason like in Kai, which I didn't know until now.
I had presumed Super kept Cason from Kai for the role.