"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But Goku Black is his name. Toriyama even called by him that. Don't see the problem. It's not like they're calling him as Scsigs said above Goku Dark or something.

I swear people just love nitpicking everything about this dub.

Also this artistic license "meme" is getting old and makes people come across as petty.
I mean, the artistic license meme/reference doesn't make any sense anyways. For one, Schemmel was referencing his performance & how they arrived at the decision to influence his performance the way they are, even though it's an unnecessary thing because his current performance is all that's required of the actor, even though Zamasu & Goku Black are the same person. Nozawa didn't even speak like Zamasu's VA, she just took a darker tone with her Goku voice & spoke proper Japanese, so it's not like that's where the reasoning is coming from.
And even then, that's not really artistic license. Artistic license is like the various script & character changes in the Z dub. With the accent change, you can at least see how they arrived at the decisions they did. Having the characters all call Goku Black Goku Black is NOT artistic license, even if you're joking (it's also a shit joke anyway). It's something that actually makes sense in the context of the show, so if you're really gonna be mad about a show's dub using the full name of a character, even if they only used part of it in the original dub, I really don't know what to say other than you're overreacting.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But Goku Black is his name. Toriyama even called by him that. Don't see the problem. It's not like they're calling him as Scsigs said above Goku Dark or something.

Also this artistic license "meme" is getting old and makes people come across as petty.
I mean, the artistic license meme/reference doesn't make any sense anyways. For one, Schemmel was referencing his performance & how they arrived at the decision to influence his performance the way they are, even though it's an unnecessary thing because his current performance is all that's required of the actor, even though Zamasu & Goku Black are the same person. Nozawa didn't even speak like Zamasu's VA, she just took a darker tone with her Goku voice & spoke proper Japanese, so it's not like that's where the reasoning is coming from.
And even then, that's not really artistic license. Artistic license is like the various script & character changes in the Z dub. With the accent change, you can at least see how they arrived at the decisions they did. Having the characters all call Goku Black Goku Black is NOT artistic license, even if you're joking (it's also a shit joke anyway). It's something that actually makes sense in the context of the show, so if you're really gonna be mad about a show's dub using the full name of a character, even if they only used part of it in the original dub, I really don't know what to say other than you're overreacting.
No offense but saying he’s overreacting is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:No offense but saying he’s overreacting is like the pot calling the kettle black.
I'm talking about overreacting to things that don't make any sense to overreact to. Most of the time I do, it makes sense. Moreover, that wasn't the main point of what I was talking about there.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:01 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:No offense but saying he’s overreacting is like the pot calling the kettle black.
I'm talking about overreacting to things that don't make any sense to overreact to. Most of the time I do, it makes sense. Moreover, that wasn't the main point of what I was talking about there.
Overreacting is still overreacting. I clearly recall you throwing a fit over the TFS Kai scenario, but thats off topic.
I agree with Baggie though. People nitpick everything Funimation does to hell and back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Overreacting is still overreacting. I clearly recall you throwing a fit over the TFS Kai scenario, but thats off topic.
I agree with Baggie though. People nitpick everything Funimation does to hell and back.
Maybe I was overreacting, but I'm a TFS fan & I saw what them being in the Kai TFC dub represented & I was mad because it didn't make any sense. Personally, I don't think I was overreacting in that situation, but that's just me. That made sense to react to, but if you felt it was maybe a little too much, since you seem to either hate or not care much for them, I get it, but to compare me being mad that they got cut from the dub because I'm a fan of them to the people nitpicking the littlest dub scriptings that triggers whatever's causing them to do so is a bit much.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
All of this. Too many people making mountains out of molehills for nothing. The subs are there. If you hate the dub for whatever reason, you now have an alternative

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 am

While I do think Sean Schemmel was overreacting during that AMA, I have to agree that the fans overreacted as well. Be critical all you want, I don’t like British Black either, but some of the responses to Sean that I’ve seen are just disappointing.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:While I do think Sean Schemmel was overreacting during that AMA, I have to agree that the fans overreacted as well. Be critical all you want, I don’t like British Black either, but some of the responses to Sean that I’ve seen are just disappointing.
It is what it is when you have a huge fanbase. Some people can be dicks. Sean didn't help himself, tho...

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm

In this interview, Drummond said he recorded all of Copy Vegeta's lines over 4 hours on a single day. While he said he'd be willing to do more things like this, it's not really something that's realistic because of the logistics.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:In this interview, Drummond said he recorded all of Copy Vegeta's lines over 4 hours on a single day. While he said he'd be willing to do more things like this, it's not really something that's realistic because of the logistics.
Hopefully, we get an Ocean Super soon...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 am

Jean0987654321 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:In this interview, Drummond said he recorded all of Copy Vegeta's lines over 4 hours on a single day. While he said he'd be willing to do more things like this, it's not really something that's realistic because of the logistics.
The chances of getting an airing of Ocean Kai are already not that great. Super's even less likely to happen, especially when there's already an alternate dub for it for the Asian market.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 am

Scsigs wrote:
Jean0987654321 wrote:
The chances of getting an airing of Ocean Kai are already not that great. Super's even less likely to happen, especially when there's already an alternate dub for it for the Asian market.
Chances are practically zero the wording on their press release implies FUNi have broadcast rights for Canada and I doubt they'd commission a separate dub.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:34 am

Scsigs wrote:

Well, that is exactly what Shinichiro Miki does as Zamasu. So, yes, we can say that Nozawa speaks like Miki when she voices Black. And that's because Goku Black is just Zamasu in Goku's body.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 am

Interesting listen. That wishfart show he mentioned I remember seeing that pop up on CITV never watched it though next time I see it I'll give it a whirl.

I hope we get somesort of extra on the BD re: Drummond.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Maybe they’re using Goku Black instead of just Black so certain people on the internet (you know who I’m talking about) don’t cry racism
There's a lot of DB fans in America including famous ones who are Black, so I doubt there would be cries of racism because they would all understand the context.

I just think want to avoid the Dub to becoming a big meme fest/joke due to the usage of black.

"That damn Black"
"So you're Black"
"That Black guy is pretty powerful"
"Make me Black"

In English those lines would get replayed and joked about.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:44 am

Yedis wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Maybe they’re using Goku Black instead of just Black so certain people on the internet (you know who I’m talking about) don’t cry racism
There's a lot of DB fans in America including famous ones who are Black, so I doubt there would be cries of racism because they would all understand the context.

I just think want to avoid the Dub to becoming a big meme fest/joke due to the usage of black.

"That damn Black"
"So you're Black"
"That Black guy is pretty powerful"
"Make me Black"

In English those lines would get replayed and joked about.
Xenoverse 2 already did it. Peppy English Goku going "So you're Black huh?" in a confused voice is one of the best lines in that game. Also Vegeta's "There's two Black's ?!"
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:45 pm

I think it would've been hilarious if they actually called him, "Black Goku". :lol:
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I think it would've been hilarious if they actually called him, "Black Goku". :lol:
"I'm just saying, I expected black Goku but what I got was dark Goku, nega Goku, Ukog."
"You done?"
"Goku is the new black."

But anyways, I don't think "Black Goku" rolls of the tongue as well as "Goku Black." "Goku Black" sounds better & more sinister to me.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 pm

So, tonight's the night we should be hearing the dub version of Ending 5 (Yoka Yoka Dance). Wonder what it'll be called. Maybe Relax Relax Dance (since I believe this is what it loosely translates to)? I'm glad because I'm burnt out by Ending 4, not to mention it shows visuals from the U6 Arc - which we're now done with.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Toonami's switched back to the English opening for some reason