"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:So, what? Horikawa sounds like a normal guy as well.
Horikawa is a much more talented actor. I don't think he's putting out good performances anymore, anyway.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Horikawa is a much more talented actor. I don't think he's putting out good performances anymore, anyway.
I won't deny that. When it comes to his later performances, he's simply not in his prime.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Another thing to note about the recent episode, Schemmel's delivery with the line "but Chichi I have to train" was pretty fantastic, you can genuinely hear how much it means to Goku, That along with explaining the tractor and the forgot my tractor are just further proof that Schemmel is the best dubbed Goku, the man is terrific now.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Have you considered watching or at least heard of LoGH?
I'd say Horikawa's Reinhard was his finest performance yet

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 pm

GigaDrill wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
You know I've heard of LOGH.

I said "anymore", as in recently, in Super. I'm sure his older performances are still good as usual.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Doctor. wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Horikawa is a much more talented actor. I don't think he's putting out good performances anymore, anyway.
You know I've heard of LOGH.
I know?
I don't think I know that much about you.
I said "anymore", as in recently, in Super. I'm sure his older performances are still good as usual.
I was just trying to recommend another of his more notable works.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:11 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I actually like SSRose Black, he sounds like a condescending prick which seems pretty fitting if you ask me.
It doesn't fit him if Zamasu has an American accent.

Zamasu is terrible, too, he sounds like an announcer from the 50s.
Why is it you only comment on this thread when you have something negative to say? Where were you when Schemmel and Douglas where blowing Nozawa and Yamadera's Japanese performance out the water?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Where were you when Schemmel and Douglas where blowing Nozawa and Yamadera's Japanese performance out the water?
I don't think that has ever happened.

I don't watch the Super dub regularly anyway, I only post here when there's news, I don't go out of my way to come here on a regular basis and hate on the dub. It's not my fault the new voices in the dub almost always suck, I don't see why I should praise something if I don't see anything worthy of praise.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 pm

I certainly remember people bashing Chris Ayres when he started as Freeza. Now he's beloved.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:23 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I certainly remember people bashing Chris Ayres when he started as Freeza. Now he's beloved.
Ayres won me over a bit when he delivered that line perfectly where golden frieza is having a big breakdown at the end of resurrection f where hes like "why cant i beat you!!"

Truth be told i still prefer Linda Young for that sinister tone and probably just because she was the first I guess. I also really liked her delivery of the lines.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I certainly remember people bashing Chris Ayres when he started as Freeza. Now he's beloved.
...By everyone but most hardened Linda Young fans...
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Scsigs wrote:
...By everyone but most hardened Linda Young fans...
Yeah, there's a lot of people blinded by nostalgia.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:43 am

I think the biggest problem with the new dub choices is that people just expect the characters to sound exactly like the Japanese ones but in English. It doesn't and shouldn't work that way.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:08 am

Episode titles for the next month a bit Freeza retelling is only like 9eps so should be over before we know it :D!:

E16 Vegeta Becomes a Student?! Win Over Whis!
E17 Pan Is Born! And Goku Goes on a Training Journey
E18 I'm Here, Too! Training Commences on Beerus' World!
E19 Despair Once Again! Resurrection of the Evil Emperor Frieza!
E20 A Warning From Jaco! Here Comes Frieza and His Thousand Soldiers
E21 The Revenge Begins! The Frieza Corps Aims Its Malice at Gohan

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 am

I had been following the dub of DBS until Ep11 when I couldn't find enough time to wait every week for something I'd already watched once and eventually dropped it. So I have a few questions for those of you following the Dub; what makes you like it? Is DBS worth re-watching in English? I can watch the original anytime I want, but I've already watched it before, so I was guessing it would be better to watch it in English instead.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:12 pm

kinisking wrote:I think the biggest problem with the new dub choices is that people just expect the characters to sound exactly like the Japanese ones but in English. It doesn't and shouldn't work that way.
I think people expect the actors to put out good performances that fit the characters, nothing more, nothing less. Clarke sounds nothing like Wakamoto and he's a perfect fit. The problem with the new dub choices is that, despite the actors obviously being incredibly talented, their performances don't fit the characters they're playing. Zamasu sounds bored out of his mind, Rosé Black and Zamasu shouldn't have a completely different accent and way of speaking.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Doctor. wrote:
kinisking wrote:I think the biggest problem with the new dub choices is that people just expect the characters to sound exactly like the Japanese ones but in English. It doesn't and shouldn't work that way.
I think people expect the actors to put out good performances that fit the characters, nothing more, nothing less. Clarke sounds nothing like Wakamoto and he's a perfect fit. The problem with the new dub choices is that, despite the actors obviously being incredibly talented, their performances don't fit the characters they're playing. Zamasu sounds bored out of his mind, Rosé Black and Zamasu shouldn't have a completely different accent and way of speaking.
The Clarke and cell thing is different. Back then, most people weren't exposed to Wakamoto for long periods of time before listening to Clarke. Heck, I've never even listened to Wakamoto's cell.

I'll have to listen to Zamasu again before I comment , but I think Black's voice fits the character in Rose. It's posh and arrogant .
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:27 pm

kinisking wrote:The Clarke and cell thing is different. Back then, most people weren't exposed to Wakamoto for long periods of time before listening to Clarke. Heck, I've never even listened to Wakamoto's cell.

I'll have to listen to Zamasu again before I comment , but I think Black's voice fits the character in Rose. It's posh and arrogant .
Then it's a good thing I'm giving you an unbiased look at both performances. People in general won't care if the voice is different from the original as long as the actor performance fits the character.

I like Black's Rosé voice, I don't like how he sounds nothing like Zamasu.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
kinisking wrote:The Clarke and cell thing is different. Back then, most people weren't exposed to Wakamoto for long periods of time before listening to Clarke. Heck, I've never even listened to Wakamoto's cell.

Then it's a good thing I'm giving you an unbiased look at both performances. People in general won't care if the voice is different from the original as long as the actor performance fits the character.

I like Black's Rosé voice, I don't like how he sounds nothing like Zamasu.
You might not care, but I think plenty of people care.

Why? Nozawas doesn't sound much like Zamasu.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm

kinisking wrote:Why? Nozawas doesn't sound much like Zamasu.
She has her voice, obviously, but their way of speaking and accent is almost the exact same. Having Rosé Black be British whilst Zamasu is american despite the fact that they're the same person is stupid as all Hell.