"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 am

This episode reminded me just how great Sonny Strait is as Krillin. That little "Cha-La Head Cha-La" from Goku as he was hopping on Nimbus/Kinto-Un was kinda adorable.

The Universe Survival arc finally starts next week! We got one big ass arc ahead of us. Crazy to think that once DBS: Broly is out in theatres in English, the Universe Survival arc will still be airing on TV.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:08 am

I loved this Chala head chala reference. Its never been dubbed by Funimation so its a reference aimed squarely at the sub crowd and I love it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 am

Not a massive fan of the added fourth wall break. Seems a bit tone deaf to add a nod to sub fans in that way.

I do, however, really like that they either got Drummond in to do the grunts for Vegeta, or had someone do an impression. That's a cool little unobtrusive nod to the fandom! Props there.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 am

This is the ONE time I have to defend Funimation. The original was prone to doing even more theme song references. We Are on the Resurrection F movie?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:This is the ONE time I have to defend Funimation. The original was prone to doing even more theme song references. We Are on the Resurrection F movie?
Yup, but my personal perspective is that it's not a dub team's job to add those types of references in. That's entirely on the creative team who writes the show.

Deadtuber.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Preview for the EP77 dub is up

https://youtu.be/jkUPpA4SSDA

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am

I seriously can't wait for FUNimation's take on the Universal Survival arc. I love that arc, and I hope that FUNimation do the dub for it justice.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:This is the ONE time I have to defend Funimation. The original was prone to doing even more theme song references. We Are on the Resurrection F movie?
This was kept in the English dub you know. Also it was a reference to the fact that Krillin and Luffy share voices in the sub (in the dub it works to, since Krillin also plays Usopp). That aside I kinda wanna hear Sean do a full cover (in Goku's voice) of the song now.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:24 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
This was kept in the English dub you know. Also it was a reference to the fact that Krillin and Luffy share voices in the sub (in the dub it works to, since Krillin also plays Usopp). That aside I kinda wanna hear Sean do a full cover (in Goku's voice) of the song now.
It always struck me as somewhat strange that FUNimation never did a cover of Cha La Head Cha La. They went through the trouble of doings covers of the opening theme and the ending themes for GT with the season sets, but they never did the same for Z?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
It always struck me as somewhat strange that FUNimation never did a cover of Cha La Head Cha La. They went through the trouble of doings covers of the opening theme and the ending themes for GT with the season sets, but they never did the same for Z?
It might be a rights issue.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Ajay wrote:
Yup, but my personal perspective is that it's not a dub team's job to add those types of references in. That's entirely on the creative team who writes the show.
Can you ever post in this thread without including some negative comment about this dub? We get it, you don't like it (judging from a number of earlier comments you pretty much straight up hate it), so maybe it's time to move along? Unless you enjoy being really negative?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:02 pm

MrTennek wrote:Can you ever post in this thread without including some negative comment about this dub? We get it, you don't like it (judging from a number of earlier comments you pretty much straight up hate it), so maybe it's time to move along? Unless you enjoy being really negative?
I imagine you're referring to my infamous 'donuts' reaction? While I don't think that line's a good addition, I have publicly apologised for my overreactions and the way I expressed my opinion.

I absolutely do not hate this dub, but I do take issues with good chunks of it, and make a point to express my feelings on them if and when they arise. It stills feels like a step down from Kai.

At the same time, I've also been very vocal when I do like what they've done. Earlier in this thread, you'll see me praising the cast for episode 11, where I really do think they blew the original way. The same goes for Sabat's performance in the 'My Bulma' scene. I've watched that scene in many different languages and he's the only person to actually get it right. I also thought James Marsters' Zamasu was some of the best work I've seen from the series ever. Their casting has been incredibly on point, too. Almost all the new characters have been cast perfectly.

If I'm not balancing my praise and criticism enough at the moment, therefore giving people the wrong impression, I can absolutely work on that. Hey, I threw in a positive comment along with my criticism in my post earlier down the page! This is the second time you've made a jab at me, so if there's something personal here, you are more than welcome to DM me.

Everyone's more than welcome to voice their opinions in this thread, however. This is the Funimation discussion thread, not a circlejerk; expect criticism here and there~

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
Most likely. The Japanese OP doesn't even play on dub tracks just that shitty rock type opening. Same reason I assume why some of the insert songs don't play on the dub w/ JPN music track.

Sadly it seems rights with music still plagues us as we got the inferior Flow by Hero Engrish version in BoG and then the crappy Engrish version of DBS OP1. Hopefully no issues for LBxS and Ultimate Battle!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I seriously can't wait for FUNimation's take on the Universal Survival arc. I love that arc, and I hope that FUNimation do the dub for it justice.
I actually I hope they to stop holding back and go full nuts like doing a parody, having this arc with a lot of references to old memes and the old dub too, it could make this arc enjoyable for me this time.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
You're talking about 2 different eras for FUNi when those both were done. The GT theme song & ending song dubs were done when they were planning the DVDs for the series, which was at roughly the same time as when they were doing the One Piece dub of seasons 1-3 after they rescued it/took it off the hands of 4Kids. When they were dubbing the theme songs of that show. That was after the Z DVD season sets had started to come out. The original Dragon Ball series, I think, only got its opening & ending songs dubbed because it was sticking with the Japanese music anyways, so they opted to dub the songs rather than make new ones, or leave them undubbed. Then they did the same for the first 98 episodes of Kai. Ever since, it's been rights issues, or the Japanese artists making Engrish versions for the songs for the international dubs. Considering they don't use the song on the English tracks for Z anyways, I don't think they're ever going to. Unless maybe if the rumors about Toei remastering the shows for HD are true & FUNi eventually get their hands on those masters to use for new, better, releases & then dub it, but I don't know. The artist also recorded an Engrish version of the song years ago too, so he may want them to use that version over their own, if they bother to dub it in the first place.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Most likely. The Japanese OP doesn't even play on dub tracks just that shitty rock type opening. Same reason I assume why some of the insert songs don't play on the dub w/ JPN music track.

Sadly it seems rights with music still plagues us as we got the inferior Flow by Hero Engrish version in BoG and then the crappy Engrish version of DBS OP1. Hopefully no issues for LBxS and Ultimate Battle!
You clearly don't pay attention to why they used those Engrish versions of those songs. Toei essentially forced FUNi to use the Engrish version of 'Cha La' for their release of BOG. I think other countries had to use it too. It was to prevent reverse importation, which many Japanese companies don't like because they don't get as much money as they would if the people got the domestic releases (don't get how a different language version of a song is gonna prevent importers from getting the international version, when the picture is still great & the Japanese dub is still on the discs, but whatever).
The opening of Super, if you weren't watching or paying attention, was switched part way into the first arc of the show. The first 2 parts also have the original Japanese version (a thing I hope they rectify in the season sets to fix the inconsistency with the later parts), but then it switched after that. Someone said that they apparently wanted to dub it into their own version, but weren't allowed to because of the copyright holders not wanting them to, so they just used the Engrish version. I don't really see how the Engrish version is inferior to the Japanese version, since they both suck as a DB opening song, but if you have that opinion, ok. They'll most likely use the Japanese version of LBXS if they can't dub it, or maybe an Engrish version if the singer recorded one. Either way, expect something of that nature coming.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

I always assumed Z's insert songs were Toei sending FUNi backing masters that didn't have them
Since the tapes Toei sent for the Bricks were notoriously poor and inconsistent and all missing NEPs
Like how the Blue Brick tapes only have the first opening, and insert songs in that series play or don't play on the English track at random, even with different instances of the same song

I think it's a case where Toei forces them to use whatever they get without modification, otherwise FUNi might add insert songs and openings back in manually

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Whoever's in charge has definitely been inconsistent here. Flow's Cha-La is in English in BOG and TFC, but left in Japanese in BOZ and Xenoverse. The original Cha-La has been replaced everywhere except for Ultimate Tenkaichi and a few of the features' openings with the JP music option (namely the Bardock Special and Movies 3-4 and 6-9). Oh, and the Dragon Box release of the series was the other exception. The mind boggles. It's best not to think about it. :crazy:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Whoever's in charge has definitely been inconsistent here. Flow's Cha-La is in English in BOG and TFC, but left in Japanese in BOZ and Xenoverse. The original Cha-La has been replaced everywhere except for Ultimate Tenkaichi and a few of the features' openings with the JP music option (namely the Bardock Special and Movies 3-4 and 6-9). Oh, and the Dragon Box release of the series was the other exception. The mind boggles. It's best not to think about it. :crazy:
BOZ & Xenoverse are games, while BOG & TFC are the anime. Presumably, since they're handled by different companies, they choose what versions of songs are in them.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:33 pm

The dub seems to have regressed to DBZ Buu saga levels in terms of dialogue and added jokes. Goku singing "Cha La La" had no reason to be there.

I fully expect Goku to say, "Look, people popcorn!" and such. The Buu saga dub was better than the earlier seasons and more accurate but still had jokes added by FUNI, that's what the Super dub feels like.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 pm

precita wrote:The dub seems to have regressed to DBZ Buu saga levels in terms of dialogue and added jokes. Goku singing "Cha La La" had no reason to be there.

I fully expect Goku to say, "Look, people popcorn!" and such. The Buu saga dub was better than the earlier seasons and more accurate but still had jokes added by FUNI, that's what the Super dub feels like.
Not even remotely.