"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 am

I'm bothered that they had to change some of Goku's lines. It's as if Funi thinks Goku's some kind of selfish bastard who doesn't give a damn about his family.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:54 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm bothered that they had to change some of Goku's lines. It's as if Funi thinks Goku's some kind of selfish bastard who doesn't give a damn about his family.
The fact Goku told Goten he wants to continue training to keep his family safe shows that he does care. This is why I have no problem with the added dialogue, Funi is showing both sides of Goku's character without blowing the good aspects out of proportion.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:57 pm

With Chichi it sounds like she's a bit strained with that one line where she yells at Goku about going to work. I think someone else said that it sounds like Cranz may have been ill. And with Goten, I actually like the voice fine - it's the first couple of deliveries in the scene with Goku that bother me. Listen as he says "Do you really think you have to keep training?" Edwards' delivery is really slow, and it sounds like she's carefully enunciating each word. As a result, it sounds a bit unnatural. It feels like she was having trouble with the first few lines and was more focused on just saying them while maintaining the Goten voice and not so much on delivering them to the best of her ability. By the second half of the episode, though, Goten sounds fine, and Videl sounds good throughout. The same goes for Cranz - her line at the end sounds like Cranz's standard Chichi to me. It's like Sabat noticed they were having an off day and told them that they would come back to it later. Either that or they were okay after they warmed up their voices with the first lines. At any rate, I'm sure that they won't consistently sound off in later episodes.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:26 pm

I think the whole "Funi turns Goku into a hero" thing is getting out of hand. In the Viz translation of the Manga Son Goku tells Cell: "...I'll fight in your Tournament... If you don't kill anybody else until then. Got it?..." So Son cares about innocent lives.
Is it his priority? No. But he won't sit back and let villains kill folks for the hell of it. Hell Son Goku was mad when Perfect Cell destroyed the King's army. He then procceed to see if God and the Dragon Balls could return so they could be wished back alongside any further issues brought on by the Games.
So can't Son Goku train in order to become stronger AND protect his friends? People are acting like the Uncut Funi Dubs only portray Goku's good side. Yes some of their Uncut lines change his original Japanese dialogue and that can be a issue. But anyone who has actually watched the Uncut Funi Dub of anything Dragon Ball will know that Son Goku is a battle enjoying alien who loves food.
He helps people out and will do selfish things in order to fight strong people. This is the guy who went out of his way to bring Upa's father back to life. He did it just because too. So can the "Goku is Superman in the Dub" stuff die and never resurrect again?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Is it just me or did anyone else find it somewhat difficult to hear Vegeta when he was inner monologuing while he was in that crowd?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Is it just me or did anyone else find it somewhat difficult to hear Vegeta when he was inner monologuing while he was in that crowd?
I'm dropping in and out, but from what I have heard, the mixing in this episode could use some work. The mixing was noticeably meh in episode 1, but now it's really worth mentioning.
Retired.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Huh. They credited Laura Bailey as Trunks. Must be a mistake.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:Huh. They credited Laura Bailey as Trunks. Must be a mistake.
They used the Buu Kai Credits. I saw Gohan, Videl, Erasa, and Sharpener. I just noticed the pencil pun with their names.

They didn't say "Last Time on Dragon Ball Super."
Huh, odd. Well it's more accurate though!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:31 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:Huh. They credited Laura Bailey as Trunks. Must be a mistake.
First they're not crediting anyone, now they're crediting the wrong actress. Man they have a lot to work on with the mixing being off as well.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Lunatic Fringe wrote:Is it just me or did anyone else find it somewhat difficult to hear Vegeta when he was inner monologuing while he was in that crowd?
I'm dropping in and out, but from what I have heard, the mixing in this episode could use some work. The mixing was noticeably meh in episode 1, but now it's really worth mentioning.
I also found it a problem when Vegeta was in the gravity room and he was vowing to surpass Goku. It wasn't as noticeable but it still seemed off to me.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 pm

The mixing and credits mishaps were likely a Toonami thing, FUNi doesn't edit the openings and endings or credits for Toonami
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Anyone else worried that they're kinda rushing the dub a bit what with a few of the performances not being as great as they should be in episode 1 & now the mixing is just not as good as it should be?

I mean, the earliest that they probably recorded was maybe early November when they announced they got the license, but then again, Jason Douglas DID post a screenshot to Instagram back in August, so who knows. They just seem to be rushing the mixing of it rather than mixing it properly though. I mean, they have the music & sound effects without voices in 1 channel & the voices in another with an app that's either GarageBand, or like it depending on what kinds of computers they use when recording voices. All they have to do is level the voice tracks so they're level with the sound effects & music so one doesn't overshadow the other. Wanna know how difficult that is? No too hard. I know this because I've had to use it for shit I've recorded in the past. The only thing they'd have to mind though, other than volume, is from which side the voices are coming from for the stereo & 5.1 mixes & that's not hard to do either. A bit tedious, but not too hard, especially for experienced pros.

Just look at Kai: TFC. Other than the voices being greatly consistent so far (then again, we haven't heard Goten or Chi Chi yet, so I'll reserve judgement until they appear on the voice work) due to being recorded over the last 3 years, they had plenty of time to record & mix everything properly for its eventual distribution.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 pm

The mixing wasn't that off, you guys are making mountains out of molehills
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:01 pm

The mixing and credits will be fixed on the home release, it being on TV is what is making them rush with the mixing and credits but it'll be fixed for Blu-ray

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:03 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The mixing and credits will be fixed on the home release, it being on TV is what is making them rush with the mixing and credits but it'll be fixed for Blu-ray
Yeah, but everything should be 100% by the time things air, otherwise you get slipshot products.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The mixing and credits mishaps were likely a Toonami thing, FUNi doesn't edit the openings and endings or credits for Toonami
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The mixing and credits will be fixed on the home release, it being on TV is what is making them rush with the mixing and credits but it'll be fixed for Blu-ray
The opening and ending credits have nothing to do with the audio mix.
Retired.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Again, mountains out of molehills

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:16 pm

GTx10 wrote:I think the whole "Funi turns Goku into a hero" thing is getting out of hand. In the Viz translation of the Manga Son Goku tells Cell: "...I'll fight in your Tournament... If you don't kill anybody else until then. Got it?..." So Son cares about innocent lives.
Is it his priority? No. But he won't sit back and let villains kill folks for the hell of it. Hell Son Goku was mad when Perfect Cell destroyed the King's army. He then procceed to see if God and the Dragon Balls could return so they could be wished back alongside any further issues brought on by the Games.
So can't Son Goku train in order to become stronger AND protect his friends? People are acting like the Uncut Funi Dubs only portray Goku's good side. Yes some of their Uncut lines change his original Japanese dialogue and that can be a issue. But anyone who has actually watched the Uncut Funi Dub of anything Dragon Ball will know that Son Goku is a battle enjoying alien who loves food.
He helps people out and will do selfish things in order to fight strong people. This is the guy who went out of his way to bring Upa's father back to life. He did it just because too. So can the "Goku is Superman in the Dub" stuff die and never resurrect again?
Exactly. I see so many people harp on any little thing Funi does to show that Goku cares about his friends and family, as if the Japanese he's some emotionless asshole who doesnt care about anyone (which he's not)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Again, mountains out of molehills
No one was making a huge deal out of it, but the fact remains that the audio mix is subpar, and that's a problem that most likely won't be fixed on home releases.
Retired.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Again, mountains out of molehills
No one was making a huge deal out of it, but the fact remains that the audio mix is subpar, and that's a problem that most likely won't be fixed on home releases.
It seems like it was a big deal when no one was talking about the voices or the script.