"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.
Which ways would you say? The only way I can see is TFS' portrayals of some of the characters getting stuck in people's minds as the canon versions, like how Goku was always a selfish asshole, an idiot, & a bad parent for example. Toriyama's words on the matter really don't help much, which no one should really take without a grain of salt anyways because of how he treated his own franchise for all those years before Battle of Gods & his forgetfulness. Also that Piccolo was a better father to Gohan than Goku just because he trained him when he was a kid, though that one's more arguable.
Aren't you the guy who really overreacted when Funimation removed the TFS scene? I recall you (or someone else) getting really pissed off. The constant memes, everywhere I go someone quotes TFS. The people who believe TFS is better then the show, and of course the ones who think it's canon.

"Piccolo was a better father to Gohan than Goku just because he trained him when he was a kid, though that one's more arguable."

That joke got way too out of hand. This is exactly what I mean. Sure that joke existed before TFS but no thanks to them it's gone way too far. There's absolutely no basis for Piccolo being a better father than Goku when pretty much every thing in the manga shows that Piccolo trained Gohan and never raised him at all.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:54 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Aren't you the guy who really overreacted when Funimation removed the TFS scene? I recall you (or someone else) getting really pissed off. The constant memes, everywhere I go someone quotes TFS. The people who believe TFS is better then the show, and of course the ones who think it's canon.

"Piccolo was a better father to Gohan than Goku just because he trained him when he was a kid, though that one's more arguable."

That joke got way too out of hand. This is exactly what I mean. Sure that joke existed before TFS but no thanks to them it's gone way too far. There's absolutely no basis for Piccolo being a better father than Goku when pretty much every thing in the manga shows that Piccolo trained Gohan and never raised him at all.
I reacted the right amount, I don't know what you're talking about. Here's the thing about that, though. I enjoy TFS. I found their inclusion to represent a good sendoff & shout out to the old dub's inconsistencies, terrible lines, & bad jokes with the best people I could ever think of to do it. However, I'm not one of the fandumb who honestly think that TFS is the be all/end all of DBZ. They run a parody series & that's all it is; a parody. Like Yugioh Abridged, they're a group of people who have an affinity for the original product & wanna make fun of it in smart ways, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series proper. That's why I find the old dub references funny. Not only do I enjoy really well done meta humor, I hate terrible translations & scriptings in anime dubbing, so when I find others who share in my disdain, it's great for me (Remember, I say "terrible" as in they ruin the story, not make already funny moments funnier).
The fact that so many stupids in the fandom actively treat TFS like they're word of god on Dragon Ball is so saddening. The fact that they can't separate TFS from the official canon is just depressing. TFS flanderize personalities, make jokes, & run with a lot of things in a humorous context that it's impossible NOT to see what they do as parody. And that thing about Piccolo, you're right. If anything, he's more of a big brother to Gohan, since he's his mentor in the canon. At most, Chichi raised him with the schooling & such while Goku helped him be a kid, like most parents do. Piccolo, at most, fills more an older sibling, or cool older friend role, nothing more.
Plus, really, the only place TFS portrayed Piccolo as caring more about Gohan than Goku or Chichi is int he first Broly movie's abridged version, where he's genuinely concerned about Gohan's school acceptance. Other than that, it's been pretty close to the original in how it's been portrayed so far & the abridged movies aren't even canon to the series just like the original versions of the movies aren't to the original version of the series. So, saying Piccolo is more of a dad to Gohan to Goku, while it may be true by comparison, doesn't really have any weight to it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Me too. I didn't find the TFS one funny at all. It was like really and they tried way too hard to be funny just by throwing every meme they could.
I'm just tired of TFS mindset people have when something funny happens in Super dub or sub they comment "reminds me off TFS" or "this was TFS inspired" like no, TFS didn't invent comedy much less for Dragon Ball... Such an eyeroll, Chris Niosi went on a similar rant a few weeks ago which I completely agree'd with and was relieved that I'm not the only that's noticed.

No disrespect to them and it's not their fault they blew up but I genuinely think the Dragon Ball fandom would have been much better without them.
Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.
I think the big primary issue is fans simply haven't watched OG DB. Dragon Ball was primarily an adventure comedy and slowly evolved into what we eventually got in the "Z" portion, and so TFS making what the super serious "Z" portion more comedic all of a sudden you get a bunch of ignorant people who then think that anything in Super that is comedic or funny is now "TFS inspired". Toriyama brought back the comedic elements in the Buu arc and Super is simply continuing that off. The dub comments are a pain to sift through with crap like "Sabat is channelling is inner TFS" or "You can tell Sabat is inspired by TFS" despite the fact that Sabat is not writing the scripts... and it is not even dub exclusive like Toei in the recent arc did something with Popo and everyone was blowing up saying it was TFS inspired and saying dumb crap like "Toei try to take you down yet steal your work" like what? Toei own Popo he is their character they can do what they want with him, it is dumb crap like that, that is annoying.

Personally, I am not a huge a fan of TFS anyway I don't think it is clever or well written at all. The Cell games thing in Kai was a pretty ingenues meta idea but in hindsight I am actually glad Toei pulled the plug on it.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm surprised no one is talking about the latest dub episode.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The Cell games thing in Kai was a pretty ingenues meta idea but in hindsight I am actually glad Toei pulled the plug on it.
What do you mean exactly? Do you mean how Toei did the Cell Game in Kai, or do you mean how TFS did those one-shot Cell Games shorts, or do you mean something else entirely?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I'm surprised no one is talking about the latest dub episode.
Well, I mean, It was good, but a lot of these people are stuck on TFS. Which, I think, I accidentally started. Sorry.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I'm surprised no one is talking about the latest dub episode.
Well, I mean, It was good, but a lot of these people are stuck on TFS. Which, I think, I accidentally started. Sorry.
(Meanwhile I'm stuck on Tara Strong) I mean They could just talk about TFS in either the Kai TFC thread, or the TFS thread.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Aren't you the guy who really overreacted when Funimation removed the TFS scene? I recall you (or someone else) getting really pissed off. The constant memes, everywhere I go someone quotes TFS. The people who believe TFS is better then the show, and of course the ones who think it's canon.

God, that joke really grind my nerves. It was somewhat funny at first, but the fandom and Abriged made me hate it, especially since Abridged made 'Goku is a terrible father' outright mean-spirit to the point of making Gohan one of my least favorite characters in Abridge. I also hate their version of Tien since they try too hard to make him a 'badass'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I enjoy TFS, I only have beefs with people that enjoy it to the point that they think it's a legitimate enough version of the series to watch over anything else Dragon Ball related. That's when it rubs me the wrong way.

That's the main reason I'm glad they were excluded from TFC, there a parody, there jokes and actors should be separate from any legitimate dub.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I'm just tired of TFS mindset people have when something funny happens in Super dub or sub they comment "reminds me off TFS" or "this was TFS inspired" like no, TFS didn't invent comedy much less for Dragon Ball... Such an eyeroll, Chris Niosi went on a similar rant a few weeks ago which I completely agree'd with and was relieved that I'm not the only that's noticed.

No disrespect to them and it's not their fault they blew up but I genuinely think the Dragon Ball fandom would have been much better without them.
Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.
I think the big primary issue is fans simply haven't watched OG DB. Dragon Ball was primarily an adventure comedy and slowly evolved into what we eventually got in the "Z" portion, and so TFS making what the super serious "Z" portion more comedic all of a sudden you get a bunch of ignorant people who then think that anything in Super that is comedic or funny is now "TFS inspired". Toriyama brought back the comedic elements in the Buu arc and Super is simply continuing that off. The dub comments are a pain to sift through with crap like "Sabat is channelling is inner TFS" or "You can tell Sabat is inspired by TFS" despite the fact that Sabat is not writing the scripts... and it is not even dub exclusive like Toei in the recent arc did something with Popo and everyone was blowing up saying it was TFS inspired and saying dumb crap like "Toei try to take you down yet steal your work" like what? Toei own Popo he is their character they can do what they want with him, it is dumb crap like that, that is annoying.

Personally, I am not a huge a fan of TFS anyway I don't think it is clever or well written at all. The Cell games thing in Kai was a pretty ingenues meta idea but in hindsight I am actually glad Toei pulled the plug on it.
I don't think it's that. Even in dragon ball the type of comedy in it and in tfs is different. Tfs uses more darker humor as well. Also for there are very few fans who act like that at all and most of the ones that do aren't huge fans of the franchise in general and watch more out of nostalgia. Also Sabat is a fan of tfs as is a lot of the dub cast. I could get the argument for the super dub since they occasionally throw in jokes that weren't in the japanese dub. Anyway I think a lot of your critisim for these fans is overracted considering these fans are so few in number. Most of the people watching the super dub have never even seen tfs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I enjoy TFS, I only have beefs with people that enjoy it to the point that they think it's a legitimate enough version of the series to watch over anything else Dragon Ball related. That's when it rubs me the wrong way.

That's the main reason I'm glad they were excluded from TFC, there a parody, there jokes and actors should be separate from any legitimate dub.
TFS has nothing to do with the Super dub.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I enjoy TFS, I only have beefs with people that enjoy it to the point that they think it's a legitimate enough version of the series to watch over anything else Dragon Ball related. That's when it rubs me the wrong way.

What makes you think they think that? I can't think of anything they said or done that implies they think people should watch their series first. They even say support the official release in all their videos

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I know TFS have nothing to do with the Super dub, as it should be.

I'm referring to the fanbase loving TFS to ludicrous levels that rub me the wrong way, but that's my personal opinion.

Back on topic, who voiced Tights in the latest dubbed Super, was it Monica?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Okora wrote: I don't think it's that. Even in dragon ball the type of comedy in it and in tfs is different. Tfs uses more darker humor as well. Also for there are very few fans who act like that at all and most of the ones that do aren't huge fans of the franchise in general and watch more out of nostalgia. Also Sabat is a fan of tfs as is a lot of the dub cast. I could get the argument for the super dub since they occasionally throw in jokes that weren't in the japanese dub. Anyway I think a lot of your critisim for these fans is overracted considering these fans are so few in number. Most of the people watching the super dub have never even seen tfs
There's a lot of people who think TFS is the true version, trust me. It's much more than just a few. Hell, go in the comment section of most of their videos and you can find a bunch.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I know TFS have nothing to do with the Super dub, as it should be.

I'm referring to the fanbase loving TFS to ludicrous levels that rub me the wrong way, but that's my personal opinion.

Back on topic, who voiced Tights in the latest dubbed Super, was it Monica?
Credits have her voiced by anastasia munoz.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Anastasia Munoz voiced Tights, and Haberkorn sounded great as always

Only a few more episodes until heaps of new dub voices appear

Zuno, Zen-Oh, Universe 6

For fantasy casting;

Caulifla - Colleen Clinkenbeard would be great, as would Caitlin Glass
Kale - Wendy Powell
Zuno - Aaron Dismuke
Zen-Oh - Brina Palencia or Maxie Whitehead

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:51 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Anastasia Munoz voiced Tights, and Haberkorn sounded great as always

Zuno, Zen-Oh, Universe 6

For fantasy casting;

Kale - Wendy Powell
Zuno - Aaron Dismuke
Eh, Colleen Clinkenbeard would've been alright as Caulifla, but I still think Tara Strong would be a prefect choice (In case you've missed that discussion, check out the last page). Don't think Caitlin Glass would fit though.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Anastasia Munoz voiced Tights, and Haberkorn sounded great as always

Zuno, Zen-Oh, Universe 6

For fantasy casting;

Kale - Wendy Powell
Zuno - Aaron Dismuke
Eh, Colleen Clinkenbeard would've been alright as Caulifla, but I still think Tara Strong would be a prefect choice (In case you've missed that discussion, check out the last page). Don't think Caitlin Glass would fit though.
See what you're saying about Tara Strong, but Glass' performance as Winry Rockbell sells me on Caulifla

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:50 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:

Zuno, Zen-Oh, Universe 6

For fantasy casting;

Kale - Wendy Powell
Zuno - Aaron Dismuke
See what you're saying about Tara Strong, but Glass' performance as Winry Rockbell sells me on Caulifla
Except Caitlin is already cast as Vados and Colleen has too many roles in this series as good of an actress as she is. Luci Christian is my personal pick for Caulifla
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

chaosmasterxx

Post by chaosmasterxx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 am

Caulifla- Luci Christian or Cherami Leigh
Zeno- Brina Palencia
Kale- Jeannie Tirado
Zuno- Aaron Dismuke

No to more Colleen she is already going to be Mai in the Future Trunks Arc