"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 pm

wjbraden wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Toonami picked up an additional slot at 22:30 - Black Clover airs at 23:30, while Super and Kai move up 30 minutes.
Unfortunately, it will result in Super being removed from 8:00 and 8:30. Here's the schedule for the next couple of weeks:

11/18:
8:00 Dragon Ball Super #40
8:30 Dragon Ball Super #41 (NEW)
9:00-11:00 Comedy
11:00 Dragon Ball Super #41 (Repeat)
11:30 Dragon Ball Z Kai #42 (NEW)
12:00-4:00 Rest of Toonami

11/25:
8:00 Dragon Ball Super #40 (Repeat)
8:30 Dragon Ball Super #41 (Repeat)
9:00-11:00 Comedy
11:00-4:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai Marathon #33-42

From 12/2:
8:00-10:30 Comedy
10:30 Dragon Ball Super #42 (NEW)
11:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai #43 (NEW)
11:30 Black Clover (PREMIERE)
12:00-4:00 Rest of Toonami

There will also most likely be marathons on 12/23 and 12/30 that will preempt all new episodes, so be ready for that, too.
Ugh. I hate this situation. I know it's just how it works, and it's Adult Swim's channel, and they totally have the right to do with it as they please, but we're never getting anywhere at this rate.

I have no idea what Forneverworld was hyping up all those months ago, but I think it's likely been scrapped.
I've spoken briefly to a couple of actors in the last week or so, who voice main characters, and they told me they can't Simuldub because of how far back they are due to how long it took them to secure the license.

This is how it is now, unless Toei let them go ahead and release home video monthly, but I'm having a laugh there truth be told - never happening.

Frustrating thing is, they don't make a dime on ratings, and Kai has proved that regardless of whether the episodes are available or not, they still draw solid numbers.

At the end of the day, they could dub and catch up, or at least close the gap to within 3 months or something, but Toei aren't interested it would seem.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Ugh. I hate this situation. I know it's just how it works, and it's Adult Swim's channel, and they totally have the right to do with it as they please, but we're never getting anywhere at this rate.

I have no idea what Forneverworld was hyping up all those months ago, but I think it's likely been scrapped.
I've spoken briefly to a couple of actors in the last week or so, who voice main characters, and they told me they can't Simuldub because of how far back they are due to how long it took them to secure the license.

This is how it is now, unless Toei let them go ahead and release home video monthly, but I'm having a laugh there, truth be told - never happening.

Frustrating thing is, they don't make a dime on ratings, and Kai has proved that regardless of whether the episodes are available or not, they still draw solid numbers.

At the end of the day, they could dub and catch up, or at least close the gap to within 3 months or something, but Toei aren't interested it would seem.
You DO know how dubbing &/or releasing Japanese shows works, right? Unless it's a special case, like the Resurrection F movie, rarely do any anime shows or movies get dubbed & released within the same timeframe as the Japanese releases. This is a cost of the Japanese companies wanting to curb reverse importation as much as possible so THEY still make a profit off of their releases, since importing American releases is substantially more cheap for Japanese people to do than buying their own country's releases, due to the currency exchange. I'm betting a lot of Japanese Sailor Moon fans are buying Viz's releases of Crystal & Toku fans are getting Shout's releases of Super Sentai, since they get more episodes for far less money than Toei has done for THEIR releases. Plus they probably haven't had a rerelease of the Sentai seasons Shout's released in a while. Super's similar. The reason I'm waiting for the inevitable season sets is because they're 2-in-1's of the part sets & are cheaper than the 2 separated as a result. That's one reason I see.
But then there's also the fact that Toei's REALLY protective of their properties & still have some really archaic practices that they regularly enforce as a company, almost as bad as Nintendo in my opinion. They took TOO long to get a simulcast of subbed Super, they took over a year & a half to let FUNi start releasing their dub of the series, they wouldn't simply let FUNimation just release Kai TFC earlier than they did unless it was airing on TV for NO reason whatsoever, they regularly try to take DBZ Abridged down (that last one may not seem as serious as the last few, but DBZA, I would say, only helps them in the long run. Plus, whether you agree or not, it seems that their writers are taking inspiration from them at points, so it's not like it's entirely that bad), & the production schedule of DBS was REALLY not well handled whatsoever at first. I mean, they had the animators working to complete episodes in 4 weeks rather than the more reasonable 6 weeks or so just to get the earlier episodes out the door. We're lucky the earlier episodes didn't turn out MORE shitty than a lot of people consider them to be (which I NEVER got. Did episode 5 REALLY leave that bad a taste in people's mouths that they think the entirety of the first several arc had bad animation?), which they could've easily.
They're also seeming to more so please Toriyama rather than keeping character consistencies, the main of which is Goku, who's even MORE selfish & stupid than even in the Cell & Buu Sagas of Z, even in the manga if Kai's something to go off of. I have no problem with Goku being a simpleton, naive, & wanting to have fun with his training & fighting, since that's been a part of his character from the beginning, but the flanderization of these traits gets infuriating. I get that they want the writers to take Toriyama's intentions into consideration, since that makes sense, but it only serves to annoy people if they don't try to actually analyze what exactly Toriyama's intentions were by rereading the manga to gauge what each character was all about.

Anyways, if you want things to come quicker in home releases, that's not gonna happen. Even simuldubbed series have to wait a while after the Japanese releases to come out, at least physically. Digitally, I don't think there's a problem, but for some reason, FUNimation seems to have NO interest in releasing Dragon Ball digitally ANYWHERE but Amazon digital & Xbox Video for some reason. The last 2 movies are on iTunes, & the shows are on their streaming service, but I'd like to have the shows digitally on a service where it's a one-time payment & I own it forever, rather than paying for a streaming service I have no reason to use ever.
If you want the TV airings to speed up, that's not gonna happen either, mostly due to actor availability & lead-in time needed to record the dub. Plus, as you said, how long it took them to get the rights to the show.
Forneverworld, I'm thinking, must've been talking about a whole bunch of things he was told about how they were gonna do a bunch of the licenses they had but didn't announce at the time. That video was back in what? January or something? Surely he would've talked about something by now if there was anything to talk about. In any case, I've stopped watching him personally, mostly due to the Double4Clickbait VS Forneverending Clickbait BS that went on earlier this year, on top of the clickbait in his video titles that he constantly has, which I don't think I've drawn attention to enough.
Anyways, one thing I've learned with Toei is, don't be expecting next-level things ever, unless they actually give you reason to, because it's not gonna happen. Lower your standards, & have no hope for them, & you'll never be disappointed. I know I'm sounding depressing, but that's Toei for you.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Ugh. I hate this situation. I know it's just how it works, and it's Adult Swim's channel, and they totally have the right to do with it as they please, but we're never getting anywhere at this rate.

This is how it is now, unless Toei let them go ahead and release home video monthly, but I'm having a laugh there, truth be told - never happening.

You DO know how dubbing &/or releasing Japanese shows works, right? Unless it's a special case, like the Resurrection F movie, rarely do any anime shows or movies get dubbed & released within the same timeframe as the Japanese releases. This is a cost of the Japanese companies wanting to curb reverse importation as much as possible so THEY still make a profit off of their releases, since importing American releases is substantially more cheap for Japanese people to do than buying their own country's releases, due to the currency exchange. I'm betting a lot of Japanese Sailor Moon fans are buying Viz's releases of Crystal & Toku fans are getting Shout's releases of Super Sentai, since they get more episodes for far less money than Toei has done for THEIR releases. Plus they probably haven't had a rerelease of the Sentai seasons Shout's released in a while. Super's similar. The reason I'm waiting for the inevitable season sets is because they're 2-in-1's of the part sets & are cheaper than the 2 separated as a result. That's one reason I see.
But then there's also the fact that Toei's REALLY protective of their properties & still have some really archaic practices that they regularly enforce as a company, almost as bad as Nintendo in my opinion. They took TOO long to get a simulcast of subbed Super, they took over a year & a half to let FUNi start releasing their dub of the series, they wouldn't simply let FUNimation just release Kai TFC earlier than they did unless it was airing on TV for NO reason whatsoever, they regularly try to take DBZ Abridged down (that last one may not seem as serious as the last few, but DBZA, I would say, only helps them in the long run. Plus, whether you agree or not, it seems that their writers are taking inspiration from them at points, so it's not like it's entirely that bad), & the production schedule of DBS was REALLY not well handled whatsoever at first. I mean, they had the animators working to complete episodes in 4 weeks rather than the more reasonable 6 weeks or so just to get the earlier episodes out the door. We're lucky the earlier episodes didn't turn out MORE shitty than a lot of people consider them to be (which I NEVER got. Did episode 5 REALLY leave that bad a taste in people's mouths that they think the entirety of the first several arc had bad animation?), which they could've easily.
They're also seeming to more so please Toriyama rather than keeping character consistencies, the main of which is Goku, who's even MORE selfish & stupid than even in the Cell & Buu Sagas of Z, even in the manga if Kai's something to go off of. I have no problem with Goku being a simpleton, naive, & wanting to have fun with his training & fighting, since that's been a part of his character from the beginning, but the flanderization of these traits gets infuriating. I get that they want the writers to take Toriyama's intentions into consideration, since that makes sense, but it only serves to annoy people if they don't try to actually analyze what exactly Toriyama's intentions were by rereading the manga to gauge what each character was all about.

Anyways, if you want things to come quicker in home releases, that's not gonna happen. Even simuldubbed series have to wait a while after the Japanese releases to come out, at least physically. Digitally, I don't think there's a problem, but for some reason, FUNimation seems to have NO interest in releasing Dragon Ball digitally ANYWHERE but Amazon digital & Xbox Video for some reason. The last 2 movies are on iTunes, & the shows are on their streaming service, but I'd like to have the shows digitally on a service where it's a one-time payment & I own it forever, rather than paying for a streaming service I have no reason to use ever.
If you want the TV airings to speed up, that's not gonna happen either, mostly due to actor availability & lead-in time needed to record the dub. Plus, as you said, how long it took them to get the rights to the show.
Forneverworld, I'm thinking, must've been talking about a whole bunch of things he was told about how they were gonna do a bunch of the licenses they had but didn't announce at the time. That video was back in what? January or something? Surely he would've talked about something by now if there was anything to talk about. In any case, I've stopped watching him personally, mostly due to the Double4Clickbait VS Forneverending Clickbait BS that went on earlier this year, on top of the clickbait in his video titles that he constantly has, which I don't think I've drawn attention to enough.
Anyways, one thing I've learned with Toei is, don't be expecting next-level things ever, unless they actually give you reason to, because it's not gonna happen. Lower your standards, & have no hope for them, & you'll never be disappointed. I know I'm sounding depressing, but that's Toei for you.
I totally agree with you here, I was naive to think Toei would actually get with the times, and give their licensees the opportunity to get closer to the Japanese broadcast in order to narrow the gap, and make the dubs more accessible.

The home video arrangement they have with Funimation for One Piece is good, but that is likely because the dub is so far back, that it doesn't matter when their DVD sets are released, as they have no impact on the Japanese sets which have been out for years already.

ForneverWorld's video was early April (so you're right, if it would have been anything at all, it would have surely happened by now) but he did say something huge was about to happen for Dragon Ball Super, but he couldn't give any further details as it was confidential.
He seemed to be really excited, and kept saying huge Dragon Ball Super stuff coming, and he probably shouldn't have said it, but he had to because he was excited.
Bardock Obama said he knew too, and thanked Funimation for trusting them both with the info, weird.

The bottom line is, this is how it is, and this probably suits Funimation, as it's easier than Simuldubbing a weekly show.
Black Clover is 51 episodes, Monster Hunter was 48, so they have experienced simuldubbing a show for a straight year, and are in the process of doing one now, but Super at the moment has a lot of characters in play, and that would be challenging.
I know Funimation's old One Piece brand manager was considering a simuldub for it, but that dub is literally years back, and I couldn't see Toei letting them skip episodes, as when would they ever get chance to go back?.
Super is retrievable, 75 episodes could be caught up on provided the schedule is regular, and casting is done far enough in advance, but Toei are dinosaurs, and they won't want that.
At least we won't have hiatuses like other territories though, and that's a good thing.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 pm

I wonder if removing Super from the 8-9 slot could be related to the dark nature of the Goku Black Arc. Doubt it, but food for thought.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

I think it should also be noted that it wouldn't likely be a logistical nightmare trying to get Sean's lines recorded and mixed on a weekly basis, considering he doesn't live in Texas anymore, unlike the most of the supporting cast. Just about all of the Simuldubs Funimation puts out uses the local talent pool in Texas, whereas in Dragon Ball's case, we have major cast members that live all over the place now (and there's no way they'd recast Sean at this point without major backlash).

I think the release schedule we have right now is fine. I know some people want their anime quick, quick, quick these days, but dubbing does take time and resources, if you want a decent final product (I've found that some of the Simuldubs having miscasting and middling quality, likely due to the rushed production schedules, I'd hate to see that for Super).

Besides, we're only a little over a year behind the Japanese broadcast, which is a much quicker turn around than some of Viz's major titles, like Nature Shippuden and Sailor Moon Crystal which are over two years behind their Japanese releases, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter x Hunter which are 5 years behind.

@Blaze53

Nah, it's just adult swim being adult swim. Gotta have those perpetual, obligatory Family Guy reruns no matter what! :roll:
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 pm

wjbraden wrote:I think it should also be noted that it wouldn't likely be a logistical nightmare trying to get Sean's lines recorded and mixed on a weekly basis, considering he doesn't live in Texas anymore, unlike the most of the supporting cast. Just about all of the Simuldubs Funimation puts out uses the local talent pool in Texas, whereas in Dragon Ball's case, we have major cast members that live all over the place now (and there's no way they'd recast Sean at this point without major backlash).
From what I hear, Sean only records remotely now. I could be wrong of course, but it does simplify things a little, and is far more cost effective.
We're not getting a Simuldub anyhow, but I do believe the LA guys likely all record remotely, as surely, if it works for Sean, it does for the others too.
wjbraden wrote:Besides, we're only a little over a year behind the Japanese broadcast
To be fair, we're actually a year and a half behind, which is a big difference to just over a year, as if that were the case, we'd be nearly done with the Black Arc now.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Well, I mean, if Toei weren't so stingy about distributors NEEDING a TV airing to be able to release the show in another country, they COULD be doing what they did with Kai TFC & dubbing the arcs in chunks, then releasing the Blu-Ray & DVD sets right away every 3 months or so, depending on how they wanna do it so they don't catch up to the Japanese really quickly. Or, better yet, have the dub be a simuldub where the new episodes air within a few weeks of the Japanese broadcast like Attack On Titan Season 2 did, then release the home releases several months AFTER the Japanese ones, since AOTS2's release is coming in February release here in the states. I'm sure with Season 3 coming in January, February or March'll be the time we get the dub, if their last airing schedule's anything to go by.
The fact that they, literally, have dubbed over 550 episodes, 4 movies, & a special of One Piece in almost 10 years just shows how they could do Super if they had the freedom with it like they do OP. Though, I'm pretty sure that they give FUNi that freedom just because of how badly they screwed up with giving the license to 4Kids instead of them for some stupid reason we'll never know the answer to. They didn't even show the physical violence in YUGIOH, so how could they have hoped to manage to dub OP effectively? Anyways, if they were given that freedom, there's nothing they couldn't do with it. I wouldn't even care if they aired it on TV, just that I could own the episodes. A serialized story like Dragon Ball's better for binging anyways, especially with the glacial pacing seen in spots in the first 2 arcs & the BOG arc in general being terrible, especially when the movie was perfect.

Also, in terms of Forneverworld, he probably was told other things than what we could think. I imagine that James Marsters' casting as Zamasu, which I don't even remotely know why they're still keeping it a secret when everyone knows by now, or something. Maybe he was also excited about Kai TFC's future releases at the time, or something. In any case, we don't know.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:48 am

Scsigs wrote:Well, I mean, if Toei weren't so stingy about distributors NEEDING a TV airing to be able to release the show in another country, they COULD be doing what they did with Kai TFC & dubbing the arcs in chunks, then releasing the Blu-Ray & DVD sets right away every 3 months or so, depending on how they wanna do it so they don't catch up to the Japanese really quickly. Or, better yet, have the dub be a simuldub where the new episodes air within a few weeks of the Japanese broadcast like Attack On Titan Season 2 did, then release the home releases several months AFTER the Japanese ones, since AOTS2's release is coming in February release here in the states. I'm sure with Season 3 coming in January, February or March'll be the time we get the dub, if their last airing schedule's anything to go by.
The fact that they, literally, have dubbed over 550 episodes, 4 movies, & a special of One Piece in almost 10 years just shows how they could do Super if they had the freedom with it like they do OP. Though, I'm pretty sure that they give FUNi that freedom just because of how badly they screwed up with giving the license to 4Kids instead of them for some stupid reason we'll never know the answer to. They didn't even show the physical violence in YUGIOH, so how could they have hoped to manage to dub OP effectively? Anyways, if they were given that freedom, there's nothing they couldn't do with it. I wouldn't even care if they aired it on TV, just that I could own the episodes. A serialized story like Dragon Ball's better for binging anyways, especially with the glacial pacing seen in spots in the first 2 arcs & the BOG arc in general being terrible, especially when the movie was perfect.

Also, in terms of Forneverworld, he probably was told other things than what we could think. I imagine that James Marsters' casting as Zamasu, which I don't even remotely know why they're still keeping it a secret when everyone knows by now, or something. Maybe he was also excited about Kai TFC's future releases at the time, or something. In any case, we don't know.
I know you were only using that as an example, but with Marsters, he was disappointed, as he wanted Mercer, but sure, I see it as being something like that.

There are ways Toei could handle things differently, and not be too far removed from what they are doing now, but they are just too set in their ways unfortunately.
The Black Clover dub is well positioned, with the stream only a few weeks behind broadcast, and Toonami will be only a few weeks behind that.

If Toei weren't so adamant on TV deals, perhaps Funimation could have got the episodes available some months earlier, by streaming them ahead of Toonami, meaning we could be in the Black Arc now.
I totally agree that DB is best watched in batches, much like what they are doing in Europe, though the hiatuses are frustrating, they get entire Arcs aired within a few weeks.
France start the Goku Black Arc in January, and will likely be done with it come mid-February, but the uncut episodes air weeknights there on Toonami, so they are better positioned.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:I know you were only using that as an example, but with Marsters, he was disappointed, as he wanted Mercer, but sure, I see it as being something like that.

There are ways Toei could handle things differently, and not be too far removed from what they are doing now, but they are just too set in their ways unfortunately.
The Black Clover dub is well positioned, with the stream only a few weeks behind broadcast, and Toonami will be only a few weeks behind that.

If Toei weren't so adamant on TV deals, perhaps Funimation could have got the episodes available some months earlier, by streaming them ahead of Toonami, meaning we could be in the Black Arc now.
I totally agree that DB is best watched in batches, much like what they are doing in Europe, though the hiatuses are frustrating, they get entire Arcs aired within a few weeks.
France start the Goku Black Arc in January, and will likely be done with it come mid-February, but the uncut episodes air weeknights there on Toonami, so they are better positioned.
I'm one of the people who'd prefer Mercer too. I'm glad he's in the show as Hit, but I feel it's a bit of wasted potential. I'm willing to give Marsters another shot when the actual dubbed episodes air, since they had the translated scripts, animation, & better voice direction to work off of rather than just the script & VERY vague direction with not a lot of context of Xenoverse 2. The tone wasn't bad for Zamasu, but the direction was poor, kinda the opposite problem of Goku Black, whose direction was fine, but the voice tones sucked.
Yeah, Toei REALLY needs better brand management because they're still thinking with a pre-2010s mentality. Other studios are starting to adapt with the times, but Toei's just not. The fact that One Piece & Dragon Ball Super have had problems in the animation department adds to this. They need a change in management that can bring new ideas to the table. I brought up Nintendo because they're the video game company equivalents to Toei. A company run by old Japanese businessmen who don't know how to properly adapt to changes in how the world perceives media Both have been great companies & could be again if they had some fresh young blood behind the wheels.
We'll get to the Future Trunks arc in January as well, so it's not all bad. We'd already be starting it if Toonami didn't replace new episodes with different shows for marathons or whatever as often as they have. Toonami also needs a talk with Adult Swim because that wasn't entirely their fault. Sad times we live in.

Anyways, last night's episode. Anyone notice Whis' voice changed tone entirely when he spoke the divine language? Did they reuse the Japanese voice, or did Ian Sinclair learn how to change his voice entirely? Because that did NOT sound like him. It was jarring to watch, since they had Jason Douglas & Chris Sabat speak the language as Beerus & Super Shenron. Anyone else feel that way?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:I know you were only using that as an example, but with Marsters, he was disappointed, as he wanted Mercer, but sure, I see it as being something like that.

I'm one of the people who'd prefer Mercer too. I'm glad he's in the show as Hit, but I feel it's a bit of wasted potential. I'm willing to give Marsters another shot when the actual dubbed episodes air, since they had the translated scripts, animation, & better voice direction to work off of rather than just the script & VERY vague direction with not a lot of context of Xenoverse 2. The tone wasn't bad for Zamasu, but the direction was poor, kinda the opposite problem of Goku Black, whose direction was fine, but the voice tones sucked.
Yeah, Toei REALLY needs better brand management because they're still thinking with a pre-2010s mentality. Other studios are starting to adapt with the times, but Toei's just not. The fact that One Piece & Dragon Ball Super have had problems in the animation department adds to this. They need a change in management that can bring new ideas to the table. I brought up Nintendo because they're the video game company equivalents to Toei. A company run by old Japanese businessmen who don't know how to properly adapt to changes in how the world perceives media Both have been great companies & could be again if they had some fresh young blood behind the wheels.
We'll get to the Future Trunks arc in January as well, so it's not all bad. We'd already be starting it if Toonami didn't replace new episodes with different shows for marathons or whatever as often as they have. Toonami also needs a talk with Adult Swim because that wasn't entirely their fault. Sad times we live in.

Anyways, last night's episode. Anyone notice Whis' voice changed tone entirely when he spoke the divine language? Did they reuse the Japanese voice, or did Ian Sinclair learn how to change his voice entirely? Because that did NOT sound like him. It was jarring to watch, since they had Jason Douglas & Chris Sabat speak the language as Beerus & Super Shenron. Anyone else feel that way?
Regarding this week's episode, I thought it was great, I struggled to hear Ian at first with the divine language, but I played it again, and I could kind of tell it was him, at least for me anyhow.
Toei is headed up by the likes of Kozo Morishita & Katsuhiro Takagi, who have been there for nearly 50 & 40 years respectively, until the old guard are retired, we aren't going to see any change in practices like you said.
Nintendo are a good example, though they have had changes atop of the food chain, they just don't move forward with the times, as they aren't replaced with young blood who are versed in modern media and distribution.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 am

Looks like we have "buddy" in lieu of Zen-chan. Fair enough. Also, the guards "bye-cha" is "later gators" because why not?

Good ep. And yeah, Ian's voice really sounded different speaking in the divine tongue. Maybe some kind of filter they tried on his voice that didn't work out.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 am

Kataphrut wrote:Looks like we have "buddy" in lieu of Zen-chan. Fair enough. Also, the guards "bye-cha" is "later gators" because why not?

Good ep. And yeah, Ian's voice really sounded different speaking in the divine tongue. Maybe some kind of filter they tried on his voice that didn't work out.
Technically Zen-Chan didn't happen until the Trunks arc, still remains to be seen what they do.

That later gators made me laugh so much, didn't expect that at all lol.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 am

I wonder how this one will be dubbed.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Funimation haven't included Super on their latest Simuldub Trailer for the Autumn Season, which should put an end to the confusion it has been causing for some.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:02 am

...where’s today’s dragon ball super?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 am

I think having Toonami start at 10:30 PM is nice since more people can stay up to see it. I guess this years line up of episodes for Toonami in 2018 would go like this:

January 6th - Episode 45 (There will probably be no new episodes on the 22nd and 30th of December 2017)
January 13th - Episode 46 (There will probably be no new episodes on the 22nd and 30th of December 2017)
January 20th - Episode 47 (Future Trunks saga starts)
January 27th - Episode 48
February 3rd - Episode 49
February 10th - Episode 50
February 17th - Episode 51
February 24th - Episode 52
March 3rd - Episode 53
March 10th - Episode 54
March 17th - Episode 55
March 24th - Episode 56
March 31st - Probably no new episode due to Easter
April 7th - Episode 57
April 14th - Episode 58
April 21st - Episode 59
April 28th - Episode 60
May 5th - Episode 61st
May 12th - Episode 62
May 19th - Episode 63
May 26th - No new episodes due to Memorial Day Weekend
June 2nd - Episode 64
June 9th - Episode 65
June 16th - Episode 66
June 23rd - Episode 67 (Future Trunks saga ends)
June 30th - Episode 68
July 7th - Probably no new episode due to 4th of July weekend
July 14th - Episode 69
July 21st - Episode 70
July 28th - Episode 71
August 4th - Episode 72
August 11th - Episode 73
August 18th - Episode 74
August 25th - Episode 75
September 1st - No new episodes due to Labor Day Weekend
September 8th - Episode 76
September 15th - Episode 77 (Universe Survival saga begins)
September 22nd - Episode 78
September 29th - Episode 79
October 6th - Episode 80
October 13th - Episode 81
October 20th - Episode 82
October 27th - Probably no new episode
November 3rd - Episode 83
November 10th - Episode 84
November 17th - Episode 85
November 24th - Most likely no new episodes due to Thanksgiving Weekend
December 1st - Episode 86
December 8th - Episode 87
December 15th - Episode 88
December 22nd - No new episodes due to Holidays
December 29th - No new episodes due to Holidays
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Dpc292 wrote:...where’s today’s dragon ball super?
They had a Kai marathon, so they didn't air a new one.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:...where’s today’s dragon ball super?
They had a Kai marathon, so they didn't air a new one.
...but Kais over...why air it still?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Preview:
https://youtu.be/vb-Y0rTSsu4

Can't wait should be fun!

Ep titles:
December 9th- #43-"Goku's Energy Is Out of Control?! The Struggle to Look After Pan"
Dec 16th #44- "Seal of Planet Pot-au-feu - Secrets of the Unleashed Superhuman Water! "