"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat May 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I just said Vale's Trunks is INFLUENCED by his Sanji voice, didn't I? Also, Sabat's gotten better at distinguishing Piccolo & Zoro in the last 4 years with the newer movie & show dubs for DB, but, bruh, in the first 98 episodes, they're, basically, indistinguishable from each other. I think he realized how much he made them sound the same & made an effort to change how he's been doing Piccolo, as I've begun to notice the difference in TFC's dub, but before that, they were exactly the same when they talk at in a normal fashion.
Also, yeah, you've said the whole Goku & Gohan thing before, but if they have to have the exact same VA as each other in English, which the dubs TFC & Super have shown that that's the dubbing team's preference, even though Goten's still voiced by Kara Edwards, I'd vastly prefer Nodolny over Clinkenbeard. Too bad that ship's sunk apparently.
Not really, there's a deepness to Piccolo that Zoro has never had
In a few moments, I agree, but the majority of his lines otherwise sound too Zoro to me.
I don't hear it but to each their own
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I still have a difficulty taking Schemmel's King Kai seriously. He's absolutely awful. Yeah, King Kai is a comic relief character, but that doesn't mean he needs to be played like a joke. At least I could take Don Brown's King Kai seriously even if he didn't have the most fitting voice. I don't get why they couldn't get Doc Morgan or Brice Armstrong to do the voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deHETMzXesI Umm... are you even supposed to take Roshi seriously in the first place? He sounds like an old man in English, as you'd expect.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:I only really compare them if I've seen clips of the Japanese audio, or if a character was portrayed as I expected there VS in English, such as my dislike of Sean Schemmel's two Goku Black voices in Xenoverse 2 just not capturing the spirit of the character. I couldn't care less if he does exactly what Nozawa did for his performance, as long as he captures the spirit of the character's personality correctly trough his voice acting, & I just don't think he does with either SS4 or a British accent. If he just played Black as the stone cold, bragging, arrogant dude he is with a more serious, straight-forward version of his Goku voice, possibly a touch deeper to really elevate the difference too, I wouldn't have a problem with his Black voice, but he just doesn't get what he has to do for the role, not completely. They've tried both major suggestions I've heard; SS4 & a British accent. Neither are really fitting & it's just disappointing. If you'd like more of my thoughts on that let me know.
I don't get why people hate Goku Black's British accent. I love it, because it makes him look like an arrogant prick.
Caulifla best girl! :)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat May 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I still have a difficulty taking Schemmel's King Kai seriously. He's absolutely awful. Yeah, King Kai is a comic relief character, but that doesn't mean he needs to be played like a joke. At least I could take Don Brown's King Kai seriously even if he didn't have the most fitting voice. I don't get why they couldn't get Doc Morgan or Brice Armstrong to do the voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deHETMzXesI Umm... are you even supposed to take Roshi seriously in the first place? He sounds like an old man in English, as you'd expect.
They said nothing about Roshi
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Yeah, I get ya. It took me hearing Geekdom101's opinion to really think about Majin Buu's English voice, as I never did before, & I get that opinion. It's a lot like King Kai's voice. I personally don't mind either, but I get why others hate them if they do. My thing on them is that they make each character appear more surprising when they turn out to be bigger deals than they look. King Kai's very much a Yoda-like figure. He jokes around & has a weird voice in English, but when he gets serious, he gets serious. Same with Buu. The voice he has in English reflects his child-like demeanor & general attitude, but he's clearly capable of more than you'd think. I get it if people think they're generic, unfitting, or relics of a bygone era of anime dubbing, but I look at dubs from the standpoint of not comparing them to the Japanese versions & judging them based on their own merits & I don't think they're unfitting.

I only really compare them if I've seen clips of the Japanese audio, or if a character was portrayed as I expected there VS in English, such as my dislike of Sean Schemmel's two Goku Black voices in Xenoverse 2 just not capturing the spirit of the character. I couldn't care less if he does exactly what Nozawa did for his performance, as long as he captures the spirit of the character's personality correctly trough his voice acting, & I just don't think he does with either SS4 or a British accent. If he just played Black as the stone cold, bragging, arrogant dude he is with a more serious, straight-forward version of his Goku voice, possibly a touch deeper to really elevate the difference too, I wouldn't have a problem with his Black voice, but he just doesn't get what he has to do for the role, not completely. They've tried both major suggestions I've heard; SS4 & a British accent. Neither are really fitting & it's just disappointing. If you'd like more of my thoughts on that let me know.
I still have a difficulty taking Schemmel's King Kai seriously. He's absolutely awful. Yeah, King Kai is a comic relief character, but that doesn't mean he needs to be played like a joke. At least I could take Don Brown's King Kai seriously even if he didn't have the most fitting voice. I don't get why they couldn't get Doc Morgan or Brice Armstrong to do the voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deHETMzXesIUmm... are you even supposed to take Roshi seriously in the first place? He sounds like an old man in English, as you'd expect.
Have you forgotten that even Roshi has his serious and badass moments?
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I only really compare them if I've seen clips of the Japanese audio, or if a character was portrayed as I expected there VS in English, such as my dislike of Sean Schemmel's two Goku Black voices in Xenoverse 2 just not capturing the spirit of the character. I couldn't care less if he does exactly what Nozawa did for his performance, as long as he captures the spirit of the character's personality correctly trough his voice acting, & I just don't think he does with either SS4 or a British accent. If he just played Black as the stone cold, bragging, arrogant dude he is with a more serious, straight-forward version of his Goku voice, possibly a touch deeper to really elevate the difference too, I wouldn't have a problem with his Black voice, but he just doesn't get what he has to do for the role, not completely. They've tried both major suggestions I've heard; SS4 & a British accent. Neither are really fitting & it's just disappointing. If you'd like more of my thoughts on that let me know.
I don't get why people hate Goku Black's British accent. I love it, because it makes him look like an arrogant prick.
Because he doesn't need one to sound arrogant.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I don't get why people hate Goku Black's British accent. I love it, because it makes him look like an arrogant prick.
And you can't sound like an arrogant prick without a British accent? This is why I put "ask me more" at the end of that post; because I knew this exact thing would get brought up. It doesn't make sense for one big important reason; Goku Black is Zamasu in Goku's body & Zamasu won't have a British accent in the dub, so Black shouldn't either! I mean, how much more basic of an explanation can I give you? Yeah, an air of British during his more arrogant moments, like his speeches, would be a nice touch, but it's not like when Chris Ayres or Little Kuriboh gave Frieza a British accent in Kai & DBZA, the accent doesn't make any sense from a logic standpoint. Then again, it doesn't make much sense with Frieza either, but he's an evil tyrant, it's kind of a trope at this point.
Typing that last sentence might come back to bite me in the ass, but...
On top of that, where would you suppose he'd pick it up from exactly? None of the Kais are portrayed by any of their dub actors as British, & not a lot of people on Earth, at least in the dub, have a British accent outside of a few incidental one-off characters, nor would he be liable to pick it up from one of them, considering he hates any & every lower lifeform in existence, so why would he bother? I get it if they give a new character a British accent that's never been seen in the show before, but the fact that Zamasu doesn't have an accent in the dub will bring this up as a plothole if Sean retains the accent full-time as Black in the anime. Zamasu's lived his whole life in the upper dimensions of the Kais. Where in the hell would he have heard a British accent, or know it can signify arrogance?
From both a meta & in-universe standpoint, it doesn't make much sense.
Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Not really, there's a deepness to Piccolo that Zoro has never had
In a few moments, I agree, but the majority of his lines otherwise sound too Zoro to me.
I don't hear it but to each their own
Quite. Again, though, it's come a long way without adding the rasp back in, but when he redefined the voice for the beginning of Kai, it sounded much more close to Zoro than his old Piccolo to me.
Scsigs wrote:
They said nothing about Roshi
Oh my god, you're right. I swear I read in that response that he couldn't take Roshi's voice seriously in the dubs either, hence why I put that link. Did he edit it?
8000 Saiyan wrote:Have you forgotten that even Roshi has his serious and badass moments?
No, but that's kinda my point. In a series that doesn't always take itself so seriously, you don't always get what you expect. Roshi's a pervy old man who's also a great martial arts master. He's all parts comedic relief, minor annoyance, & badass all in one, hence my point about most of the voices. DB's not in a normal setting, so why would you always expect it to be that way?
By the way, if Dragon Ball Gus calls me a hypocrite for that statement, I've already stated my logic for hating Goku Black's English voice with a British accent if that IS the one they keep for the dub, so reread it if you forgot already.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat May 27, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Interesting, they're rerunning Episode 19 rather than show episode 20.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Scsigs wrote:Interesting, they're rerunning Episode 19 rather than show episode 20.
They're saving episode 20 for next week because they're having a Samurai Jack marathon for the duration of Toonami, meaning the 11:30 airing won't be happening.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 28, 2017 12:36 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Interesting, they're rerunning Episode 19 rather than show episode 20.
They're saving episode 20 for next week because they're having a Samurai Jack marathon for the duration of Toonami, meaning the 11:30 airing won't be happening.
That's what I gathered.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 28, 2017 7:08 am

Ep titles

S01, E22 Change! An Unexpected Return! His Name Is Ginyu! 17/6/2017

S01, E23 Earth! Gohan! Both on the Ropes! Hurry and Get Here Goku! 24/6/2017

S01, E24 Clash! Frieza vs. Goku: This Is the Result of My Training 01/7/2017

Champa arc should now start 29/7/17 provided no more unnecessary breaks.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 28, 2017 12:43 pm

After hearing Kale's voice in Dragon Ball Super Episode 93, (which is super cute, by the way), I thought about the perfect person who should voice her in the English dub, and I know, she doesn't really work at Funimation, but still, I think it's perfect casting. Stephanie Sheh, she would be perfect. All she has to do is use her Hinata voice, and it would work. So what do you guys think, do you think it's perfect casting, or do you got someone else in mind?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:After hearing Kale's voice in Dragon Ball Super Episode 93, (which is super cute, by the way), I thought about the perfect person who should voice her in the English dub, and I know, she doesn't really work at Funimation, but still, I think it's perfect casting. Stephanie Sheh, she would be perfect. All she has to do is use her Hinata voice, and it would work. So what do you guys think, do you think it's perfect casting, or do you got someone else in mind?
I was actually thinking that they should have Sheh come in to guest voice as Ribrianne (hope I spelled that right) since she has the Sailor Moon thing going on. I don't know who I'd pick for Kale, though.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 28, 2017 1:24 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:After hearing Kale's voice in Dragon Ball Super Episode 93, (which is super cute, by the way), I thought about the perfect person who should voice her in the English dub, and I know, she doesn't really work at Funimation, but still, I think it's perfect casting. Stephanie Sheh, she would be perfect. All she has to do is use her Hinata voice, and it would work. So what do you guys think, do you think it's perfect casting, or do you got someone else in mind?
I was actually thinking that they should have Sheh come in to guest voice as Ribrianne (hope I spelled that right) since she has the Sailor Moon thing going on. I don't know who I'd pick for Kale, though.
Or both.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Funimation distributed Your Name and Stephanie plays the main lead Mitsuha on that alongside usual Funi regulars in the supporting cast, so if that counts she's worked for Funi before. Personally though I'd prefer Trina Nishimura, her Mikasa voice could work quite well for Kale. I still want Jaime Marchi as Caulifla, but if we're talking non-Funi actors I'll happily take Erica Mendez or either of the two actresses who voice Junko Enoshima in the Danganronpa games.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 28, 2017 9:42 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Funimation distributed Your Name and Stephanie plays the main lead Mitsuha on that alongside usual Funi regulars in the supporting cast, so if that counts she's worked for Funi before. Personally though I'd prefer Trina Nishimura, her Mikasa voice could work quite well for Kale. I still want Jaime Marchi as Caulifla, but if we're talking non-Funi actors I'll happily take Erica Mendez or either of the two actresses who voice Junko Enoshima in the Danganronpa games.
Dude, I also want Jamie Marchi as Caulifla. For once someone actually shares an opinion with me. And as for Trina Nishimura voicing Kale, Maybe when she transforms, but Stephanie Sheh fits better for normal Kale.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: S01, E24 Clash! Frieza vs. Goku: This Is the Result of My Training 01/7/2017
Literally thinking back to Krillin in Supersonic Warriors.
"This is the result of my training!"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Plus they've had Yuri Lowenthal & Johnny Yong Bosch in their other dubs too. I'd love to hear THEM in DB as well if they can get them.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Scsigs wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Plus they've had Yuri Lowenthal & Johnny Yong Bosch in their other dubs too. I'd love to hear THEM in DB as well if they can get them.
You know it's funny you mentioned Yuri Lowenthal, because, before Xenoverse 2 DLC 1 came out, I originally pictured him as the voice of Cabba. (Even though everyone else was thinking Todd Haberkorn) But the person they got, Clifford Chapin, is perfect. Now you're thoughts on Stephanie Sheh potentially being the English voice of Kale, AND, Jamie Marchi as Caulifla? Do you agree with this, or do you got someone else in mind?

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: You know it's funny you mentioned Yuri Lowenthal, because, before Xenoverse 2 DLC 1 came out, I originally pictured him as the voice of Cabba. (Even though everyone else was thinking Todd Haberkorn) But the person they got, Clifford Chapin, is perfect. Now you're thoughts on Stephanie Sheh potentially being the English voice of Kale, AND, Jamie Marchi as Caulifla? Do you agree with this, or do you got someone else in mind?
I think the reason people like Sheh, Lowenthal, Bosch and Haberkorn get thrown around so much in what if casting is due to them being veterans. Sheh, Lowenthal and Bosch have been acting in anime for going on 10 years now. People know them more then some newer actors like Chapin, he's become the new wave of talent, comprised of actors like Justin Briner, Micah Solusod, Josh Grelle, Bryce Papenbrook, Austin Tindle and so many more. These new actors are the ones who get major roles now in new shows and get called up for important supporting cast members. I mean Lowenthal hasn't taken any new anime roles since 2013, aside from returning as Sasuke and Suzaku for Naruto and Code Geass, he's done mainly game acting. Maybe people who make what if dub casts aren't familiar with the modern talent pool at Funimation, but a lot of the mainstays of the past era barely act anymore in new roles. And then there's Kyle Hebert and Chris Sabat who look like they'll never stop voicing characters, thou they keep getting better so you won't see me complain, Sabat's All Might is spectacular in My Hero Academia's dub.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Dude, I also want Jamie Marchi as Caulifla. For once someone actually shares an opinion with me. And as for Trina Nishimura voicing Kale, Maybe when she transforms, but Stephanie Sheh fits better for normal Kale.
What about cherami Leigh?