"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:02 am

AvatarMew wrote:I know this is a sillyquestion but since Zeno didn't say "Son Goku".

Does this mean that Merged Zamasu won't be shouting it? I have no idea what could replace that.
It will probably play out like this:

'Goku: What happened... where is Zamasu?
Fused Zamasu: I AM HERE GOKUUUU!'

Also, I can't wait to hear the voice of Fused Zamasu with the echo effect.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:07 am

Nobody responded to my comments.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
AvatarMew wrote:I know this is a sillyquestion but since Zeno didn't say "Son Goku".

Does this mean that Merged Zamasu won't be shouting it? I have no idea what could replace that.

Or he could just say 'Son Goku' like he did in japan. Him saying that isn't dependant on whether Zeno said Goku's full name or not.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:35 am

If I had to guess, I'd say they would go with either "Damn you Goku!" Or "Curse you Goku!". Miki did such a good job in that scene, hopefully we get that same crazy yell with James too.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say they would go with either "Damn you Goku!" Or "Curse you Goku!". Miki did such a good job in that scene, hopefully we get that same crazy yell with James too.
I thought Miki hammed it up way too much in that scene.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:

Or he could just say 'Son Goku' like he did in japan. Him saying that isn't dependant on whether Zeno said Goku's full name or not.
The English dub has never referred to Goku as 'Son Goku'. That is not going to change in episode 66.
Miki did such a good job in that scene, hopefully we get that same crazy yell with James too.
He was very good in Xenoverse 2 DLC pack 4, I think he did very well the scream of agony when Trunks sliced him in half. I am confident that James will do a very good job with Fused Zamasu's crazy voice. In this video you can hear his voice as Fused Zamasu at the end of DLC pack 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCi41uGqEAQ.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:10 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:

The English dub has never referred to Goku as 'Son Goku'. That is not going to change in episode 66.
Uh, yes it has. Goku has referred to himself as 'Son Goku', Roshi, the Tournament Announcer, Frieza as well, Cell once did so if I'm remembering correctly.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Or he could just say 'Son Goku' like he did in japan. Him saying that isn't dependant on whether Zeno said Goku's full name or not.
Uh, yes it has. Goku has referred to himself as 'Son Goku', Roshi, the Tournament Announcer, Frieza as well, Cell once did so if I'm remembering correctly.
Not in Dragon Ball: Super, I reckon. And Zamasu didn't refer to Goku as 'Son Goku' in episode 53, so it doesn't make sense to have Fused Zamasu suddenly refer to Goku as 'Son Goku'.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Or he could just say 'Son Goku' like he did in japan. Him saying that isn't dependant on whether Zeno said Goku's full name or not.
Don't know about the games, but Goku's speech in Kai is the only time the Son name was ever used in the anime. Even the tournaments just used Goku.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say they would go with either "Damn you Goku!" Or "Curse you Goku!". Miki did such a good job in that scene, hopefully we get that same crazy yell with James too.
I thought Miki hammed it up way too much in that scene.
He's going to scream Son Goku. Just like how Schemmel made sure they used Son Goku for Goku's SS speech in Burst Limit/Kai, even though he never said it prior in the dub

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:31 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Not in Dragon Ball: Super, I reckon.
Which doesn't mean they won't have Zamasu scream it.

Kanassa wrote:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Uh, yes it has. Goku has referred to himself as 'Son Goku', Roshi, the Tournament Announcer, Frieza as well, Cell once did so if I'm remembering correctly.
It is quite senseless to make an exception for episode 66. It's not like people remember that scene because Zamasu screamed 'Son Goku' as opposed to just 'Goku', they remember that scene because of Miki's astonishing voice acting.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:05 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
It is quite senseless to make an exception for episode 66. It's not like people remember that scene because Zamasu screamed 'Son Goku' as opposed to just 'Goku', they remember that scene because of Miki's astonishing voice acting.
It wouldn't be senseless, nor an exception. It wouldn't even be noticeable.

Kanassa wrote:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Okay, I'm starting to get pissed. Am I seriously the only guy wondering why there's no preview for Episode 55 yet?!
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Uh, yes it has. Goku has referred to himself as 'Son Goku', Roshi, the Tournament Announcer, Frieza as well, Cell once did so if I'm remembering correctly.
Goku didn't introduce himself to Zamasu as "Son," so for Zamasu to suddenly bring it up without proper setup would break the dub's continuity. We already have problems in Kai having continuity errors in the dub (also with TFC keeping in the Hell scenes in the animation for no reason, but I digress), plus Super has some script inconsistencies at times, so for Zamasu to scream it would break the dub's own internal consistency.

Plus, the dub script writers NEVER think to use it, even when it would make sense, like Battle of Gods using "Sir Goku" instead of "Son," which doesn't make any sense & sounds redundant when you hear the full line of "I am Sir Goku, sir," which I don't get why that was the scripting or why Sean went with it whatsoever. It was Sean's insistence that got it put into Kai's dub in the first place anyways, so it's kind of a moot point anyways.
Valerius Dover wrote:Don't know about the games, but Goku's speech in Kai is the only time the Son name was ever used in the anime. Even the tournaments just used Goku.
Most of the games don't, but FighterZ has Goku in the dub say "I am Son Goku, the Super Saiyan" at times: https://youtu.be/Zdp82dnS6pE?t=2m52s, but I think that's the only game to do it so far. Usually the games will have "I am Goku, the legendary Super Saiyan," or some variant of that. Personally, I like the hammy over-the-top take from Budokai 1, "I am called Goku, and I am a SUPER SAIYAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!" You're more likely for TFS to use his full name than the official dubs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Just popping in to shower Marsters' Zamasu with praise. I've not been particularly hot on the Future Trunks arc's dub so far, but he's freaking outstanding. It's tonally on-point, and his delivery is naturalistic, never once falling into that irritating 'anime dub' delivery. Really looking forward to hearing some of Zamasu's big speeches from him... you know, without crappy no-context video game directing this time.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Okay, I'm starting to get pissed. Am I seriously the only guy wondering why there's no preview for Episode 55 yet?!
I'm curious too, but not so much that it's bothering me. I'm sure we'll get to see it soon enough.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Scsigs wrote: Goku didn't introduce himself to Zamasu as "Son," so for Zamasu to suddenly bring it up without proper setup would break the dub's continuity. We already have problems in Kai having continuity errors in the dub (also with TFC keeping in the Hell scenes in the animation for no reason, but I digress), plus Super has some script inconsistencies at times, so for Zamasu to scream it would break the dub's own internal consistency..
Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that recognized Vegeta.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Ajay wrote:Just popping in to shower Marsters' Zamasu with praise. I've not been particularly hot on the Future Trunks arc's dub so far, but he's freaking outstanding. It's tonally on-point, and his delivery is naturalistic, never once falling into that irritating 'anime dub' delivery. Really looking forward to hearing some of Zamasu's big speeches from him... you know, without crappy no-context video game directing this time.
It's definitely a big improvement on his dreadful XV2 delivery, and I can totally see how he fits the character now, but I still feel like some of his lines are delivered in too much of a cartoony way.

Also, can't decide on whether the way he pronounces mortal ("mmmmmortal") is charming or infuriating.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Goku didn't introduce himself to Zamasu as "Son," so for Zamasu to suddenly bring it up without proper setup would break the dub's continuity. We already have problems in Kai having continuity errors in the dub (also with TFC keeping in the Hell scenes in the animation for no reason, but I digress), plus Super has some script inconsistencies at times, so for Zamasu to scream it would break the dub's own internal consistency..
Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that recognized Vegeta.
Are we forgetting that Zamasu, before becoming Black, goes to ask Mr Know's Everything to tell him all about Goku?

Kanassa wrote: