"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:51 am

You know I DO have a secret untested weapon in this conversation! The dreaded G rating!

Before it went belly up, Vortexx had a G rated program known as WWE Saturday Morning Slam'. Sure it was a bit toned down, but I will forever be curious about its potential to be more liberal than TV Y7 FV. I still think TV Y7 FV can be done but this G rating could be even better!

And remember TheCW is dead, we'd no longer have to deal with their Standards and Practices. You cant show Bellemere being shot explicitly, but you can show Arlong wielding a green gun (They allow guns as long as they dont look like real guns. I know its really lame, but ITS WORTH IT) and then show Bellemere on the floor, her grave afterwards and let the viewer do the math.

TV Y7 FV on Saturday Mornings got away with way more than 4kids would have you believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ76nuzDWCk

Remember, we adults have the uncut DVD's. There's really no downside to an edited Funimation dub. 4kids was bad because.

1-They were the ONLY fucking dub available. No uncuts, no official subs NOTHING. I know there was Odex but it was mediocre & it only got to the beggining of Alabasta.
2-It was so terrible.
3-I hated it lol.

Funimation on the other hand already has an uncut version on DVD. That coverse all the episodes before the timeskip. So if you want uncut One Piece you can knock yourself up!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Uh oh, 30 more minutes until Episode 22 airs on Toonami. Someone kill me.
Caulifla best girl! :)

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Uh oh, 30 more minutes until Episode 22 airs on Toonami. Someone kill me.
What's so bad about episode 22? If anything, episode 24 is what you should fear.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Ugh I can't believe I'm rewatching this episode, seriously Ginyu tagoma was a bad idea but I did like the voice acting here, it was great to hear Chris ayres frieza again and that torture scene was pleasant to see
Last edited by The gr on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:26 pm

The gr wrote:Ugh I can't believe I'm rewatching this episode, seriously Ginyu tagoma was a bad idea but I did like the voice acting here, it was great to hear Greg ayres frieza again and that torture scene was pleasant to see
You mean Chris Ayres?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Seriously, after watching episode 95 and then watching this, Super looks like a completely different show right now compared to how it looked back in the ROF/BOG arcs... Can't believe how subpar Super was back then.

The only thing that saves this is the great voice acting by Funimations voice actors.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
The gr wrote:Ugh I can't believe I'm rewatching this episode, seriously Ginyu tagoma was a bad idea but I did like the voice acting here, it was great to hear Greg ayres frieza again and that torture scene was pleasant to see
You mean Chris Ayres?
oops my bad,I meant Chris ayres,I already edit that post
Hit!! wrote:Seriously, after watching episode 95 and then watching this, Super looks like a completely different show right now compared to how it looked back in the ROF/BOG arcs... Can't believe how subpar Super was back then.

The only thing that saves this is the great voice acting by Funimations voice actors.
I share this sentiment
Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Hit!! wrote:Seriously, after watching episode 95 and then watching this, Super looks like a completely different show right now compared to how it looked back in the ROF/BOG arcs... Can't believe how subpar Super was back then.

I personally don't have a problem looking back at the older episodes. Then again, I am looking at it on my TV instead of my computer.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:21 am

HeroR wrote:

I personally don't have a problem looking back at the older episodes. Then again, I am looking at it on my TV instead of my computer.
Personally, I've never had a problem with Super's animation quality outside of the really rushed episodes & moments. Given the time constraints the staff was under to animate them, I understand why the more poor moments exist & that they fixed most of them for the home releases & that the animation quality has gone up since.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:50 am

Man, Chris' Frieza is so deliciously evil! So racist & so sadistic. It's great for space Hitler, the fascist he is, especially with that voice. I really don't get it when people say they prefer Linda Young, besides nostalgia, because Chris Ayres is Frieza. Second only to Little Kuriboh in my mind, but that's only because LK usually has a more sadistic & playful script to work off of than Chris does for the most part.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:37 am

Scsigs wrote:Man, Chris' Frieza is so deliciously evil! So racist & so sadistic. It's great for space Hitler, the fascist he is, especially with that voice. I really don't get it when people say they prefer Linda Young, besides nostalgia, because Chris Ayres is Frieza. Second only to Little Kuriboh in my mind, but that's only because LK usually has a more sadistic & playful script to work off of than Chris does for the most part.
I like Linda and nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Kind of annoying when people think preference for something that isn't popular is only nostalgia.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:46 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Man, Chris' Frieza is so deliciously evil! So racist & so sadistic. It's great for space Hitler, the fascist he is, especially with that voice. I really don't get it when people say they prefer Linda Young, besides nostalgia, because Chris Ayres is Frieza. Second only to Little Kuriboh in my mind, but that's only because LK usually has a more sadistic & playful script to work off of than Chris does for the most part.
I like Linda and nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Kind of annoying when people think preference for something that isn't popular is only nostalgia.
I only said I didn't get why people prefer her. Chris does a better job.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:48 am

Scsigs wrote: I only said I didn't get why people prefer her. Chris does a better job.
I am not the biggest fan of Chris honestly, especially with fans keep telling me how great he is.
Kanassa wrote:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:00 am

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:To be fair, it was the voice direction that made those voice actors suck. Despite 4Kids being a bad dubbing company, the voice actors that worked for the company like Veronica Taylor, Marc Diraison, Mike Pollock, J. David Brimmer and many others are definitely talented.
Yeah, but most of their main actors were the only good actors they had. Many of the secondary & tertiary ones were so bad, it wasn't even funny.
Their actors for Pokemon were awesome. Especially the late Maddie Blaustein :(

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:26 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:To be fair, it was the voice direction that made those voice actors suck. Despite 4Kids being a bad dubbing company, the voice actors that worked for the company like Veronica Taylor, Marc Diraison, Mike Pollock, J. David Brimmer and many others are definitely talented.
Yeah, but most of their main actors were the only good actors they had. Many of the secondary & tertiary ones were so bad, it wasn't even funny.
She was one of their mainstays, so that goes without saying.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:40 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I only said I didn't get why people prefer her. Chris does a better job.
I am not the biggest fan of Chris honestly, especially with fans keep telling me how great he is.
I get it; hype backlash, but all I'm saying is that, to get the most enjoyment out of Linda Young, you'd have to have some kind of nostalgia for it, but I guess it's not necessarily required for some. For me, even as a kid, while Linda Young's Frieza voice grew on me, it wasn't the most ideal voice I would've wanted if I were in charge of the casting for Z's dub. It's kinda like Masako Nozawa as Goku. I can get used to it if I HAVE to hear her voice for Goku, Gohan, & Goten, but Sean, Kyle/Nodolny, & Edwards/McCollum will always be Goku, Gohan, & Goten to me, mostly because Nozawa still sounds like a raspy old woman to me, same as Young. I can understand people liking those voices, but they're just not the ideal picks for me as those characters. Same with Colleen Clinkenbeard as Kid Gohan & Kid Goku; she isn't the first pick I'd go for, but I've already explained in other places why that is.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:51 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I get it; hype backlash, but all I'm saying is that, to get the most enjoyment out of Linda Young, you'd have to have some kind of nostalgia for it, but I guess it's not necessarily required for some. For me, even as a kid, while Linda Young's Frieza voice grew on me, it wasn't the most ideal voice I would've wanted if I were in charge of the casting for Z's dub. It's kinda like Masako Nozawa as Goku. I can get used to it if I HAVE to hear her voice for Goku, Gohan, & Goten, but Sean, Kyle/Nodolny, & Edwards/McCollum will always be Goku, Gohan, & Goten to me, mostly because Nozawa still sounds like a raspy old woman to me, same as Young. I can understand people liking those voices, but they're just not the ideal picks for me as those characters. Same with Colleen Clinkenbeard as Kid Gohan & Kid Goku; she isn't the first pick I'd go for, but I've already explained in other places why that is.
I agree on Young as Freeza. I don't know how popular my opinion is but I feel she got worse with final form Freeza after she ditched the deeper voice. Even as a little kid I never felt her voice unless it was with the voice filter like for his second and third forms.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I'm not a Pokemon fan. I used to, but then it just kept on going and going. Their voices were good, but nothing special compared to the Japanese version. I associate the New York talent pool way more with their work on Berserk, Gundam Unicorn and TMNT.

Besides, I can't fathom how people can tolerate more than two or three seasons of that damn anime. It's basically the same crap all over again. I can't wait for Ash to lose for the billionth time. If 4Kids were still dubbing, they should have changed the lyrics to: "I'll never be the very best..."
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm

I really don't wanna watch this episode after the latest JPN episode but Ayres is too much to pass up on and the voice cast have been killing it so eh guess it isn't the end of the world.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Which episode does the 3rd ending appear? I can't wait to listen to it dubbed.