"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 am

shadowmaria wrote:Zamasu was still voiced by James Marsters and it was enough of an indication to see how he'll sound

Caulifla and Kale will likely be the same situation.
Yeah, but...that acting. Dude literally sounded as though he got himself hammered before walking into the booth ("I! Am a GOOOOOOOOD!!")
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Zamasu was still voiced by James Marsters and it was enough of an indication to see how he'll sound

Caulifla and Kale will likely be the same situation.
Yeah, but...that acting. Dude literally sounded as though he got himself hammered before walking into the booth ("I! Am a GOOOOOOOOD!!")
He must act really well drunk then. Sounded great to me.

(Of course, I most likely wasn't exactly sober either so..... :lol: )
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:45 pm

That was likely direction more than anything

Rosé Goku Black, Beerus, Whis, and Super Saiyan God all sounded bad when they debuted in the games due to limited ability to direct them, but they came around in the end.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 pm

shadowmaria wrote:That was likely direction more than anything

Rosé Goku Black, Beerus, Whis, and Super Saiyan God all sounded bad when they debuted in the games due to limited ability to direct them, but they came around in the end.
Exactly. That's my point. I'm saying to be careful not to judge Kale and Caulifla just by their game performances.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:That was likely direction more than anything

Exactly. That's my point. I'm saying to be careful not to judge Kale and Caulifla just by their game performances.
Oh absolutely, that's why it'll be a good indication but may not be final (even though they've probably dubbed their first episodes by now, considering they're less than a couple of months away)

Hit wasn't final, remember that.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 pm

One thing I'm hoping for is that they pronounce Caulifla's name correctly. Cause man, I am just so sick and tired of people pronouncing it "Khalifla". It's like, dude, you don't pronounce Cauliflower, which is what her name is based off of, as "Khaliflower".
Caulifla best girl! :)

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 pm

It'll probably be pronounced

"Cowl-ee-flah"

And Kale will probably get "Kale" or "Kay-le"

Then again, we all thought it would be Gowas and Zamas, and we got Gowasu and Zamasu so *shrugs*

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:24 am

Promo for Dr. Slump episode next week
https://youtu.be/jnHQIrtKSvM

Anyone know if Arale's VA the same from Tenkaichi 3 or a new person, also it seems like they'll be referring her as an 80's gag manga character instead of simply a gag manga character

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:23 am

shadd21 wrote:Promo for Dr. Slump episode next week
https://youtu.be/jnHQIrtKSvM

Anyone know if Arale's VA the same from Tenkaichi 3 or a new person, also it seems like they'll be referring her as an 80's gag manga character instead of simply a gag manga character
Pretty sure that's still Brina Palencia (who played her in Tenkaichi 3), as I believe she already reprised in an earlier episode of Super (though that was such a quick cameo it was easy to forget and hard to tell for sure). I've always felt she was a great Arale, so it'll be fun to hear her in a proper episode instead of just a game cameo.

What'll be really interesting is to see and hear who they get for Senbei. Back in Dragon Ball, it was Brice Armstrong, who has since retired. He also was...ehh...not a great Senbei. He was a great actor, but the direction and voice were always pretty off for him there I felt.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:03 am

What episode is the next ED?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:29 am

Oh yeah! Super pumped for the next 8 weeks!
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What episode is the next ED?
Episode 73.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:46 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:One thing I'm hoping for is that they pronounce Caulifla's name correctly. Cause man, I am just so sick and tired of people pronouncing it "Khalifla". It's like, dude, you don't pronounce Cauliflower, which is what her name is based off of, as "Khaliflower".
It is hard to make out what you mean with you just written like that but if your complaint it that people do not pronounce her name like in "cause", well, she is written as Karifura and if I would write the katakana for a "cau" that is pronounced like in "caus" then a simple "Ka" would not be my first choice but rather something like a "ko" (maybe with a chouon behind it). So a normal "Ka" for Caulifla is fine the way they pronounce it based on Karifura, especially as the sounds of the katakana can still be understood as mimicking multiple slightly different yet similiar sounds.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Oh yeah! Super pumped for the next 8 weeks!
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What episode is the next ED?
Episode 73.
Ah, still a while aways then!

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 am

Doing a small prediction:
June 30 - 69
July 7 (assuming no 4th of July marathon) - 70
July 14 - 71
July 21 - 72
July 28 - 73 (new ED)
August 4 - 74
August 11 - 75
August 18 - 76
August 25 - 77 (TOP arc starts)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 am

I love Jackson, "Pig-scrimination" aha that cracked me up! Also this episode was a fun way of tying up the loose plot point about the time machine.

I don't like Tipton's Trunks to be honest, too godamn whiny.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 pm

I love that it looks like they're keeping all the 4th-wall humour and Dr Slump references intact for the upcoming episode. I guess when you're already so deep in "Japanese reference that will be impenetrable to 90% of the casual English-dub audience", you may as well go all in. The addition of "80s gag manga" is likely either a lip-flaps thing, a bit of extra explanation or both. It's hilarious if you take it outside of context though. Apparently the Dragon World had an 80s? I mean judging by some of Bulma's hairstyles back in the Z days, the characters were certainly living the decade if nothing else.

Wait, what year is Super set in? According to DBWiki (shut up, it was the first Google result) we're in Age 780 around now? That means the 80s have only just started. So how can Vegeta reference them? THE DUB'S TAKING LIBERTIES AGAIN. EVERYTHING'S GOING WRONG!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I love that it looks like they're keeping all the 4th-wall humour and Dr Slump references intact for the upcoming episode. I guess when you're already so deep in "Japanese reference that will be impenetrable to 90% of the casual English-dub audience", you may as well go all in. The addition of "80s gag manga" is likely either a lip-flaps thing, a bit of extra explanation or both. It's hilarious if you take it outside of context though. Apparently the Dragon World had an 80s? I mean judging by some of Bulma's hairstyles back in the Z days, the characters were certainly living the decade if nothing else.

Wait, what year is Super set in? According to DBWiki (shut up, it was the first Google result) we're in Age 780 around now? That means the 80s have only just started. So how can Vegeta reference them? THE DUB'S TAKING LIBERTIES AGAIN. EVERYTHING'S GOING WRONG!
RIOT IN THE STREETS! BOYCOTT FUNIMATION!!
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I love that it looks like they're keeping all the 4th-wall humour and Dr Slump references intact for the upcoming episode. I guess when you're already so deep in "Japanese reference that will be impenetrable to 90% of the casual English-dub audience", you may as well go all in. The addition of "80s gag manga" is likely either a lip-flaps thing, a bit of extra explanation or both. It's hilarious if you take it outside of context though. Apparently the Dragon World had an 80s? I mean judging by some of Bulma's hairstyles back in the Z days, the characters were certainly living the decade if nothing else.

Since Dragon Ball also takes place in Dr. Slump's continuity....I guess that means its both 780 and 2017 in the Dragon Ball Universe (the first chapter of Dragon Ball being set in 1984). I think they revealed this back when Battle of Gods came out, so that way the movie could take place in 2013.

That makes Gohan my exact age too lol
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I don't like Tipton's Trunks to be honest, too godamn whiny.
I noticed that from when she first took over at the start of Super. Even if Trunks is just talking normally, he sounds like he is whining.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:30 am

I wonder if FUNimation will dub the insert song in tonight’s episode.